• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer review thread

Karak

Cool, thx :)

52fps for a 980 in 1440p on the ultra preset? That's actually not bad and means that I can easily go for 1080p on my overclocked 980.

I posted my review just a bit ago and lol its pretty much exactly that. During heavy gameplay setting a setting or 2 down a notch locks it at 60 as well. I run a 980. Very happy with how it worked.

ISee

I'm sweating here. I'm so psyched for this. It's finally come full circle from Dark Omen for me.

Shadow of the horned rat and Dark Omen, what memories. I played the later way more than I'm willing to admit. But spells, the steam tank and certain banners were op... not that I'm complaining.

And from what I've seen so far the new total war seems to handle the Warhammer source pretty good. I'm actually hyped for this.

Shadow of the horned rat and Dark Omen, what memories. I played the later way more than I'm willing to admit. But spells, the steam tank and certain banners were op... not that I'm complaining.

And from what I've seen so far the new total war seems to handle the Warhammer source pretty good. I'm actually hyped for this.

Definitely, Total War after the Middle Earth mod just begged for a fantasy setting. This seems to deliver everything I wanted, with larger special units, hero units etc. I attribute my love of these games to Dark Omen. (I didn't play SOTHR until much later) I remember when I was about 10 or so getting these games in a Warhammer bundle on PC at Costco. I had just a normal crappy PC and could only run much older games. I used to go around buying cheap titles from the local grocery stores, mom and pops game shops and Costco whenever I could scrounge up money from small chores, lemonade stands or doing work for neighbors.

Oh man Chaos Gate too lol, that's the other one I remember vividly. I could never afford the tabletop stuff when I was young but I thought it was so damn cool.

ISee

Definitely, Total War after the Middle Earth mod just begged for a fantasy setting. This seems to deliver everything I wanted, with larger special units, hero units etc. I attribute my love of these games to Dark Omen. (I didn't play SOTHR until much later) I remember when I was about 10 or so getting these games in a Warhammer bundle on PC at Costco. I had just a normal crappy PC and could only run much older games. I used to go around buying cheap titles from the local grocery stores, mom and pops game shops and Costco whenever I could scrounge up money from small chores, lemonade stands or doing work for neighbors.

Oh man Chaos Gate too lol, that's the other one I remember vividly. I could never afford the tabletop stuff when I was young but I thought it was so damn cool.

I was maybe 14(ish) when I first played Dark Omen. I wasn't even aware that it was based on a tabletop game back then... That came ~4 years later. Back than I had no money to buy the figurines and now I have no time to paint them. Well maybe that's why we get a total war warhammer game now :)

And yes Chaos Gate was great, I still hope someone is working on a xcom 2 total conversion.

I was maybe 14(ish) when I first played Dark Omen. I wasn't even aware that it was based on a tabletop game back then... That came ~4 years later. Back than I had no money to buy the figurines and now I have no time to paint them. Well maybe that's why we get a total war warhammer game now :)

And yes Chaos Gate was great, I still hope someone is working on a xcom 2 total conversion.

I'm still holding out hope for a conversion as well. I should probably look around and see if anyone's working on one. I could probably lend a feeble helping hand as I have some experience with modeling and animation.

Effect

So decided to pull the trigger on this via GMG with their 20% off since the reviews seems pretty good and performance seems positive. I've mainly played the Civilization games along with the Age of Empires series long ago. I've never touched the Total War games until now. While I'm not a big Warhammer fan I find it interesting enough to have read some of the fantasy novels, mainly the Gotrek and Felix stuff, and played the Warhammer 40K Dawn of War games. I'm hoping I can have a repeat of Hyrule Warriors where it took the Zelda setting to get me to try and like a Musou styled game. The historical setting of the Total War games never interested me that much but the Warhammer setting does.

nubbe

~24 hours from release and Nvidia has issues :(
Version 368.22 WHQL Highlights

Issues Being Resolved with Total War: Warhammer
NVIDIA is working closely with Creative Assembly to resolve issues discovered in
Total War: Warhammer during testing. To ensure the best possible experience, update
to new drivers as they're released and download the latest game updates.

Apparently, this game uses AMD's Asynchronous Compute Engines to full effect with DX12, which Nvidia does not use at the moment.

So, AMD owners will probably be getting some extra flare with this game since they've been supporting ACE since 2011 and it's also in Mantle.

Hopefully, Nvidia get's their shit together soon. AMD's early adoption with DX12 and ACE is going to start showing it's rewards in DX12 games right away.

ISee

Thx for the heads up. I'll use this in the performance thread ('working' on it right now, still no idea if somebody else is planing one too...).

At least DX11 performance was okay in the preview versions with some bugs like vsync not working and msaa lightning being off. So maybe they are talking about this or they need more time to bring their DX 12 stuff up to date. We'll see.

cripterion

Jesus so many reviews and no one mentions problems with Nvidia cards and now all the sudden issues creep up?

Every single goddamn time...

Jesus so many reviews and no one mentions problems with Nvidia cards and now all the sudden issues creep up?

Every single goddamn time...

They were probably reviewing the game with older drivers.

I'm still using 362.00 drivers on all my games and they all work perfectly fine. using G-sync too.

I don't update drivers until I HAVE to and people in my go-to PC tech forums with similar system builds already tested them out.

From what I've read, the issue is a minor lighting issue with some units, but nothing game-breaking.

Hopefully, it's all fixed by tomorrow. Nvidia has probably been pulling all-nighters for Overwatch and Total War: Warhammer last-minute GeForce Experience optimizations right now.

Overwatch is much simpler though. Total War is a massive undertaking. So many units to calculate lighting and shadows for. I can see why some stuff could slip through.

cripterion

They were probably reviewing the game with older drivers.

I'm still using 362.00 drivers on all my games and they all work perfectly fine. using G-sync too.

I don't update drivers until I HAVE to and people in my go-to PC tech forums with similar system builds already tested them out.

From what I've read, the issue is a minor lighting issue with some units, but nothing game-breaking.

Hopefully, it's all fixed by tomorrow. Nvidia has probably been pulling all-nighters for Overwatch and Total War: Warhammer last-minute GeForce Experience optimizations right now.

Overwatch is much simpler though. Total War is a massive undertaking. So many units to calculate lighting and shadows for. I can see why some stuff could slip through.

Are you saying the issue is only on the latest drivers? I haven't updated yet, considering last time I did my 980Ti fried (might be pure coincidence yet, I'm becoming more weary of their drivers).

Top Bottom