• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 3 fastest selling exclusive games in this generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bodomism

Banned
Well as others have Said, there is not much Else to play besides exclusives on the Switch. People buy Playstation/Xbox to play Destiny,Cod,Battlefield,AC,GTA,RDR, Fifa etc.
These are partly the biggest games this generation where not even Nintendo Games can come close.

I love my Switch, but besides the few Nintendo Exclusives there is not much choice. Granted it's enough, but that also explains why they Sell.
Mario Kart 8 soldi 8,5 Million copies on the WII U
Did you seriously believe majority of switch owners only having Nintendo Switch as the gaming platform?

Put 3D Mario, 3D Zelda , Pokemon, Smash, and Mario Kart on PS4 and XB1, those games will perform similar to GTA, COD, and FIFA level.

DeaDPo0L84

I own a switch as well as my wife. We both played the hell out of AC, BotW, and Mario odyssey. They were fun experiences but after a few weeks or so I found myself not giving a shit anymore and going back to my PC to play games.

Guess it's a good thing sales don't make a game more enjoyable cause some of my favorite games weren't exactly a sales juggernaut. Nor have I ever while playing a game thought to myself "oh fuck, this game sold a shit ton of copies, I knew I liked this game for some reason"

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Nintendo has a better lineup as the games are very diverse and selling splendidly.

Switch 10M seller and above
MK8D - Arcade Racing
Smash Ultimate - Brawl fighting
BOTW - Open World adventure
SMO - 3D Platformer
Pokemon SnS - JRPG
Pokemon Let's GO - JRPG
AC new horizons - Life sims
Splatoon 2 - TPS
SMP - Party game

Then Nintendo also has 3ds and WiiU catalog of exclusives.
PS4 has variety too and the better lineup
TLOU Part II
Astrobot
Bloodborne
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Death Stranding
Shadow of the Colossus
Little Big Planet 3
Gravity Rush 2
God of War
Persona 5R

Nintendo is still awesome

Last edited:
I got smash, Zelda, Mario, and rabbits. I havent finished any of them. I think I just got the wrong pokemon and mario. Paper mario looks way better. As does sword compared to go. I wonder what are the sales of 3rd party games are on switch. Everyone I know has Smash and Kart. Then a mix of random 1st party games. But nobody has any 3rd third party games.

I wonder why Sony doesnt have more AAA kid games. Like a Power Stone/Smash game with Disney characters? A kart game? I guess Crash takes care of that one. Like Knack is seriously the best they can offer?

PS4 has variety too and the better lineup
TLOU Part II
Astrobot
Bloodborne
Spider-man
Ratchet and Clank
Death Stranding
Shadow of the Colossus
Little Big Planet 3
Gravity Rush 2
God of War
Persona 5R

Nintendo is still awesome

There should be a study on why people like one list of exclusives over another.

Sony exclusives and Nintendo exclusives are vastly different experiences. The themes and worlds are very different in mood and color, as well as feeling and maturity.
I think the thing that turns me off about what Playstation offers is they get too damn serious, it is closer to my stress filled life and I play games to get away from that. I don't really watch TV Drama series for the same reason and more interested in SciFi.
When I look at Mario I don't see my life.

To be honest I find this stuff weird, it is amazing how brand loyalty colors your preferences though, it could be the case I grew up with those games and mentally never transitioned over. I think anyone should be called a fanboy for not being into any of the games on that list although I've played and own a few of them on PS4. And honestly can say I do enjoy Nintendo's list much more, and feel like I wasted money when I pay for those on my PS4.

I've played many hours on GTAV and GTAV Online, but that is because I made a hard effort to get into more mature games with Vice City and kept playing GTA titles and did not take them as seriously so never felt stressed playing them. But for some reason I feel stressed playing some Sony exclusive titles.

I think I'm still a Nintendo fanboy or I don't enjoy stressful games as much as I do Nintendo games. I think Breath of the Wild is a stressful game but I can't even see myself playing Bloodborne or God of War. When I say stress. Maybe games Nintendo offers is a bit more casual and fun, while Sony is more deep and darker in tone. That is why fans love to posts such lists and say the exact same lines as 'WE THE BEST'

In the end I don't think there is a BEST there is only different taste and desires. When we post our lists of what we love to play we carry a built in bias. I don't think we can honestly tell which list is better.

We do need a Study done on why fans of platforms sometimes can't love both even when they own other platforms or try to play those titles.

I'm guessing Xbox vs Sony is not really as vast a gap as Sony vs Nintendo

Last edited:
I got smash, Zelda, Mario, and rabbits. I havent finished any of them. I think I just got the wrong pokemon and mario. Paper mario looks way better. As does sword compared to go. I wonder what are the sales of 3rd party games are on switch. Everyone I know has Smash and Kart. Then a mix of random 1st party games. But nobody has any 3rd third party games.

I wonder why Sony doesnt have more AAA kid games. Like a Power Stone/Smash game with Disney characters? A kart game? I guess Crash takes care of that one. Like Knack is seriously the best they can offer?

I think the problem is when they try with things like Ratchet and Clank, Little Big Planet, they still don't feel like kid games, mind you they are all kid games but if you are comparing them to Nintendo games that spirit just does not come across the same.

I think the meme of Nintendo making kid games that a played mostly by Adults, and other platforms making Adult games that are played mostly by kids holds some truth.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
There should be a study on why people like one list of exclusives over another.

Sony exclusives and Nintendo exclusives are vastly different experiences. The themes and worlds are very different in mood and color, as well as feeling and maturity.
I think the thing that turns me of about what Playstation offers is they get too damn serious, it is closer to my stress filled life and I play games to get away from that. I don't really watch TV Drama series for the same reason and more interested in SciFi.
When I look at Mario I don't see my life.

To be honest I find this stuff weird, it is amazing how brand loyalty colors your preferences though, it could be the case I grew up with those games and mentally never transitioned over. I think anyone should be called a fanboy for not being into any of the games on that list although I've played and own a few of them on PS4. And honestly can say I do enjoy Nintendo's list much more, and feel like I wasted money when I pay for those on my PS4.

I've played many hours on GTAV and GTAV Online, but that is because I made a hard effort to get into more mature games with Vice City and kept playing GTA titles and did not take them as seriously so never felt stressed playing them. But for some reason I feel stressed playing some Sony exclusive titles.

I think I'm still a Nintendo fanboy or I don't enjoy stressful games as much as I do Nintendo games. I think Breath of the Wild is a stressful game but I can't even see myself playing Bloodborne or God of War. When I say stress. Maybe games Nintendo offers is a bit more casual and fun, while Sony is more deep and darker in tone. That is why fans love to posts such lists and say the exact same lines as 'WE THE BEST'

In the end I don't think there is a BEST there is only different taste and desires. When we post our lists of what we love to play we carry a built in bias. I don't think we can honestly tell which list is better.

We do need a Study done on why fans of platforms sometimes can't love both even when they own other platforms or try to play those titles.

I'm guessing Xbox vs Sony is not really as vast a gap as Sony vs Nintendo
I agree they're totally different with what each aims for. Nintendo games don't appeal to me that often but I do like the look of some of their platformers

source.gif

Awesome thread OP! We've had way too many shill threads lately and not enough of them about based Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I easily prefer Sony's and Microsoft's exclusives much more than I do Nintendo's but make no mistake, out of the three hardware manufacturers, Nintendo is literally the ONLY one who not only can survive without third party support but have done so three times. If Sony/Microsoft were to lose third party support, neither would survive.

Eanox

Since OP likes fun fact. Switch is not on the same generation with PS4.
8th generation Consoles are PS4, Xbox one and WiiU
So yes currently Switch holds the title since PS5 has yet to be release.

and the proper comparison is PS4 vs Wiiu.
PS4 - 5 games with 10M titles.
Wii u= None

ShinNL

Did you seriously believe majority of switch owners only having Nintendo Switch as the gaming platform?
Well I do.

The world outside isn't really like the world on GAF. Owning multiple gaming consoles is not really what most households do. Considering the safety of children in households, Nintendo's kid friendly image helps with getting a gaming console for the household.

I let my friends borrow some of my Switch games and I realized that even though they themselves enjoy all kinds of games, they pretty much only played the kid friendly games due to the presence of kids.

There's a reason that top 3 are all rated E for Everyone. The kids can play it, but it's also important that it's kid friendly enough so adults can play it without guilt or being a sneaky isolated parent.

leo-j

I have a switch.
I have Zelda
mario odyssey
Mario kart 8
New super Mario bros

I’m not a fan of the others. Not to say they aren’t good games. But I’m a fan of the N64/GAMECUBE era Nintendo w Pokémon XD/STADIUM/MARIO 64 etc

I also have a ps4. The thing w ps4 is I have 3rd party games like Fallen Order, Fallout 4, GTA, 2k, bioshock, etc

nintendo sells first party, but they don’t sell 3rd party. The fact crash bandicoot 4 is not coming to switch is telling.

Eanox

Let's use something more concrete than just a user opinion.

There are 3 games in this generation with 97 metascores and two of those are from Nintendo.
PS4 is not on the same generation with Switch. 😅
But if you want a comparison.
PS4 have 9 titles with 90+ ratings
Switch have 5.

Ps4 have 25 titles with 80+ plus ratings
Switch have 12.

Nintendo has a better lineup as the games are very diverse and selling splendidly.

Switch 10M seller and above
MK8D - Arcade Racing
Smash Ultimate - Brawl fighting
BOTW - Open World adventure
SMO - 3D Platformer
Pokemon SnS - JRPG
Pokemon Let's GO - JRPG
AC new horizons - Life sims
Splatoon 2 - TPS
SMP - Party game

Then Nintendo also has 3ds and WiiU catalog of exclusives.
Funny thing about that list is 4 of those titles includes Mario in it.
4 of those are 20-30 years old Ip.

Sony only got serious in creating 1st party games in the PS3 era.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
1. Animal Crossing New Horizons - 11.77M in 11 days
XmYU1C6KD9q1m9qY1hnedMhwYbwdWf3J2F-BcDpiav0.png

2. Pokemon Sword and Shield - 6M in 2 days
pokemon_sword_and_shield_cover_rendition_by_rjamez_the_v_dd8ols1-fullview.jpg

3. Smash Bros Ultimate - 5M in 3 days
super-smash-bros-ultimate-cover.cover_large.jpg

There isn't a whole big selection of games to play on nintendo platforms. Normally 2 or 3 big releases per year if we are lucky. Nintendo exclusive fans do not have as many 3rd party choices. It has gotten getter since the n64 days but still an issue. Of course games are going to sell at crazy rates because fans are starved?

Last edited:

sol_bad

Nintendo could release a game called Mario Stares at Walls and it would sell 10 million copies. Nintendo fans go crazy for Nintendo games. But you can bet that Mario Stares at Walls would have great or interesting game play.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
It is true Nintendo could shit in a box and put mario on it and the crazy Big N fans will buy it. That being said, Nintendo is a very talented developer. Most of the games they make these days do not appeal to me but can't deny their talent. Hell I could always go for a round of Mario Kart or some classic Super Mario Bros. I just wish they would get off the sequel stuff and start making more original content. After all these years, Mario and Zelda has gotten stale for me.

n0razi

I am always surprised when I see that playstation has sold 110 million but the best selling exclusive is uncharted 4 at 16 million!

What games are the other 94 million players playing?

I understand some have 2 consoles like I gave a ps4 and a ps4pro but the difference is huge.

I dont even buy games for my PS4 because of PS+ sending me free games every month to my backlog

Aion002

I am always surprised when I see that playstation has sold 110 million but the best selling exclusive is uncharted 4 at 16 million!

What games are the other 94 million players playing?

I understand some have 2 consoles like I gave a ps4 and a ps4pro but the difference is huge.

Many buy Playstations to mainly play Fortnite, GTA and Sports games. Then they end up buying one or maybe a couple of PS exclusives, like Bloodborne, MLB, Gran Turismo or Uncharted.

I know people that since the PS1 buys at most four games per year.... Most Playstation consumers are casuals.... I have a friend that has the PS4 since the launch and he only has Fifa games (which he spends a shit ton on microtransactions) and Destiny 1 and 2.....

Last edited:
There isn't a whole big selection of games to play on nintendo platforms. Normally 2 or 3 big releases per year if we are lucky. Nintendo exclusive fans do not have as many 3rd party choices. It has gotten getter since the n64 days but still an issue. Of course games are going to sell at crazy rates because fans are starved?

Switch has a lot of jrpgs and 3rd party Japanese games. There is a wealth of games really.

I think the problem is when they try with things like Ratchet and Clank, Little Big Planet, they still don't feel like kid games, mind you they are all kid games but if you are comparing them to Nintendo games that spirit just does not come across the same.

I think the meme of Nintendo making kid games that a played mostly by Adults, and other platforms making Adult games that are played mostly by kids holds some truth.
Littlebigplanet was ambitious, but complicated. Then again, kids pick things up quick. Rachet and Clank.. I'm not sure thats for kids. The last one definitely was. Either way Im talking about AAA games with kids graphics. Knack should have been God of War mechanically but with kid graphics with a really hard difficulty available.

Even though Sony did get some shit for some cartoony games on their presentation. I think they are every important. Even a title like Bugsnacks. Like seriously not one AAA major educational game?

Silvawuff

I feel like the Animal Crossing numbers are lightning in a bottle -- it released fresh on the heels of a global quarantine. If it were any other time I don't think that number would have sailed that high.

anthraticus

Banned
What's with ppls obsession over sales ?

I could understand if you're an investor or something, otherwise...

...who gives a faaaaak :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Especially when it comes to these big/AAA companies.

hunthunt

Banned
Understable.

Why in the world someone would buy a Switch to play the shitty versions of Fifa, Doom or The Witcher? Nintendo users play Nintendo games.

aerts1js

Playstation and Xbox have an extremely large variety of games whereas the switch essentially ONLY has nintendo games. It's not rocket science why their first parties do so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom