• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT9| This thread is made of LOVE and PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
81rmDJrTcBL.png

they have 90 minutes pretty prominent there

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
well, i'm not necessarily saying to cut it off right at the fight. the card game and maybe even some other stuff can be incorporated in there somewhere, but suspense movies (at least least movies with a lot of suspenseful parts) should be paced in such a way that the most impressive parts come last. and i don't think that was the case here, which is why everything ultimately being decided by a card game was a disappointment. the fight scenes were the most impressive suspenseful part of this movie to me, so putting them in the middle before something like a card game was just...weird.

It seemed to fit the way the movie seems to turn so many expectations on their head. We had a powerful family full of warrior blood full of strong women, the Hikkimori shut in actually being good at real world marital arts and NOT a pastey-faced shut-in, the guy the most popular girl in school pines for is a math nerd, a whole world basically accepting Anime-Second Life as a manageable and reasonable way to wire society, and Grandma being a take-charge, strong willed woman who gets things done, rather than slowly decaying in her old age, and needing everyone else to lead her about...

It was all very weird. I would have ended up a bit disappointed if they did anything in too plain a way.

that reminds me. Did we go through an entire night without a Shirley Temple commercial?

I... think you're right! Shirley 'merial's died with GESH?!?

in other news, TV Guide has a Cowboy Bebop marathon listed after Trigun. pleasegodnopleasegodnopleasegodno (this seems like something they'd just say to cover their tracks, but still)

.... I don't know if I have enough Bebop Pics left in me to do that... well... Ok, actually... I could probably have a lot of fun with that...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Rechecked my blu-ray copy, it has that "90 minutes of intense donut eating action", but then runtime says 137 minutes. I guess they added up the bonus feature stuff.

Seda

Rechecked my blu-ray copy, it has that "90 minutes of intense donut eating action", but then runtime says 137 minutes. I guess they added up the bonus feature stuff.

I was wondering if it was something like this, do you know what the bonus stuff is? Not only does that week have the Bebop marathon but has Trigun running for 3 hours. Kind of screwy, maybe they just haven't bothered to put in the correct schedule.

Jintor

So is there anything I need to know about trigun before I watch the movie??

This dude Vash is a wanted criminal and an awesome gunslinger but also a pacifist. This dude Wolfswood is his buddy and also a priest and his giant cross is basically a portable armoury. Merril and Milly are insurance agents who are trying to prevent Vash from causing tremendous property damage but basically end up as his friends.

Together, they fight crime!

...insofar as anyone can fight crime on a planet that is pretty much Wild West: the Planet

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was wondering if it was something like this, do you know what the bonus stuff is? Not only does that week have the Bebop marathon but has Trigun running for 3 hours. Kind of screwy, maybe they just haven't bothered to put in the correct schedule.
SPECIAL FEATURES:
  • Staff and Cast Interviews
  • Movie Premiere at Cinema Sunshine Ikebukuro
  • Post Recording
  • A Mildly Awesome Story by Something Yoshimatsu
  • Video Footage from Anime Expo 2009
  • Talk Event at Kawasaki Cinecitta’
  • Special Talk Show
  • Web Promotion Clip
  • Promotional Video
  • Theatrical Commercial
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Original Commercials
  • Trailers

Edit: From Funimation's site:

Main Feature Runtime: 90
Special Feature Runtime: 145

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I loaded it up on Netflix and scrolled to the end. 90 minutes, 35 seconds. So unless that version is heavily edited the Blu-Ray release must be counting all the content on the disc.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I loaded it up on Netflix and scrolled to the end. 90 minutes, 35 seconds. So unless that version is heavily edited the Blu-Ray release must be counting all the content on the disc.
Considering Funimation's site has two listings for runtime, one for the main feature & one including the special features, I think the Blu-Ray version just combined the runtime for both of them since it's on one disc while the DVD version has 2 discs.

Amikami

Banned
This dude Vash is a wanted criminal and an awesome gunslinger but also a pacifist. This dude Wolfswood is his buddy and also a priest and his giant cross is basically a portable armoury. Merril and Milly are insurance agents who are trying to prevent Vash from causing tremendous property damage but basically end up as his friends.

Together, they fight crime!

...insofar as anyone can fight crime on a planet that is pretty much Wild West: the Planet

Awesome. Thanks!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So is there anything I need to know about trigun before I watch the movie??

vash is a true bro, but everyone is against him. Also he is a plant.

I thought I sent this like forever ago but the waiting 60 seconds before posting screwed that up

Amikami

Banned
vash is a true bro, but everyone is against him. Also he is a plant.

I thought I sent this like forever ago but the waiting 60 seconds before posting screwed that up

Whaaaa? Or do you not mean this in the literal sense?

.. how has this been 18 pages already? The fuck?

Toonami is like the most powerful thread over here in the communities. Just look how many threads we've been in just a little over a year and compare that to others like the manga thread. And we're only getting faster at getting through them.

foxuzamaki

Whaaaa? Or do you not mean this in the literal sense?

Toonami is like the most powerful thread over here in the communities. Just look how many threads we've been in just a little over a year and compare that to others like the manga thread. And we're only getting faster at getting through them.

No, I mean he is a plant

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Toonami is sort of like China: that short period of irrelevance is over and we're returning to our powerhouse status.

Actually I think this place is entering it time of oddness known as the weekday. Seriously you people scare me sometimes with the conversations in here during the off-week.

It seemed to fit the way the movie seems to turn so many expectations on their head. We had a powerful family full of warrior blood full of strong women, the Hikkimori shut in actually being good at real world marital arts and NOT a pastey-faced shut-in, the guy the most popular girl in school pines for is a math nerd, a whole world basically accepting Anime-Second Life as a manageable and reasonable way to wire society, and Grandma being a take-charge, strong willed woman who gets things done, rather than slowly decaying in her old age, and needing everyone else to lead her about...

It was all very weird. I would have ended up a bit disappointed if they did anything in too plain a way.

subverting expectations is kind of meaningless when that just means it results in odd pacing. it doesn't necessarily have to boil down to a fight, but it needs to be more impressive than those fight scenes. and the card game did not accomplish this.

I wish I could post enough to make the top Toonami posters, but I don't have enough chops to keep up with some of the weekday discussion.

It's....informative at times, though.

foxuzamaki

I wish I could post enough to make the top Toonami posters, but I don't have enough chops to keep up with some of the weekday discussion.

It's....informative at times, though.

Stay for inuyashagaf and you can make it into the top 5

Seda

I didn't post all too much during Summer Wars, it was pretty entertaining to just read the reactions as I watched the movie.

foxuzamaki

I didn't post all too much during Summer Wars, it was pretty entertaining to just read the reactions as I watched the movie.

Do you know which page in the last thread did we start coming in for summer wars? I want to read last night's reactions, I never had so much fun watching a movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom