• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight Frontiers Free-to-Play Philosophies and Dusk Mage reveal

Helios

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/t...s/detail/11014403-our-free-to-play-philosophy
  • We believe that the Free-to-Play model gives the widest possible audience access to Torchlight Frontiers. We will be building the game with this approach to start, with the hope that it provides the ability to grow and expand our game for years to come. If it doesn't, we will change course.
  • We believe item sales should enhance your enjoyment of the game. We believe the best items to sell are ones that you want to buy, but do not need to buy.
  • We believe that you should earn your game play rewards through adventuring and killing monsters! However, we understand that some people's time is constrained by real-life responsibilities, so within reason we will allow for limited acceleration of various metrics, like gold, luck, etc. Whenever possible, we think these powers should be shareable with your friends, and will still require that you earn your loot through adventuring.
  • We believe that normal gear, like your armor and primary weapons should be attainable only by adventuring and finding them. That said, we may sell some special items, like specific Relic Weapons. If we do, we will always strive for there to be a reasonable way to attain or craft them through normal gameplay.
  • We seek to have fun with cosmetic items, like decor for your fort. These will span the spectrum from things you can buy, to things that drop from monsters, to things you can craft. These items have no gameplay impact, so they are entirely optional for you. But they are fun!
  • We reject "pay-to-win". For one thing, there is no specific "winning" in Torchlight Frontiers. We want you to be who and what you want to be in our world. We know that killing a boss and finding that cool rare item is immensely satisfying, but buying that same item from a store or auction house is less so.
  • We have no plans to gate content from you. There will be no "premium" areas where paying players can play but non-payers cannot. The world of Torchlight Frontiers is open and fair, and we value our non-paying players and paying players alike. You are all valued members of our community.

Looks cool. This will probably be my class. I mostly played Embermage in T2.

Still not sold on the horizontal progression, though.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I liked Torchlight 1 but now I'm done with clickety click games, so that's why I'm looking forward to Lost Ark as it seems to do something more exciting and refreshing without necessarily losing the depth and nuance like Sacred 3 failed to do (its concept of making a loot game into a 3D beat 'em up wasn't inherently bad, it was done so awfully on every level it might as well have been). Lost Ark could fail in other ways, it's one thing to device good mechanics and another to make a worthwhile sprawling adventure and, especially, end game, but the core aspects of it look like they're on more than just the right track.

Last edited:
I liked Torchlight 1 but now I'm done with clickety click games, so that's why I'm looking forward to Lost Ark as it seems to do something more exciting and refreshing without necessarily losing the depth and nuance like Sacred 3 failed to do (its concept of making a loot game into a 3D beat 'em up wasn't inherently bad, it was done so awfully on every level it might as well have been). Lost Ark could fail in other ways, it's one thing to device good mechanics and another to make a worthwhile sprawling adventure and, especially, end game, but the core aspects of it look like they're on more than just the right track.

Have you tried Victor Vran?

Any one watch yesterday's live stream?

I think the game looks cool, and the changes to the horizontal progression seem like good decisions.

One thing that stood out to me was the free stash space is 3 tabs of 20, so just 60 overall.

Like with PoE, I don't mind paying for stash space if the game is good, but this seems a little on the small side to me.

Top Bottom