• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

ibyea

Banned
I played the demo and holy cow it's freaking hard. Obviously it was to compensate for the checkpoint, but still! It's really good though.

Man, it's been ages since I went full Touhou for a day. Brings back fond memories. 5 best things to come from the new games:

#5 -
Satori
featuring in Koishi's ending. When it comes to the no.1 character, I'll take anything I can get.

#4 - Ringo boss fight. Good ol' fashioned intensive bullet dodging without frills / gimmicks, coupled with a funky boss theme. Shame about her fashion sense, but you can't win 'em all.

#3 - Sumireko. We Psychic Force now. Really like her character concept, and with her design, theme and fighting style thrown in she's a winner. Worthy followup to Kokoro.

#2 - All of the occult stuff in ULiL. I skipped the demo and knew basically nothing about the game, so discovering the horror story manifestations and seeing them for the first time was amazing. Slit-Mouthed Kokoro and Koishi-san's Call in particular nearly killed me.

#1 - Pointdevice mode. The fear of having to restart from stage 1 is probably the biggest barrier to me playing at my best a lot of the time. I annoy myself when I bomb spam through the final boss, just because it'd be 'safer' to play conservatively rather than take risks and jeopardise the 1cc. Now I have a way to go all out without having that worry hanging over me. The game will be beaten properly. EVERY CARD WILL BE CAPTURED.

Definitely feeling better about the LoLK demo than I did about TD/DDC's.

Evilisk

So basically the new game mode for touhou 15 is basically like Super Meat Boy. You only have one life but you can restart at the frequent checkpoints indefinitely. Your score is rewound to the last checkpoint if you restart at that checkpoint. You don't get extra bombs on death (you will have whatever you had when you first arrived at the checkpoint) so if you ran out of bombs at the start of a boss fight you would have no bombs to use for that entire battle no matter how many resets you use up. Every new boss bullet pattern is a checkpoint in itself so you don't have to fight all the spellcards from the beginning if you die.

Sounds easy so far?

Well...
ZUN appear to decide to go crazy with the difficulty, now that death is less punishing. Many consider Lunatic level 3 to be as hard as past EX stages. Still, the good thing about fast restart is that you never felt discouraged. People might died 60 times to one spellcard, but everyone eventually figure a way out. I say the system is not easier, it just allows the players to improve faster. To be able to play the same spellcard over and over ago, with delay in mere seconds, means everyone can learn the tricks eventually. (Though how many total deaths is recorded in the highscores.)

It seems that is ZUN's answer for how to balance difficulty with approachable design for newcomers. The game is as hard as ever, but you no longer need to be good to get better. Even newbies would be able to learn the ropes now.

Just another thing. ZUN clearly realised that the old arcade life system that kills the player and force them to restart from scratch (thus earning more coins) doesn't really suit home gaming. Many in the game industry already figured it out separately. The old game mode is still there it is just optional now.

New mode sounds cool. I never liked how 10-11 had infinite tries but reset you from the start of the level and I always found it hard to use practice because you'd lose so much power if you lost a life (and that'd make it harder to finish a spellcard). Also doesn't help you had to actually beat a level first to unlock it in practice

Also someone's uploaded most of the new character arranges from TH14.5 in case anyone wants to listen to them.
I actually don't like most of them so far tbh though Koishi's is sounding really great so far

Zweizer

Banned
a1lklET.jpg

Fans are going crazy over the possible connections between the two.

Zweizer

Banned
It's definitely not a coincidence, considering that their names are nearly identical, even sharing the same last name (Usami Sumireko (宇佐見 菫子) and Usami Renko (宇佐見 蓮子), so they're most probably related), and that the former is explicitely stated as being the first president of the Sealing Club.

The exact relation between the two is still subject to speculation though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Personally I'm guessing Sumireko is that strange aunt Renko's parents tell her to avoid who tells Renko stories about Gensoukyou and her Sealing Club and the like and incites her curiosity in the occult and Gensoukyou.

Also she may very well be the "connection [Merry] don't know" from Ghostly Field Club. The one who gave her pictures of the Netherworld and the like.

woopWOOP

So what's with the weird blob-head forms of each character? They seem to appear in about every nicovideo playthrough of any game instead of a regular human narrator.

So yeah, I figured it was a highly popular franchise in Japan, but I never really knew anything about the characters or games themselves. So thanks for the writeup/video links LeleSocho! (also that Tom & Jerry animation is super rad)

demidar

So what's with the weird blob-head forms of each character? They seem to appear in about every nicovideo playthrough of any game instead of a regular human narrator.

So yeah, I figured it was a highly popular franchise in Japan, but I never really knew anything about the characters or games themselves. So thanks for the writeup/video links LeleSocho! (also that Tom & Jerry animation is super rad)

You talking about yukkuris?

They're an, uhh, weird thing. You can read about them in the link.

woopWOOP

You talking about yukkuris?

They're an, uhh, weird thing. You can read about them in the link.
Yeah, those are the ones. So basically they're 'bad' ACII art (Shift_JIS, whatever) redrawn and it took off from there. That's pretty neat/funny and also explains why Reimu looks a little off.

That whole section about reproduction tho... lol.

So the LLK is a much harder game, but it makes up for it by having a mode that gives you infinite retries as long as you pass the chapter.

A part of me wonders if the secret plan for Legacy of the Lunatic Kingdom was for ZUN to force the less skillful vets to start "gittin gud"...such as myself. A stubborn part of me wants to focus on Legacy mode even though it's pretty much the new hardest Touhou game from what we've seen. It's almost like fighting against an emasculating experience. Illogical in many ways, but damn it I want to prove to ZUN that I CAN gitgud!

And yet, I've been having more fun with this than DDC, which (ironically with my OT and such) took a long time to grab me in any sort of way. I'm feeling some of that old Touhou vigor I used to have a few years ago between UFO and TD when I first started playing the games.

REALLY hope this one also makes it to Playism in a timely fashion (and it's too much to wish for but MAYBE ZUN and them will be able to work out a better localization for the westerners).

Also, you gotta love how fast the fan community is with art and music.

I never unlocked Kokoro in HM (didn’t warm to the game), but she’s a really fun character in ULiL. If I was into fighters and planned on spending any real length of time with the multiplayer then she’d likely be my main. Her moveset aside, she’s one of my favourite Touhous with an absolutely top tier design, which the art really does justice to.

I'm enjoying 14.5's portrait art way too much. I've gotta hand it to her, Harukawa Moe did a really great job on these
IIRC images linked from danbooru won’t show up to other people unless they’ve visited the page / have the images cached themselves.

I completely agree though. I went back to check HM recently and the difference is night and day. The characterisation really shines through in her expressive art, never mind the general improvement in quality.

Evilisk

I find it very elegant and appropriate myself. Kokoro is love~♡

I always thought it was a really busy design, even for ZUN's standards. There's the patterned shirt, the different shape buttons, the skirt AND the flying masks. And then there's nothing that really makes her silhouette stand out (Tenshi's got the hat, Suika's got the horns). Even the newest fighting boss' silhouette was fairly distinct despite there already being a cape character. That said, I've always like her naginata and her attacks, and that's honestly all I want out of a fighter introduced character so it's not a big problem.

IIRC images linked from danbooru won’t show up to other people unless they’ve visited the page / have the images cached themselves.

Huh, I always got confused about that (since sometimes they'd be just fine and sometimes not). Here are the pictures that were supposed to show up

Zweizer

Banned
her skirt is a pumpkin

like cmooon

I'm just joshin' ya <3

I always thought it was a really busy design, even for ZUN's standards. There's the patterned shirt, the different shape buttons, the skirt AND the flying masks. And then there's nothing that really makes her silhouette stand out (Tenshi's got the hat, Suika's got the horns). Even the newest fighting boss' silhouette was fairly distinct despite there already being a cape character. That said, I've always like her naginata and her attacks, and that's honestly all I want out of a fighter introduced character so it's not a big problem.

Her skirt is her distinct characteristic!

Evilisk

Her skirt is her distinct characteristic!

I like the skirt. I just wish ZUN designed around the skirt instead of throwing on all of these busy details onto the character along with the skirt. But whatever it's fine, she's still a fun character to play and she's got an actual character arc so it's all cool

Also I just saw these fakes and they're pretty cool. Seiga looks the most convincing imo; Aya's sprite looks too detailed for HM/ULIL's art style and the Prismriver just looks really obvious and inconsistent.

Dang it I really hope that they do a UNL style update for ULIL and that they add Seiga with Yoshika meat shield.

Zweizer

Banned
Alright, finally got around to unlocking Sumireko. She's got some pretty ridiculous combos going lol

ULiL is a pretty fun game. Much better than HM that's for sure, even if ultimately I don't find it as good as Hisoutensoku (mainly due to less tight controls courtesy of the floating mechanic).

cuc

Playism has started a poll:
http://playism-games.com/article/touhou-derivatives-what-would-you-like-to-see

Which Touhou Derivative title do you want to see released in the West?

New Super Marisa Land (&#39764;&#29702;&#27801;&#12392;6&#12388;&#12398;&#12461;&#12494;&#12467; lit. "Marisa and the 6 Mushrooms") [link]

Urban Legend in Limbo (&#26481;&#26041;&#28145;&#31192;&#37682; lit. "Eastern Record of Deep Mysteries") [link]

The Nightmare of Rebellion (&#26481;&#26041;&#29572;&#22818;&#22934;&#35674; lit. "Eastern Mysterious Dream Youkai Talk") [link]

Scarlet Symphony (&#32005;&#39764;&#22478;&#20253;&#35500; &#32203;&#33394;&#12398;&#20132;&#38911;&#26354; lit. "Legend of Scarlet Devil Castle: Scarlet Symphony". AKA "Touhouvania") [link]

Touhou Sky Arena (&#26481;&#26041;&#12473;&#12459;&#12452;&#12450;&#12522;&#12540;&#12490;) [link]

Adventures of Scarlet Curiosity (&#26481;&#26041;&#32005;&#36637;&#24515;) [link]

Other [fill in the name]

The Japanese side of Playism has already published Scarlet Curiosity and The Nightmare of Rebellion.

cuc

They translated Takkoman, the game they released on the same day as DDC.

As mentioned in this thread, they (Active Gaming Media) are a game localization company. In normal cases, translation is simply what they do.

Zweizer

Banned
They translated Takkoman, the game they released on the same day as DDC.

As mentioned in this thread, they (Active Gaming Media) are a game localization company. In normal cases, translation is simply what they do.

Oh, right. Forgot about Takkoman.

Well, I casted my vote, but going from the poll I guess we're not gonna see a localized Touhou RPG anytime soon.

Playism has started a poll:
http://playism-games.com/article/touhou-derivatives-what-would-you-like-to-see

The Japanese side of Playism has already published Scarlet Curiosity and The Nightmare of Rebellion.
Hmm. Difficult to vote in this one without being 100% sure on what their intentions are with translations. Not sure whether ZUN&#8217;s presumed restrictions just apply to the official games he&#8217;s developed, or whether it includes the Tasofro fighters as well.

New Super Marisa Land and Touhouvania 1 were both enjoyable and wouldn't really be affected by a translation either way. If you held a mini-hakkero to my head I&#8217;d pick NSML of the two, because it was meatier and I've never found myself wanting to replay Touhouvania.

Nightmare of Rebellion I don&#8217;t know a great deal about (and I can&#8217;t really look it up at work), but if it&#8217;s JRPG styled as the screens suggest then I&#8217;d need a guarantee about the translation before I&#8217;d be interested in it. Even then it likely wouldn't be high up my list of choices.

Sky Arena is also a slight unknown (again, can&#8217;t look up any gameplay right now) but I&#8217;m assuming it&#8217;s a VS shooter/fighter hybrid. I only tend to enjoy those if the quality&#8217;s high enough, like the glorious Senko no Ronde.

I&#8217;m really loving ULiL right now thanks to the occult theme and its improved gameplay over HM. It&#8217;d probably be my preferred choice, particularly if it was translated.

As for &#8216;Other&#8217; possibilities, Mystical Chain, MegaMari or SWR/UNL immediately spring to mind. The first two wouldn&#8217;t need a translation, while SWR/UNL would obviously benefit from having the story done.

Voted for ULiL and NSML in the end, since you can pick multiples.

Zweizer

Banned
Sky Arena is also a slight unknown (again, can’t look up any gameplay right now) but I’m assuming it’s a VS shooter/fighter hybrid. I only tend to enjoy those if the quality’s high enough, like the glorious Senko no Ronde.

Sky Arena is closer to the DBZ 3D fighter games (think Xenoverse) than Senko no Ronde. It looks a bit rough, even if the gameplay seems fun.

HGH

Banned
As for ‘Other’ possibilities, Mystical Chain, MegaMari or SWR/UNL immediately spring to mind. The first two wouldn’t need a translation, while SWR/UNL would obviously benefit from having the story done.

Voted for ULiL and NSML in the end, since you can pick multiples.
We need to get all of Lionheart's catalogue on there ASAP, especially Tempest of Heaven and Earth and Mystical Chain. Those games are sooo good.

cuc

cuc

They added 3 more options:
Gensou Ningyou Enbu (&#24187;&#24819;&#20154;&#24418;&#28436;&#33310; lit. "Fantasy Puppet Dance Performance") AKA. Touhou Puppet Dance Performance [link]

MegaMari - Marisa no Yabou (MegaMari - &#39764;&#29702;&#27801;&#12398;&#37326;&#26395; lit. "Marisa's Ambition") [link]

Touhou Hisoutensoku ~ Choudokyuu Ginyoru no Nazo o Oe (&#26481;&#26041;&#38750;&#24819;&#22825;&#21063;&#12288;&#65374;&#12288;&#36229;&#24361;&#32026;&#12462;&#12491;&#12519;&#12523;&#12398;&#35598;&#12434;&#36861;&#12360; lit. "Lacking the Perception of the Natural Laws of the East ~ Chase the Enigma of the Gargantuan Guignol") [link]

So... uhhh... where/how do I actually buy these games?

I'm not particularly into scrolling shooters (and I still don't really understand what the series is about), but I'm on summer vacation and have some free time. The OP recommends Perfect Cherry Blossom to people who only intend to play one game, so that's the one I"d like to get, but I don't actually understand how...

demidar

They added 3 more options:

Did they reset the polls after adding more options? Seems kinda dumb if they don't since it skews votes to earlier entries.

Not that it matters too much. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

So... uhhh... where/how do I actually buy these games?

I'm not particularly into scrolling shooters (and I still don't really understand what the series is about), but I'm on summer vacation and have some free time. The OP recommends Perfect Cherry Blossom to people who only intend to play one game, so that's the one I"d like to get, but I don't actually understand how...

If you want to legit get them, you'll have to import them. If you don't, well you're on your own.

There's also Touhou 14 on Playism that you can download but afaik the current English patch doesn't work for it.

http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Buying_Stuff

Amazon (both US and JP) usually stock them too, but through third partie fulfilment rather than from Amazon's own warehouses. Personally I haven't had a problem with it and I got my stuff fine and on time.

shockdude

There's also Touhou 14 on Playism that you can download but afaik the current English patch doesn't work for it.
The current English patch (thcrap) actually added partial TH14 Playism support a couple days ago. If you want TH14 Playism in English, give thcrap a shot.

cuc

They haven't gotten tired of updating the poll midway...
Devil of Decline (&#26481;&#26041;&#24187;&#24819;&#39764;&#37682; lit. "Records of Fantasy Dream") [link]

Tenjou no Tempest (&#22825;&#22732;&#12398;&#12486;&#12531;&#12506;&#12473;&#12488; lit. "The Tempest of Heaven and Earth") [link]
Tenjou no Tempest is already available on Playism Japan.

HGH

Banned
And I won't care about any of it if they don't translate them. They've set an awful precedent for Touhou's launch. Disastrous doesn't even begin to describe it.
At least part of the blame should be on ZUN for being a paranoid who won't let anyone touch his material(even though he has close friends who know English).
Everything about the launch folder and the instructions? Yeah totally their fault.

Top Bottom