• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TOTK: Does it make BOTW obsolete?

is BOTW worth playing after the release of TOTK?

• Total voters

Schmendrick

Totk is the better, more feature rich, game out of those two.
The missing dungeons still make this inferior to Twilight princess or Majora's Mask imho.

Majukun

No.
Actually the games have a completely different gameplay loop that makes totk one of trhe most different direct sequels I have ever played, probably even more than OOt-Majora

BOTW is based on slow methodical exploration and resource management
TOTK is based on ingenuity

you can see it by looking at the "hero's path" tracking for both games..in botw the path will be probably very erratic, since the loop is find high place>scout for places of interest>get rosources and shrines>back to part 1; in TOTK that doesn't happen because between the verticality and the access to the towers that immediately sent you to the sky ready to glide whenever you want, you will probably aklmost always get the more direct path to your objective and very rarely go by foot.

and resources are not an issue since you can make a weapon with sticks and stones found on the ground.

while i appreciated both games, i must say BOTW was more of an unique experience, TOTK was more of a traditional WRPG with the crafting and free solution puzzles attached

Last edited:

Caffeine

I can replay botw many times and never get tired of it. Yes even with the shitty dungeons. Tears is not a replayable experience to me. Tears has a lot of cumbersome moments due to requiring build mechanics. I had to force myself through the game that didn't happen in botw.

elhav

Botw might have less of everything compared to totk, but the world feels more natural and soothing to explore, and in the future I would prefer to replay it over totk

TotK shows how much farther Nintendo can develop a game with better technology than the Wii u architecture it was built on. And whatever they have coming up next will be even better.
A LOT better considering the CPU leap will be in the region of the same leap as the standard PS4 to PS5 CPU. Then there’s going to be 8GB more, much faster RAM and faster flash memory. The GPU is a bit of a non issue considering that they done a lot of modern effects (or approximations of modern effects) on such a limited sub 200gflop GPU on Switch. But having 1080p and above image quality will be good at last.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
coming up: 'spider-man 2: does it make spider-man obsolete?'...
I mean, we could have a discussion about that too. Same for ragnarok, and forbidden west.

Many sequels these days are REALLY iterative to such an extent I feel like they could be DLC. Gone are the days of drastic changes/improvements like Megaman 1 to 2, Street Fighter 1 to 2, Sonic 1 to 2, etc.

I mean, we could have a discussion about that too. Same for ragnarok, and forbidden west.

Many sequels these days are REALLY iterative to such an extent I feel like they could be DLC. Gone are the days of drastic changes/improvements like Megaman 1 to 2, Street Fighter 1 to 2, Sonic 1 to 2, etc.
nah. I mean, does each episode of the sopranos make the previous episode obsolete? same cast, same settings, same major story beats. making something 'obsolete' isn't really the same thing as simply embellishing on what was already there to begin with. quite the contrary, actually - it only demonstrates the solid, well-built nature of the original that allows for all the embellishing...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
nah. I mean, does each episode of the sopranos make the previous episode obsolete? same cast, same settings, same major story beats. making something 'obsolete' isn't really the same thing as simply embellishing on what was already there to begin with. quite the contrary, actually - it only demonstrates the solid, well-built nature of the original that allows for all the embellishing...
Maybe I worded that wrongly

I feel like so many sequels these days feel like they'd rather directly improve on the content we got previously instead of going for a unique approach that makes both their games a unique experience rather than one just being the "definitive" game in the series to play.

I wish we got more follow-ups like Majoras mask that adds a new twist to the formula while improving on elements from the original, as opposed to just being the original but better and with more content. Both OOT and MM are games worth playing because of their unique approaches to 3D Zelda. as are Wind waker, twilight princess and skyward sword. Idk how to properly put it into words, and I might be forgetting past games/being hypocritical here, but sequels should have that spin on things that sets them apart from the original while giving it and the older game both reasons to be played

Maybe I worded that wrongly

I feel like so many sequels these days feel like they'd rather directly improve on the content we got previously instead of going for a unique approach that makes both their games a unique experience rather than one just being the "definitive" game in the series to play.

I wish we got more follow-ups like Majoras mask that adds a new twist to the formula while improving on elements from the original, as opposed to just being the original but better and with more content. Both OOT and MM are games worth playing because of their unique approaches to 3D Zelda. as are Wind waker, twilight princess and skyward sword. Idk how to properly put it into words, and I might be forgetting past games/being hypocritical here, but sequels should have that spin on things that sets them apart from the original while giving it and the older game both reasons to be played
I'm in complete agreement with you here. you're talking about taking something as solid as the original, & simply milking it, &, yeah, I agree that this's happening, & that it sucks. but, as I mentioned, this's basically only a tribute to the power & durability of the original, meaning that, if anything'd be considered 'obsolete', or unnecessary, it'd be the sequels, eh?...

but this really has nothing to do with declaring botw 'obsolete'. to describe something as 'obsolete' is to imply that whatever it is that you're referring to does nothing of value better that whatever it is that you feel has replaced it. which, as you can gather from many comments on this thread, is most definitely not the case in the minds of many with botw. that game offers a very distinctive, unique, & enjoyable experience that very likely even you yourself had much fun with. say what you may about totk, it in no way makes that original experience 'obsolete', & anyone who'd tell someone expressing interest in playing botw that it was 'obsolete' would be depriving them of a very good time...

Nope, though I don't think these are games you can really play to completion within a short timeframe. BotW is really about exploring the environment where as TotK is about exploring the world's mechanics. TotK is the better game, but BotW is not irrelevant by any means.

BOTW is better. Less bloat compared to ToTK. I did enjoy both, but ToTK got really boring by the end. I still never even finished it.

Real story though, the old formula for Zelda is the best. Wish they never changed and just made the newer Zeldas a new IP.

I’m convinced more than ever a remake/ re-envisioning of OoT is the next 3d game.

I also expect that we don’t get a new 3d Zelda for Switch 2. I think Nintendo will challenge the developers and will try and devote energy and BoTW style 2d Zelda.

BoTW sense of wonder has only been captured two times previously. The original Zelda and OoT. It will be interesting to see what they do.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I like the story and lore better on BOTW but TOTK has some interesting updated mechanics. If I could only have one it would probably be BOTW.

Obsolete is the wrong word. It's more like BOTW has become redundant.

I don't want to replay either game. One time was fine for me. Both are masterpieces.

Where BOTW was an achievement, TOTK is an iterative milestone.

Hugare

100%, and thats due to both using the same map

If they have ditched the boring and undercooked depths for a new map, it would have been amazing. But the map's familiarity really made the game way less enjoyable than it could have been.

It could have been as perfect as the OoT/MM one-two combo, but they blew it

Last edited:

Arachnid

How many selected the vote that answered the OP question before noticing the poll question was the opposite?
Damn

Why phrase the question like that in the title and then completely flip it in the poll? Hate it when polls do that. Come on OP.

Looking back on this question nearly a year later, my answer is No. BotW is definitely not made obsolete by TotK. In fact, if I were to return to either one in the future, my preference would be BotW. TotK just had too much unimportant stuff to do that filled up time, but it wasn't interesting. The physics stuff of putting things together just... blech. Not something I would want to do again for 100 hours.

In hindsight, I think it would've been a better idea for the Zelda team to turn around a do TotK content as a smaller-scaled expansion pack for BotW, and set the bulk of the team on a brand new game. Knowing it'll be another 3-5 years for a big new Zelda game after the absurdly long wait for TotK just... sucks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom