• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TPC: Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are 3DS exclusives, not due for Switch

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
3020118-5562455887-artic.jpg

we need a switch version of this

I made one a long-ass time ago, I'll try to dig it up when I get home.

3DS will get support for at least another 2 years I fear, as bad as it sounds it's the right decision from a business standpoint. Even though it's a bit disappointing that Capcom is more willing to put their heavy hitter Monster Hunter IP on the system than Nintendo is with Pokemon... (Pokken doesn't count)
Well it's not different from last generation. Monster Hunter Tri G released on 3DS in 2011. Mainline Pokemon didn't appear on 3DS until 2013. Pokemon B2/W2 both released well after the 3DS was released. GameFreak simply has a different way of transitioning to new hardware to Capcom with their respective franchises, that's all.

That eurogamer link is the only that makes it sound like theres a Pokemon RPG coming. They are also the ones that thought it was Stars. Every other links supports Pokken DX.

Yeah... As I recall the other articles there were from interviews with GameFreak. Eurogamer's report about Stars came from their own anonymous sources hence the difference.

Didn't Nintendo release Black & White on DS when 3DS already released too?
This is the same scenario and 3DS did just fine.

You'll have to wait till next gen for a Switch version.

That was indeed the case. The major difference being that 3DS could still play Black and White due to backwards compatibility.

Despite this, I still trust Eurogamer. Perhaps plans changed or their source was wrong. If the latter, then I hope they are more careful with validating rumours.

Yeah, I posted this before in the other thread, but it was ignored.
Black 2 and White 2 were released 16 months after the 3DS launched, for the DS

Despite this, I still trust Eurogamer. Perhaps plans changed or their source was wrong. If the latter, then I hope they are more careful with validating rumours.

They also said BOTW wouldn't make Switch launch and that Mario Odyssey would. Just saying...

Oersted

That eurogamer link is the only that makes it sound like theres a Pokemon RPG coming. They are also the ones that thought it was Stars. Every other links supports Pokken DX.

Can you read?

Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and
a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/pok-mon-mario-and-zelda-headline-nx-dream-line-up/0170678

We’ll have you work on the production an RPG game that is popular on a global scale.

Platform will be console.

It’s a title that just about anyone knows, a proposal that could be your future career.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/2...orizon-game-freak-recruiting-console-project/

Yeah... As I recall the other articles there were from interviews with GameFreak. Eurogamer's report about Stars came from their own anonymous sources hence the difference.

None are from Game Freak interviews.

Waji

Calm down everyone!

3DS will get support for at least another 2 years I fear, as bad as it sounds it's the right decision from a business standpoint. Even though it's a bit disappointing that Capcom is more willing to put their heavy hitter Monster Hunter IP on the system than Nintendo is with Pokemon... (Pokken doesn't count)
Maybe not for that long. And even with these 2 games it's not what we can call a big support, at least compared to what the Switch is getting (+ whatever's hidden).

With E3 100% focused on the Switch (and only gameplay of already announced games for the 3ds at the treehouse), the future is obvious.
I never believed we could get a pokemon this year, it just doesn't make sense considering what already comes (and other stuff yet TBA).
Plus, year 1 includes up to the end of February 2018 so there's still plenty of time to get pokemon "early" in the console's life. Year 2 wouldn't seem especially late.
There's already a good amount of eggs in their basket, better not put everything at once.

And whatever happens, let's first wait for the Spotlight to at least have a clear idea about what to expect for the rest of the year.

None are from Game Freak interviews.

My bad, I got TPC and Game Freak reps confused. I also wasn't smart enough to re-read the articles at those links as I see now that just the IGN article pertained to the interviews. Regardless, it seems like MCV and Eurogamer were the only ones to really suggest that Pokemon was coming this soon and they had their own sources separate from the other two.

They also said BOTW wouldn't make Switch launch and that Mario Odyssey would. Just saying...

To be fair, there were a few "insiders" who backed that info up and it looks to just be the result of moving schedules. Changing the timing of finished games is quite different from an entire title possibly not existing for the platform it was rumored to be on.

Siege.exe

Clock's ticking on the Pokemon part of that first link, I don't think we're seeing GF's Switch game this year. As for the other two, yeah, they say the game exists. None of them predicted the game's announcement alongside two dual version releases, which is why I didn't mention them in my post. I wouldn't accuse anyone of not being able to read when you're clearly ignoring stuff yourself

Okay I misread.

Still don't see the point in releasing Stars for Switch unless they announce it before Ultra Sun and Moon releases. And if they are, why didn't they announce it during the Direct?

Oersted

Clock's ticking on the Pokemon part of that first link, I don't think we're seeing GF's Switch game this year. As for the other two, yeah, they say the game exists. None of them predicted the game's announcement alongside two dual version releases, which is why I didn't mention them in my post. I wouldn't accuse anyone of not being able to read when you're clearly ignoring stuff yourself

I stated earlier that I hate being the guy calling that bullshit out, but if someone posts

while the links say

Developer Game Freak will bring Pokémon to the platform, while Nintendo’s first party titles include the previously announced Zelda game – Breath of the Wild – and
a new Mario game. All three products are scheduled to appear within the first six months of the machine’s life.

Game Freak is recruiting for a new console development project and they’re in need of 3D CG designers with experience on Wii U and PS Vita level character models using animation and modeling software Maya.

than someone has to call that bullshit out.

You can be that person.

That's cool and I'm not arguing that point.

My point is

• Black 2 and White 2 could be played on the 3DS.

• Who wants to wait a couple years before they drop their Switch offerings

• Yes Game Freak, cross gen is a thing. Just up res it and say "you are welcome" and we would've eaten that shit up.

• Seriously, why not make it cross gen? Blah blah blah.. Game Freak hasn't done Cross Gen! Blah Blah Blah... Get with the times. Release to the 70+ Million and to the couple million and growing Switch base.

• These games would've helped keep the Switch's sales momentum alot better then Pokken ever could.

I love Pokémon games but hate this decision to keep the newer titles on the 3DS. I've bought a N3DS and own a regular one from the get go. With that said, I FUCKING HATE THAT SYSTEM! I hate the system but love the Pokémon games and JRPG'S that were release for it. As it stands now I won't be buying Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun because I don't want to game on that system now that I have the Switch.

Siege.exe

I stated earlier that I hate being the guy calling that bullshit out, but if someone posts

while the links say

than someone has to call that bullshit out.

You can be that person.

Fortunately for me I didn't say anything about any of the articles you mentioned in my post, huh

Yes. We know this so far:

I'll try to revise your list with the confirmed details and break it down a little:

Tsunekazu Ishihara, boss of the Pokemon company, which oversees all Pokemon products including mainline and spinoff games- "We will make games for the NX." - No real surprise here (September 2016)

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/09/20...or-nintendo-nx

Game Freak job posting in March strongly suggests they are hiring for a (Switch) console Pokemon game. Game Freak develops all of the mainline Pokemon game and has never developed a Pokemon spinoff.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/03/20...nsole-project/

Junichi Masuda - Game Freak Producer of Pokemon games statements in December:
"Without a doubt, Nintendo Switch is the future , but we will have to wait until it comes to the market and study how it can benefit from Pokémon. When people have it, we will have to see and study deeply how they use it to then think about how the next installments of Pokémon will be and how the saga could benefit from this new console."

https://translate.google.com/transl...-pokemon-nintendo-switch-es-el-futuro/2163540

The Pokemon Company's denial of Sun and Moon on Switch is almost as explicit as possible - "We would like to address rumours based on a clerical error on the Pokémon press site," a Pokémon Company spokesperson told Eurogamer. "Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon are coming exclusively to Nintendo 3DS family of systems and are not due for release on Nintendo Switch. This listing on the Pokémon press site was made in error and is not indicative of future plans. Please refer to the Pokémon Direct for the full details of the game."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...a-moon-was-an-error-is-3ds-only/#61efdadd45c0

Oersted

Fortunately for me I didn't say anything about any of the articles you mentioned in my post, huh

You replied to me, but not to the actual content of my post. But whatever, to go back to where it started

I've seen more than a few people post stuff about Stars being the third Pokemon game mentioned in that 4chan post, so I want to point something out. That post does not say three Pokemon Sun/Moon re-releases or upgrades. It says that "there are three new Pokemon games for 3DS and Switch, two of them are dual versions". We saw all three of those games today; Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon (the dual versions) and Pokken DX. There are no shreds of hope to hold on to, that was it.

I missunderstood your post as there are no shreds of hopes to hold on to, that was it. I overlooked that you exclusively wanted to destroy the 4chan rumor, not the last shreds of hope for people for a mainline Pokemon game on Switch.

In my defense, it didn't seem to be like you were aware of the information I posted.

Siege.exe

But the pokemon company said no switch versions. Isn't that enough to debunk that?

By "3DS and Switch", they didn't mean all three games were for both systems. Just that there were three games to be announced between the two.

You replied to me, but not to the actual content of my post. But whatever, to go back to where it started

I missunderstood your post as there are no shreds of hopes to hold on to, that was it. I overlooked that you exclusively wanted to destroy the 4chan rumor, not the last shreds of hope for people for a mainline Pokemon game on Switch.

In my defense, it didn't seem to be like you were aware of the information I posted.

It'd be foolish to downplay there being a Pokemon Switch game at all, I just thought it was weird that people were using the 4chan post as a reason for us seeing a third mainline game soon.

It'd be foolish to downplay there being a Pokemon Switch game at all, I just thought it was weird that people were using the 4chan post as a reason for us seeing a third mainline game soon.

I don't view 4Chan as the most trustworthy site, but your logic here confuses me a bit. That "rumor" says there will be three Pokemon games announced and the "tags" included sun, moon, ultra, and eclipse. What makes you so sure that Pokken was on of those three games when it doesn't fit any of those "tags"? It also mentions the Switch and 3DS game(s) being compatible with one another in some way.

kitsuneyo

I'm sure this got said already, but...

It makes zero sense for Nintendo to announce or release Pokemon for Switch this year while they can't meet demand for consoles. It would be throwing money away.

• Gamefreak has never done a cross-gen Pokemon game.
  • Traditional "third-versions" have been dead since Gen 5.
  • Gamefreak generally takes about 2 years to get a game ready for a new system.
  • The credibility of the leakers have been on shaky ground for a while, especially after they turned out to be wrong about what was at the January Switch presentation.
  • Starts is a stupid fucking name.

...and yet, despite all of that, you all still fell for it. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Anyway, don't fall for that 4chan leak either. 4chan leakers are literally the equivalent of the proverbial room full of monkeys on typewriters. If they got anything right, it's usually by sheer luck rather than because they actually knew anything.

Siege.exe

I don't view 4Chan as the most trustworthy site, but your logic here confuses me a bit. That "rumor" says there will be three Pokemon games announced and the "tags" included sun, moon, ultra, and eclipse. What makes you so sure that Pokken was on of those three games when it doesn't fit any of those "tags"?

Well, we saw three games, two of them were dual versions, and one was not. The word "Eclipse" was not used at all in the direct, so I don't think that Pokken being announced flies in the face of anything when not all of the tags were used. There was nothing in that post that declared all three games would be mainline, so Pokken being the third based on what happened today is pretty safe.

• Anyway, don't fall for that 4chan leak either. 4chan leakers are literally the equivalent of the proverbial room full of monkeys on typewriters. If they got anything right, it's usually by sheer luck rather than because they actually knew anything.

• There's also this, but in the context of "maybe Stars is actually the third game", I just thought it was far more likely to have been Pokken

I don't think this deconfirms a switch version per se. It could still be the third version that has a combination of Pokemon from both games and content from original and ultra versions. It would probably have some Pokemon missing from two versions and crossplay could possibly be allowed with 3ds version(or at least trading).

Well we'll see at E3. Not keep my fingers crossed or anything though.

Algebrah

I guess Nintendo wanted to milk 3DS owners with another iteration before doing Stars on the Switch.

It makes sense from a business perspective but it sucks.

Durden77

Knowing GF, I expect a new Pokemon game on the Switch in 2018-19. They like to get every single piece of revenue possible from the systems they are established on before moving on. Honestly it's not a bad move. They know a lot of people buy these portables JUST for Pokemon, so it kind of traps and satisfies their base.

Or we may not see a mainlain Pokemon game on the Switch at all. Who fucking knows. All I know is that they know how to make money.

Thud

Of course Stars will be the third version. And Ultra Stars its sequel.

6 games per pokemon gen here we go.

It was Eurogamer that leaked Stars. And before that, they "leaked" Gamecube VC for Switch and Mother 3.

Their software "leaks" were as flat-out wrong as Laura Dale's.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Rah rah rah, Pie and Bogeyman. It'd make sense if this was to just focus on the 3DS milk and pump those versions up before all attention seeps to the Switch version. But then Game Freak are just... not very good at getting to grips with hardware so who knows, a year delay or just straight cancellation are always on the cards.

Everyone doubting Eurogamer is a bit silly though as yeh, timescales change quite often in the SEAT OF OUR PANTS game industry. When Mother 3 turns up and everyone loses their minds its gonna be some weird delayed reaction shit.

If gamefreak are still as small as they always have been, it would be very difficult to produce a switch version - a brand new platform - only a year after sun and moon. And now they're doing a warmed over version...sorry an entirely new adventure...on 3DS, they'd have even less resource to do a switch version.

Unless Nintendo has provided extra help I don't know if it's feasible for them to have three games out in 12 months.

In retrospect, those Eurogamer/Laura leaks were so obviously fake. I mean, Mother 3? GameCube VC on a Tegra X1 device? Pokemon Stars, something that's completely against Game Freak/TPC's MO? I mean, that should've sent off alarm bells all around, but the hardware leaks clouded everything.

Oh and, Mario X Rabbids wasn't originally theirs.

Top Bottom