• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2017 |OT|

I'm happy for Martin, did it all by himself and lost a good minute due to an unavoidable crash. Hopefully Quickstep back him properly now that Kittel has gone.

Mimosa97

Sorry, I meant anti-British in a sporting sense.

I did root for Iceland against England in the Euro cup but just because England having a shite football team has become a meme at this point lol and yeah who doesn't love a fairytale story?

But that's about how far my " anti-britishness in a sporting sense " goes

France has two tours to prevent an Englishman becoming the outright greatest Tour de France rider of all time.

And they laughed at Brailsford in 2010.

Ruruja

France has two tours to prevent an Englishman becoming the outright greatest Tour de France rider of all time.

I don't think Froome will win a TdF again after this one (if he does end up winning it).

Mimosa97

We're not looking to prevent anyone from winning. If a british rider is the GOAT then so be it. Why would we care?

We've had foreigners winning the TDF since the inception of the race. At least we've got Bardet now who can compete with the best. For a long time we barely had any french rider in the top 10 lol

We're not looking to prevent anyone from winning. If a british rider is the GOAT then so be it. Why would we care?

We've had foreigners winning the TDF since the inception of the race. At least we've got Bardet now who can compete with the best. For a long time we barely had any french rider in the top 10 lol

at one point you had Voeckler as the hope of the nation

that was one crazy ass Tour

Joni

I'm happy for Martin, did it all by himself and lost a good minute due to an unavoidable crash. Hopefully Quickstep back him properly now that Kittel has gone.
They aren't interested in building a general classification team. It is too expensive. They are working on a limited budget compared to sky and bmc, and they have built a reputation around sprints and classics. That is the entire backbone of their staff as well.

kottila

Pinot must be gutted. A few years ago it was him.

He finished fourth in the Giro just two months ago. He can still win a tour. But it's good that there is such a breadth of frenchmen now, gives them a little more breathing room not being the sole hope of the entire country

Mimosa97

at one point you had Voeckler as the hope of the nation

that was one crazy ass Tour

Vockler is probably the most popular rider of the last decade but only because of his fighting spirit and that he never gave up. No one ever believed that he would be able to winn it all one day. He spent many days wearing the yellow jersey though. Those were the good days.

They aren't interested in building a general classification team. It is too expensive. They are working on a limited budget compared to sky and bmc, and they have built a reputation around sprints and classics. That is the entire backbone of their staff as well.

They have a bigger budget than Movistar and AG2R. Fair enough if that's their strategy but they aren't a poor team. They have lost their big sprinter and they have a GC rider who is flowering at last. I dunno if he is a Grand Tour winner but he's got a podium in him.

Joni

They have a bigger budget than Movistar and AG2R. Fair enough if that's their strategy but they aren't a poor team. They have lost their big sprinter and they have a GC rider who is flowering at last. I dunno if he is a Grand Tour winner but he's got a podium in him.

They have a budget that is slightly bigger than Movistar but like half of Sky; but if you look at how they spread it, you see no more room for a couple of people to really support Martin.

Addnan

Ready for 222.5km of zzzzzzzz tomorrow. Maybe a Greipel win at least, so that would be nice.

Happy to see Froome get another Tour, other teams need to up their shit. BMC spend a shit ton of money, as do Katusha and others. Time to learn to be efficient like Sky.

luchadork

i've been watching the tour for 20 years now.

you know shit is fucked up when the most intriguing story of the tour was whether one of froome's own team mates was gonna attack.

Fonds

I hope Froome loses somehow.

He seems like a bit of a wanker.

His media training was too effective I guess. He's always a bit too polite, a bit too politically correct, never makes unexpected remarks.
The only time he's ever surprised me was when he said Dumoulin better bring a lot of nappies if he wants to win the Tour next year.

It's why riders like Sagan and Phinney are a lot more likable. They are just themselves and they don't resort to standard answers during interviews like: "the legs felt good", "thanks to my team", "it's a long way to Paris"...

Ready for 222.5km of zzzzzzzz tomorrow. Maybe a Greipel win at least, so that would be nice.

Happy to see Froome get another Tour, other teams need to up their shit. BMC spend a shit ton of money, as do Katusha and others. Time to learn to be efficient like Sky.

Apparently Orica are finally going to try and win a stage tomorrow, they are targeting the breakaway now that the mountains are over.

His media training was too effective I guess. He's always a bit too polite, a bit too politically correct, never makes unexpected remarks.
The only time he's ever surprised me was when he said Dumoulin better bring a lot of nappies if he wants to win the Tour next year.

It's why riders like Sagan and Phinney are a lot more likable. They are just themselves and they don't resort to standard answers during interviews like: "the legs felt good", "thanks to my team", "it's a long way to Paris"...

I think he's naturally like that

Fonds

I think he's naturally like that

Or that... haha. Still though, it's just an uninspiring man to listen to.
His efforts on the bike speak for him, in part, but he'd be a remembered more if he showed a bit of character every now and then.

Also, Aussie cycling great Phil Anderson had a riding accident today and had to be airlifted to hospital. Not sure of his condition yet in terms of breaks etc... he's conscious.

anderson_phil_2.jpg

Or that... haha. Still though, it's just an uninspiring man to listen to.
His efforts on the bike speak for him, in part, but he'd be a remembered more if he showed a bit of character every now and then.

I've read his book, some of it anyway, he's just not that interesting a person. He's hard working, unassuming, non-confrontational, polite, mild of temper, a bit cold. His dad was a bit of a character so maybe it's a reaction against that but whatever the reason, my impression is that is who is he is. A gifted athlete but not a romantic, the antithesis of a Contador.

Just thinking about his demeanour in interviews is making me feel angry. I think some of it is due to being brought up in the post-colonies somehow.

Phil's alright. Broken left collar bone and all the ribs on the left hand side broken as well. The mullet didn't make it

This gap is going to blow out.The breakaway should get fun towards the end, no one is going to want to take EBH or even a slower Swift to the line.

teepo

no dumoulin in the vuelta. he's focusing on the itt wc which i can't blame him for. isn't froome riding the vuelta or will they be giving it to landa? if it's the former, nibali is our only hope though dumoulin is the hero we need

no dumoulin in the vuelta. he's focusing on the itt wc which i can't blame him for. isn't froome riding the vuelta or will they be giving it to landa? if it's the former, nibali is our only hope though dumoulin is the hero we need

Would they give it to Landa if he's leaving?

Addnan

Kiryienka is on now. Martin, Roglic, Castroviejo and the GC guys are probably the ones worth keeping an eye on. Probably missed one or two.

Addnan

Could be just the sand paper staining the white shorts. He seems to have something there every time, so unless he shits himself every time, don't know. One time he was bleeding from the sandpaper onto white shorts...

Top Bottom