• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toronto Transit Commission named best transit system in North America

I don't think it's the best, but I think a lot of people saying Toronto is undeserving don't understand how bad transportation is in general aside from a few major cities. Toronto is leagues above the transportation in Brampton and Mississauga even though they're so close. Go any further outside that and the transportation may as well not even exist. The fact that many people can live comfortably in Toronto without transportation is pretty neat if anything and in comparison to where I've lived before, I enjoy it.

Of course the transit in Brampton and Mississauga is worse, they're suburbs with totally walled off transit systems. As if that idea isn't looney enough as it is.

Speaking of things that pissed me off about transit in Toronto, paying twice for an short jaunt into Mississauga? Here in Ottawa I can use the same pass or transfer way into Quebec, same thing works in the other direction.

I learned to drive because the TTC is garbage

Sadly if the TTC is considered one of the best, I dread to imagine how bad it is in other cities.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
Never forget:
urbantoronto-4920-14991.png

Shoeless

I don't understand how this is possible. The TTC versus the New York subway and bus system and TTC wins? Just getting from the Spadina subway station to Chinatown in a streetcar is more of an ordeal than it needs to be.

Apathy

If the TTC won, the other transit systems must be kicking their passengers in the dick when they get on, cause the TTC does not deserve to be named best anything

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Never forget:
urbantoronto-4920-14991.png

Pretty much everything but Jane LRT and Don Mills LRT is in the works

Scarborough-Malvern LRT is tied to subway extension (which leads to scarb town center now)

Waterfront West LRT is currently going through study/recommendations phase

Crosstown is being built in 3 phases

Finch is being built next

Sheppard is being built after Finch

Plus there's the Yonge subway extension and the DRL

Once the infrastructure bank is set up, everything will likely get the money and then some.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Not holding my breath.

The Yonge extension has been both planned and talked about for more than 10 years. I doubt we'll get shovels down the ground for another 5. DRL? LOL.

again. infrastructure bank is coming soon.

All Toronto transit infrastructure are going to be huge targets for the bank because of the areas density/economy/value.

KoopaTheCasual

Wait, I thought NYC had a pretty good one? As a Torontonian, this makes no sense whatsoever.
Hahahaha.

Maybe once upon a time. But they've invested jack shit into the backbone of the system, which is 100 years old at this point. Train delays/breakdowns and 'construction' are more frequent than not, while prices still steadily climb.

Here is the latest, in a string of horric complete failures of our trains system.

Even the STM is better than the TTC.

Both are pretty bad though.

The STM rapid transit has more ridership than the TTC even.

The STM operates the second most heavily used urban mass transit system in Canada after the Toronto Transit Commission, and the third most heavily used rapid transit system in North America, after the New York City Subway and the Mexico City Metro.

soultron

Banned
When it's good, it's good, but when it's bad it's baaaaad. Last summer we had no AC in a tonne of trains and people were passing out it got so hot.

Uhhh, so why did I have to wait for my bus for almost 40 mins to get back home at the same time as always? Let's not even mention the subway delays every goddamn morning. TTC the best? Please.

Anony

i hate the ttc as much as the next torontian, but you have to give credit where credit is due: the ttc is severely underfunded, has little help from provincial and federal powers, and is constantly held back, but dispute this, the ttc has a vast network of coverage (toronto is fucking huge and our population is VERY low for our landmass)
does the ttc need better structure, service, and more fucking lines; yes, but when you considering everything, it's a pretty good system
for 3$ you can travel literally from one end of the city to the other, again, toronto is fucking huge (sucks if you have to travel a short distance, but it benefits more ppl then just the downtown ppl)

also note, i really hate it when people complain about not being able to catch the first train during rush hour or the trains being overcrowded
it's the same shit in hong kong and tokyo, the best transit systems in the world

I've been living in Tokyo for the past year now and I love this pic so much, I'm always quickly drawing up our subway map to show others. Coming back in August is gonna be such a step back... but hey at least the subway extension will be finished end of the year maybe hopefully!

If there is one good thing about the TTC is coverage. You can get to every major intersection in the city. All bus routes except 2 go to a subway station. You cannot get lost in the city if you take the TTC as it won't be very hard to reorient yourself once you get on a bus.

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
If there is one good thing about the TTC is coverage. You can get to every major intersection in the city. All bus routes except 2 go to a subway station. You cannot get lost in the city if you take the TTC as it won't be very hard to reorient yourself once you get on a bus.
That's true I suppose. What's that figure they are always talking about? You're never more than a 5 minute walk to a bus stop anywhere in the city?

Top Bottom