• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toriyama wants Lightning Returns' open world to beat Skyrim

RedSwirl

I don't hate Skyrim myself, I just think it's run of the mill and lacking variety - like all Elder Scrolls games for the most part, it's the width of an ocean but the depth of a puddle with a bunch of books hidden away for some infodumps. I would much rather have an intricately designed world with less space than the sparse content spread out over a really big landscape.

Emulating Skyrim, to me, makes me think this game is going to be a shallow and personality-free affair, that's all. Also, the fact that Bethesda still can't animate for shit makes me irritated.

I kind of feel the same, but Skyrim is my first Elder Scrolls game, so I have no frame of reference for what its flaws might be.

In my experience, I just like the absolutely massive amount of content in the game. Everything else in Skyrim to me is just "good enough." There are a lot of things that Dark Souls and The Witcher 2 do far better, but I still enjoy Skyrim almost as much just because of how much there is to do.

Toriyama, please stop.
Just make LightningRevengeance3 and say it's a good game.

Just... stop.
Come on, man.
I want to like this game, I do.

RangerBAD

All of this for an offhanded comment to one of the development team members. lol I'd rather them focus on releasing sooner than anything else.

why is skyrim a sudden standard for rpgs? the game fucking sucks.

Sales > Innovation

Why can't it be Innovation = Sales?

Savitar

I kind of almost feel bad for Square, their downfall is so painful to watch. Nothing feels solid, it's like they throw ideas at the wall and whatever doesn't fall to the floor they try, their own innovation and creativity is sorely lacking. Once they were the fountains of unlimited potential, now ha..

Once people followed their lead, now they follow.

Piecake

That's how Skyrom got me, I didn't realize until I was 40 hours into the game how dull it really was.

Yup, I got suckered as well. The game is beautiful, but I am not touching another one until the combat doesnt suck balls anymore and make the quests/story more engaging

bob page

I think they have their priorities confused.

How about they focus on creating characters that don't suck and writing a script that isn't terrible?

why is skyrim a sudden standard for rpgs? the game fucking sucks.

Bussiness reason:
Because it sold a lot

Visceral reason:
Because it seems to be actually a fun game to get lost in and explore the world (even if is Empty or glitchy). And not everybody disliked the game, in fact, it seems to be a popular game that has a lot of directed vitriol (some deserved, being fair) . I can see why many Japanese creatives would like the game.

The problem, is that Toriyama has not the talent to do what Skyrim did best (if another Bethesda games are going to by): Atmosphere, Inmmersion and world building.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
All of this for an offhanded comment to one of the development team members. lol I'd rather them focus on releasing sooner than anything else.

Sales > Innovation

Why can't it be Innovation = Sales?

Because casual gamers have no taste.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
People are kinda out for Square's blood at this point. Wow.

When did the mob mentality set in for Skyrim here? Reminds me of how GTA 4 is now looked upon.

back on topic, Final Fantasy trying to become the latest "big thing" is what made me switch to the western RPGs in the first place, how about looking into your own past and see what we really want is something no one else is attempting.

Didn't Toriyama refer to Skyrim when he requested the team to beat it, working on the Wildlands only?
When Kitase compared it to Dark Souls, wasn't he referring to it's difficulty or management of skills and items?

It does come off as buzzwords when they mentioned them, but the way it is being discussed here is like it is going to play like a shitty version of those games. According to the new game play details like these:
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/...and-difficulty-details-for-lightning-returns/
http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/...ehind-the-battle-system-of-lightning-returns/

that doesn't seem to be the case.
Sadly I find the discussion in Kagari's site about anything in LR to go better.

i think we all feel this way

the game is meant to be cleared more then once making time limit irrelevant

The thing is you can't get lost in an open world experience when you have 7 real time hours to actually explore, and you need to run off and actually do side quests to get another 6.

Getting lost in an Open World and having a Ticking Clock are mutually exclusive even if you reset the clock in a meaningful way (as opposed to effectively having to start the game over) because you still have to keep on eye on the clock in order to reset it , which ruins your immersion.

PS:- I don't think there's anything with Open World, nor do I think that an Open World Final Fantasy is necessarily a bad thing. I just think an Open World with a really short timer is nuts.

IWKYB

Banned
Better make her boobs bigger then with their own little minigame and husbandru.

sigh...

Bigger than Skyrim, yet GAME HAS TIME LIMIT so you're guaranteed never to see even 1/10th of what you could in Skyrim.

Brilliant.

Wait wait wait. It has a time limit?

Archer Mac

Neo Member
Each ingame minute (which is frozen in menus, cutscenes and battle) is 3 seconds long.
So 7 days = 8.4 hours, 13 days = 15.6h for running around not counting any element which causes time to stop. So there's some "padding" there. It's also not clear yet just how relevant NG+ will be, but I don't see any way to make it last 60 hours. xD
This was all either told directly or can be seen in the E3/Japan Expo demo videos.

Top Bottom