• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Grossing Retail Games of 2014, Ubisoft notes half were open world

maltrain

Don´t believe always all this "official sales". I can tell you big companies, like Activision, "sell" thousands of games on first months to distributors for putting their games on top of those lists. But they are years after selling them at discounted prices.

Call of Duty is the best example.

Before Ghosts, Activision NEVER reduced the price of a game before the announcement of the previous one. NEVER. You could go to a distributor and they sold you the game at the same price for almost a year.

What happened with Ghosts? After all this time, many distributors still have "day one" copies of the game supposedly sold "on the first month" for NPD or GFK purposes. I've seen the boxes with the "embargo paper" on it. In fact. We could access to reduced prices very few months later because demand was SO low. The game, today, we sell it (I work on a retail store) at the lowest price EVER for a CoD game. The same happened (not that bad) with Advanced Warfare.

Evolve? Pfff... I don't know how they launch another edition when distributors are offering the game (day one) at ridiculous prices... and even then we possibly won't buy it because NOBODY FUCKING CARE about the game.

DON'T trust on this NPD monthly software rankings. They can say games are "sold" but they don't say to who. I can tell you, many of them are "sold" to distributors who keep the games for months and sold them, most of the times, specially on this generation, for very low prices months or even years later.

We just received, last week, several boxes of Bloodborne that were "sold" to Sony Latinoamerica (where, by the way, Mark Stanley made a very bad job before leaving, buying a lot of stuff they couldn't sell after years) and the game now is at half price with good margin of profit.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lol at Ubisoft calling Destiny an open-world game, and their hiding the AC Unity sales by bundling them with Rogue.

So does Bungie: http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/21/destiny-taken-king-interview

One of the biggest comparisons Destiny got at launch was to Borderlands. How have you distanced yourself from that comparison?

JB: I think the social aspect is a big differentiator -- and I like Borderlands a lot. But the social aspect is a big part of it. Running into players in the open world who might very different motivations from you but working together in public events, matchmaking, playing through strikes. A lot of the Taken King strikes have new mechanics that I think players will enjoy when they play with friends.

haimon

Too bad smash made that list, that makes me sad.

/s

Do you actually see how pretentious you are thumbing your noses at games that are aimed at the mass market succeeding?

It amazes me sometimes seeing how some people here treat games that are not the games they deem worthy.

FluxWaveZ

What do we think top 10 for 2015 will be?

Random guess without looking at numbers, in no order:

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
2. FIFA 16
3. Madden NFL 16
4. FIFA 15
5. Star Wars Battlefront
6. Halo 5: Guardians
7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
8. Fallout 4
9. Mortal Kombat X
10. Battlefield Hardline

What I said before:
Looking back to the list, I can't believe FIFA 14 was able to make it alongside FIFA 15. Ugh.

Games one can easily guess will be on the 2016 list, regardless of actual quality (in no particular order):

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
2. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
3. Madden NFL 16
4. FIFA 16
5. Star Wars: Battlefront
6. Metal Gear Solid V
7. Batman: Arkham Knight
8. Halo 5: Guardians

Top Bottom