• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top Saturn Imports?

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Ok heres the deal, one on my good friends is going to Japan at the end of this month. He's offered to pick up games for me while hes out there. Anyone recommend any good import Saturn games he should pick me up?(also that hes likely to see there?) Was also thinking of having him find a PLaydia for me but don't know the likely hood of him actaully seeing one hahaha. But as for the import games they must be import friendly since I can't read japanese, thanks! :)

U K Narayan said:
Radiant Silvergun.

Pretty much, there are also other great shooters, including.

Sokyugurentai (spelling probably wrong) amongst others

Also, I have Vampire Savior and Metal Slug, which are both very good.

Tsubaki

http://www.ga-forum.com/showthread.php?t=30416

So as to not re-create the wheel:

Tsubaki said:
My recommendations lean on the Japanese-heavy side:

Sakura Taisen - classic adventure game with strategy isometric battles. see what the hype is about, and be blown away. it's like playing an anime.

Grandia - the definitive version of my favorite RPG of all time. the game was made centered around the Saturn architecture, and the voice actors are all top notch (Inoue Kikuko, Hidaka Noriko, Touma Yumi, Hisakawa Aya, Yamaguchi Kappei among others)

Grandia Digital Museum - although it is a fandisc, it's also a complete game in of itself. it's got 4 large dungeons to clear, with stuff to find. once you find everything, the game gives you an ending. best of all, they put effort into this fandisc by giving all the characters new spell chants, and for at least one character, spells you likely never saw in the original Grandia

Chaos Seed - incredible gem of a game that is a mix of aRPG, resource management, and building. it's a remake of a SFC game, and was voted among the top 10 of Favorite Saturn games by Japanese gamers. (FYI others on the list included Langrisser IV + V, Shining Force III Sce. 3, Yu-No (ranked #1), Thunderforce V, etc)

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together - don't really need a whole lot of Japanese to play IMO, but it's the better of the 32 bit remakes as it has voice acting and rearranged music, and minimal load. It's an excellent (hard) strategy game that requires planning and trying different things.

Langrisser IV + V - another recommendations for these great SRPGs. it's kind of like fire emblem except it has generals. units close to the general get bonuses. so it has a unique element.

Some non-Japanese intensive games include:

Burning Rangers - you asked about this, and someone answered and I would have to disagree with their reply. Is Japanese required? It is true that Kris gives you instructions vocally on where you should go to finish the stages. But 1) in any other normal game, you just explore and figure it out anyway. There's no reason why you can't do that here either. I've done it as I wasn't as fluent in Japanese as I am now when I played BR. and 2) For the meat of the game, once you beat the game once, then the game is all about finding the most hostages in the fastest time before clearing a stage for Stage Rank. But after you beat it once, all the hostage locations are randomized. Kris' vocal instructions do not help you at all with the hostage locations, and only tell you how to navigate through a stage. Since you already beat it, you already know how to beat the stage. So it's a matter of exploring every nook and cranny -anyway- for hostage locations.

Thunderforce Goldpack 2 - contains Thunderforce AC and Thunderforce IV. TF4 in particular is better here than the Genesis version because it removes the slowdown.

Radiant Silvergun - love it or hate it, it's a showcase of what the Saturn can do. beautiful looking game. and the game is sort of like a puzzle game in a shooter costume. not everyone's cup of tea, but it's extremely well made. I personally have more fun with it than Ikaruga.

Vampire Savior - great fighting games. 4MB RAM cart makes Savior far better than the wannabe PSX one.

Fire Pro Wrestling 6 Men Scramble - at the time it was the most revered wrestling game because of the technique it involved. but since they have FPWD for Dreamcast, and also the GBA iterations, I'm not sure if this one is the king anymore. Still a great game, and 6players on the Saturn.

Sakura Taisen Hanagumi Taisen Columns - basically columns with a ST theme, which changes the gameplay since there are "supers"/hissatsu that you do once you fill up the meters. Kind of like SPFIIT in that way.

The other Capcom 4MB ram cart fighters depend on how much you like those respective games (XMvsSF, Marvel vs SF, SFZ3). But SF Zero 3 in particular has the correct aspect ratio compared to the arcade. The Dreamcast Zero 3 is like an upgraded version of the PSX port.

bubblesymphony-f.jpg

Bubble Symphony

mizu_1_web.jpg

Mizubaku Adventure (Liquid Kids)

Grifter

What did Bubble Symphony play like?

My most played import was probably Fire Pro Wrestling S. I also preferred Sokyugurentai over Radient Silvergun but they were both great.

Did anyone like Groove On Fight? At the time, it had its share of fans but I thought it was terrible.

Tain

Sakura Taisen Columns is the best in the series.

Radiant Silvergun is better than Ikaruga, yeah.

And I'm actually a pretty big fan of Thunderforce V.

Namely Silhouette Mirage and Grandia.

Both on the PSX only. Silhouette Mirage was screwed around with, apparently, though I've never tried the PSX version.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Tengai Makyo: The Apocalypse IV - Funny RPG taking place at the end of the 19th century in a skewed, anachronistic and politically incorrect version of America. Traditional mechanics, 2D graphics, some impressive anime style battles. It's a great game.

Princess Crown - looks hot, I've never played it but hear a lot of good things about it.

DoDonPachi - even though I hear the PSX version is better. The arcade version is a fantastic manic Cave shooter.

Linkle Liver Story - simple but fun action RPG, with a slight furry bent. Nice music.

I'll second some of the votes I've seen in this thread: Radiant Silvergun, Soukyugurentai, SFZ3, Langrisser IV and V...

In addition to the others already mentioned...

Psychic Killer (if it's cheap). Fun and very, very beautiful action side-scroller for two players, though short. Certainly, one of the finest-looking Saturn games I ever imported.

If you've got the Virtual On sticks, look for the Gundam Gaiden/Side Story games, particularly the second and third ones since they support this controller. Fun stuff, and definitely among the best Gundam titles ever made...although, that's not too hard.

Togue King of Spirits 2 was one of my most-played racing titles of that gen. Great mountain-side drifting and probably the best non-shooter Cave title out there.

shoplifter

^^WTF 'if it's cheap'? I've not seen Taromaru below like $200 in several years. At best I'd buy it and sell it after I'd played it.

Grifter said:
What did Bubble Symphony play like?

It plays like fucking awesome. Probably my second or third most treasured Saturn title behind Panzer Saga and Elevator Action Returns, which is also fucking great.

Did anyone like Groove On Fight? At the time, it had its share of fans but I thought it was terrible.

I had it for a while, then ended up selling it for twice what I paid. I like it slightly more than Anarchy in the Nippon, but it's pretty even since Anarchy has the salaryman.

Anarchy in the Nippon was fucking awful...purchased practically sight unseen when I heard that it was designed with the help of the top VF players in Japan. (Unintentionally) funny shit, but I guess I was only impressed that they had that nice subway train stage in the end. Poor, poor game otherwise.

shoplifter

I'm not complaining about owning it, my friend mailed it to me for nothing :lol

It's a fun mess around game, but yeah, it goes to show that labours of love don't always turn out well.

:/ I paid $85 for that piece of shit the first week it was out... Hell, I got more enjoyment out of Golden Axe the Duel...and that cost me more at the time.

Top Bottom