• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 20 games purchased on Wii U eShop

Wish we knew the units.

Has to be extremely minuscule.

No way I could trust digital purchases on a home Nintendo console.

People keep saying this, but it makes no sense. If your console breaks, Nintendo can recover all of your shit. Contrary to what Anti-Nintendo GAF says, Nintendo does tie all of your purchases to your account.

Sanctuary

I didn't even know that Trine 2 was there. I've honestly not played it yet, but I wonder if I should bother with getting it on the Wii U or simply grab the PC version. My PC isn't situated in a way that would allow me to hook it up to my plasma though, and I prefer playing console games on that where applicable.

People keep saying this, but it makes no sense. If your console breaks, Nintendo can recover all of your shit. Contrary to what Anti-Nintendo GAF says, Nintendo does tie all of your purchases to your account.

Yes, folks, if you think Nintendo's idiotic account mechanism is bad, it's not because it's bad, it's because you're anti-Nintendo. So if I sell off my launch Wii U at some point and buy a new one down the road, I don't just get to log into it and re-download all my stuff. I get to call customer support and hope and pray that they let me download all my stuff again. Such a great account system.

I just said it's not Steam-like. You can read, right?

Yeah, I was talking about XBL. Then you walked by and said, "Durrr its not like Steam!". Beautiful.

Yes, folks, if you think Nintendo's idiotic account mechanism is bad, it's not because it's bad, it's because you're anti-Nintendo. So if I sell off my launch Wii U at some point and buy a new one down the road, I don't just get to log into it and re-download all my stuff. I get to call customer support and hope and pray that they let me download all my stuff again. Such a great account system.

Is this all you do on GAF now?

iammeiam

I picked up and enjoyed Little Inferno, but haven't purchased more since I'm irritated by the account situation. If my console breaks out of warranty, I don't want to have to pay Nintendo to fix it in order to be able to access my games.

It's really holdin me back from impulse buying some launch titles DD, so I guess Nintendo is kind of doing me a favor.

Is this all you do on GAF now?

As opposed to what? You who runs around claiming that anyone with Wii U issues is anti-Nintendo. Tell me more about my "vendetta against Nintendo". Some of us hold Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft to the same standard. I hope you're here when the 360 launches to claim I have a vendetta against them when if I complain.

And your statement is all the more infantile, when you factor in what you just did in another thread I hadn't posted in:

But according to Baconsammy, it takes 4 hours to download 1.8 GB.

So is blindly attacking people that you feel have wronged Nintendo the only thing you do now?

Anti-Nintendo GAF? More like anti-moronic account systems GAF. The user should be able to recover this stuff themselves instead of asking Nintendo pretty please. If they tie stuff to an account, I guess I can go on to another Wii U, sign in and redownload my game...oh wait, you cant.

pestul

Yeah, I was talking about XBL. Then you walked by and said, "Durrr its not like Steam!". Beautiful.

Honestly, I might sound like a prick.. but I believe if you sell off your system and later change your mind and re-purchase later, you still deserve to lose your eShop purchases.

Also, do you ever make a positive post? 1 out of every 20?

As opposed to what? You who runs around claiming that anyone with Wii U issues is anti-Nintendo. Tell me more about my "vendetta against Nintendo". Some of us hold Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft to the same standard. I hope you're here when the 360 launches to claim I have a vendetta against them when if I complain.

There's a difference between complaining and making up bullshit just because you do not like Nintendo.

Honestly, I might sound like a prick.. but I believe if you sell off your system and later change your mind and re-purchase later, you still deserve to lose your eShop purchases.

Also, do you ever make a positive post? 1 out of every 20?

You deserve to lose your digital purchases if you sell your hardware? Wow.

There's a difference between complaining and making up bullshit just because you do not like Nintendo.

What gave away my hatred for Nintendo? My 3DS, 3DSXL, and Wii U purchases this year?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

I'll give you the benefit and assume this was a joke post.

I think you'd have to love Nintendo if you bought Crosswords Plus on the eShop for $29.99. Even my fandom won't go that far, but then I do have standards. :3

Meelow

Banned
You deserve to lose your digital purchases if you sell your hardware? Wow.

What gave away my hatred for Nintendo? My 3DS, 3DSXL, and Wii U purchases this year?

That's not what he's saying, he's saying that you are always being hard on Nintendo and it doesn't seem like you can just say "good job Nintendo" and mean it.

I got Trine 2 free on PS+, but it just seems like it would work much better on the gamepad. I can't justify paying $20 for something I already have although I am tempted, very tempted.

That's not what he's saying, he's saying that you are always being hard on Nintendo and it doesn't seem like you can just say "good job Nintendo" and mean it.

We're talking about the account system. For me to say "good job, Nintendo" about that would be either sarcastic or disingenuous.

Meelow

Banned
We're talking about the account system. For me to say "good job, Nintendo" about that would be either sarcastic or disingenuous.

It doesn't mean though that the away the account system is run will be like this forever, Nintendo can change it later.

Mrbob

I got Trine 2 free on PS+, but it just seems like it would work much better on the gamepad. I can't justify paying $20 for something I already have although I am tempted, very tempted.

You get some extra content with the Wii U edition. It includes the expansion pack and an exclusive level on Wii U.

I haven't purchased it yet (Own the main game and expansion on Steam), but for new buyers its a good deal.

pestul

I'll give you the benefit and assume this was a joke post.
Yeah, I meant what I said. Sorry to derail the thread, I've just never desired or needed to sell any console I've ever purchased. Even as a poor student, it seemed rather foolish for only a hundred bucks or so. Yes, Nintendo should be using account-tied games for a variety of reasons, but I have little sympathy for people who sell systems with the intention to re-purchase later (or maybe re-purchase).

Anyway, back on topic.. its good to see eshop titles performing so well, but I think they'd do even better if we had some actual demos up for everything.

It doesn't mean though that the away the account system is run will be like this forever, Nintendo can change it later.

Just like they'll add an account system for 3DS after the WiiU launch is dealt with?
Nintendo COULD create accounts, they have the infrastructure to do this now.

Now. Are they planning to? I don't know either way.
What I do know is that they haven't fucking told me they are; ever.

Its a perfectly fine complaint. The big big major complaint about Nintendo Online.
Everything else is actually above PSN and I'd say mixed on par with Live but rather messy in its implementation.

Nintendo needs to use its accounts better.
I should be able to transfer my purchases through my harddrive or something.
Tie purchases to that and the harddrive.

If the harddrive breaks:
- I can back up a new harddrive from my WiiU by accessing online.
If the Wii U breaks:
- I can back up a new WiiU from my harddrive by accessing online.
If both are broken/lost:
- I can contact Nintendo and have them shift my account information to an all new system.

The magic about this is that my Network ID is needed to set this up. I have to go online, just a quick log in and transfer, but I have to go online.

This will stop repeated copies. And it will let me keep my purchases.
If theres a big problem - I can work with Nintendo's customer services.

It's just not re-assuring based upon the way Nintendo handles digital downloads.

It's so contradictory to Apple, Sony, MS, Steam, basically anybody.....

Each generation I find myself upgrading or buying new consoles at least 2 times on average. It's never planned, but it always turns out that way. I might be the exception to the rule here in that regard, but that's not the only situation in which tying to an account is useful.

There's just so many disadvantages right now I can't imagine people buying many copies...

Wii. DSi. 3DS. Now Wii U. You really expect they'll change their ways after four times in a row of locking down content like this?

Why? What rationale justifies that?

zroid

Banned
I am desperately fighting the temptation to buy Trine 2 and Nano Assault Neo right now.

Must... not... buy.... more.... games

JoeFu

Banned
I kinda want Nano Assault, but I have the 3DS one and barely played it.

I also got Trine 2 for like 5 bucks on Steam and have yet to play it... I sure hope the eShop doesn't have steamlike sales or else I will never play anything.

pestul

Please tell me you're joking because that's just fucking retarded.
lol, 'deserve' was probably a harsh way of putting it and I see that now. I'm not backpedaling from my comment, I guess it comes from a very personal perspective not shared on GAF, that selling consoles after digital purchases is something I would never do. We might want to calm down a little bit about this too, due to the two casualties from this and the other thread already.

I'd like to see a comparison between the size of eshop games and the top 20.

Yes, which is why I can't get access to the Wii VC titles I purchased (hundreds of dollars worth) because my Wii was stolen. I can, however, buy a brand new 360 if I want, log in with my user name, and have access to the games I purchased without going through some lengthy full system transfer process.

With that said, hopefully Nintendo is getting with the times with the Wii U.

Edit: I still love my Wii U, by the way. I just hate the idea of losing all of that money because Nintendo chose not to go with a consistent account like other console manufacturers. It makes me as a consumer more hesitant to download titles instead of purchasing physical copies.

Yeah, I meant what I said. Sorry to derail the thread, I've just never desired or needed to sell any console I've ever purchased. Even as a poor student, it seemed rather foolish for only a hundred bucks or so. Yes, Nintendo should be using account-tied games for a variety of reasons, but I have little sympathy for people who sell systems with the intention to re-purchase later (or maybe re-purchase).

Sold my white Wii and got the black one.
Fat PS2 to Slim Ps2.
Fat DS launch unit to DS Lite.
White Dreamcast to Black Sports Edition Dreamcast.
Original PS1 to Mini Ps1
GBA to GBA-SP
Black N64 to Clear Orange N64
Black xbox to Green Halo Edition Xbox

I've sold and re-bought pretty much every console i've ever owned because of revisions.
Only modern console i can remember keeping for the entire lifespan was my black gamecube and i sold that once i got the launch Wii.

Sold my white Wii and got the black one.
Fat PS2 to Slim Ps2.
Fat DS launch unit to DS Lite.
White Dreamcast to Black Sports Edition Dreamcast.
Original PS1 to Mini Ps1
GBA to GBA-SP
Black N64 to Clear Orange N64
Black xbox to Green Halo Edition Xbox

I've sold and re-bought pretty much every console i've ever owned because of revisions.
Only modern console i can remember keeping for the entire lifespan was my black gamecube and i sold that once i got the launch Wii.

Another good point. This person sold their systems, but only to invest in the company by purchasing a revised or improved system in good faith. To not allow somebody to transfer digital purchases when they do that would be/is dirty ball. I purchased a Wii which was stolen, and when I finally purchased another Wii, I had to pay for and download all of my VC content a second time because Nintendo wouldn't replace it. So why should I trust them to do right by me if something similar happens again?

I've purchased every single Nintendo system since the NES, (except for the Virtual Boy), and I will continue to do so, because I like their software, but they show very little concern for their customers are paying consumers, or at least have in the past.

Seik

Banned
Okay, its official, buying Nano Assault in 2 hours when I'll be back.

Hell, I've been saying this since launch, but this time is for real. It'll be my main friday night attraction.

About the whole account console switching issue: I'm sure Nintendo will do something, at least, from what I heard so far, they can via customer service. Maybe they were thinking a certain way with the VC on Wii because they didn't have any account system of any sort, but now people are buying games at full retail price ($59,99). Imo they can't drop the ball with such an issue or else many people will be pissed.

EDIT: Oh shit @ Baconsammy and TML, I guess it went too far this time.

Yes, which is why I can't get access to the Wii VC titles I purchased (hundreds of dollars worth) because my Wii was stolen. I can, however, buy a brand new 360 if I want, log in with my user name, and have access to the games I purchased without going through some lengthy full system transfer process.

With that said, hopefully Nintendo is getting with the times with the Wii U.

Edit: I still love my Wii U, by the way. I just hate the idea of losing all of that money because Nintendo chose not to go with a consistent account like other console manufacturers. It makes me as a consumer more hesitant to download titles instead of purchasing physical copies.
All you'd need to recover your VC games is a police report and your Wii serial number. If you registered it to Club Nintendo, you don't even need the latter. Might be wirth looking into with "hundreds of dollars" on the line.

Meesh

I bought Ninja Gaiden, Dark Siders, and Trine all on the Eshop and for the most part was pretty happy with a dl times...except Dark Siders... I'm not kidding it took over 4 hours. I don't know what the explanation would be for that, but it's true.

Fox Mulder

I shouldn't have to call and beg nintendo to manage my purchases. Google, Apple, Sony, MS don't do it this way. I want to buy digital games for this console because of the gamepad, but Nintendo wants to have an insane DRM stance that turns me off.

Schnei871

Got NSMBU, ZU, Nano assault and chasing aurora. Chasing aurora is actually a really great party game that compliments Nintendo Land really well. So anyone looking for that I recommend they pick it up

In this Top 20 list in the Wii U eShop, I noticed that you can sort by different criteria (None, Rating, Popular, etc). This list is, by default, sorted by None. When sorting by 'Popular' it shows the top 3 games are Trine 2, Nano Assault, and Mighty Switch Force.

Is the Sort By 'None' list as the most sold, or just an unsorted list? Curious if 'Popular' is actually most-sold.

Top Bottom