• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
my movie rankings would probably look like this:

Akira
Evangelion 2.22
Summer Wars
Evangelion 1.11

I really liked the family atmosphere of Summer Wars; if they made a movie dedicated entirely to that, I'd watch it. The characters were likable, the dialogue was great, and it was just a really charming thing to watch. The world-saving is where things get a little...fuzzy. While the animation and art design were stunning, it all felt rather drawn-out. It seemed like it should have ended around the King Kazma fight, and the decision to have the climax hinge on a card game and then on math problems instead of these fantastic action scenes just seems like a step down. The Power of Friendship/Family stuff at least made sense within context, but that doesn't really stop it from seeming a little hokey. Wabisuke being the inventor and some of the family members showing up with stuff like a supercomputer or some big-ass army vehicle were hard pills to swallow, too. I think my real problem, however, was that Natsuki disappeared for like half the movie until she popped back into existence for the climax, so the romance never felt authentic. None of this really stops the movie from being entertaining, and I'd probably watch it again, but it could definitely use some work.

Summer Wars gif

pharaoh-punch-o.gif

*grabs Seda's arm*

NOW I'VE GOT YOUR POWE--!!

*banned*

I'd say that they wouldn't be aired mostly due to age.

they really aren't that old, and they're both well-known shows. there's nothing that guarantees they won't go for something like either of those as opposed to some random new anime. hell, Darker Than Black and Gurren Lagann are newer than both Tenchi GXP and Samurai 7, and only like a year older than Casshern Sins.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I really liked the family atmosphere of Summer Wars; if they made a movie dedicated entirely to that, I'd watch it. The characters were likable, the dialogue was great, and it was just a really charming thing to watch.

Truly; I actually felt like everyone had a reason and purpose to being there, and none of it felt desperate, or like they were created just to fill a niche. They all added in to this massive family dynamic, that invited you into learning about these oddly interesting individuals...

The world-saving is where things get a little...fuzzy. While the animation and art design were stunning, it all felt rather drawn-out. It seemed like it should have ended around the King Kazma fight, and the decision to have the climax hinge on a card game and then on math problems instead of these fantastic action scenes just seems like a step down.

The first time I saw SW, I felt it was kinda long, which was OK, since it had so many characters. Seeing it again, I felt like I was happy with each thing; The fact it DOESN'T end in simply "whoever wins the fight... WINS EVERYTHING!" seems like a step up from the regular anime "just do enough to satisfy fight maniacs!" quota. It'd be really shallow for a Military grade AI to be beat simply because he lost a PVP match. Proving that gifted people could stand up to him on every level of his programming really said a lot more in the end.

The Power of Friendship/Family stuff at least made sense within context, but that doesn't really stop it from seeming a little hokey. Wabisuke being the inventor and some of the family members showing up with stuff like a supercomputer or some big-ass army vehicle were hard pills to swallow, too.

"Everything in the world is centered around your family!" was a bit out there, but I think it fed back to how influential Granny Sakae was, so I'm mostly OK with it. I had such fun with the absurdity of it, that I'm totally fine with saying "...ANIME!" and running with it.

I think my real problem, however, was that Natsuki disappeared for like half the movie until she popped back into existence for the climax, so the romance never felt authentic. None of this really stops the movie from being entertaining, and I'd probably watch it again, but it could definitely use some work.

The Natsuki part I can agree with some, as I do remember feeling a "So... when's the cool bunny chick show up?!?" Feel when I first saw the movie. Natsuki's so prominent in the art, and to the family, but a few more scenes to sell that to us would have been nice.

I do feel a bit of "If Granny Sakae approved, that's all you need!" with the romance, though. She could see to the root of a person, and decide their worth instantly with all her experience, so Natsuki and her family probably feel no worry about his worth. And the whole family was pretty women dominated; if Natsuki wants him now, he's pretty much got.

It's Kazma, guys. Kazuma is the kid.

And I got it wrong in my art, too, DOH! Exchange image with Kazuma the Shell Bullet, sing "Wreckless FIRE!", and we're all good again...

Fixed. Seda, I am disappoint. SHOW YOUR DAMN RESPECT BY INCLUDING GRANNY IN THE OT TITLE!

Granny Sakae was best character, TRUTH. SO many awesome old people that kicked butt on Toonami last night... except the Texan Trash Can with Arms. Noone likes that guy.

The first time I saw SW, I felt it was kinda long, which was OK, since it had so many characters. Seeing it again, I felt like I was happy with each thing; The fact it DOESN'T end in simply "whoever wins the fight... WINS EVERYTHING!" seems like a step up from the regular anime "just do enough to satisfy fight maniacs!" quota. It'd be really shallow for a Military grade AI to be beat simply because he lost a PVP match. Proving that gifted people could stand up to him on every level of his programming really said a lot more in the end.

well, i'm not necessarily saying to cut it off right at the fight. the card game and maybe even some other stuff can be incorporated in there somewhere, but suspense movies (at least least movies with a lot of suspenseful parts) should be paced in such a way that the most impressive parts come last. and i don't think that was the case here, which is why everything ultimately being decided by a card game was a disappointment. the fight scenes were the most impressive suspenseful part of this movie to me, so putting them in the middle before something like a card game was just...weird.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
they really aren't that old, and they're both well-known shows. there's nothing that guarantees they won't go for something like either of those as opposed to some random new anime. hell, Darker Than Black and Gurren Lagann are newer than both Tenchi GXP and Samurai 7, and only like a year older than Casshern Sins.

Considering Toonami's recent trend of putting on fairly recent shows, I'm going to disagree.

Considering Toonami's recent trend of putting on fairly recent shows, I'm going to disagree.

they've also all been fairly well-known shows (besides maybe Blue Exorcist), and we don't know how they'll handle things in the future. coming out in 2007 is nowhere near a definitive "this will NOT air because it's too old."

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
they've also all been fairly well-known shows (besides maybe Blue Exorcist), and we don't know how they'll handle things in the future. coming out in 2007 is nowhere near a definitive "this will NOT air."

Well... We'll see. Considering the shows ending soon are already being replaced with fairly recent shows and the fact that by the time a new show airs the time gap will be even larger, I have to logically assume that the chances of DtB, and GL also, are extremely low.

Well... We'll see. Considering the shows ending soon are already being replaced with fairly recent shows and the fact that by the time a new show airs the time gap will be even larger, I have to logically assume that the chances of DtB, and GL also, are extremely low.

it's really not as low as you're making it out to be. that's 7 years, with shows older than that having aired on the block already. Aniplex's library is pretty small, and they already shopped Gurren Lagann out to Neon Alley. Darker Than Black is one of Funimation's more popular titles and would probably appear on any list of "what is the next Funimation show that should air." when Toonami said some things were "too old", the example they gave was Ranma 1/2. these really aren't even close to the extremely low chances of Steins;Gate, which had nothing resembling action until like episode 11 or 12, or Jojo, with its massive licensing issues.

in other news, TV Guide has a Cowboy Bebop marathon listed after Trigun. pleasegodnopleasegodnopleasegodno (this seems like something they'd just say to cover their tracks, but still)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To be fair, at the moment, I think the only real licensing issue with Jojo at the moment for the anime would be the ED. Namco has shown that they were able to keep the names for some of the music references in Part 2 with localizing All-Star Battle. Now granted, Part 3, I have no idea, since that has a bit more & as shown by the Capcom fighter, some names did have to be changed. But I think Part 1 & 2 could get dubbed easily.

in other news, TV Guide has a Cowboy Bebop marathon listed after Trigun. pleasegodnopleasegodnopleasegodno (this seems like something they'd just say to cover their tracks, but still)
Wow, that was rather fast if true.

Let's hope so. Or for a Kickheart/Cowboy Bebop marathon just for you and BassForever .

guys......the Tumblr says Samurai Jack returns in February.....if it replaces FLCL the only way that can happen is if there is some kind of marathon after Trigun........

LOLDSFAN

Well I guess a marathon wouldn't be too big of a deal since I'll be sleeping after Trigun anyway. Will be a little sad to see InuYasha not on my DVR though.

guys......the Tumblr says Samurai Jack returns in February.....if it replaces FLCL the only way that can happen is if there is some kind of marathon after Trigun........

Keikakuintensifies.gif

Weird they'd pay to have a bebop marathon and not just cut igpx to let it air on the block.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
When Lich King Said old he basically meant Gundam Wing or Rurouni Kenshin old, not mid 2000's old.
Yeah, considering the oldest "new" show we got, GXP (something something disliked it), was from 2002, it seems to be anything within this decade is fine. Just nothing from 1999 or older.

Seda

Wait, Triguns seems to remove FLCL's slot anyway, so whether or not there's a marathon wouldn't matter? There was some confusion at how long the movie is, but if it takes 3 hours (w/commercials) then FLCL wouldn't air.

This is what Zap2it says about the second half of that night.

wAcym2l.png

Wait, Triguns seems to remove FLCL's slot anyway, so whether or not there's a marathon wouldn't matter? There was some confusion at how long the movie is, but if it takes 3 hours (w/commercials) then FLCL wouldn't air.

the DVD says it's 90 minutes. hm..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom