• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toothache really is the worst pain out there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawg

I've had my fair share of pain in my life (burned my leg once on the motorcycle muffler, damn that hurt) but nothing has been as bad as the state I'm currently in. A while ago, one of my left teeth lost a piece of tooth... And there's a crack in the middle now. It wasn't that bad the first few days, because I hardly felt it. Because of that, I kinda forgot about it. I told myself I'd get it checked next time I visit the dentist.

My appointment with the dentist is this friday, but goddamn... I should have gone way earlier. It's been some weeks and maybe even a month or three since I lost that piece of tooth and I'm feeling the aftermath of it now. Most of the days I don't feel anything, but when I do... It's hell on earth. I have to make sure I don't use my left side to bite on anything, but every now and then a piece of food finds it way to that one tooth. This happened a few minutes ago and I'm now losing my shit... the pain is literally the worst kind of pain I ever felt. When I move my tongue to the tooth, I feel some kind of flesh inside. I'm fairly sure that's not ok. It's not some food or anything, it's actual flesh. It wasn't there a few days ago, and it makes the pain worse. I don't know what the English name for it is and I don't want to look for it now. I can tell you the pain builds slowly from "it's okish" to "pls kill me".

Anyway, I should of went to dentist much sooner... But you know, if there's no pain... You often don't feel the urge to go... As the dentist tends to be as bad as the toothache itself. (Although that's a bit of exaggeration, but still..)

You ever experienced similar toothache, gaf? And was it the worst kind of pain you ever felt? Or is there anything even worse?

Shit, I got a appointment this week to get my wisdom tooth taken out. Not going through hell like the previous one, that shit brought me down to my knees. This one is fully out, but it I feel pressure once in a while. I remember my mom saying, "I rather give birth than go through that pain again" LOL.

DJ_Lae

Tooth pain for me too - I simply could not believe the level of pain that a goddamn tooth could cause.

It got to the point that even without any dental coverage I was ready to drop a grand to fix the problem immediately. It came in waves and when it was at its worst there was basically nothing I could do but try and endure it.

Dental surgeon prescribed me oxycodone to quell the pain and even that did not cut all of it.

GodofWine

Id say my dual herniated disc and them basically cutting my spinal chord in half (squishing in half is the more proper term) would be my pinnacle of pain, and mine lasted 18 months (worst of it was 3 months).com

But both are 'nerve pain' and nerve pain sucks. See that movie about the hiker that had to cut of his own arm?? Yea, he did the nerve last :/

jgmo870

Banned
I had a similar issue a couple of years back but I waited to go see a doctor for a month when the infection spread from the tooth. The pain from that was much, much worse.

edbrat

You ever experienced similar toothache, gaf? And was it the worst kind of pain you ever felt? Or is there anything even worse?

Yes I have had similar to you and that was enough, you don't fuck around after one time dealing with that shit. If you think you can hack toothache then stop what you're doing and start an MMA career, because if you are tough enough to handle toothache then you are tough enough to kick ass in MMA without ever training or learning how to fight. That is roughly how badass you need to be to hack toothache.

If you want some pain management recommendations, what worked for me was ibuprofen and the toothpaste sensodyne. I haven't tried these but some people swear by vanilla essence or clove oil for dental pain. Godspeed OP.

ifeltdatfeel.jpg OP

Shit hurts. I had both of my bottom molar's crack (one due to a 20 year old huge ass filling and the other due to my teeth grinding at night) and the pain was awful. Especially when drinking or eating anything cool or warm.

Now I have 2 crowns.

It can be terrible. It's so painful because of all the pressure from the infection that builds inside a tooth. Unlike the rest of your body teeth obviously can't swell to alleviate it.

Apendisitis is pretty bad

Passing a large kidney stone made me black out

Im not a woman but I imagine giving birth to be pretty ruthless

Trick_GSF

Banned
I've had bad toothache before. Often even, several abscesses while growing up, but...

I am terrified of the dentist, and as a child would go into hospital and get knocked out rather then have dental work while at the dentist awake. The last dental work I had done was when I was 14 and I pretty much had to get bribed to go by my family, and that was for only a couple of fillings.

12 years later (this January) I developed a severe abscess in one of my molars. I was in pain for about a week. Quite severe, actually. It was ruining my life.

Then, one morning it happened. A burst of pain so bad I can hardly believe it could exist. My ear, head and tooth were in absolute agony. Agony is a overused word, but in this case I was literally on the verge of vomiting due to pain. It was about 9 AM and I was begging my Mum to ring the dentist.

After about 10 minutes of this I felt like I was getting delirious. Luckily, it soothed somewhat and I got emergency treatment about an hour later. I've since had the rest of my teeth (5) fixed up and it is a relief.

Alas, the tooth that caused that agony sits in my mouth still, waiting to strike again.

I chickened out the day I was to have it removed. I know, I know..

Subitai

Had one for about a week after christmas from a cavity. I never had a problem w/ dentists before this, but afterwards I appreciated them and really can't understand all the jabs they get in media.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Local anesthetic injected in the sole of my foot. To me at the time, it was like this:

Screen+shot+2010-12-30+at+3.49.53+PM.png

I've never had a really bad toothache but it sounds like it sucks hard... hope you feel better soon OP.

luso

No wonder our ancestors had bad teeth: in such pain, just pull it!
And that's why in old pictures/photos none are smiling, they had terrible dentition.

I've had some bad toothache pain but nothing compared to the excruciating/radiating bone pain from neupogen shots during cancer treatment. Once the white blood cells start regenerating and overstimulating the bone marrow its some of the worst pain I've ever felt. Cant sit down or lie down without being in terrible pain.

Dawg

Heh, thanks everyone.

Can't wait till friday, but I have a feeling it'll be an extra week till they'll be able to fix it. Reason I say this, is because I'm pretty sure there's an abscess on my tooth. It doesn't seem to be big, but after biting on that piece of food earlier, I feel like a part of it is now outside my tooth. I can't check it, because I don't have any small mirror laying around.

Toothaches are certainly one of the meanest pains in modern life, but certain earaches and kidney problems can be quite horrible, too.

In the medical everyday life, an acute pancreatitis seems to be sheer terror for the poor victims.

Tesseract

Banned
Heh, thanks everyone.

Can't wait till friday, but I have a feeling it'll be an extra week till they'll be able to fix it. Reason I say this, is because I'm pretty sure there's an abscess on my tooth. It doesn't seem to be big, but after biting on that piece of food earlier, I feel like a part of it is now outside my tooth. I can't check it, because I don't have any small mirror laying around.

dude have them call you in some vics.

Throbbing pain rather than pain when you ear/drink? Sounds like an abscess. I've had a couple, can be very painful. Root canal or it's getting yanked out!

I have suffered from bad tooth ache in the past (I'm British) so bad that I paced up and down all night waiting for the emergency dentist to open. I thought that was the worst pain I had ever experienced. Then I had kidney stones, they made the tooth ache seem like a mild discomfort. Seriously, I was in hospital clutching my then girlfriends hand begging her for help. The hospital had given me as much morphine as they safely could but it didn't even come close to denting the severity of the pain. Awful...

black_13

Banned
I've never had huuuge denture pain but the worst pain is when the dentist injects these massive syringes in your nerves inside your mouth to do root canals and stuff.

Stomach Ulcer is the 2nd worst pain I've had.

Wrist pain was probably the 3rd worst.

Knock on wood it hasn't been that bad so far.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Injuries to the rib cage or migraine headaches for me

A previous bad toothache for me was solved with a root canal. Which then lead to the tooth breaking eventually and now I have a wonderful pirates tooth instead. Happy days!

TUSR

Banned
I've never had huuuge denture pain but the worst pain is when the dentist injects these massive syringes in your nerves inside your mouth to do root canals and stuff.

Stomach Ulcer is the 2nd worst pain I've had.

Wrist pain was probably the 3rd worst.

Knock on wood it hasn't been that bad so far.

IN YOUR NERVES.

Injuries to the rib cage or migraine headaches for me

Hey my TN gives me migraines and ive broken 2/3 ribs tobogganing once.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
OP thats the shitty thing about dental problems, if there is pain its usually too late. I learned the hard way twice lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nah, the worst pain is when you yawn and accidentally stretch your jaw too much, that pain is indescribable. It hurts so much that I cry when it happens.

SuperBonk

Yes it's quite bad. Go to the dentist guys!

But I believe trigeminal neuralgia is one of the most painful conditions of all time. I mean, it is called suicide disease after all.

FYI, your teeth are innervated by the trigeminal nerve!

Az987

all good things
Cluster headache and trigeminal neuralgia are, the latter I have.

Yeah, I have Atypical facial pain which is similar to trigeminal neuralgia.

It kind of feels like a tooth ache if your whole face was one giant tooth and you multiplied the pain by 100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom