• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys ‘R’ Us Is Planning Bankruptcy Filing as Soon as Today

jstripes

Banned
Most generally start out as the former category, but often end up in the latter.

The big toy manufacturers/creditors like Hasbro and Mattel have a big incentive to keep Toys R Us around, at least for this holiday season, so if they end up liquidating, it probably won't be until 2018.

Absolutely. All the holiday orders would have been put in place months ago, and and production runs would be underway and/or scheduled. If T'R'U were to suddenly go out of business, which they won't, it'd be a massive, destabilizing blow to those companies.

Clockwork

To be honest I have never been a fan. It always seemed like you could find a better deal elsewhere for the same item and this is going back all the way to the 80's.

TyrantII

I'm surprised Sears and Toys R Us have made it this long.

Would have made it a lot farther of Bain Capital/Mitt Romney ('s company) didn't aquire it and rape it to death.

Legally transferring money from a public company to private coffers is what a whole division of Bain specializes in. Parasitic Capitalism, and it's all perfectly legal because DC looks the other way.

Not that it is not a tough climate for retail, but being forced to move out money to Bains clients and taking on huge loans to do so is throwing a swimming person a stone.

starmud

IMO, amazon should buy them for a song and a dance. The company represents such a large chunk of sales for the toy companies that it gives them a ton of leverage to command the space. It's the only showroom retailer left for the industry/specifically aimed at children and the stores are large enough to use as pick up sites/ship from store/event operations.

with grocery stores, book stores and probably apparel to follow, why not at this point.

shira

My bet is that he/she is currently a US Government employee.

But that would mean. . .
axe_laugh.gif
axe_laugh.gif
axe_laugh.gif

Really unfortunate. I've bought a lot of stuff from them. Can get the occasional clearance stuff as well.

This will hurt a lot more niche toy lines that wouldn't show up at Walmart or Target.

I really fear for World of Nintendo. Toys R Us gave them a full section in the games department.

TyrantII

I heard this has to do with Bain Capital pulling profit out of the company, and not underperformance of the business. What a shame.

Not just profit but equity and debt as well.

They basically forced them to take out loans to pay Bain and Bains Investors, using Toys R Us and it's brands / properties as collateral.

BriGuy

I haven't been in a Toys R Us in more than a decade, but this is still sad. So many memories tied to that place. The shelves full of Boglins and My Pet Monster, Transformers and TMNT... and that glorious, glorious video game aisle with all the slips of paper to take up front. It was crushing finding the empty plastic sleeve of that game you were dying to get, but when it was there, oh boy. I hope I flash back to that in my senility so I can die with a smile on my face.

IMO, amazon should buy them for a song and a dance. The company represents such a large chunk of sales for the toy companies that it gives them a ton of leverage to command the space. It's the only showroom retailer left for the industry/specifically aimed at children and the stores are large enough to use as pick up sites/ship from store/event operations.

with grocery stores, book stores and probably apparel to follow, why not at this point.

10+ years ago Amazon handled all of Toys R Us' online presence, before TRU decided to handle it all themselves, to pretty mixed results.

Retro

My fiancée just got a job there.

This has been a great week.

I mean, I dunno what you expected, but that was never gonna be a permanent position no matter what they say. At some point in Oct or Nov they'll have her sign a paper that waives her rights to full-time benefits even if she's working full-time hours (or get terminated if she doesn't), then shit-can her after New Years, maybe spring inventory at best.

Saganator

Sucks 😞. I remember when I was a kid, Toys R Us was *the* place to go for NES and SNES games. They had like an entire aisle.

Snaku

Banned
I haven't been in a Toys R Us in more than a decade, but this is still sad. So many memories tied to that place. The shelves full of Boglins and My Pet Monster, Transformers and TMNT... and that glorious, glorious video game aisle with all the slips of paper to take up front. It was crushing finding the empty plastic sleeve of that game you were dying to get, but when it was there, oh boy. I hope I flash back to that in my senility so I can die with a smile on my face.

Hell yeah, each one of those paper slips was like a Wonka golden ticket.

Knowing how these things go, they'll probably file Chapter 11, limp along for a few years with fewer stores (and perhaps scaling back or eliminating the Babies R Us stuff), and eventually they'll still be forced to liquidate.

That'd do more harm than good. At the two TRU stores I worked at the baby stuff is what made up most of the sales outside of the holiday season.

Mollymauk

I took a stroll to one last week, and it was in disarray. They had an iPad Air 2 listed for $499. That's like $170 more than msrp for the current gen iPad. It was a mess.

Top Bottom