• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys "R" Us to "[take] a leadership position on the launch of Wii"

Game-Biz

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Toy retailer Toys "R" Us has unveiled its "hot toy" list for the upcoming holiday season, and this year it includes a video game console for the first time -- Nintendo Co. Ltd.'s Wii.

Wii's inclusion in the list comes as electronics play an increasingly prominent role in children's toys.

Other hot toys chosen by Toys "R" Us include Fisher-Price's digital camera for children ages 3-years-old and up, and Hasbro's Inc.'s Designer's World, a plug-and-play TV game from its Tiger Games division that lets girls design their own fashion line.

Nintendo's Wii will make its U.S. debut on November 19 in what is expected to be a hot holiday season for video game consoles, with Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3 slated to hit U.S. stores November 17.

But Nintendo, with its "Donkey Kong," "Mario Brothers" and "Pokemon" game franchises, has found success with a younger audience.

"The PlayStation 3 is really geared to a savvy gaming enthusiast," said Kathleen Waugh, a spokeswoman for Toys "R" Us, of the decision to add the Wii to the list. "The Wii system appeals to young kids as well as adults."

The Wii, priced at $250, features a motion-sensing controller that operates like a television remote control and lets players simulate swinging a bat, sword or tennis racquet.

Waugh said one of Toys "R" Us' criteria of adding an item to its hot list is knowing it will have sufficient stock of the item for the holiday season, and she said that Toys "R" Us was able to ensure that by "taking a leadership position on the launch of Wii."
http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.asp?feed=OBR&Date=20060926&ID=6052311

Good news for Nintendo, I guess.

thirty

Banned
ugh. if they are positioning this as the machine for EVERYONE then why hand this off to TRU? Target or best buy. Target or best buy. Soccer moms dont go to TRU unless jimmy wants something. Target would have been perfect.

Xdrive05

No suprise for me. Nintendo let my store manager play a Wii at some Toys R Us vendor's convention about a month ago. She played Wii Sports, and she couldn't even pronounce "Wii" correctly. She kept calling it "Why" instead.

So someone like me doesn't get to play the Wii this early, while my store director does, and she doesn't even care about games that much.

And this is why there is no god, kids.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
thirty said:
ugh. if they are positioning this as the machine for EVERYONE then why hand this off to TRU? Target or best buy. Target or best buy. Soccer moms dont go to TRU unless jimmy wants something. Target would have been perfect.

Uh- this is TRU decision, not Nintendo's. I don't see anything negative coming out of it.

explodet

thirty said:
ugh. if they are positioning this as the machine for EVERYONE then why hand this off to TRU?
This sounds more like a move TRU is making rather than Nintendo. They just want to get in on the ground floor if the Wii really does take off.

They'll probably screw it up somehow, though.

Shawn

Banned
Hm. I had thought Toys "R" Us had gone out of business. Well, at least the ones near where I live did.

Raistlin

Slurpy said:
Uh- this is TRU decision, not Nintendo's. I don't see anything negative coming out of it.

We'll see what happens with allocations at launch.

If TRU does seem to get more than their share versus stuff like Target, etc. ... then Nintendo was obviously involved.

And in that case ... Nintendo's rhetoric about postioning this as a system for all rings about as true as it did for NGC.

thirty

Banned
think nintendo would just let some store say "HEY! we're the wii launch headquarters!" hiiighly doubt that. This sounds similar to the partnership MS had with best buy for the 360 launch IMO.

Nintendo has not a "kiddish" image because they are really. They look "kiddish", because the rest of the world has decided so: retailers and developers. Bah.

Lapsed

Banned
Wasn't there a story, or rather a leak, that talked about Toys R Us retailers being very impressed with the Wii? Something like Nintendo let them play with it and all?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Xdrive05 said:
No suprise for me. Nintendo let my store manager play a Wii at some Toys R Us vendor's convention about a month ago. She played Wii Sports, and she couldn't even pronounce "Wii" correctly. She kept calling it "Why" instead..

WTF? :lol

That defeats the whole purpose of Nintendo calling it "Wii"

Google

Xdrive05 said:
So someone like me doesn't get to play the Wii this early, while my store director does, and she doesn't even care about games that much.

I would imagine thats because you're a 17 year old who earns $6.50 per hour on a till, and she makes $80k a year running a store...

Jim

Also released this morning was the TRU Press Release. TRU listed the Wii as one of their "Top Fabulous 15 toys" for the Holidays.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060926/nytu042.html?.v=70

Following are the Toys "R" Us "Fabulous 15," representing the best new toys of the holiday season (listed in alphabetical order):

* Blue Man Group Percussion Tubes from ToyQuest
* Designer's World from Tiger Games
* Dora's Talking Cash Register from Fisher-Price
* ESPN Fast Action Football from Fisher-Price
* Kid-Tough Digital Camera from Fisher-Price
* Laugh & Learn Baby Grand Piano from Fisher-Price
* Mindstorms NXT from LEGO
* My Scene My Bling Bling Styling Head from Mattel
* Pink Nitro Notebook from VTech
* Power Rangers Deluxe Manticore Megazord from Bandai
* Speed Stacks StackPack from Play Along
* Sound City Railway from Imaginarium
* Tap Dancing Mumble from Thinkway
* "T.M.X." Elmo from Fisher-Price
* Wii from Nintendo

Wii from Nintendo
The evolution of videogames begins in November with the Nintendo Wii videogame console. Featuring a compact design that easily connects to any television, Wii is ready to become part of every family's home entertainment system. New, intuitive controls challenge everyone to compete in any game through physical motion. And, as an added bonus, the system is backwards compatible with Nintendo GameCube and offers players downloadable access to 20 years of favorite titles originally released for Nintendo 64, Super Nintendo and the original Nintendo Entertainment System. This item will be available beginning November 19. No batteries required.
Ages 5 and up.

Link

The Autumn Wind
RyuHayate said:
What a way to shake their image : /
Obviously, it would be in Nintendo's best interest to demand TRU remove the Wii from their holiday recommendation list. That'll show 'em. Who wants kids playing videogames anyway?

Xdrive05

Google said:
I would imagine thats because you're a 17 year old who earns $6.50 per hour on a till, and she makes $80k a year running a store...

Add four years and a dollar and you've got a point.

Besides, she doesn't sell the effing systems. I do.

;-)

Jim said:
Also released this morning. TRU listed the Wii as one of their "Top Fabulous 15 toys" for the Holidays.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060926/nytu042.html?.v=70

I'm a little confused here. Isn't that what this thread is about in the first place?

And then with other people implying Nintendo did somethnig wrong by letting Toys R Us put the Wii on their holiday list instead of having Toys R Us put it on Best Buy or Target's holiday list (???) I feel like I'm reading something different than other people.

Jim

FitzOfRage said:
I'm a little confused here. Isn't that what this thread is about in the first place?

Yeah, what I posted above was the actual full Press Release FROM TRU, not the trimmed down Reuters story describing it. Just a bit more info on the same subject.

Branduil

RyuHayate said:
What a way to shake their image : /

igns-nintendo-wii-faq-20060919054631179.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
_PsiFire_ said:
I think, what they mean, is that you don't need to buy batteries right away.. The system comes with 2 AA's.
That would be "Batteries Included."

Game-Biz said:
It's official.

Do'h, I didn't see the IGN logo due to the size of the image.

There goes any chance of importing a Wii and having it slip past customs... I used to easily get away with Nintnedo systems in the past due to the somewhat "kiddy" nature of their packagings, I always assumed that the customs people would see it as a "toy" of some kind and let it go, but when something looks more of a "high tech consumer electronic" they rape you up the ass with import taxes, which happened with my DS Lite, and will probably happen with the Wii too.

Flakster99

Considering I purchased my original NES and SNES at Toys R Us back in the day, I say good for Nintendo. Familiar grounds and all that.

Ecrofirt

I got my GC at Toys R Us on launch day, and I'd imagine that if they're not doing shitty bundles on it, I'll be doing the same thing.

Very good news. If TRU can really push the Wii. They could have very nice kiosk areas put in place for the system, which is going to be very important to the console's success. A small venue like a Gamestop will have a harder time creating space for a Wii kiosk, and the physical movement that will go along with it.

I used to love running into TRU and grabbing the little cards from the latest NES games, which then went up to the counter, where I'd get to run and pick up my new game from the little window. Definitely good times.

atomsk

Party Pooper
TRU was the most mismanaged company i ever worked for. i imagine they'll find some way to **** this up.

that said, we did sell a lot of Xavix systems cause we had them on display...

RyuHayate

Link said:
Obviously, it would be in Nintendo's best interest to demand TRU remove the Wii from their holiday recommendation list. That'll show 'em. Who wants kids playing videogames anyway?

That's most definitely not what I meant. If I were to say children shouldn't have the right to play video games, I would be a cold hearted, self-loathing son of a bitch who doesn't deserve to breathe. Hell, I'm angry at myself by looking like such a jerk, even if it wasn't intentional.

I'll admit it: I didn't look over the facts first. I hadn't realized that it was Toys 'R Us that wanted the Wii to take the leadership position of the Wii launch, not Nintendo. Assuming this was the case, I was a bit confused as to why Nintendo would make the decision for a toy centric store to launch its console if their main target is everybody.

Mar

Chris Remo said:
Adults who are Mature settle for nothing less than bloody games.

Heh. Yeah, this always gets me. Apparantly mature means we should be ripping the heads off our enemies and drinking their blood. Because, you know, mature people don't care for gameplay, just give us the red stuff!

In regards to the topic. I'm getting closer to putting that pre-order down at TRU. As us Australians supposedly get a free game with our pre-order... But I'm still wary. I just know on the day they'll force me to take Cars or Spongebob instead of an actual game that I'm interested in.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
They're saying that not only will the Wii get prime positioning, the PS3 will not.

I'd say it's just a little significant.

Xdrive05

PantherLotus said:
They're saying that not only will the Wii get prime positioning, the PS3 will not.

I'd say it's just a little significant.

True, but as they pointed out, the PS3 isn't really the kind of thing they focus on anyway (highest end consumer electronics/savvy gaming enthusiast). Toys' general focus is geared more toward the Wii's demographics.

Or let's be more honest and say Wii's price-range and potential market appeal.

Or even more honest and say
teh kiddie

DrLazy

PS2 actually was really popular with kids because it was cheap and had a pretty good alotment of games parents could approve. PS3 could be in real trouble in the young 0-12 demographic with its pricetag and expectation of $60 games (like Xbox 360).

Cheerilee

The Wii, priced at $250, features a motion-sensing controller that operates like a television remote control and lets players simulate swinging a bat, sword or tennis racquet.
The Wiimote doesn't operate like a TV remote control. It doesn't have nearly enough buttons to do that, because non-gamers are afraid of buttons.

ruby_onix said:
The Wiimote doesn't operate like a TV remote control. It doesn't have nearly enough buttons to do that, because non-gamers are afraid of buttons.

The funny thing is, that if you count all the buttons on the wiimote/nunchuck compared to the Gamecube controller...

Wiimote/Nunchuk = 6 buttons

Cube Controller = 7 buttons

If you want to get technical with the + and - buttons and the "home" buttons, the Wiimote/Nunchuk actually has more buttons.

The Good: More publicity = More folks get to see what the Wii is all about.

The Bad: Nintendo hardly needs more labeling as a "toy" or otherwise children's object.

relyt9

KyanMehwulfe said:
The Good: More publicity = More folks get to see what the Wii is all about.

The Bad: Nintendo hardly needs more labeling as a "toy" or otherwise children's object.

I think that's what they are going for... They want the system to appeal to everyone, and I think that TRU has the best chance of reaching to everyone.

It can't be a bad thing to be advertised well in Toys R Us. It's not like the market people are saying will be put off are even going to be aware of it.

Deku

Banned
Wait I'm confused. Is this good or bad or is it just the spin causing the confusion?

Being promoted preferentially by a retailer is the dream of many manufacturers. Granted this appears to be Toys R Us own strategic choice with perhaps some incentives (dollars and units) from Nintendo, there's nothing negative I can see from this.

Nintendo has enough units to spread around at launch anyways.

papercut

The Toys R Us in Times Square, NYC is huge and sees TONS of traffic. During the holidays it's almost impossible to walk down that street. The games section is larger than most video game retailers has lots of kiosks and large wall sections devoted to multiplayer games. A large Wii presence there will be a very, very good thing for Nintendo.

Top Bottom