• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Grossing Retail Games of 2014, Ubisoft notes half were open world

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
1. FPS
2. Sport
3. Open World
4. FPS/RPG
5. Open World
6. Open World
7. FPS/Open World
8. Fighting/Party
9. Sport
10. Sport
To add to this:

1. Activision Blizzard
2. EA
3. Take-Two
4. Activision Blizzard
5. Ubisoft
6. Ubisoft
7. Ubisoft
8. Nintendo
9. EA
10. EA

The retail industry pretty much revolves around four third party publishers these days.

The freedom of playing the same game I played last year with a different title.

Yes

But Mass Market doesnt care man. And you have to figure these are people that just play games without thinking much about games as an industry

They might only pick up a controller to entertain themselves in bursts etc...

I feel like GAF should have this all separated in their heads by now. It bothers me but at the same time I am grateful for all the grass roots efforts that have popped up to give us the gaming variety that corporate game makers cannot fulfill.

Smash on 3ds was such a great idea. Both my nephews who typically spent most of their time playing games on their phones have become addicted to Smash and even started branching out to other titles on the 3ds that they probably never would have tried.

jaina

If not for the 3DS version, Mario Kart 8 would've been there instead of Smash.

Yep,
Nintendo FY15 numbers, so not entirely comparable to this thread, but shows the 3DS/WiiU ratio:
Super Smash Bros 3DS LTD: 6.75 million
Super Smash Bros Wii U LTD: 3.65 million
Mario Kart 8 LTD: 5.11 million

random25

Besides Smash, all those games are on all platforms, having both ACs mixed equals the metric.

What I mean is if they mix two different games just becauae they're both AC then have FIFA games mixed in as well, or if they make 2 FIFA games as separate entries then might as well separate the 2 AC games too.

Euron

Players' growing appetite for Freedom
Then why do I feel so limited by most open world games now? I'm cut off from going to certain portions of the map and during missions I have to stay on one predetermined path or else I fail it. And don't even get me started on their "stealth"

/rant

FluxWaveZ

Looking back to the list, I can't believe FIFA 14 was able to make it alongside FIFA 15. Ugh.

Games one can easily guess will be on the 2016 list, regardless of actual quality (in no particular order):

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
2. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
3. Madden NFL 16
4. FIFA 16
5. Star Wars: Battlefront
6. Metal Gear Solid V
7. Batman: Arkham Knight
8. Halo 5: Guardians

The retail industry pretty much revolves around four third party publishers these days.
What first party games sell like mad outside of like I dunno Pokemon (New generation games not remakes) anymore?

If not for the 3DS version, Mario Kart 8 would've been there instead of Smash.

Oh yeah surely but, maybe behind Madden.

EDIT: I only just realized FIFA 14 and 15 are on this list. What the hell?

Dr Dogg

That's completely the reverse order I thought all 3 (well technically 4 but I doubt Rogue sold that much at all) Ubisoft titles. Far Cry 4, while having a few issues, was the less controversial of their titles. Then again the marketing omph behind Watch_Dogs was insane.

Linkhero1

1. FPS => CoD: Advanced Warfare
2. Sport => FIFA 15
3. Open World => GTA V
4. FPS/RPG => Destiny
5. Open World => AC Unity + Rogue
6. Open World => Watchdogs
7. FPS/Open World => Far Cry 4
8. Fighting/Party => Smash Bros. 4
9. Sport => Madden 15
10. Sport => FIFA 14

Appreciate it. Does Smash Bros 4 include handheld version as well? I think the other list didn't include handhelds.

ZhugeEX

Banned
To add to this:

1. Activision Blizzard
2. EA
3. Take-Two
4. Activision Blizzard
5. Ubisoft
6. Ubisoft
7. Ubisoft
8. Nintendo
9. EA
10. EA

wow......

Ah well, at least Koei Tecmo can make a musou out of all of them.

I always thought COD was losing audience the last 1-2 years. I guess I was totally wrong.

It has been. That's how big the peak of the COD craze was.

300px-Marvin_the_Martian.svg.png

Daemul

Destiny is in no way shape or form an open world game, something which I am very grateful for mind you. Ubisoft pls go.

Also, two FIFA's?! OMFG! This series get's worse every year and people are still buying it. Konami really need to not fuck up anymore and try and get PES back to the top.

FluxWaveZ

To add to this:

1. Activision Blizzard
2. EA
3. Take-Two
4. Activision Blizzard
5. Ubisoft
6. Ubisoft
7. Ubisoft
8. Nintendo
9. EA
10. EA

Nice, that puts things into perspective even more.

Not like one should really expect different nowadays; the uber-budget video game industry is what it is. Seeing such a lack of diversity is never pleasant, though.

Daemul

I always thought COD was losing audience the last 1-2 years. I guess I was totally wrong.

It has been, it's just that it sold so much at the height of it's glory that it's going to take a while before it drops down to normal game sale levels.

Toxi

Banned
Combining both Assassin Creeds? LOL Ubisoft

Also, as someone who enjoys watching football but never really tried out sports games, it sucks to hear FIFA has so many problems right now. Is there a good football game to start out with, like Pro Evolution Soccer or an older FIFA?

SalvaPot

Title should be "According to Ubisoft."

Mixing AC Unity and Rogue its almost cheating, in that case I believe Pokemon ORAS makes the cut too.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Title should be "According to Ubisoft."

Mixing AC Unity and Rogue its almost cheating, in that case I believe Pokemon ORAS makes the cut too.

It lists (value) so being handheld priced titles takes a lot off the sales revenue.

It has been. That's how big the peak of the COD craze was.

300px-Marvin_the_Martian.svg.png
There are certainly other publishers trying to get there, but hey, the top 10 lists what it lists!

MMaRsu

Banned
Two Fifa games. My god. And fifa 15 is a bug fest. wtf this is crazy. I am shocked.

Man just how much money EA makes from yearly fifa games.

Just shows people either dont care or dont know about pes15.

Fifa15 is garbage compared to 14.

jgf

Combining both Assassin Creeds? LOL Ubisoft
Why not, it's their yearly franchise. All they care is how much did this years ac sell? Makes sense to me. Although the numbers for the split between last gen and current gen would be interesting.

Other franchises also include releases on all systems. IMHO comparing cod numbers on all systems to ac unity numbers makes less sense then comparing it to the combined ac versions. It's not optimal, though

Toxi

Banned
Why not, it's their yearly franchise. All they care is how much did this years ac sell? Makes sense to me. Although the numbers for the split between last gen and current gen would be interesting.

Other franchises also include releases on all systems. IMHO comparing cod numbers on all systems to ac unity numbers makes less sense then comparing it to the combined ac versions. It's not optimal, though
Because they're two entirely different games with different development studios and budgets that just happened to be released on the same day. This list is looking at the top-selling retail games, not franchises.

And if they're just putting together everything under the same tent, then why not combine FIFA sales?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
wait you can't just put Unity and Rogue together

they're entirely different games

right?

Toxi

Banned
wait you can't just put Unity and Rogue together

they're entirely different games

right?
Yes.

Combining them as one game because they were released on the same day would be like saying Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime are the same game from a sales perspective because they released on the same day and both have Metroid in the title.

Welfare

Yes.

Combining them as one game because they were released on the same day would be like saying Metroid Fusion and Metroid Prime were the same game from a sales perspective because they released on the same day and both have Metroid in the title.

But one is an FPS and the other a side scroller

- Ubisoft logic

This is why Konami, Sega and the rest of japanese publishers are weaker than ever. Out of those top 10 only one is japanese and its from Nintendo. The rest? With exception of GTA it's the same every goddamn year: a slew of EA, Ubisoft and Activision titles always. Most of them from annual franchises.

This industry somehow teached a bunch of people to buy the same 5 games every fucking year so they don't have to buy anything else the rest of the year.

And you wonder why there's no Breath of Fire VI, Suikoden IV, Contra 5 or Klonoa 3 on consoles.

EDIT: also, I always knew FIFA was more popular than Madden simply because Fútbol makes American Football pale in comparison in popularity in the world but I didn't know it was this big. I assume this is worldwide? Or is it just US sales? Could the US really have Fifa sell more than Madden so much that two FIFAs are in the top 10!?

Top Bottom