• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top 5 albums of 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

fart

Savant
since we're getting into december and there's really nothing left this year.
no reissues, no EPs

spl_newcov.jpg

joanna newsom - the milk-eyed mender

inventive and novel. majestic but delicate.

goodnight_sm.jpg

julie doiron - goodnight nobody

julie doiron can break you apart and put you back together again in 3 minutes.

cmon-miracle.gif

mirah - cmon miracle

mirah's voice is the best medicine on earth.

picture.jpg

the arcade fire - funeral

oh come on, you knew it was coming.

vetiver.gif

vetiver - s/t

calm, clean and absofuckinglutely beautiful from beginning to end.

Jak140

In no particuar order:

Scissor Sisters - s/t
Les Savy Fav - Inches
Franz Ferdinand - s/t
Modest Mouse - GNFPWLBN
Interpol - Antics

Also:
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Brian Wilson - Smile

Yeah, I know this skews toward the mainstream, whatever.

Ill Saint

And since I buy mainly vinyl, a couple of EPs here.

154 - Strike (Delsin)
Shed - Soloaction EP (Delsin)
Der Zyklus - Biometry (Clone/DUB)
James Cotton - The Dancing Box (Ghostly International)
Ultradyne - The Privilege of Sacrifice EP (Pi Gao Movement)

g30242fsif2.jpg

Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands

Key Tracks: "Insect Eyes," "Autumn's Child," "Will Is My Friend," "A Sight to Behold"

g22557icfkw.jpg

Xiu Xiu - Fabulous Muscles

Key Tracks: "I Luv the Valley OH!," "Clowne Towne," "Bunny Gamer," "Crank Heart"

g48079ms7q9.jpg

Interpol - Antics

Key Tracks: "Take You on a Cruise," "Not Even Jail," "Narc," "Evil"

g34685xinzr.jpg

Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

Key Tracks: "Pattern Recognition," "Stones," "Unmade Bed," "Peace Attack"

g45456p4mxj.jpg

Björk - Medulla

Key Tracks: "Ancestors," "Where Is The Line," "Triumph of a Heart," "Submarine," "Mouth's Cradle," "Pleasure is All Mine"... fuck... the whole thing!

teepo

dj signify - sleep no more
kayne west - the college dropout
bjork - medulla
madvillain - madvillinary
the streets - a grand don;t come for free

i honestly don't know. this year hasn;t been the best for music.

White Man

Can I could the new Bright Eyes albums? :D

Let's see:

Xiu Xiu - Fab.Musc
The Arcade Fire - Funeral
Devendra Banhart - Nino Rojo
Wolf Eyes - Burned Mind
and, uh, SY I guess.

This is a pretty half assed list. I really need some wine.

OH FUCK. That new Iron & Wine record is really hot, too.

Jason

Agreed on Mirah and Arcade Fire. Never get tired of those.

100007934.jpg

(i'm guessing they changed the cover so they don't get sued by explosions in the sky)

c03052.jpg

logo4.gif

I don't like the Arcade Fire album nearly as much as I did when I first got it. It's a bit boring. "Laika," "In the Backseat," "Tunnels," and "Powerout" are amazing, though. That climax in Backseat = eargasmic.

fart

Savant
i want to add honorable mentions TJO - you sound, reflect; that pidgeon record and HOW THE FUCK COULD I FORGET THE ELECTED????

SKluck

Banned
B00062ZE44.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0002XDODU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B0001DMVMG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B000294TVK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

B00061H2JU.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Seriously, Within Temptation's new album is insanely good. If you've never heard of them, very similar to nightwish. But slightly more nordic.

Missy Higgins- Sound of White
A Perfect Circle- eMOTIVe
Eskimo Joe- A song is a city
Dessociatives
dunno bout the order, proboly eskimo joe # 1, but i doubt many here know them.

Dead

well not really...yet
Oceansize came out in 2003. Was my number two as well heh.

Edit: Nevermind, it came out in America this year

Dilbert

As of this second, here is my top 5, specifically excluding DJ mixes:

#1: The Go! Team, Thunder, Lightning, Strike
200x200.jpg

In general, Pitchfork pisses me off. However, when they favorably reviewed this album -- after URB had just listed it in the "being played around the office" hot list the month before -- it was enough for me to give it a shot. It ends up being the most fun album I've bought this year.

#2: Ulrich Schnauss, A Strangely Isolated Place
B0002CHK18.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Absolutely gorgeously layered atmospheric music...the soft fuzzy cloud on the flipside of M83's beautiful noise. It's my favorite "airplane" album for zoning out and getting work done, and also my favorite music to play while writing.

#3: Jay-Z + DJ Danger Mouse, The Grey Album
893e80cv.jpg

The fact that NO ONE has listed this yet makes me think that people have forgotten that it came out this year. I normally HATE Jay-Z, but this reconstruction of The Black Album using nothing but Beatles samples is frickin' BRILLIANT. I've played it a lot, and STILL not gotten sick of it.

#4: Morrissey, You Are The Quarry
B0001WAO5S.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

What can you say? It's one of his best solo albums ever, and it's SO welcome to have his literary, wry style on the musical landscape as a counterpoint to all the angry guitar crap flying around these days.

#5: Bent, Ariels
B0002PD3IY.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Everlasting Blink was one of my favorite eclectic (mostly) downtempo albums of 2003, and the follow-up album is even stronger. This is import-only in the US at the moment, but it was worth every penny I payed for it.

Honorable mention:

Sasha, Involver -- Sasha reconstructed all of the included tracks...kind of a hybrid between an artist album and a mix. It would be one of my favorite mixes ever, but the last couple of songs are a real disappointment after the first eight brilliant tracks.

Air, Talkie Walkie -- outstanding record, and a huge rebound from the confusing and ice-cold 10,000 Hz Legend.

Franz Ferdinand, Franz Ferdinand -- a ton of fun, and a strong debut...but for some reason, I stopped playing it towards the end of the year.

Rjd2, Since We Last Spoke -- slept-on album that pushed the boundaries of expectations, still solid...except for the embarrassing track that Rjd2 sings on. Yikes.

Phoenix, Alphabetical -- charming, timeless rock.

Way Out West, Don't Look Now -- moodier, less explosive than the outstanding Intensify, but still compelling.

Aya, Strange Flower -- Naked Music fans take note...the beats on this record were produced by Jay Denis (aka Blue Six)!

Best mix CDs of the year:

Ben Watt, Buzzin' Fly Volume 1 -- outstanding deep house debut mix from the ex-Lazy Dog proprietor on his new label...and the centerpiece is an outstanding new track from Watt himself!

The Thievery Corporation, The Outernational Sound -- finally a worthy, world-hopping follow-up to Jet Sounds. I've played this one a TON since buying it.

Ovum: The Fall Collection -- the first Ovum mix in years done by Josh Wink himself...'nuff said!

DJ Nu-Mark, Hands On -- eclectic and funky mix by Jurassic 5's DJ, backyard BBQ not included.

The Avalanches, When I Met You -- import-only and probably illegal, this mix is completely nuts, mixing Daft Punk into Hall & Oates into Fatboy Slim into The Beatles into Jurassic 5 at one point. Mash-up heaven!

Erland Øye, DJ Kicks -- interesting concept where Øye sings original or cover lyrics over the top of some choice cuts...fails in some places, but where it works, it SHINES.

nitewulf

moi?

The Organ are an all female indie pop band from Canada. Their sound is very similar to 80's brit pop bands like The Smiths, The Cure etc.
Recommended tracks: Steven Smith, Basement band song, Brother, Love love love, Sinking hearts, hell I'd recommend the whole album if you're into catchy, melacncholy, melodious guitar pop.

Oceansize is post-rock...so it's a good idea to listen to the whole album, but the first track "I am the morning" should give you a good idea as to their sound.

Cake is indie rock I guess, recommended tracks: No phone, Wheels, Take it all away, The guitar man. It's just a very fun catchy album IMO.

Kings of Convenience is just laid-back guitar pop. Their track styles range from bossa-nova to folk I'd say. Hell "I'd rather dance with you" is very reminiscent of America, and "Cayman islands" is very reminiscnet of James Taylor stuff with a touch of Simon and Garfunkel vocal harmonics.
Just very laid back, by the fireplace with a glass of wine while looking at your SO stuff.
Recommended tracks: aforementioned two, and Homesick, Love is no big truth.

Miles_Gurtu is a fusion album. Trilok Gurtu is a well renowned jazz percussionist, and Robet Miles is of course a well known DJ. This album is very different from the usual trance stuff that Miles does, its ambient, acid, world beat, jazz...sorta mixed. You have to sorta listen to the whole thing to get the feel of it, AND you must give it time to sink in.
Hard to recommend tracks here, but I'll try: Tragedy-comedy, Golden rust, Languages of conscious thought, Soul driven.

tt_deeb

Not sure about ranking yet but these have definately been stand out albums:

Morrissey- You Are The Quarry
Bjork- Medulla
Fantomas- Delirium Cordia
The Streets- A Grand Don't Come For Free
Franz Ferdinand- Franz Ferdinand
Modest Mouse- Good News For People Who Like Bad News

Dead

well not really...yet
Rofl, as if GAF was the bastion of Independant and unmainstream music. Man you people are unbelievable.

MY MUSICAL CULTURE IS SHIT SO LET ME BE SURE TO POINT OUT HOW IVE NEVER HEARD OF ANY OF THESE BANDS, THUS THEY ARE SHIT

::HEADBANGS::

I'll nominate:
The Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Interpol - Antics
Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
Wilco - A Ghost is Born
Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

Man, those are great albums and all, but jeez...I'd kinda expect a little more? Seems weak to me. Maybe I'm completely forgetting something.

And nobody is even really naming any 'obscure' albums. Everyone [should] know who Björk and Sonic Youth are... Beach Boys, Hives, Wilco, Green Day, Morrissey, Interpol, PJ Harvey, Chevelle, etc. are all pretty well known..

This year has been horrible. My top 5 this year would occupy the 15-20 spots in a decent year.

#1 - Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days (Thanks for the assist GG-Duo)
#2 - Les Savy Fav - Inches
#3 - The GO! Team - Thunder! Lightning! Strike
#4 - Devandra Banhart - Rejoice! blah blah blah
#5 - Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse

GG-Duo

let it die,
underachievers please try harder,
our endless numbered days,
good news ...,
smile

honorable mention: More Adventurous

(perhaps)

Star Power said:
Like Dream Theater? :lol :lol :lol :lol
Er, exactly. Extremely talented musicians with great music. I'm glad you agree.

Oh and yeah, Live at Budokan was by far the best release of the year. :rock

I prefer DJ Kno's Black Album remix much much more than Dangermouse's.

My list thus far, in no order:

Cee-Lo's "Cee-Lo Green is the Soul Machine"
Madvillain's "Madvillainy"
Masta Ace's "A Long Hot Summer"
Bjork's "Medulla"

And since I can't think of anything else, DJ Shadow's "In Tune & On Time" mix, which is in a way cheating, but I give up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ZootedGranny said:
I prefer DJ Kno's Black Album remix much much more than Dangermouse's.

My list thus far, in no order:

Cee-Lo's "Cee-Lo Green is the Soul Machine"
Madvillain's "Madvillainy"
Masta Ace's "A Long Hot Summer"
Bjork's "Medulla"

And since I can't think of anything else, DJ Shadow's "In Tune & On Time" mix, which is in a way cheating, but I give up.

Gotta give you props on the TTOMO.

Dream theater would be so awesome if their lyrics werent so pretensious and their frontman didnt have such an awful awful voice. Everything else is near perfection

ElyrionX

LinesInTheSand said:
Er, exactly. Extremely talented musicians with great music. I'm glad you agree.

Oh and yeah, Live at Budokan was by far the best release of the year. :rock

I saw the DVD yesterday and was really tempted to pick it up. But I'm broke as hell after paying for all that games this month. How good is it really? Should I pick up the CDs or the DVD? How does it compare to the Images and Words - Live in Tokyo/5 years in a livetime DVD?

fart

Savant
sorry but dream theater is crap.

i think the fact that we're nearing 50 posts here with some excellent choices all around is evidence that this year has been pretty good. i mean, it's no '01 (THE GLOW PT 2), there haven't been any earth-shattering records, but it hasn't been too shabby either.

ElyrionX

Kabuki Waq said:
Dream theater would be so awesome if their lyrics werent so pretensious and their frontman didnt have such an awful awful voice. Everything else is near perfection

What are you smoking? James LaBrie's vocals are perfectly fine....

ElyrionX said:
I saw the DVD yesterday and was really tempted to pick it up. But I'm broke as hell after paying for all that games this month. How good is it really? Should I pick up the CDs or the DVD? How does it compare to the Images and Words - Live in Tokyo/5 years in a livetime DVD?

DVD is awesome. In terms of video & audio quality and the actual camera work itself it's probably the best concert DVD I've ever seen. I wasn't excited about the playlist when I read it before I purchased it but it's a great concert and worth twice what the ycharge in stores :) PICK IT UP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom