• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 Best Selling Games In Europe In 2010 (Has Sales Numbers)

Belgorim

GTP_Daverytimes said:
And thats just 35 days in the market, in one region.

Edit: Prologue also made over 100 million, so kaz and co are sitting in a pile of money.
But it is revenue... not profit.

Alrus

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Holy Fuck, am i reading this correctly?

GT5: 164,153,186 USD

Goddamn, for a game that has supposedly flop by some users i don´t really see that in here.

When people said it underperformed it was more relative to previous entries.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
And thats just 35 days in the market, in one region.

Edit: Prologue also made over 100 million, so kaz and co are sitting in a pile of money.

Not when your game cost at LEAST 60 million =P

Insertia

GT5 did over 2 million in a month. If by flop you guys mean a smashing hit, I agree.

What other racer put up those sales in that time span?

Alrus

Insertia said:
GT5 did over 2 million in a month. If by flop you guys mean a smashing hit, I agree.

Pretty much all other Gran Turismo games(except they sold a lot more worldwide too)? And Mario Kart games.

Insertia said:

The game is not a flop by any means... it's just that for the time the game development spanned and the budget it was allocated, I think the empirical consensus is that the game didn't perform as well as everybody else but Sony expected.

G Rom

Koren said:
I'm sure they are, and I'd say PC games are, too* (and there's a lot of cheaper titles).

But the fact that France remains (with Sweden) one of the most expensive countries for VG. It's not surprising at all, and more and more people buy online in UK. That was my first thought when I saw the numbers.

And while I gladly pay a premium when I shop at my independant retailers, big companies (Micromania, Game, etc.) could really try more. It's always fun to see Micromania offer small % rebates when they sell games *above* normal prices.

(*) Edit : Maybe not? Strange, even with portable games, since most of them are sold above 37€...

Oh yeah, Micromania, GAME, etc... should be ashamed of how many people they scam with these fake rebates. I can't help but facepalm each time I see one of those ad from GAME. You know, the ones saying something like "sell us your soul two recent games, you'll get the latest game for the incredible price of 15€".
The last time I bought a game in a brick&mortar retailer in France was L.A Noire and it was at Auchan for 45€. Even though I could have saved maybe 1 or 2 euros by going online, I wanted to support this surprisingly low price.

Although, not even UK will beat the LEGO Batman+PURE bundle that I got for 0.01€ at Auchan last year !
lol.gif

Belgorim said:
But it is revenue... not profit.

I know it's revenue, but the cost of the game was covered extensively by Prologue (which sold 5 million copies{+} and grossed more than $100 {maybe 200?} million) so a good portion of the money they made with GT5 is profit. As of December 2010 the game would have grossed over $406,000,000, lets say 50 million went for everything that prologue didn't cover (which is unlikely) and they still have $356 million laying around.

Edit: They better put that money to good use lol.

Insertia

Sohter.Nura said:
The game is not a flop by any means... it's just that for the time the game development spanned and the budget it was allocated, I think the empirical consensus is that the game didn't perform as well as everybody else but Sony expected.

They built a next gen engine that's going to make them A LOT of money.

It's going to power all of their future projects. Nothing was lost.

Bigfoot

GTP_Daverytimes said:
I know it's revenue, but the cost of the game was covered extensively by Prologue (which sold 5 million copies{+} and grossed more than $100 {maybe 200?} million) so a good portion of the money they made with GT5 is profit. As of December 2010 the game would have grossed over $406,000,000, lets say 50 million went for everything that prologue didn't cover (which is unlikely) and they still have $356 million laying around.

Edit: They better put that money to good use lol.

You are ignoring the fact that a developer only gets about 25% of the revenue. This is a first party game so that number is probably higher since royalties aren't included, but they are still getting less than half of the revenue.

Yes, they made a profit, but it is not as much as you think.

BKK

Ordered by Physical Software Units:

United Kingdom: 63 million
Germany: 51 million
France: 37 million
Italy: 17 million
Spain: 17 million
Russia: 12 million
The Netherlands: 10 million
Belgium: 7 million
Poland: 7 million
Austria: 5 million
Sweden: 5 million
Denmark: 2 million
Hungary: 2 million
Ireland: 2 million
Portugal: 2 million
Czech Republic: <2 million
Slovakia: <2 million

These have a margin of error of over a million, dividing country revenue by average game price gives more accurate figures. Also, whilst Finland, Norway, and Switzerland aren't included in this European report the figures are available from other GfK reports;

United Kingdom: 62,940,000
Germany: 50,270,000
France: 37,150,000
Spain: 17,880,000
Italy: 16,740,000
Russia: 13,190,000
Netherlands: 9,240,000
Belgium: 6,700,000
Poland: 6,120,000
Austria: 5,780,000
Sweden: 5,320,000
Switzerland: 3,660,000