• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TPC: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are 3DS exclusives, not due for Switch

We all fucked up.

"We all" as in the media and gaf

Gamefreak isn't gonna make a mainline/spinoff Pokemon game for Switch. They didn't for the hugely popular Wii, they didn't for the bigly popular Wii U. Why would they do it for the Switch..

RIP poke gaf. Best we're getting is Pokken or maybe a Pokemon Battle Revolution 2 or something like that lol

We all fucked up.

"We all" as in the media and gaf

Gamefreak isn't gonna make a mainline/spinoff Pokemon game for Switch. They didn't for the hugely popular Wii, they didn't for the bigly popular Wii U. Why would they do it for the Switch..

RIP poke gaf. Best we're getting is Pokken or maybe a Pokemon Battle Revolution 2 or something like that lol
Hope you're joking. Hard to tell in threads like this. Lol.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Sun and Moon have been datamined. The games keep track of what game a Pokemon was caught in, and there are only room for 4 Gen 7 games in the game's code.

Knowing that, I'm not sure why people are still holding out hope that the Eurogamer report was real. It was bullshit. Pokemon will probably eventually come to Switch, but not until Gen 8.

Wiped89

People need to stop saying 'oh but Stars might still exist'. NO. Stars was just a concept, a placeholder name for a third version. They have decided to go the Black 2/White 2 route and make two versions for the third version.

THIS IS STARS. THERE IS NO SWITCH VERSION AND NO MORE MAINLINE GAMES ARE GOING TO BE ANNOUNCED IN 2017.

13ruce

Banned
Sun and Moon have been datamined. The games keep track of what game a Pokemon was caught in, and there are only room for 4 Gen 7 games in the game's code.

Knowing that, I'm not sure why people are still holding out hope that the Eurogamer report was real. It was bullshit. Pokemon will probably eventually come to Switch, but not until Gen 8.

So the daimond and pearl remakes will be on the fking 3ds too:/ horrible.

aadiboy

At this point it's kind of sad that Eurogamer hasn't printed a retraction yet or even acknowledged that their sources were wrong. They are literally the biggest reason everyone was convinced the new games were coming to Switch. Kind of invalidates their credibility.

Well of course. The only way a Pokegame is getting on Switch is if it's built for it from the ground up. That's the only way you can properly market both the console and a new game without pissing off everyone.

The thing I always thought was strange about the Eurogamer rumor was that it seemed like their major justification for the existence of Stars was the HD Pikipek model. As far as I knew, I thought that GameFreak had been creating HD models of all Pokemon since the move to 3D models with X and Y as a way to future proof the models. Though they also said they had it sourced from multiple people, so who knows what to think!

Cytezan

Why didn't I see this coming..?

Still holding out for a switch version in the future, will not buy any more 3ds games - Pokemon Moon/Sun was already a laggy, aliased mess.

You know, I expected it not to come to Switch, despite how much I wanted it to. My beef now is the fact that its only been a year and we are getting the "3rd" version. Up until now it has been on 2 year cycles right? I can't imagine these 2 games being anywhere close to what BW2, Platinum, and Emerald were. Just doesn't seem possible for them to create an experience like with those games being that now they are working with full 3D visuals.

Maybe DP remakes are around the corner for Switch, followed by Gen 8.

Having to wait 2 1/2 years for a mainline Pokemon game on Nintendos hottest new hardware is nothing short of complete utter incompetence.

Just fucking port it, you dullards! Jesus. It would take almost nothing and make you so much money and earn you so much good will...

The Pokemon Company remains totally fucking clueless.

Chindogg

Just fucking port it, you dullards! Jesus. It would take almost nothing and make you so much money and earn you so much good will...

"Takes almost nothing"
"Good will"

All I need is something about "lazy devs" and I'll have a GAF tic tac toe.

Terrell

I think, if we're going to discount the "rumour" of Stars (if you can call it a rumour, since Eurogamer stood behind it so much that their article doesn't even classify it as one), we should actually read more than the highlights: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

And when you actually read the piece itself instead of the Cliff Notes version people are basing "Eurogamer RIP" posts on, this whole discourse seems premature. GAF needs to stop with the knee-jerk hot-takes without full information, it's getting absurd.

People need to stop saying 'oh but Stars might still exist'. NO. Stars was just a concept, a placeholder name for a third version. They have decided to go the Black 2/White 2 route and make two versions for the third version.

THIS IS STARS. THERE IS NO SWITCH VERSION AND NO MORE MAINLINE GAMES ARE GOING TO BE ANNOUNCED IN 2017.

The sources for the rumour didn't ambiguously suggest a 3rd version, they suggested a Switch version.
Plus, how do you explain this part of the Eurogamer rumour?

Eurogamer Pokemon Stars article said:
It may be some time before Stars releases, however. We heard the game was initially a summer 2017 launch for Nintendo Switch, but has since been pushed back to later in the year.

You honestly think that if the game discussed in the rumour was just 3DS Ultra Sun/Moon that a release less than a year apart from the original would even be entertained by Nintendo or Game Freak? Please resolve this inconsistency.

At this point it's kind of sad that Eurogamer hasn't printed a retraction yet or even acknowledged that their sources were wrong. They are literally the biggest reason everyone was convinced the new games were coming to Switch. Kind of invalidates their credibility.

There is nothing that indicates their sources were wrong yet, so why print a retraction? And more importantly, perhaps their sources are strong enough to give them ample reason not to.

The thing I always thought was strange about the Eurogamer rumor was that it seemed like their major justification for the existence of Stars was the HD Pikipek model.

They didn't make this up by extrapolating from an image, please read the Eurogamer piece again, they were told by inside sources that a Switch version was being made in no uncertain terms.

Oersted

I think, if we're going to discount the rumour of Stars, we should actually read more than the highlights: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-18-nintendo-switch-will-get-pokemon-sun-and-moon-version

And when you actually read the piece itself instead of the Cliff Notes version people are basing "Eurogamer RIP" posts on, this whole discourse seems premature. GAF needs to stop with the knee-jerk hot-takes without full information, it's getting absurd

That will never stop.

We have the MCVUK article, the Pokemon Company CEO, the Eurogamer report, the Masuda statement, the Game Freak recruitment ad...

Most people only read the Eurogamer headline. It is what it is.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm fine with 3DS (SO glad I don't sell my old game platforms and that low resolutions don't bother me one bit, seriously, I feel bad for anyone who doesn't feel the same way), but this is officially the death of the "third version," which the collector in me misses a lot. I love having a "definitive," version of each Pokemon gen and that just hasn't been a thing since gen 4. Every gen I kept hoping they'd come back but I guess this is officially it. I was really hoping this would just be Pokemon Stars and Sun/Moon with more content, not a "sequel," game that's one step backwards two steps forward.

Unless the rumors about another Switch game are true and that's just a single third version.

Why are Eurogamer suddenly being discredited over a Pokemon rumour? They've been consistent in practically every single Switch rumour they've published so far and they're not deemed unreliable because some of you are salty that Switch isn't getting a Pokemon RPG this year? Christ.

"Takes almost nothing"
"Good will"

All I need is something about "lazy devs" and I'll have a GAF tic tac toe.

Feel free to keep defending stupid business decisions, but using some of the resources devoted to making two additional 3DS versions to instead make a Switch version, perhaps alongside a single 3DS version, would make this guaranteed profitable venture only moderately more expensive in development costs. And whatever cost would be offset by the, I'm sure, tremendous sales on Switch. This shouldn't guarantee a venture like that is taken, of course, but seeing as how the Game Freak Pokemon series is a Nintendo exclusive, there would be the additional motivation to help push Switch sales (and before someone says it's selling faster than they can make it, let's not act like hardware manufacturers don't want popular games for their system, regardless of how it's already selling).

And yes, it would absolutely help the perception of the Pokemon brand, especially among all the adults who, say, rekindled their interest through Pokemon Go but didn't buy back into a Nintendo console/handheld until the Switch.

Give me a break, man. Stop pedantically mocking semantics and start making the point as to why this is a good thing.

plufim

I'm old enough to remember this same dance when pokemon co supported GBA rather than DS in year one, DS rather than 3DS and 3DS now rather than switch. They always wait for the install base to be where they want it before they support a new system.

And every time people get mad. But sales always prove this to be the right move.

Edit re the above, pokemon is an annual (ish) series. By the time the switch install base is at the 20+ million that the series sells, it'll be time for the next one.

giphy.gif

Fans really need to learn more about game development.
"Just take the code and put it in the new thing and upload it to the mainframe. Right click uprez. Do it! I want it now!"

Ya'll gotta chill.

KingBroly

Banned
Why are Eurogamer suddenly being discredited over a Pokemon rumour? They've been consistent in practically every single Switch rumour they've published so far and they're not deemed unreliable because some of you are salty that Switch isn't getting a Pokemon RPG this year? Christ.

They've also said Mother 3 would hit VC and Smash would hit Switch. So...they're not very good on game rumors

Jimm

I'm old enough to remember this same dance when pokemon co supported GBA rather than DS in year one, DS rather than 3DS and 3DS now rather than switch. They always wait for the install base to be where they want it before they support a new system.

And every time people get mad. But sales always prove this to be the right move.

Exactly. It's really no suprise. Black and White 2 released WAY after the 3DS was already out. I'm sure the next Pokemon game will be on Switch and will be fantastic.

tolkir

Lol, its Nintendo rumours are bullshit. Only the Ubisoft leaks are true (Switch specifications and design included).
Keep waiting that SNES mini.

Btw, they didn't say that it was a rumour. It was 100% true for them.

plufim

Lol, its Nintendo rumours are bullshit. Only the Ubisoft leaks are true (Switch specifications and design included).

Keep waiting that SNES mini.
Indeed. Ubisoft leaks like a seive. It's practically one of their core competencies.

Aleh

So the daimond and pearl remakes will be on the fking 3ds too:/ horrible.
I thought people would stop thinking this after today's announcement...
No, DPP Remakes aren't happening till after gen 8, on Switch. This we can basically be sure of.

Macka

People realize that Stars was nothing more than a codename, right?

I think it was even referred to as 'Project Stars' at some point by the leak, no?

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon most likely are Stars.

They didn't make this up by extrapolating from an image, please read the Eurogamer piece again, they were told by inside sources that a Switch version was being made in no uncertain terms.
I said at the end of my post that regardless of the significance of the HD model, Eurogamer still had multiple sources backing the existence of the game up...

One thing I'm interested in would be, if Eurogamer's sources were valid, why didn't they leak the existence of these games as well? Is it because having a Switch version of Sun and Moon is just a flashier headline? Is it something in the nature of game development that the sources would know of work on a Switch game but not new 3DS games? I'm pretty sure GameFreak has two different Pokemon teams, so that would make sense.

Edit re the above, pokemon is an annual (ish) series. By the time the switch install base is at the 20+ million that the series sells, it'll be time for the next one.

It's not the right move. Platforms can live and die on the games they have available. If everyone did it backwards the GF way, nobody would buy a Switch.

Good thing Nintendo didn't pull...well, a Nintendo and had Zelda remain a Wii U exclusive.

Caelus

People realize that Stars was nothing more than a codename, right?

I think it was even referred to as 'Project Stars' at some point by the leak, no?

Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon most likely are Stars.

That's not really the point. We know the name of the new version(s) would've been different, whether it be Eclipse or Ultra Sun/Moon or whatever, people just wanted it on Switch.

BuggyMike

Switch already has an insane line-up this year. We can't get everything in one year, that'd just be bad for Nintendo. Saving Smash and Pokemon "Stars" For 2018 will surely keep Nintendo's momentum going into the next year.

Top Bottom