• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Recall no matter ho matter how many times I watch it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCKLES

being watched
Hasn't Verhoven said his preferred take that Quaid is in a coma and stuck in the Recall fantasy?

The original scripts had some intresting stuff. It nearly got made with Patrick Swayze playing Quaid. He goes into the Alien reactor and the machines defence system kills him...but the alien conciousness that powers it realises it's made a blunder and recreates Quaid as a perfect machine replica with the desire to turn the reactor on...which Cohaggan isn't too happy about obviously. But now Quaid can't be killed, because he can anticipate danger...so they concoct a plan to wipe his memories and ship him off to Earth out of harms way.

The hand at the end that starts up the reactors is Quaid's own...not an alien 3 finger one.

Great movie with a powerhouse of a soundtrack.

"BEEEENNYY! SCREEEWWWW YOUUUU!!!"

I always figured it was a dream. Especially when you factor in the little line the female scientist makes about Mars right before Quaid goes under at Total Recall.

"See you at the party!"

Oh god, so many good quotes in that movie.

Okay, I have to get it on DVD now. What's the best one to get? The one in that silly little Mars shaped tin?

ThirstyFly said:
"See you at the party!"

Oh god, so many good quotes in that movie.

Okay, I have to get it on DVD now. What's the best one to get? The one in that silly little Mars shaped tin?

God, no. The "baboon ass" tin is lame. Get the standard Amaray case with the silver slipcover.

So is that the same disc then, just in a normal, not stupid-as-hell case?

I've read reviews of the original disc and it sounds pretty bad (LD dump, etc).

Jim Bowie

ThirstyFly said:
I've read reviews of the original disc and it sounds pretty bad (LD dump, etc).

It's true, but inherent. Total Recall is thoroughly bad, from acting to transfer. :D

With that said, I bought it for 10 dollars and the silver slipcase dealie isn't too bad. It's no Criterion.

I really liked the commentary track on the tin version DVD, Arnold and Paul Verhoven are pretty funny guys. I also liked Verhoven's tracks on Robocop and Starship Troopers, and Arnold's on the first Conan DVD.

Shinobi

Benny: [to the three-breasted hooker] You make me wish I had three hands.

Benny: Ever fucked a mutant?

Lori: Doug. You wouldn't shoot me, would you sweetheart? Sweetheart, after all, we're married!
[Lori goes for her gun, Quaid shoots her]
Douglas Quaid: Consider that a divorce.

Melina: It's been a while Hauser. Still bulging I see.
[grabs his crotch]
Melina: What have you been feeding this thing?
Douglas Quaid: Blondes.
Melina: I think it's still hungry.

Vilos Cohaagen: Don't touch that, get away, get back!
Douglas Quaid: What are you afraid of? Turn it on.
Vilos Cohaagen: Impossible, once the reaction starts, it'll spread to all the turbinium in the planet. Mars will go into global meltdown. That's why the aliens never turned it on.
Douglas Quaid: And you expect me to believe you?
Vilos Cohaagen: Who gives a shit what you believe? In thirty seconds you'll be dead, and I'll blow this place up and be home in time for corn flakes.

Douglas Quaid: Where am I?
Johnnycab: You're in a Johnnycab.
Douglas Quaid: What am I doing here?
Johnnycab: I'm sorry. Would you please rephrase the question?
Douglas Quaid: How did I get in this taxi?
Johnnycab: The door opened. You got in.

Johnnycab: Please state your destination.
Douglas Quaid: [absently] Shit!
Johnnycab: I am not familiar with that destination!

Vilos Cohaagen: Richter, do you know why I'm such a happy person?
Richter: No, sir.
Vilos Cohaagen: It's because I have the greatest job in the solar system. As long as the Trebinium keeps flowing, I can do anything I want. ANYTHING. And I fear that if the rebels win, it all might end. AND YOU'RE FUCKING MAKING IT HAPPEN!
First you try and kill Quaid, and then you let him get away.
Ricther: He had help from our side, sir.
Cohaagen: I know that.
Ricther: But I thought...
Cohaagen: Who told you to think? I don't give you enough information to think! You do what you're told, THAT'S what you do.

Vilos Cohaagen: Kuato wants what's in Quaid's head, and he may be able to get it because they say he's psychic. Do you think you could play along?
Richter: Yes, sir!
Vilos Cohaagen: Good, 'coz if you don't I'll erase your ass.

Benny: Hey man, I've got five kids to feed!
[Quaid hands him a wad of cash]
Douglas Quaid: Then take them to the dentist.

Melina: How could you? You're a mutant.
Benny: I've got four kids to feed.
Douglas Quaid: So what happened to number five?
Benny: Shit, man! You got me. I ain't even married.

Tony: You've got a lot of nerve showing your face around here Hauser.
Quaid: Look who's talking.

Quaid: Relax. You'll live longer

Total Recall...one of the best quotable movies EVER.

Its up to you, there are 4 stories running at the same time so take your pick which one you believe.

1st story... Arnold walks into Recall and gets a Mars vacation
2nd story...Arnold walks into Recall and gets a Mars vacation though is suffering a schitzoid embolism and is going to get lobotomized.
3rd story...Arnold is a freedom fighter who was going to turn the martian atmosphere into real air and his mind got wiped and placed on earth.
4th story...Arnold is actually an asshole double agent who infiltrated the rebels and then volunteered for a mind wipe.

Its been a while since I've seen it but you can pretty much choose the story you want to believe as the ending is very open ended and up to interpretation.

oldskool

The movie ends in a bright flash, as if Quaid was waking up from a dream. I always thought this meant that it was all a part of Total Recall, and none of what happened was real.

Shinobi

I always thought it was open-ended...so you can make the ending whatever you want. I think I've always leaned to it being a dream, but there's no right or wrong answer.

Of course had this movie been made in the last couple years, in today's DVD era of alternate endings they would've shot like nine different versions, thus taking away a major chunk of the movie's charm.

ThirstyFly said:
Is that the one where he's drunk off his ass? I gotta get that too.

He might have been slightly drunk, which would explain why he often just describes what's happening on screen and doesn't quite remember the plot...

COCKLES

being watched
Don't forget Arnold's brilliant fake laugh with the holgram.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAARRR HAAAAAAAAAAARRR HHAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAAA!

Shinobi

COCKLES said:
Don't forget Arnold's brilliant fake laugh with the holgram.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAARRR HAAAAAAAAAAARRR HHAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHAAA!

:lol

"HAHAHAHA...YOU THINK THIS IS REAL?!? IT IS!!" *rat-tat-tat-tat-tat*

COCKLES

being watched
We need a return to early 90's / 80's where action heros just kicked arse with rocket launchers and witty one liners instead of having relationship issues and character based sub-plots.

evil ways

COCKLES said:
We need a return to early 90's / 80's where action heros just kicked arse with rocket launchers and witty one liners instead of having relationship issues and character based sub-plots.

Die Hard 4 is coming soon.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
bruce-willis-german-disco.jpg

Looks pretty young at heart to me.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I always thought it was real.

The part where Arnold has the fat woman disguise on and it starts malfunctioning still cracks me up. "Two weeks" :lol :lol

The part with the hologram makes me laugh if only for the fact that the guys are all in a circle around quaid when they fire at the hologram. It it were a real moment they would have all killed each other. Besides that, the movie is Fantastic!

ManaByte

SpoonyBard said:
He might have been slightly drunk, which would explain why he often just describes what's happening on screen and doesn't quite remember the plot...

I don't think he was drunk. But it's the greatest commentary ever:

Ahnuld: "Oh I luv this mofie it was so fun to make. We should do another one some day."
Director: ...
Ahnuld: "Oh yea, there was a second mofie."

Ahnuld: "Watch this..."
Conan elbows a guy and he falls down.
Ahnuld: "Hahaha he fall down and go boom. I love dis!"

Kuramu

when Quaid is at Recall, and they have him pick a woman type, the one on the computer screen is identical to the girl he ends up meeting. this leads me to believe it was all a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom