• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TPP withdrawal Trump's first executive action Monday, sources say

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

tbm24

It's going to be amusing seeing him negotiate a deal about with the Asia pacific region now that he's throwing away US leverage.

Volimar

Yeah, that thing was dead in the water unless Obama tried pushing it through. I think it's gonna end up being a dozen smaller trade deals.

sazzy

Meanwhile, China is full steam ahead on their multi billion One Belt, One Road strategy

B7yFq5S.png

UberTag

Good.

Now I won't be surprised if he just "negotiates" the same thing with a different name.
Hopefully global leaders don't humor Trump on this "equivalent deals with a different name to make him look good" nonsense.
If all he wants to do his put the Trump stamp on the same deal let him offer concessions over what was in place before.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Many left-wing Europeans welcome the collapse of TPP negotiations. Good riddance to bad rubbish I'd say.

Oh wait. This is TPP, not TTIP.

Australia will undoubtedly sign the first thing that Trump presents, we'll literally bite his hand off such is the current governments zeal for any sort of trade deal no matter how one sided.

"So we will completely destroy our car manufacturing industry, pretty much the rest of the secondary manufacturing industry and sell all our natural gas to you at a rate one half as everyone else in Australia pays and you'll in five years drop your import tariffs on wine from 21% to 17%? Sounds like a great deal, where do we sign?"

faint.

The only positive thing that will come from his presidency.

I also have a feeling Trump will be trigger happy with executive orders, and since the GOP is in full control, there's not much hope.

Yeah, that thing was dead in the water unless Obama tried pushing it through. I think it's gonna end up being a dozen smaller trade deals.

It's going to end up with a China led regional trade deal without United States being part of it just like the AIIB. US doesn't even trade with South East Asia that much.

Steejee

Well, Trump does something good for once. He can only follow up to this incredible action by leaving office!

Go out on top, eh? He's already taken the George Castanza strategy on for shrinkage, might as well do it for leaving a room while at your peak.

As for TPP, this is probably the least awful thing he'll do all term. On whole I think TPP would have been more good than bad, and now China will have their chance to increase their influence in regional trade in SE Asia, but this won't exactly be the end of the world.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One of the funniest things this election season was seeing a lot of people who were at first adamantly opposing the TPP all of a sudden moderate their position a lot for no other reason than because Trump opposed it too.

I think that's good. I'll admit my knowledge of the intricacies is limited, but I believe the TPP was widely reported to give too much power to corporations over governments. What I'm really worried about is when Trump sets his sights on NAFTA.

seanoff

More like 11th century maritime route, am i right?

The first direct train from China arrived into the UK last week. There is already a service into the European mainland. That map is spot on.

They plan to expand the service quite quickly. It will allow trade in both directions.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This is a terrible deal for regional power in Asia.

The aim of TPP was to eventually force China to the table to play by TPPs rule while giving developing economies a carrot to follow international trade rules and workers rights with open access to the US, Australia and Japanese markets along with investment in infrastructure.

Now China will continue to use Cambodia and now the Phillipenes to blunt any efforts by the ASEAN to blunt Chinese influence in the region.

This is bad for America, bad for the region, bad for the global environment, bad for US patent holders and will do nothing to stave off automation.

But, free trade, globalism and pluralism are now dirty words from a chunk of both sides of the aisle so here we are taking a rusty knife to our collective faces cheering the removal of our nose.

StoOgE

I think that's good. I'll admit my knowledge of the intricacies is limited, but I believe the TPP was widely reported to give too much power to corporations over governments. What I'm really worried about is when Trump sets his sights on NAFTA.

I hate it based on some untrue things I read on the internet! Also, Obama might not have been American? Hillary should be in jail? Climate Change probably isn't man made!

Remember kids, educate yourself. An ilinformed electorate doesn't just happen to Deplorables.

This is a terrible deal for regional power in Asia.

The aim of TPP was to eventually force China to the table to play by TPPs rule while giving developing economies a carrot to follow inter ational trade rules with open access to the US, Australia and Japanese markets.

Now China will continue to use Cambodia and now the Phillipenes to blunt any efforts by the ASEAN to blunt Chinese influence in the region.

This is bad for America, bad for the region, bad for the global environment, bad for US patent holders and will do nothing to stave off automation.

But, free trade, globalism and pluralism are now dirty words from a chunk of both sides of the aisle so here we are taking a rusty knife to our collective faces cheering the removal of our nose.

See, I keep hearing arguments about how bad it is from both sides. It's moot now, but it's hard to know if the good outweighed the bad in the end. Hard to make a clear cut decision on this.

I hate it based on some untrue things I read on the internet! Also, Obama might not have been American? Hillary should be in jail? Climate Change probably isn't man made!

Remember kids, educate yourself. An I'll formed electorate doesn't just happen to Deplorables.

Would you mind doing a Eil5? I am totally ignorant on what it entails.

StoOgE

See, I keep hearing arguments about how bad it is from both sides. It's moot now, but it's hard to know if the good outweighed the bad in the end. Hard to make a clear cut decision on this.

You could have read up on it. The good far far far outweighs the bad. Hell, it's a better deal for the US than any of the other developed nations in it. They were bending over backwards to get us what we needed.

Our agriculture and farming industry was about to invade Japan with massive amounts of exports.

Meanwhile, China is full steam ahead on their multi billion One Belt, One Road strategy

B7yFq5S.png

The US is going to lose so much ground in places like Africa over the next four years.
The amount of efforts the Chinese are putting into the continent is staggering (recently gave $180 million for energy development in my home country).

People look up to the Chinese here (even with all their faults like underpaying workers) more than Americans now its crazy.

Edit:
Heh, this is even linked in that Huff post article someone linked above.
Trump May Actually Be The Greatest Gift China Could Ask For In Africa

Aurongel

Remember kids, educate yourself. An ilinformed electorate doesn't just happen to Deplorables.
Well that's a needlessly condescending thing to say to someone. Try educating instead of insulting, TPP is a very difficult topic for many to approach despite having legitimate interest in it. It also doesn't help that the general consensus on it flip flopped multiple times in the past year.

EDIT: that's better.

dramatis

People had talked about why the TPP was good before the election, they were just drowned out by nationalism and populism—on the far ends of both sides.

The easy path is to reject globalization. The hard path is finding the answer on how to make globalization work for everyone.

You could have read up on it. The good far far far outweighs the bad. Hell, it's a better deal for the US than any of the other developed nations in it. They were bending over backwards to get us what we needed.

Our agriculture and farming industry was about to invade Japan with massive amounts of exports.

I did read up on it. From credible sources (macleans, global, ctv etc.) the final argument seems to be that it's a bad deal for Canada, but not signing off on it and being left out would have been worse. Now, the American perspective might be different of course. With the US out, its over anyway.

Measley

This is one of the many issues I had with the populist message coming from Bernie and Trump. They outright misled rust belt workers into believing that they were going to bring their jobs back, and that the TPP was the first step in that process.

Unfortunately, backing out of this deal is going to have the opposite effect, and harm the US economy overall.

slit

It was never going to happen anyway. It "sounds" bad to the masses on both sides of the political spectrum. You're not going to convince them otherwise. This country is now in a anti-globalization phase.

br3wnor

I'm not well versed enough in the details of TPP to say if I'd be for or against it, but Clinton was going to back out of it too so it is what is it is. Whether it hurts or helps us in the long run will remain to be seen.

I'm from one of those other developed nations.
It wasn't a great deal for us, & I'll not be sorry to see it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom