• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys "R" Us to "[take] a leadership position on the launch of Wii"

----

Banned
Chris Remo said:
Adults who are Mature settle for nothing less than bloody games.
Who said anything about adult gamers being "mature" or even educated for that matter? People are so used to the same old arguments that they just turn off their brains and go into this automatic computerized defense mode. All I'm saying is cartoons and kid safe content are usually not used to attract adults to a product. Whether that makes people mature or not is a different discussion. If Nintendo games are "mature" then Nintendo is doing a horrible marketing job by allowing 90% of the games on their consoles to feature cartoon characters. Are Mii characters meant to grab the attention and interest of adults? The games may be fun for everyone, but the content is obviously manufactured to attract children. Joe Camel wasn't created to attract adults to cigarettes.

I have to say it a million times cause fans are extra sensitive on this issue, but I'm not saying adults don't enjoy Nintendo games. This is a marketing critique. Most adults without children aren't even going to take notice of a product that features the content we've seen on Wii, let alone buy it, take it home, play all the games and realize that it has enough depth and complexity to be appropriate entertainment for their age. We know what visual and contextual things grab the attention of adults when marketing or selling a product in America. If they're seriously attempting to market this product for adults (I honestly don't believe they are) then they're doing a terrible job with the content they are featuring. Third parties tend not to release any games with blood/gore, sexual content, bad language, or drug use on Nintendo consoles, while Playstation, Xbox and PC are loaded with this type of content. So Nintendo's consoles are at the very least the most kid safe. The only semi-adult game they've highlighted so far is Red Steel and it seems very tame compared to most of the adult content on PS3/PC/Xbox. It's not even a bad strategy for Nintendo to continue to focus on creating content that is appealing and safe for kids when you look at a system like Xbox 360 which is almost completely devoid of anything that is safe or appealing to kids. Microsoft's strategy to appeal to kids is just as poor as Nintendo's is to appeal to adults.

Let's change the classic argument from "Nintendo games are kiddy" to "Nintendo games look kiddy." Nintendo games have always been solid and pretty well respected within hardcore gaming circles. The problem is that to grab the attention of adults outside of that circle you need to create some content that is going to engage them and demand their attention on a more immediate superficial level. Nintendo games are going to continue to get the kiddy label slapped on them so long as they superficially look like they are meant for kids. The majority of people who do the retail positioning, retail marketing, and even purchasing probably don't even play video games. The only way they can figure out who this stuff is really meant for is by looking at the name and pictures on the box.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Is there any point to your essay aside from telling us stuff we already know? I'm really not sure where you're going.

Toys R Us is a terrible store for launching consoles, they cater to the pre-order biatches and don't guarantee NORMAL people consoles

Link

The Autumn Wind
I remember TRU being one of the first places with N64 kiosks. Man how things have changed in 10 years.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
KyanMehwulfe said:
The Bad: Nintendo hardly needs more labeling as a "toy" or otherwise children's object.
Hate to break it to you, but even the big bad Xbox and PS2 were viewed as toys by most parents.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
gutter_trash said:
Toys R Us is a terrible store for launching consoles, they cater to the pre-order biatches and don't guarantee NORMAL people consoles
Funny...I've purchased every single console I have ever owned at TRU and I have never preordered or camped out. I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

I think with Wii Sports, it's hard to think of a specific target audience. I think that one actually caters more to adults than kids so it makes for an interesting pack-in. In general this launch line-up has a lot more games that cater to all audiences when compared to the GC launch.

Terrell

Despite the issue people seem to have with TRU, the big picture is missed here:

The more lists like this that Wii makes it to, the more likely it'll scoop up the prize of being the "hot ticket item" for the holiday season, much like the Xbox 360 last year... except that Nintendo actually has more units on shelves, so they can actually benefit from the distinction.

Terrell said:
Despite the issue people seem to have with TRU, the big picture is missed here:

The more lists like this that Wii makes it to, the more likely it'll scoop up the prize of being the "hot ticket item" for the holiday season, much like the Xbox 360 last year... except that Nintendo actually has more units on shelves, so they can actually benefit from the distinction.
that is true, you make a valid point, the Wii is on this and cnet.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This will also be going on at KB Toys, it was announced at the last company meeting. Low tier stores (like mine) will no longer sell any video games except for Nintendo products, mainly the Nintendo DS.

This will also be going on at KB Toys, it was announced at the last company meeting. Low tier stores (like mine) will no longer sell any video games except for Nintendo products, mainly the Nintendo DS.

I got both my N64 and GC at a Kay-Bee, while they always ridiculously overcharged when they thought they could get away with it it's been kind of sad to see the steep decline of their console gaming sections...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
A Black Falcon said:
I got both my N64 and GC at a Kay-Bee, while they always ridiculously overcharged when they thought they could get away with it it's been kind of sad to see the steep decline of their console gaming sections...

Well some stores stopped selling video games all together. I don't know if you remember, but there was a huge clearance sale at a lot of stores last year. Games like Donkey Konga were going for sub $20. I sold a brand new copy of Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for $5, and then they got 50% off FFTA, which made it like $2.50. Just insane stuff like that.

My store no longer gets games, we still have a few handhelds left over from early 06 though. Just some regular DS systems and a PSP. Thats it though.

There was just no way for KB to compete against other mall game stores like EBgames and Gamestop. Why pay $35 for a copy of Clock Tower 3 at KB when you can get it for $10 at Gamestop? The company was really bad at updating the prices of games. I remember The Bouncer was full price up until sometime around mid-05. Can you imagine anyone paying $50 for The Bouncer in 2005?! Exactly, thats why the copy was still sitting in the store.

We'll see how this only Nintendo thing will work out. At first it sounded dumb to me, but now I've learned to like the idea. Might be kinda nice to have a Nintendo-oriented section. Kinda like a mini-Nintendo store in every town...every town that still has a KB. :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
thirty said:
think nintendo would just let some store say "HEY! we're the wii launch headquarters!" hiiighly doubt that. This sounds similar to the partnership MS had with best buy for the 360 launch IMO.

seriously, learn to read

GDGF

Soothsayer
Works for me. I work at TRU, and now I have an excuse for rabidly pushing the Wii (aside from being a Nintendork, ofcourse)

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
GDGF said:
Works for me. I work at TRU, and now I have an excuse for rabidly pushing the Wii (aside from being a Nintendork, ofcourse)

I did a stint in an R Zone back when I was in college.

Hell, my first job ever was at Funcoland.

:lol man I've come a long way fast.

Link

The Autumn Wind
R Zone ruined my enjoyment of getting games at TRU. There was nothing like grabbing that ticket and redeeming it at that window at the front of the store. Now it's just like everywhere else. Where's the soul?

GDGF

Soothsayer
Link said:
R Zone ruined my enjoyment of getting games at TRU. There was nothing like grabbing that ticket and redeeming it at that window at the front of the store. Now it's just like everywhere else. Where's the soul?

We still do it the old way at my store, actually :)

ziran

Oct 5th 06

More positive expectations of Wii.

Reuters via Yahoo! News
Nintendo's Wii, TMX Elmo make 'Hot Dozen' toy list

By Nicole Maestri
Wed Oct 4, 2:02 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - High-priced, technology-infused toys -- like a miniature toy pony, a robotics toolset and Nintendo Co. Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii -- made the "Hot Dozen" list of must-have holiday toys released by Toy Wishes magazine on Wednesday.

The list is the magazine's annual forecast of which toys and entertainment products will emerge as the most popular for the holiday season -- and possibly also the hardest to find.

The list also includes a toy that is already flying off store shelves -- T.M.X. Elmo, which was unveiled last month by Mattel Inc.'s (NYSE:MAT - news) Fisher-Price division to mark the 10th anniversary of Tickle Me Elmo.

The new $39.99 Elmo is chock full of technology that has the red plush doll slapping its knee and falling over in a fit of laughter after it is tickled.

"At my wildest expectation, I didn't think it was going to be like this," said Jim Silver, editor-in-chief of Toy Wishes, of the hefty demand for the doll.

This year, the amount of time that toy companies have spent trying to figure out how to successfully marry technology and toys is on full display.

Hasbro Inc.'s (NYSE:HAS - news) Butterscotch, which also made the list, is an interactive, life-sized miniature toy pony that uses sensors to respond to touch and sound -- moving toward a child when its name is called or going to sleep when the lights are off. Butterscotch also comes with a hefty suggested selling price: $299.99.

Also on the list is Lego's Mindstorms NXT "robotics toolset" that lets children ages 10 and older build and program robots that do what they want. Its suggested retail price is $249.99.

Rounding out the $200 and over "toys" on the Toy Wishes list is Nintendo's Wii video game console, which is expected to sell for $250 when it hits stores in November.

"The toy industry is in transition from what we consider toys to family entertainment, and this falls under that category," Silver said of the Wii.

The Wii features a motion-sensing controller that operates like a television remote control and lets players simulate swinging a bat, sword or tennis racquet.

The "Hot Dozen" is not purely filled with high-tech toys. Both Barbie and Bratz fashion dolls return to the list after being omitted last year.

Also included is Magtastik -- a big, brightly colored magnetic construction play set by Mega Brands (Toronto:MB.TO - news).

This year's Hot Dozen in alphabetical order:

** Barbie and the 12 Dancing Princesses by Mattel
** Bratz Forever Diamondz by privately held MGA Entertainment
** Butterscotch My FurReal Friends Pony by Hasbro.
** Digi Makeover by Radica, which is now owned by Mattel.
** Fly Wheels XPV by Jakks Pacific Inc. (Nasdaq:JAKK - news)
** Kid Tough Digital Camera by Fisher-Price
** Lego Mindstorms NXT by Lego
** Magtastik by Mega Brands
** Monopoly Here & Now by Hasbro
** Speed Stacks StackPack by Jakks Pacific's Play Along
** T.M.X. Elmo by Fisher-Price.
** Wii by Nintendo.

Ristamar

Link said:

There are three Toys 'R Us stores within 30 minutes of my apartment. Two of them use the the old ticket system, one uses display cases. There's a fourth that's just a bit over 30 minutes away, and I think they use display cases, as well. It seems odd they don't have a universal method, but I like the old ticket system, too, so I hope they don't change.

ziran

castle007 said:
so, it is on the upperclass of "toys"???

how is that positive???
positive expectations ;)

...and i see no problem in wii being considered a toy if that's what you're getting at.

Top Bottom