• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight III out on Steam Early Access - $29.99

EaaPMBDU0AA0mS9

ss_7d9a51fcf0cd76ee517deca0733fe153a696df60.600x338.jpg

It’s been a century since the events of Torchlight II, and the Ember Empire is in decline. In Torchlight III, Novastraia is again under threat of invasion and it’s up to you to defend against the Netherim and its allies. Gather your wits and brave the frontier to find fame, glory, and new adventures!

Travel the Frontier
Explore the wilderness, party with friends, gather materials to craft gear, or use magic to enter unknown dungeons! There’s always something to do in the new frontier.

Build & Upgrade Your Fort
It’s time to rebuild – and that includes you! Enjoy your very own fort, where you can upgrade gear and renovate your fort to show off to your friends and the world.

Collect Epic Gear
Whether it's armor, weapons, dyes, recipes, ember cores, or even new pets...there's always more to find as you battle through dungeons and take on dangerous foes.

Pets Are Back
Fight your way to fame and glory with your loyal companion! Add skills and equip them with gear to make them stronger. Each species comes in a myriad of colors and styles, so make sure to collect them all!

Build Your Hero
With four unique classes to choose from, players can utilize class-specific mechanics to maximize damage and their odds of survival. Combine epic gear, Relic powers, and class abilities to customize your playstyle.

Last edited:
Crazy.....I played the alpha and after reading about all the changes they were going to make to it I assumed it would be 2021.
Will give it a go, thanks for the post!

What did you think of the alpha?

Sounds like it is keeping some of the online functions

Exploring other player's forts

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
What is the current state of the Early Access version? “Early Access will begin with 4 playable classes, 2 complete Acts, dozens of quests, a player-created custom Fort feature (complete with enchanting, resource refining, and storage), over 100 Legendary items, and a myriad of weapons, areas, and boss battles. Early Access is only available in Multiplayer mode. Players will be able to play in groups of four and share certain public spaces in the game (like towns) with other players - up to 40 per instance. During Early Access we will unlock additional content, including the entirety of Act 3, a new end game experience, and other quality-of-life updates and feature improvements. There are some known bugs, but most reported issues do not prevent fully playing the game and will be part of where our focus lies in Early Access.

Online only for now boys and forced MP but fuck it i want it

Last edited:

Spukc

This game has an amazing title screen i love playing this pop up box
i rate this game 10/10 would def play pop up box again!
xqxkWgy.png

game is a bit short but it def looks cool <3

yes i know launch ARPG's are terrible day 1 online,
I do think not being able to play offline is a bit shitty, but oh well.

brb HAMMERING login

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
What did you think of the alpha?

Sounds like it is keeping some of the online functions

Exploring other player's forts

I play a ton of ARPG’s and I have always liked the look of the torchlight franchise.
The game has changed quite a bit since the alpha (the name obviously....and the removal of some monetization gameplay systems).

So far, for the 15 minutes I have played I liked it and will try to play more when the servers calm down.

Forced online seems to be an early access thing according to their FAQ.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
How are the classes this time around? I loved the original and hated the sequel and that's mostly due to the character classes.

Spukc

How are the classes this time around? I loved the original and hated the sequel and that's mostly due to the character classes.
i agree with that no idea why but TL2 never really gripped me and i loved 1

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
i agree with that no idea why but TL2 never really gripped me and i loved 1
The classes in 2 were good but they lacked the early tree stuff to make them feel unique. They all get there for the most part eventually, but it was clear the design of them was overly complciated for the sake of making htem unique.

Spukc

The classes in 2 were good but they lacked the early tree stuff to make them feel unique. They all get there for the most part eventually, but it was clear the design of them was overly complciated for the sake of making htem unique.
i replayed the game on switch again years later,
went for melee build, even finished it again, But it felt a bit boring.
maybe i should pick another class xD

Looks good, Would like to know if and or when a Switch port is coming and if cross-save/play will be a thing.

Last edited:

GHG

A lot of the reviews on Steam are scathing.

Sounds like it's another ARPG that's been gutted and dumbed down with the view of eventually finding a market on consoles.

Shame.

xrnzaaas

I'll play this in 2021 when it has singleplayer and (hopefully) is fully finished.

I have to say I don't like the news about the character progression being dumbed down, hopefully there's room for improvements here.

Last edited:

Spukc

ok it seems 21:9 is super zoomed in.
so basically breaking the game for ranged players.. fuck

had to refund for now.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sadly Im on the refund path as well. This is shockingly shallow.

The tree and loot is extremely basic. But the part that scares me is these are not easy fixes. You will need to basically start over on these trees to get them any kind of depth.

JSoup

Banned
Despite the early problems, I'm still interested.
Torchlight 1 was great, but going back to it now it's easy to see how janky the game is. Seriously, go install it now, the game is held together by spit and prayers.
Torchlight 2 was really good and a large jump from 1, but it was way to short and not great on repeated playthroughs.
So I'm used to the series having big highs and big lows.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
The second game was decent, mods were fun as well.

What I didn't enjoy was when you picked up the game again it didn't randomize everything, instead it kept where you left. So you couldn't regrind monsters etc.

Barakov

I was pretty excited for this but I think I'll wait for the full release. Seems like this is alpha access right now. Hoping they get things sorted because I enjoyed the first two games.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I played for a bit the other night; got a quest, did it.. then tried to go back to "camp" or whatever.. and my quests all reset. The quest I had just completed was now the one it wanted me to do..

It felt pretty janky in general.. the early combat is just.. bad.

Will give it another shot this weekend but I do not have high hopes for this game. There's also just way less skills to level... like felt like half of what Torchlight 2 had... and no rings and amulet slots? WTF? Hoping those unlock later, but that would be odd.

Last edited:
Whoa, i was super excited with this announcement until I jumped to the steam page.

Guys, it's literally standing with a "Mostly Negative" Review net on Steam - do not buy for the time being.

It seems it release state is abysmal even for "early access" so i'd stay clear off for now.

Hell, go buy Postal 4. At least that's a working EA game.

Ichabod

Banned
I really enjoyed the time I spent with TL 1 & 2, so I got excited when I saw this pop up on stream's storefront the other day. Then I started looking at reviews...

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
To answer a lot of question here. This really is a case of a FTP game adapted into a paid product. They didn't rebuild the game in any capacity. Its mechanics are that of a FTP game.

BlackM1st

Banned
I was so hopeful when they announced T3. Then all that "different loot for different locations for different levels for different heroes for different skills for different... " nonsense started and I was out. I will put it into Diablo Mobile category. No, ty.

Last edited:

More of a side-step than a full sequel

I didn't expect to be playing Torchlight III so soon, and definitely not in Early Access, but here we are. Well, here some of us are. After a surprise release over the weekend, the dust has settled. It's playable.

One glance at the Steam user review section paints a grim picture; that's what happens when an online-only sequel to a popular series comes out of the gate with server issues. For my part, I didn't start playing Torchlight III until Monday – by that point, at least for me, the connection issues weren't as prevalent – but I still faced a few way-too-long loading screens that kicked me back to the menu.

The thing is, it's not just disconnects. While I initially thought people were being too hard on the game (and some of the knee-jerk reactions undoubtedly were), there are also fundamental design concerns.

Is Torchlight III worth playing yet? For most people – even longtime fans – probably not.

Top Bottom