• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 10 Supporting Roles That Stole The Show (CineFix)

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e03XFBpjSck

I thought the list was very interesting and could provide some good conversation for scene and hell film stealing. These supporting or even tiny roles can sometimes be the main talking point of a movie and that is awesome to me.
Christian Bale - Dicky Eklund in The Fighter (2010)
And it's not just the 63 pound weight gain and accent and biographical mimicry... Bale lights up the screen from the first frame with a performance that's both histrionic and believable.

Robert Shaw - Quint in Jaws (1975)
He anchored the whole film, bringing a mysterious, sea-dogged sense of dread to the plain new-englanders he was surrounded by, elevating the film to a timeless classic in the process.

Jack Black - Barry in High Fidelity (2000)
Stealing every scene from Cusack with his erratic shenanigans and wild pantomimes - it's not that John was bad, it's just that pretty much nothing can top Jack Black at his full level of hyperactivity.

Angelina Jolie - Lisa in Girl Interrupted (1999)
Before Girl Interrupted, Angelina Jolie was known for frequent tv work and the occasional film role, but by the time she finished her explosive turn as a committed sociopath, gleefully creating chaos wherever she turned with the kind of screen presence usually reserved for Godzilla, she'd won herself a golden globe, an oscar, a teen choice award, and the kind of heat that would push her into the A-list stratosphere by the very next year.

Mo’Nique - Mary in Precious (2009)
Her performance turned an abusive mother into an almost 4 dimensional character, just as cruel and terrifying as human and heartbreaking.

R. Lee Ermy - Gny. Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket (1987)
After a video-taped tirade he sent to Stanley, Kubrick cast him in the role, let him improv most of his own dialogue, and basically handed him the whole first half of the movie, where he spits, curses, abuses and humiliates his way into our hearts.

Alec Baldwin - Blake in Glengarry Glen Ross (1992)
Not only did Baldwin's character - or "fuck you" as he introduces himself - steal the show, so did the scene itself.

Orson Welles - Harry Lime in The Third Man (1949)
From the very first moment that Welles' smile hits the screen, there's no question that he's stolen - in this case quite literally - the spotlight.

Joe Pesci - Tommy Devito in Goodfellas (1990)
He’s a Jack Russell with the bite of a bulldog, commanding any room his character is in with a temper shorter than he is.

Anthony Hopkins - Hannibal Lecter in The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Hopkins scored a paltry 16 minutes of screen time, but made every 24th of a second count. He transfixes Clarice, the camera, and us for every moment he's on screen, delivering one of the most chilling examples of upstagemanship we can think of.

So what are your favourites?

NastyBook

Not only did Baldwin's character - or "fuck you" as he introduces himself - steal the show, so did the scene itself.
100% in agreement. Mitch & Murray sent a killer down from on high to body some bums. Coffe is for closers.

mclem

I was going to nominate this:

but the original article got there first.

alec baldwin was so good in glengarry glen ross (classic when he shits all over ed harris) but honestly jack lemmon was the highlight of the movie for me.

god damn that movie was stacked.

mclem

alec baldwin was so good in glengarry glen ross (classic when he shits all over ed harris) but honestly jack lemmon was the highlight of the movie for me.

god damn that movie was stacked.

It's the sort of film an actor wants to be in, I think; partly due to the credibility factor of being a stage play originally. Don't forget Kevin Spacey before he was anyone of significance!

liquidtmd

Banned
tumblr_ln6ffgOAbk1qjb2cw.jpg

Maybe not stole the show, but the more I think about how in any other movie this character by another actor with the same dialogue could have quite easily been forgotten by the credits rolling. He got introduced 30 minutes into the film and
died at the start of act 3
and yet...the character endures.

Game over man, game over.

Aliens and the interminable Bill Paxton

Alx

Wasn't Jack Sparrow supposed to be the comedy sidekick in the first "Pirates of the Caribbean" ?

Marion Cotillard in The Dark Knight Rises. Unforgettable.

Also, Glengarry Glen Ross has too many great moments. The Baldwin speech is just one of them. My personal favorite being the one where Pacino yells at Spacey. "You stupid f*cking c*nt."

Apt101

Everything from the past I can think of has been mentioned, so I'll go with Tom Holland in Captain America: Civil War.

Oh you know what, Val Kilmer in Tombstone.

Ripenen

Samuel L. Jackson completely stole the show in Pulp Fiction. He was nominated for a supporting actor oscar while Travolta was nominated for lead actor.

Edit: another Tarantino.. True Romance. Pretty much all the characters aside from the leads are amazing. The scene with Hopper and Walken is so amazing and could have easily been edited out without having much bearing on the plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom