• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Democrats, Bernie Sanders Defend Anti-Abortion Members Of Their Party

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSweeley

Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/democrats-pro-life_us_58fcd709e4b06b9cb917a7ee

Top Democratic leaders said Sunday that their party welcomes people who are pro-life, despite the party being strongly defined by its support for abortion rights.

“Of course,” House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.”

“I have served many years in Congress with members who have not shared my very positive, my family would say ‘aggressive’, position on promoting a woman’s right to choose,” she said. “But what you asked... was about what unifies Democrats. Our values unify us. We are unified with our commitment to America’s working families about job creation, about budget policies that invest in the future, good-paying jobs.”

Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said it’s fine if an elected Democratic official personally opposes abortion, but from a policy standpoint, he or she must support a woman’s right to choose.

“When it comes to the policy position, I think we need to be clear and unequivocal,” Durbin said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “As long as they are prepared to back the law, Roe vs. Wade, prepared to back women’s rights as we have defined them under the law, then I think they can be part of the party.”

The issue is in the forefront because of recent drama over the Democratic National Committee last week endorsing a Democratic candidate for mayor of Omaha, Nebraska, who has a record of voting against abortion rights. Among other progressives, NARAL Pro-Choice America President Ilyse Hogue torched the DNC for making a “politically stupid” move.

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) went to Omaha last week to rally for Heath Mello, who is trying to unseat the city’s current GOP mayor. He said Sunday that he didn’t think the intraparty scuffle was that big of a deal.

“I have a 100 percent lifetime pro-choice voting record,” Sanders said on CBS’ “Face The Nation.”

“But if we are going to become a 50-state party, if you’re going to go to Omaha, Nebraska, which has a Republican governor, two Republican senators, all Republican Congress people, Republican legislature, you know what?” he continued. “If you have a rally in which you have the labor movement, and the environmentalists, and Native Americans, and the African American community, and the Latino community coming together, saying, ‘We want this guy to become our next mayor,’ should I reject going there to Omaha? I don’t think so.”

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I've been upset with Bernie and very very disappointed in how Perez handled this whole thing, but it sounds like they realize they fucked up and are trying to fix things now which is...well its a start. But now Perez in particular is on the back foot as far as I'm concerned, I want to see how he really corrects this

Peru

Sanders is the most wishy washy, spineless Democrat to ever get a movement of people following him. Never stands up for what's difficult, always finds ways to sell out the weak.

Elandyll

Banned
Heard that this morning... They're preparing for a 50 state strategy.

Needed, maybe, but they're going to have to toe a fine line....

I think it's great that the Dems are being pushed to a higher standard on reproductive rights. I just hope they're held to this standard consistently.

Makonero

Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said it's fine if an elected Democratic official personally opposes abortion, but from a policy standpoint, he or she must support a woman's right to choose.

”When it comes to the policy position, I think we need to be clear and unequivocal," Durbin said on CNN's ”State of the Union." ”As long as they are prepared to back the law, Roe vs. Wade, prepared to back women's rights as we have defined them under the law, then I think they can be part of the party."

I mean, duh? This is kind of already the thing when we had Tim Kaine as vp nom who is personally against abortion but supports it in policy. Why are people asking why this is a new thing?

As long as they feel this way

Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) said it’s fine if an elected Democratic official personally opposes abortion, but from a policy standpoint, he or she must support a woman’s right to choose.

“But if we are going to become a 50-state party, if you’re going to go to Omaha, Nebraska, which has a Republican governor, two Republican senators, all Republican Congress people, Republican legislature, you know what?” he continued. “If you have a rally in which you have the labor movement, and the environmentalists, and Native Americans, and the African American community, and the Latino community coming together, saying, ‘We want this guy to become our next mayor,’ should I reject going there to Omaha? I don’t think so.”

Makes sense. Democratic party members in traditionally more Republican states will probably have to compromise a bit to get elected. And abortion is so divisive it's probably one of the first views to soften. As long as the federal Democrats remain more vigilant about this, I don't really mind.

AColdDay

They are softening their stance because they want to win. I live here in the south, and during the bleakest days before the presidential election all the staunch republican friends I have were using abortion as their last stand.

"HOW CAN YOU SUPPORT A CANDIDATE THAT MURDERS BABIES?!" is a very difficult argument to beat when the people saying that don't listen to reason. Until you find a way to beat that, it doesn't matter how deplorable the republican nominee is, their base will vote for them again and again and feel justified that they are making the "godly" choice.

I've been upset with Bernie and very very disappointed in how Perez handled this whole thing, but it sounds like they realize they fucked up and are trying to fix things now which is...well its a start. But now Perez in particular is on the back foot as far as I'm concerned, I want to see how he really corrects this

What happened to all your talk about how terrible you thought purity tests are for the party? This sounds very purity testy of you.

Sanders is the most wishy washy, spineless Democrat to ever get a movement of people following him. Never stands up for what's difficult, always finds ways to sell out the weak.

I don't think he's spineless, but instead aggressively one–track. He wants to win seats in these red states, and well, this is how he sees that happening.

Makes sense. Democratic party members in traditionally more Republican states will probably have to compromise a bit to get elected. And abortion is so divisive it's probably one of the first views to soften. As long as the federal Democrats remain more vigilant about this, I don't really mind.
I'm not convinced that this will really help in deep red states regardless though

I don't think enforcing ideological purity is a particularly effective way to bring more people into the fold, so I have no complaints about this.

Definitely make sure you have a solid coalition in your corner when it comes time to fight about an issue, though. That goes for reproductive rights but also for all the other issues that aren't reproductive rights.

KSweeley

Mello, the Omaha, Nebraska Democratic Mayoral candidate has a clear anti-abortion record.

Link: http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/23/politics/bernie-sanders-heath-mello/

Mello developed an anti-abortion image and record during his time in Nebraska's state legislature, where he has served since 2009. For example, in his first year there, he signed onto a bill mandating a doctor performing an abortion offer the woman an ultrasound. He told the Associated Press at the time it was a "positive first step to reducing the number of abortions in Nebraska."

Link: http://www.glamour.com/story/bernie-sanders-heath-mello-anti-abortion

To say that Mello has a less-than-supportive record on reproductive rights would be an understatement. In 2009, as a member of the Nebraska legislature, Mello sponsored a bill that would require women seeking abortions to be told they could see an ultrasound before the procedure. He also sponsored the state’s 20-week abortion ban, voted in favor of having a doctor present during abortions (limiting options around telemedicine care), and voted to ban insurance plans in Nebraska from covering abortion.

Now he has a major political backer in Sanders, a self-described progressive who has a 100 percent approval rating from pro-choice group NARAL. Political activists and reproductive rights supporters rightly questioned why Sanders would back a candidate who has a record of being antiabortion, especially in a relatively progressive city like Omaha (Douglas County, where the city’s located, was one of the two counties Hillary Clinton won in the state). “The truth is that in some conservative states there will be candidates that are popular candidates who may not agree with me on every issue,” he told NPR. “I understand it. That's what politics is about.”

According to Sanders, a woman’s right to choose what happens to her body will only be safe if more Democrats than Republicans win elections. “We have got to appreciate where people come from, and do our best to fight for the pro-choice agenda,” he said. “But I think you just can't exclude people who disagree with us on one issue.”

Sanders also said that Democrats need “a progressive agenda, to bring people into this party, to mobilize people,” but it’s not clear how he sees an antiabortion candidate connecting with the Democratic party’s platform of promoting women’s reproductive rights. Diminished access to reproductive health care overwhelmingly hurts the poorest women in America—reproductive rights and economic equality are linked.

Shortly after Sanders’ comments, Democratic National Committee chair Tom Perez made a statement on the matter (though he didn’t mention Sanders or the party’s official stance on Mello). "The Democratic Party's platform states clearly our support for every woman's right to make their own choices about their reproductive health and to have access to safe abortion services," Perez told NPR. "As DNC chair, I stand by that position unequivocally, as I have my entire life."

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

In Bernie's case this comes on the heels of him being "unable to say if Ossoff is a progressive or not". He's since come out and basically rescinded that, but at the time the back to back waffling on Ossoff followed by excusing Mello's abortion stances were a really bad reinforcement of a lot of stereotypes people have about Bernie

As I've learned over the past year or so, there's no time for purity politics, we must be a big tent party, why would we try and primary a rural Democrat since they're the only one that can win in a rural state, a 50-state strategy requires some pro-life Democrats, etc. etc.
I don't necessarily agree with this, but it's a pretty common viewpoint

Peru said:

Hehe

guek

Banned
Lots of people are only pragmatic when it suits them.

Calling out the dems on this is reasonable but the party platform isn't changing and the sky isn't falling. There's no reason to be outraged...yet.

daman824

Complete and total non story. I don't give a fuck if you're against abortion as long as you don't try to make one incredibly hard to get.

I live in Omaha Nebraska. Would much rather have Heath Mello over stothert. But I guess a lot of dems don't feel the same way

Stories like this put republicans in office

I mean, the title of the article is pretty damning, but the article itself makes sense. The overall party platform is still pro-choice. It's an unfortunate thing, but we do need those moderate Dems in certain areas, at least for now.

God, it fucking sucks how much of an issue abortion is in this country. We need to really reframe the conversation surrounding it to the left's advantage somehow.

It's simple. Do you actually believe in a big tent "50 state strategy" or not. Because I get the feeling a lot of people, specifically Sanders supporters, have zero understanding how a political party is built. You're not going to elect a lot of democrats in lily white conservative rural districts and states without some ideological diversity.

Pro life democrats are always going to be rare on the national congressional level, I have no problem with them being in the party.

As I've learned over the past year or so, there's no time for purity politics, we must be a big tent party, why would we try and primary a rural Democrat since they're the only one that can win in a rural state, a 50-state strategy requires some pro-life Democrats, etc. etc.

We probably shouldn't be calling anti-choice candidates progressive, while simultaneously implying a candidate with center-left economic views (but solidly on the left socially) is not progressive.

The problem is not Heath Mello. It's fine if you want to support him against a Republican (though supporting him in the primary is suspect). But don't call him progressive.

The movement isn't surprising with how many people are happy to let racists and supremacists spread their message instead of taking action.

Tansut

It's almost like his progressiveness revolves solely around wall street and is why half his responses to any topic end up mentioning it regardless of how non-sequitur it feels.

It's simple. Do you actually believe in a big tent "50 state strategy" or not. Because I get the feeling a lot of people, specifically Sanders supporters, have zero understanding how a political party is built. You're not going to elect a lot of democrats in lily white conservative rural districts and states without some ideological diversity.

Pro life democrats are always going to be rare on the national congressional level, I have no problem with them being in the party.
I'm honestly not convinced a 50 state strategy is even feasible in the us tbh

guek

Banned
Complete and total non story. I don't give a fuck if you're against abortion as long as you don't try to make one incredibly hard to get.

I live in Omaha Nebraska. Would much rather have Heath Mello over stothert. But I guess a lot of dems don't feel the same way

Stories like this put republicans in office

Dems absolutely LOVE passing judgement on counties they've never even visited.

That said, Mello is pretty shitty when it comes to abortion rights and deserves to be called out on it. What's important is that party leeadership are not backing down on their pro-choice stance for the nation. You have to choose your battles though. You'd think all the people who supported Hillary despite her embarrassingly wishy washy record would be able to accept that.

You have no choice but to give ground on things like guns and abortion to have any viability outside of big liberal cities. Welcome to the real world.

You mean........... they acknowledge their anti abortion members and have a protocol that protects party policy against their personal feelings on the topic.

Whompa02

”I have a 100 percent lifetime pro-choice voting record," Sanders said on CBS' ”Face The Nation."

Yeah seems real wishy washy to me. Seriously, what the hell are you talking about, Peru? If anything, Sanders has been beating the same drum for decades.

djkimothy

What a non progressive thing to do... I guess gun control will be next on the chopping block since we're appeasing the south for the sake of bernie support.

Xe4

Banned
These are people of the party with guys like Manchin on board. Of course they compromise on this issue, it's hardly surprising. In deeply red states, the choice is either be flexible on abortion rights or don't get elected. Same with guns. It sucks but it's what you have to do to get a 50 state strategy by.

On the whole, democrats are still strongly in favor of a woman's right to choose, just not every member is allowed to express that as freely. A democratic majority will always be in favor of expanding woman's rights in the foreseeable future. It's just on votes that don't matter, they'll let some dems move their vote.

A fifty state strategy has to mean giving congresspeople in redder states and districts freedom to say whatll keep their seats. Let them do what they have to when placating their constituents.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's dangerous to have a single issue litmus test like this. I don't see why Democrats are enraged about the Mayor of Omaha. Basically the same thing that had Bernie Bros not vote Clinton. She only lined up 90% with Bernie, so, fuck her, right?

Last I checked the Mayor of Omaha isn't going to be able to change thinga, even if he were to want to.

Dems absolutely LOVE passing judgement on counties they've never even visited.

That said, Mello is pretty shitty when it comes to abortion rights and deserves to be called out on it. What's important is that party leeadership are not backing down on their pro-choice stance for the nation. You have to choose your battles though. You'd think all the people who supported Hillary despite her embarrassingly wishy washy record would be able to accept that.

Yep. I'm all for criticism of Mello, but when was the last time Planned Parenthood Action or NARAL vocally condemned the DNC for backing an anti-choice candidate?

kirblar

This is the entire problem w/ Sanders' worldview: http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/04/bernie-sanders-and-tom-perez-must-not-abandon-womens-rights.html

For some time now, Sanders — who, it should be noted, has an extremely strong legislative record on reproductive rights — has spoken somewhat carelessly about a populist strategy that exchanges some core Democratic beliefs for the set of issues that are most important to him. “Once you get off the social issues — abortion, gay rights, guns — and into the economic issues, there is a lot more agreement than the pundits understand,” he said in 2015. In January of this year, at a CNN Town Hall, he reiterated, “Yes, of course, there are differences on issues like choice or on gay rights … But on many economic issues, you would be surprised at how many Americans hold the same views.”

The issue is that if you follow this to its logical conclusion, you end up allied w/ Le Pen.

Slayven

As long as the party policy is hard Pro Choice, what ever. But it does send a weird message to women aka one of the democrats base blocks.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
it's fine if an elected Democratic official personally opposes abortion, but from a policy standpoint, he or she must support a woman's right to choose.

”When it comes to the policy position, I think we need to be clear and unequivocal," Durbin said on CNN's ”State of the Union." ”As long as they are prepared to back the law, Roe vs. Wade, prepared to back women's rights as we have defined them under the law, then I think they can be part of the party."

I don't see the problem here in his perfect world where the elected officials tow the party line.

You guys are acting like this is some huge betrayal when they are saying, you might oppose abortion, but respect of a woman's right comes out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom