• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Grossing Retail Games of 2014, Ubisoft notes half were open world

RPG mechanics are now passe huh? The best games of last year were arguably Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry 4. At least the numbers support these as being in demand.

With games like Batman, Witcher, The Phantom Pain, Fallout, Just Cause, Mad Max, Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4 all open world type games, clearly the best stuff coming down the pipe is all open world. The sentiments in this thread are fascinating, but everyone the hate for Ubisoft is as popular as their games lol.

Edit: Forgot about Dragon Age Inquisition being at the top of last year as well.
wow uncharted 4 will be open world, is this why ND delayed it?

Sitris

pYpAfgh.jpg
Absolute brilliance, sometimes simplicity is perfection.
In saying that though, I do enjoy my Ubisoft open world titles, but I honestly can't pinpoint why.

forrest

formerly nacire
I disagree with that. Whilst this may be true for main story missions, the side objectives and patrols have you exploring all over the different locations. It's very much explore everywhere, complete your bounties wherever or however, and collect everything you can in the process.

The first time I tried to explore in Destiny, I was given 4 seconds to turn around or die. I love the game, but "explore everywhere" does not belong in a description of it.

Fully open worlds can be great when done right.

Watch how the market gets saturated with boring open world games. this industry finds it so difficult to have any sort of middleground when it finds its next cow.

Need more games like Crackdown that actually build the missions into the game structure and let you affect the world. More interactivity with stuff is needed too, I'm tired of only being able to interact with civilians by killing them.

Open world sucks except for open world games. lol.

What I mean by that is i dont want fucking Racing games, Adventure/Action Games, Horror games, RPG's to all be open world

Sitris

I'm calling them bad because the formula is bad. You only have to compare those games with earlier entries in the same series to reflect that.
The problem with saying a blanket statement like that is it is not entirely correct, yes the formula has been done to death to the annualised titles, but it does not instantly make those games worse off, for some people they enjoy what that formula produces. I for one found more enjoyment out of the more 'formulated' Unity over the AC4 pirate game, because it was more like the previous games formula.

Adding more open worlds while removing depth did not make better games. Is Skyrim better than Morrowind? Is Inquisition better than Origins? They certainly sold more!

You might say yes, but saying otherwise is not contrarian, it is just the reality of what those newer games are, which is nowhere close to where they are could be. So just copying them again because they sell is selling gaming short.
In regards to the series you mention here, elder scrolls/dragon age, I feel as if they have been improved, they have taken the base that the previous games (at least in part) built.

In the case of skyrim, the game was a increase of things to do in almost every case. I can understand people liking or preferring previous entries in the series, but to say they would be better for not applying the franchises 'formula' or DNA would potentially alienate the fanbase they have worked so hard to get hold off. This does not make the games worse, it makes them part of a franchise that has certain themes to them, to change it too much would cause some different but equally valid criticism (dead space 3 is a good example here).

I do agree that every game franchise shouldn't just churn out sequels, but I would argue against changing it too much as well.

daninthemix

wow uncharted 4 will be open world, is this why ND delayed it?

If Uncharted 4 is anything even remotely resembling open world, I will eat my hat.

Naughty Dog games are one of the biggest arguments for open worlds, as whenever I play them I do so with the nagging sense that I might as well be watching someone else do it, saving myself the energy, and the end result would be exactly the same.

Also, I don't subscribe to the 'Ubisoft formula' crap - the Far Cry games are fantastic, and you can simply engage with as many or as little of the activities/collectibles as you wish, while inhabiting a massive and beautiful environment.

I suppose the same can be said of AssCreed, but AssCreed - a game of movement and combat - always seems to make such a chore of both movement and combat. Nonetheless, the worlds themselves hold great merit. Simply existing in them has a certain appeal, even if the gameplay sucks.

Ubisoft makes good open world games and bad ones. Their world-building is fantastic, even if their game-building isn't, always.

joecanada

Open world is what many of us crave but it was about freedom of choice. Sick of " you must use the yellow key for the yellow door" we craved something more. Vice City was a huge step forward. Want to race me? Here eat an RPG then let's race. oblivion - I think I'll kill that old lady because she looked at me wrong.

This doesn't include climbing 20 towers and 20 of the exact same assassination missions, it also doesn't include taking all my weapons away and forcing me into a psychedelic world to ring a bell or shoot crazies with a bow and arrow. How about wandering a hipster hell office building to deliver a fucking package
Ubi thinks they know, they have zero clue.

Ambient80

Lol @ Destiny. It's about as open world as Battlefield 4.

Edit: I will add that I wish it was truly open world. They certainly made it seem like it was going to be before release. I know I specifically remember someone at its unveiling say "If you see it, you can go there," talking about traversing the worlds. Such a shame. Probably my biggest disappointment in a game ever.

RexNovis

Banned
Here's my question is a world truly open when its plastered with precise objective markers and that entail repetitive tasks? Just because its a big space you can move in doesnt make it a WORLD. I'd argue a world is a living breathing dynamic thing. A world is a vast expanse than can be explored and discovered organically not via precisely placed checkpoints. There's a massive difference between a world and a checklist no matter how impressively long or ornate that checklist might be. UbiSoft needs to learn that and until they do their games will continue to be virtual guided tours complete with limited premade tasks disguised as "discoverable content."

If UbiSoft wants to see a contemporary open world game that is getting the idea of a true open world dynamism, discovery, and exploration they can look to what No Man's Sky is attempting to do or what Fallout New Vegas accomplished.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Need more games like Crackdown that actually build the missions into the game structure and let you affect the world. More interactivity with stuff is needed too, I'm tired of only being able to interact with civilians by killing them.

And this is why I plan on getting an XBO.

As a fan of open world games I like that its doing well.

Petrae

Open-world games lose my attention quickly. I start out okay, but then I drive/walk/ride around aimlessly for awhile and lose track of & lose interest in what I'm supposed to do to move the story along.

That said, it's obvious that open-world games are the hot thing right now. More open-world games means fewer purchases for me, which is fine. Meanwhile, those who like the open-world model will have a lot to look forward to going forward.

Vibrant

Banned
Sounds about right. I'm surprised at two fifas though. What other games could have adequate this list? I can't think of any.

DOWN

Banned
I don't understand anyone buying sports games. They are the must underwhelming, janky "AAAs" on the market.

Ubisoft makes the worst open world games. I think I saw Amirox call them "map cleaning simulators," which I thought was a good description of the shit they pump out year after year. I wish people didn't eat it up so much. These games are soulless iterations year in and out.

I don't understand anyone buying sports games. They are the must underwhelming, janky "AAAs" on the market.

Oh come on, what's up with that elitist hipster BS?
Games like FIFA and Madden transcend gaming and sell systems, if you like the sports you will have fun with them.

TriAceJP

I can't see myself enjoying games in the future if they seriously end up amping up the number of open world games.

Stampy

I am waiting for good open world game design ideas which don't rely on GPS map and redundant sidequests.

SOTC was a good example.

Why create all these beautifull enviorments just to force players to constantly have their eye on a mini-map. :/

daninthemix

I am waiting for good open world game design ideas which don't rely on GPS map and redundant sidequests.

SOTC was a good example.

Why create all these beautifull enviorments just to force players to constantly have their eye on a mini-map. :/

Some let you turn the HUD elements off, thus making it the player's choice. This is better than annoying those people who do want waypoints etc.

danmaku

Some let you turn the HUD elements off, thus making it the player's choice. This is better than annoying those people who do want waypoints etc.

Yup. AC games do this since the first one and have a ton of visual and audio cues to avoid using the minimap. Sometimes it's necessary to take a look at the world map, but most of the times you can play without it. Wait, AC did something right? Does not compute. Ubi is satan, AC is the devil and open world will destroy gaming. According to GAF.

LOL i actually like Ubisoft games but this is too damn good.

Thing i loved about Bloodborne is that there wasnt a map, it really made me work out where to go and as a result i actually remember all the paths and areas and how to get there which made the game much more memorable and special. Its been years since i have played a game where i have been able to do that and i realised its the over reliance on maps and waypoint markers.

With most other open world games i hardly ever remember exact locations or routes to get there because i just stick the waypoint on and away i go.

This is correct, and I've been saying this for a while: don't use the map (if the game allows it). Open world is about exploration, if you have a map with everything marked on it you're sucking all the fun out of the game. It turns exploration into grinding; there's no discovery because you already know what you're going to find.

LOL i actually like Ubisoft games but this is too damn good.

Thing i loved about Bloodborne is that there wasnt a map, it really made me work out where to go and as a result i actually remember all the paths and areas and how to get there which made the game much more memorable and special. Its been years since i have played a game where i have been able to do that and i realised its the over reliance on maps and waypoint markers.

With most other open world games i hardly ever remember exact locations or routes to get there because i just stick the waypoint on and away i go.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I honestly think the open world in FC4 is really awesome, it might be because the only Ubisoft games I play are the FC series tho.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I may be one of few sadly but while I do like open world games, I'd love to see more refined experiences. A game that I can complete within 10 hours and is not filled with useless shit. The RE games are the ones I probably put in the most game time and those are all short games, but they have replay ability.

Does anyone actually ever replay an Assassins Creed? I do enjoy those games but I'll never replay them.

Alo0oy

Banned
I didn't understand the Bloodborne quote. Someone please explain?

The waypoints, objectives, checkpoints...etc were photoshopped into the image to resemble generic open world games, the game itself has none of those (except the health bar), you have to figure everything out yourself.

hesido

The waypoints, objectives, checkpoints...etc were photoshopped into the image to resemble generic open world games, the game itself has none of those (except the health bar), you have to figure everything out yourself.

Lol, that's damn good. I should have known better.

Somehow related, the latest AssCreed reveal had a mission demo where the bad guy you were fist fighting was still glowing white around the edges because it was tagged a minute ago. It looks jarring and out of place for sure. The guy is already trying to kill you, and he is still glowing as if you'd leave him be if he wasn't highlighted or something.

kswiston

Those sorts of charts usually ignore digital copies, but I wonder if GTA V would make the list again this year if they pooled retail and digital. Steam version alone is already past 2 million full priced copies.

nib95

Banned
The first time I tried to explore in Destiny, I was given 4 seconds to turn around or die. I love the game, but "explore everywhere" does not belong in a description of it.

Fully open worlds can be great when done right.

I have over a hundred hours invested in the game, and a portion of that was doing random bounties, patrol missions etc, in whatever order and way I wanted. Most of the time I'd just arse about exploring areas and completing these missions whilst collecting loot, scavenging for materials and so on. What you're describing is no different to false barriers and no go areas popular in just about every open world games out there.

Top Bottom