• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto-Age |OT4| Molested by a Burger Priest

jokkir

Air show, CNE (though $20 per ticket), hang out at Fan Expo outside to see the costumes, etc

edit - Also there's Buskerfest

Just got back from business in Utah. Great fucking scenery.

I am too lazy to click through previous pages. Kuro, please summarize the week to date. How was the weather?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Just got back from business in Utah. Great fucking scenery.

I am too lazy to click through previous pages. Kuro, please summarize the week to date. How was the weather?
Fuck this weather, fuck Utah, and fuck you! 😫

It was chilly when I went out to pick up my lunch. Ah well. It's too damn early for Summer to end...! Fuuuuuuuuuck my life!

Thanks to Quad for an earlier than my shipped Yakuza at a lower price too.

I don't care what you say, Quad! You don't got no kids! 🙄

Edit: mini review of Menya Fuji

It's surprising. Surprisingly good considering it doesn't look like much from the outside...or inside...

I did see credit card signs there and a machine so they likely changed their policy on cash only if that's a concern.

Anyways, the chashu was fantastic! The torching reminded me of when Kinton used to do it well. The egg was your usual egg. The ramen noodles themselves were unspectacular. The broth was ok though the shrimp oil they put in mine really gave it a more nuanced flavour. The bamboo shoots, for some odd reason, was excellent. We also had the karaage and it was also surprisingly good! It was nice and juicy without being extremely hot inside and the coating and batter gave it a satisfying bit of crunchy texture.

It's not a place I'd go out of my way to go to and definitely doesn't topple Isshin Ramen for me but I'd certainly pick it over Kinton.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Calling it now. Skip the line at Pablo and get the cheese tart at Cheese Garden instead up north. The actual filling is stronger and tastier and the actual crust is what I thought Pablo's was going to be. It's like a croissant and the outer edges are crispy and delicious. They recommend you rip the edges off and dip it into the filling. It's too bad it was a bit of a mess when we brought it home but it was still fantastic.

The cheesecake was reminiscent of Uncle Tetsu's but a lot fluffier and just didn't have as much flavour. I also though Uncle Tetsu's was a bit firmer, which is what I prefer.

Now excuse me while my blood sugar kills me.

ahdurian

Calling it now. Skip the line at Pablo and get the cheese tart at Cheese Garden instead up north. The actual filling is stronger and tastier and the actual crust is what I thought Pablo's was going to be. It's like a croissant and the outer edges are crispy and delicious. They recommend you rip the edges off and dip it into the filling. It's too bad it was a bit of a mess when we brought it home but it was still fantastic.

The cheesecake was reminiscent of Uncle Tetsu's but a lot fluffier and just didn't have as much flavour. I also though Uncle Tetsu's was a bit firmer, which is what I prefer.

all these places you recommend to far...at least for me
lazy to go to North York from Etobicoke

Sober

Or turn the corner and get cheese tarts from Uncle Tetsu instead.

How about a blintz instead?

Blintzes-with-Strawberry-Topping-640x480.jpg

Or a chocolate buffalo

Or Hamentashen

Or Kugel, it can be an appetizer, side dish or dessert!

:D

Fuck this weather, fuck Utah, and fuck you! 😫

It was chilly when I went out to pick up my lunch. Ah well. It's too damn early for Summer to end...! Fuuuuuuuuuck my life!

Thanks to Quad for an earlier than my shipped Yakuza at a lower price too.

I don't care what you say, Quad! You don't got no kids! 🙄

Edit: mini review of Menya Fuji

It's surprising. Surprisingly good considering it doesn't look like much from the outside...or inside...

I did see credit card signs there and a machine so they likely changed their policy on cash only if that's a concern.

Anyways, the chashu was fantastic! The torching reminded me of when Kinton used to do it well. The egg was your usual egg. The ramen noodles themselves were unspectacular. The broth was ok though the shrimp oil they put in mine really gave it a more nuanced flavour. The bamboo shoots, for some odd reason, was excellent. We also had the karaage and it was also surprisingly good! It was nice and juicy without being extremely hot inside and the coating and batter gave it a satisfying bit of crunchy texture.

It's not a place I'd go out of my way to go to and definitely doesn't topple Isshin Ramen for me but I'd certainly pick it over Kinton.

Never change, brother.

Also, Winter is coming.

I am sure I saw Rachael McAdams today riding a bicycle with some guy. I was better looking than him so basically means I could sleep with Rachael McAdams.

Wouldn't be my first celebrity hookup. Hint: Scott Pilgrim. Second Cup. Not Aubrey Plaza.

🕶

ahdurian

I am sure I saw Rachael McAdams today riding a bicycle with some guy. I was better looking than him so basically means I could sleep with Rachael McAdams.

Wouldn't be my first celebrity hookup. Hint: Scott Pilgrim. Second Cup. Not Aubrey Plaza.

🕶

don't you fucking dare say who i think you're going to say...

Entropia

No One Remembers

🕶

Michael Cera? Wow!

N° 2048

I think it's good to go at least once if you've never been - same with the CNE. Though also like the CNE, it doesn't seem to be getting any better the longer it runs.

Oh, for sure. One and done. Everyone should check it out once.

I've gone three times now and that's twice too many.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, for sure. One and done. Everyone should check it out once.

I've gone three times now and that's twice too many.
I still remember my first visit. I think it was with Firehawk, actually. The Ray Park no show controversy. Lou...LOUUUUUUU..! And Nicole DeBeor from Star Trek?

I dunno. Maybe. Can't remember what I even had for lunch nowadays.

She was barely famous or not really at all in 2009. I sure as hell didn't know who she was. Just a normal girl wearing a Wu-Tang shirt. She owes me a TTC token, actually.

At that time I probably would have traded Anna to hang out with Michael Cera. I am a huge AD fan.

Who? Anna Kendrick?

I'll try Fan Expo next year...never been to an actual con, despite an entire lifetime in sci-fi/gaming culture. I guess I've always been cool with just enjoying things from afar, but it still seems like something I should do at least once.

I'll try Fan Expo next year...never been to an actual con, despite an entire lifetime in sci-fi/gaming culture. I guess I've always been cool with just enjoying things from afar, but it still seems like something I should do at least once.

I've been saying that every year for the past few, I still haven't gone, 40 bucks is steep

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I guess it depends on what you're into, but if you've *never* been to a con, I'd suggest going to a fan run con instead of a corporate line-fest like Fan Expo.

Toronto Trek seems to be dead, but Ad Astra seems to be still going and I know Anime North is still a thing.

But if the movie/tv guests are the draw, then yeah, Fan Expo is basically the only game in town.

I still remember my first visit. I think it was with Firehawk, actually. The Ray Park no show controversy. Lou...LOUUUUUUU..! And Nicole DeBeor from Star Trek?

I dunno. Maybe. Can't remember what I even had for lunch nowadays.
I think I remember that. Honestly from back then I just remember Jesse shit talking the guy who played the TV Hulk because no one wanted his autograph.

I guess it depends on what you're into, but if you've *never* been to a con, I'd suggest going to a fan run con instead of a corporate line-fest like Fan Expo.

Toronto Trek seems to be dead, but Ad Astra seems to be still going and I know Anime North is still a thing.

But if the movie/tv guests are the draw, then yeah, Fan Expo is basically the only game in town.

I think I remember that. Honestly from back then I just remember Jesse shit talking the guy who played the TV Hulk because no one wanted his autograph.

Actually, no, I'm not too interested in the guests! More just fan culture and seeing stuff!

I love how Geocities this Ad Astra site is: http://www.ad-astra.org/who-are-we/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Actually, no, I'm not too interested in the guests! More just fan culture and seeing stuff!

I love how Geocities this Ad Astra site is: http://www.ad-astra.org/who-are-we/

What I like about actual conventions is that it's basically just normal people running them on their off time. At best they might have a couple of permanent employees to do the back end business stuff all year, which leads to the jank looking site.

Anime North, from all appearances, is big and thriving. (I still think it was funny that the Conservatives were holding their convention at the same time in the same place this year) But of course you probably want to be a fan of anime (and somewhere in your late teens to early 20s) to fully appreciate it. lol

Who? Anna Kendrick?
I know I troll here a bit but this one is true.

I have no idea if she was with Edgar Wright at the time. I assume not or it was not super serious at least. It happened almost 9 years ago and reading into it - seems she and Edgar started dating sometime during the filming of Scott Pilgrim. The very little we spoke about personal stuff I found her to be really sweet. Yes, we were both wasted. Still counts?

🕶

Quadratic

Just wondering if anyone got into the preorder sale for TIFF? I ended up browsing and only got a few tickets for Colin Geddes' farewell to Midnight Madness. @$35 per ticket + fees It's hard to take a flyer on a film you might only be mildly interested in. I recall the days when I thought $22 was high per ticket

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just wondering if anyone got into the preorder sale for TIFF? I ended up browsing and only got a few tickets for Colin Geddes' farewell to Midnight Madness. @$35 per ticket + fees It's hard to take a flyer on a film you might only be mildly interested in. I recall the days when I thought $22 was high per ticket
They want you to do the packages, like always. Also they keep adding more and more preorder windows to various sponsors - even the TTC had an exclusive ticket window.

I'm waiting for the individual ticket sales tomorrow. Because I like to play with fire.

...though ticketmaster has kinda ruined the fun. Hate that site, and the bizarre variable pricing they introduced last year alongside it.

Quick

Banned
Nice pics jokkir.

I keep saying I'm not attending Fan Expo every year when it ends, and I never followed through on it until this weekend.

I don't think I missed much aside from some cool cosplay.

A family was launching fireworks in the park, was a pretty good show, I wonder if they were leftover from Canada Day or are Labour Day fireworks becoming a thing now?

Someone was walking a dog through the park and it surprisingly didn't look freaked out, just kept turning it's head towards the lights every BOOM

krae_man

My flight home from PAX was overbooked by 9.

Managed to snag a $700US travel voucher and was only delayed 3 hours.

Next trips flights paid for!

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
and the bizarre variable pricing they introduced last year alongside it

$36 to see an arthouse film from Argentina
$21 to see mother!

Maybe because it opens the week after? I don't know, but sure, I guess I'll see mother! at TIFF in a few days.

I'm going to jump on The Shape of Water if I can get one for $21, too, but I won't hold my breath on that (and am fine waiting until December anyways). I also want to see Manhunt, but unfortunately it only has two screenings, one day after the other, and I have to work those days. I hate when they schedule movies like that.

edit - oh, and the ticketmaster site was mostly painless this year. Ordering TIFF tickets without any problems or hassle, what a world.

Top Bottom