• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: WARHAMMER III Announce Trailer - coming 2021

ManofOne

Plus Member
drunk the rock GIF by ALL SEEING EYES

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Cool, I'm gonna be able to buy the "Blood for the Blood God" DLC a third time, lucky me !
The truth is CA won't have my money until they change their engine. I am done with these pre-calculated animations and this extremely limited physics. I want something like Euphoria, it's 2021 they can do it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
I know I will like the game but wake me up when they show actual gameplay.

edit: just checked, I have 710 hours of Warhammer II played.

Last edited:
Cool, I'm gonna be able to buy the "Blood for the Blood God" DLC a third time, lucky me !
The truth is CA won't have my money until they change their engine. I am done with these pre-calculated animations and this extremely limited physics. I want something like Euphoria, it's 2021 they can do it.
are you for real? you buy it once for any of the games and it transfers over to all of them..

Can't wait for this game war2 is amazing.

Kazza

I'm more of a history rather than a fantasy guy, so haven't tried any of these yet, but will probably jump in once everything is complete (I've heard that all the games combine to create one giant map - sounds intriguing). I know lots of hsitory nerds have been won over, so I'm sure I'll be able to get into it as well.

Rikkori

Whenever I see these CGI trailers I just wonder when will we get there with real time graphics.
Give it 10 more years (on high-end PCs, or PS7). Geometry, models detail etc doable even today maybe, but the real hit is the pathtracing with enough samples. Tbh the bigger obstacle will be labour, because having so much detail on screen for everything takes A LOT of artists & a long time. That's why when UE5 demo was shown you had the naughty dog & SSM guys saying "yeah good luck getting a full game at that level of detail to be released".

read these:

Last edited:
I'm more of a history rather than a fantasy guy, so haven't tried any of these yet, but will probably jump in once everything is complete (I've heard that all the games combine to create one giant map - sounds intriguing). I know lots of hsitory nerds have been won over, so I'm sure I'll be able to get into it as well.
i'll never go back to the historical ones, maybe an eventually medieval 3. I don't see the point when the warhammer ones offer much better battles due to different unique races and roasters.

Bkdk

Will definitely be missing a lot of features and content at launch before hundreds of dollars of dlc. Basically an early access game.

Last edited:

Elog

This will result in a lot of lost hours. Day1. Love Total War and love the Warhammer 1/2 games (on my top 5 list of played hours on Steam together with Attila).

Korranator

About damn time

I still need to play TWWH2. I own it just haven't played it. Just started a new run in TWWH the other day.

A.Romero

Hype.

I'll get it but not full price. Even if it's a new release and they allow you to play with the factions from 1 and 2, it's still the same engine and 90% the same game.

The speed at which they keep releasing this games is crazy. I mean, we had Troy a few months ago and Kingdoms the year before.

I had a friend who started playing Warhammer about 4 or 5 years ago. About the same time he stopped showering and started watching YouTube videos from content creators like Arch Warhammer and Sargon of Akkad. Became a proper incel almost overnight.

Wonder what his life is like now. Some proper weirdos play that little toy soldiers game.

A.Romero

I had a friend who started playing Warhammer about 4 or 5 years ago. About the same time he stopped showering and started watching YouTube videos from content creators like Arch Warhammer and Sargon of Akkad. Became a proper incel almost overnight.

Wonder what his life is like now. Some proper weirdos play that little toy soldiers game.

I don't think it's the game. I mean, it's somewhat complex and all that but not as much as many others in the market.

Hopefully he is OK. It sounds like depression to me.

GinSama

Been playing the first one..
Really liked but since the third one comes this year, is worthy to play also the second one??
Or just go straight to the third one when it comes??

Been playing the first one..
Really liked but since the third one comes this year, is worthy to play also the second one??
Or just go straight to the third one when it comes??

Play the second one. The quality of life improvements in 2 make
Plying 1 a chore.

Also 2 is usually cheap these days

anab0lic36

The total war series is something I feel like i should enjoy, but whenever I actually try one im left underwhelmed and bored by its combat. It doesnt feel like there is much strategic or tactical depth to the battles... beyond the basics like chipping away at enemys with ranged units before engauging and some minor formation manipulation, with a bit of flanking here and there. I dont really feel like, as the general of the battle, that i have that many interesting tools and choices at my disposal to consider, that will influence the outcome. Frequently It just kind of devolves into running blobs of units at other blobs of units and watching things play out. Quite often there is so much going on, in real time simultaneously, that it just becomes a chaotic mess that you cant effectively micromanage. I understand there is a pause function there, but is that the way its intended to be played? I never see anyone using it when i have observed others playing the game. Never hear the game described as 'real time with pause' like baldurs gate etc either. I feel like thats more of an afterthought, a crutch for those that need it, as if this was the intended method of play, more options would be afforded to you during the series of pauses. Impressive cinematically and as a simulation, but kinda leaves me unsatisfied from a gameplay standpoint. Though I havent tried the Warhammer ones, only the historical irerations, perhaps magic, spells and more variation in asymetrical unit types with differing abilities makes it more interesting....?

I think ultimately i will always find these games more appealing when its slowed down to where its turn based, with more meaningful decisions moment to moment, wheres its more about mathing things out as it is in table top wargames.

Last edited:

Ladioss

Totally missed the Cathay reference at first; I don"t even know if the original game has an official army list for them.

Meester

Neo Member
The total war series is something I feel like i should enjoy, but whenever I actually try one im left underwhelmed and bored by its combat. It doesnt feel like there is much strategic or tactical depth to the battles... beyond the basics like chipping away at enemys with ranged units before engauging and some minor formation manipulation, with a bit of flanking here and there. I dont really feel like, as the general of the battle, that i have that many interesting tools and choices at my disposal to consider, that will influence the outcome. Frequently It just kind of devolves into running blobs of units at other blobs of units and watching things play out. Quite often there is so much going on, in real time simultaneously, that it just becomes a chaotic mess that you cant effectively micromanage. I understand there is a pause function there, but is that the way its intended to be played? I never see anyone using it when i have observed others playing the game. Never hear the game described as 'real time with pause' like baldurs gate etc either. I feel like thats more of an afterthought, a crutch for those that need it, as if this was the intended method of play, more options would be afforded to you during the series of pauses. Impressive cinematically and as a simulation, but kinda leaves me unsatisfied from a gameplay standpoint. Though I havent tried the Warhammer ones, only the historical irerations, perhaps magic, spells and more variation in asymetrical unit types with differing abilities makes it more interesting....?

I think ultimately i will always find these games more appealing when its slowed down to where its turn based, with more meaningful decisions moment to moment, wheres its more about mathing things out as it is in table top wargames.
Using the pause button is desirable most of the time for me certainly. If you are looking for something a bit more challenging then multiplayer, turning up the difficulty or adding appropriate mods might get you covered.

I think a lot of people hamstring themselves with cheese, try and win with less OP armies [there are cap mods so you cannot spam mammoths]. Though since you only played historical, Warhammer Fantasy might be more up your steet with more variety, magic and mechanics. WH2 is the better than WH1 though if you own 1 on Stream [not installed] you get access to Mortal Empires campaign in 2. Plenty of flc too.

Last edited:

Relativ9

At like turn 450 for a Mortal Empires campaign right now, the AI takes fucking ages to finish their shit even sped up, I can't imagine how much longer it would take in the big ass TW:W3 campaign.

Also, is it just me or does 4 chaos factions vs 2 "good guys" seem a bit one sided? Can we get some Border Princes? Araby? (though I'm guessing the woke-crowd won't like it).

Top Bottom