• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Turbo |OT| It's Turbo Time!

Invis

just picked up the pc version. can't find the graphical settings. anyone know how to get to them?

There is a launcher for the game, it's in there. Should just be called Config.exe, in the same folder with regular game .exe. There's also some basic graphical settings like resolution and AA in the game's settings. Move your mouse to the top of the screen and hit the gear icon.

Speaking of graphic settings, has anyone found any SGSSAA bits so far?

Are there enough improvements to make this worth picking up on pc for someone who owns all of 2? The lack of custom dedicated servers is a huge blow.

Grabbed this yesterday and have been having a blast. The visuals remind me a little of the old Sega arcade racers like Outrun or Daytona USA. Those blue skies, bright colors, and that crazy drifting. What an awesome surprise this game has been.

Xyber

There is a launcher for the game, it's in there. Should just be called Config.exe, in the same folder with regular game .exe. There's also some basic graphical settings like resolution and AA in the game's settings. Move your mouse to the top of the screen and hit the gear icon.

Speaking of graphic settings, has anyone found any SGSSAA bits so far?

The launcher settings didn't work at all for me. Launched the game and it ran at 900p, checked the launcher again and all settings were like I had set them. They just didn't have any effect on the game. =/

Checked the in-game settings and saw that you couldn't change anything there. Remembered how the older games had the options menu at the top and tried that and fortunately those settings did work.

But if you only play this game with a gamepad you would have no fucking idea how to access those options.

It's a shame the PC version was a straight port with some PC features bolted on. They finally got the presentation/UI down at least.

Invis

The launcher settings didn't work at all for me. Launched the game and it ran at 900p, checked the launcher again and all settings were like I had set them. They just didn't have any effect on the game. =/

Checked the in-game settings and saw that you couldn't change anything there. Remembered how the older games had the options menu at the top and tried that and fortunately those settings did work.

But if you only play this game with a gamepad you would have no fucking idea how to access those options.

It's a shame the PC version was a straight port with some PC features bolted on. They finally got the presentation/UI down at least.

Resolution on fullscreen mode is a bit bugged at the moment. At least it was for me. No matter what resolution is set in the launcher or in the game it's gonna be stuck at a lower value. Fullscreen windowed also didnt work, it just locked in a window at 720p.

What I had to do was set it to Windowed, change the resolution to 1920x1080 (or your resolution), and then check the box to disable the borders. This is a temporary fix and is basically just fullscreen windowed.

Regarding the options and audio settings at the top in a hover-over dropdown box, it's been like that for years and years. And since TM is already a bit of a cult game, I would assume they just felt the playerbase on PC would already know it's there, regardless if they're on KB or gamepad.

The presentation in Turbo game is top notch. I personally was a fan of all the dedimania records in the UI, but a lot of it was unnecessary. This is by far a cleaner and more professional interface, which I certainly do approve of.

I do believe the PC port of Turbo is mainly just to hold us off until the Maniaplanet version of TrackMania 2 Lagoon with all the regular PC features.

Lemonte

Are there enough improvements to make this worth picking up on pc for someone who owns all of 2? The lack of custom dedicated servers is a huge blow.

If you are not in a hurry to play Lagoon then probably not worth it. They are going to give Maniaplanet Lagoon for free if you own Turbo. That's the reason I bought it.

Grabbed this yesterday and have been having a blast. The visuals remind me a little of the old Sega arcade racers like Outrun or Daytona USA. Those blue skies, bright colors, and that crazy drifting. What an awesome surprise this game has been.

Can't say it better, the game is a blast and a must buy for arcade racing fans. This is the kind of game i was waiting for !

Lemonte

Is that confirmed anywhere?

These 2 quotes are already months old but

"It's planned to give a free TM² environment to Turbo buyers (from any plateform), including Lagoon when it'll be available next year. But we don't have a process yet on how it'll be done." - Cerovan

"Yes, we wish to give Maniaplanet Lagoon for free to every Trackmania Turbo owner. On console, I hope we will be able to do it through the Uplay account, but it's still to be confirmed." - Hylis
Source

I'll try to dig if there's any newer info.

Lemonte

wtf is a super solo mode? lol

Yo! Welcome to the Super TrackMaster video series. For those, who don't know what Super TrackMaster means, here a quick explanation: Me and a few other professional drivers have been hired by Nadeo to drive super hard to beat times to make a Super TrackMaster medal. Once you've beaten the regular TrackMaster medals on all 200 tracks, you will unlock the Super Solo mode where you can tackle our times ;)

from the comments

sneaky77

from the comments

Well I don't have to worry about that lol.. I don't see myself getting track master in all the tracks.. I got gold in the first 50, and trackmaster in 5 of them. I wish there was a better way to check needed times for green medal, maybe show only after getting gold or something

Alkuk

Neo Member
from the comments

Thx, I should have quoted this in my post ...

Well I don't have to worry about that lol.. I don't see myself getting track master in all the tracks.. I got gold in the first 50, and trackmaster in 5 of them. I wish there was a better way to check needed times for green medal, maybe show only after getting gold or something

Yeah, me too. Good idea to show trackmaster times after gold or even after you got gold for a certain area like all canyon/white tracks on gold.
Also waiting for time leaderboards and "no ghost at all"-option.

timmyp53

Easily the best arcade racer in years and an absolute steal at that price.
Quality stuff.

After seeing bloodworth & brandon jones streaming it on twitch I was sold!. I only wish cars exploded but damn it looks so god damn fun.

Easily the best arcade racer in years and an absolute steal at that price.
Quality stuff.

I agree, bought it today and I'm addicted to getting those gold medals. It's pure arcade so absolutely no moaning possible about all the things that are wrong in sim racing (which I love as well). Just so easy to pickup when you have time.

jesu

Man when you are in the bottom 5 of a room of 25 then pull of a cracking lap right at the end to finish top 5 :D

epmode

I bought this.

I know I should be annoyed by everything Turbo leaves out from the earlier PC releases... But for the way I play the game (usually solo, no crazy car or music modding), this is just fine. The MASSIVELY IMPROVED UI for controllers is especially welcome. I really love the multinational race festival thing too, what with the countdowns in different languages and all of the signage on the roads.

edit: The menus remind me of Trials Evolution. I think it's the animations when you choose stuff.

JP

A couple of basic questions for people who have spent some time with the game, I've only just started it.
  1. Having watched a video on YouTube it looks like you can sort of bunny hop the cars but I couldn't work out how it happened, I've tried pressing everything. What am I missing?
  2. Is there any way to manually boost?

A couple of basic questions for people who have spent some time with the game, I've only just started it.
  1. Having watched a video on YouTube it looks like you can sort of bunny hop the cars but I couldn't work out how it happened, I've tried pressing everything. What am I missing?

You can only hop when it's in stunt mode, you can do it by moving the right stick up and down.

I believe you can boost, I think it's L1 or LB.

If you are racing in "stunt mode", you use the right stick to control suspension/bunny hop

There's no regular boost. EDIT: Whoa really? Didn't know that

Stunt mode online with people's custom crazy tracks is the MOST fun I've ever had in any online game... My GF and I were crying we were laughing so hard at everyone's fuck ups and rocket ship style launches into the stratosphere lol:D

JP

You can only hop when it's in stunt mode, you can do it by moving the right stick up and down.

If you are racing in "stunt mode", you use the right stick to control suspension/bunny hop

There's no regular boost. EDIT: Whoa really? Didn't know that
Thanks.

I've looked other places top find information like this but it just doesn't seem to be recorded anywhere. It's strange that it doesn't have a digital booklet on the PSN, that's all it needs really.

Buying it tomorrow. Been a fan of this since high school 12 years ago when we would secretly play this during computer classes. It almost feels like a luxury to have this on PS4, a great iteration nonetheless (from what I experienced during both beta's.)

I'm having a lot of fun playing this. Is there a way to see your friends ghosts? Kind of like Trials?

The lack of obvious leaderboards is a bit of a downer so far.

epmode

Is anyone seeing some strange graphical artifacts in the early Valley levels? PC version. The sun and/or clouds reflect on the screen in bizarre ways. It's tough to explain but it feels like a broken god ray or lens flare. It shows up within the first second of race #13, in the clouds on the right.

Here's an example from another level: http://abload.de/img/trackmaniaturbo2016-0n5xqa.png

Er, it only appears at 2560x1440. At 1080p, it looks fine.

You sure about that? None of the previous games allowed you to manually boost. Pressing it in-game doesn't do anything either.

edit: If there's a boost, I'm 99% sure it's not active in the racing mode.

Is anyone seeing some strange graphical artifacts in the early Valley levels? PC version. The sun and/or clouds reflect on the screen in some really strange ways. It's tough to explain but it feels like a broken god ray or something.

I only get it in fullscreen. Weird.

You sure about that? None of the previous games allowed you to manually boost. Pressing it in-game doesn't do anything either.

edit: If there's a boost, I'm 99% sure it's not active in the racing mode.

No, I'm not sure but thought I heard someone say it had a manual boost.

I'm not enjoying this as much as I'd expected/hoped to.

Then again, the fact that part of the campaign is locked behind perfection has kind of killed my excitement.

Downloading global challenges is the only way to play others' created levels, right?

Fox Mulder

I like them hidden. Makes chipping away that more satisfying.

I'm not enjoying this as much as I'd expected/hoped to.

Then again, the fact that part of the campaign is locked behind perfection has kind of killed my excitement.

the campaign lets you use the joker medals to progress if you can't earn golds.

conman

Picked this up on a whim (on PC). I'd heard of the series off and on over the years, but for some reason, I thought it was something totally different from what it actually is. I thought it was just an online kart racing game for PC. I'm soooo glad that I was wrong. And I'm also soooo bummed it took me this long to play! It's like Wipeout meets Trials. Two of my favorite games in one!

robotrock

Banned
Picked this up on a whim (on PC). I'd heard of the series off and on over the years, but for some reason, I thought it was something totally different from what it actually is. I thought it was just an online kart racing game for PC. I'm soooo glad that I was wrong. And I'm also soooo bummed it took me this long to play! It's like Wipeout meets Trials. Two of my favorite games in one!

There's a nice Trackmania sale right now on Steam as well. If you're enjoying Turbo, it's worth checking out Trackmania 2 Stadium as well.

Top Bottom