• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trackmania Turbo |OT| It's Turbo Time!

Paganmoon

Does the game have analogue steering or can you use the dpad? Finding the beetle type car on the dirt tracks so difficult to keep in a straight line - even tiny taps make a big change

It's analog with the left stick. I've noticed it works better with the buggy if I sometimes release the throttle for half a second adjust and then speed up again.

Also analog throttle with the right trigger iirc.

weekev

Banned
It's analog with the left stick. I've noticed it works better with the buggy if I sometimes release the throttle for half a second adjust and then speed up again.

Also analog throttle with the right trigger iirc.

That works better but also slows you down ever so slightly if you are going for Trackmaster medals...

Paganmoon

That works better but also slows you down ever so slightly if you are going for Trackmaster medals...

Trackmaster? shit, some of us have trouble finishing some tracks on silver! :)

Steering (and accelerating) is digital even if you use the sticks (and triggers)

Steering has never been digital in the Trackmania games (if you've used a controller). I can say for sure that steering is analog, specially due to the Canyon drift, it's essential to use the analog steering to time your drifts, when you've got very long arcs, adding to the drift and straightening and adding again. That wouldn't be possible without analog.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trackmaster? shit, some of us have trouble finishing some tracks on silver! :)

Steering has never been digital in the Trackmania games (if you've used a controller). I can say for sure that steering is analog, specially due to the Canyon drift, it's essential to use the analog steering to time your drifts, when you've got very long arcs, adding to the drift and straightening and adding again. That wouldn't be possible without analog.

On previous games (and this one with canyon drift), I'd initiate a deift and then control it with taps of the dpad. It was tuned really nicely around how quickly the wheels would turn based on how long you held the dpad down

I think that feel is still there, but the buggy is quite frustrating to drive

mdsfx

I actually dislike how the solo campaign is laid out, forcing you to shift from one 'mode' to the next every 10 tracks. Each one controls so differently. It would've been nice to process in each one separately if you wanted.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I actually dislike how the solo campaign is laid out, forcing you to shift from one 'mode' to the next every 10 tracks. Each one controls so differently. It would've been nice to process in each one separately if you wanted.

Yeah. Would have been good if maybe all the top row were unlocked from the start, and each column unlocked downwards - ie complete canyon drift White to unlock the next difficulty in canyon drift.

Xyber

Steering (and accelerating) is digital even if you use the sticks (and triggers)

Steering is definitively analogue (even if it can feel like it's digital in Valley on dirt because the slightest touch on the stick makes the car turn 90 degrees :p).

Steering is definitively analogue (even if it can feel like it's digital in Valley on dirt because the slightest touch on the stick makes the car turn 90 degrees :p).

Yeah it's analogue.

I know this for a fact, because my controllers analogue stick is broken and causes the car to drift a left little all the time.

I both love and hate this motherfucking piece of shit, glorious game.

Lol, yes, that's a nice statement. It can be so frustrating if you miss your racing line by inches, and your whole race is screwed. Loving it though. trying and trying again. Can't imagine I'll ever get all the tracks gold.
Wish they would put the button for records on the screen the whole time per track instead of when you start it up for the first time.
Must say a lot of my PS4 friends have bought this.

weekev

Banned
Lol, yes, that's a nice statement. It can be so frustrating if you miss your racing line by inches, and your whole race is screwed. Loving it though. trying and trying again. Can't imagine I'll ever get all the tracks gold.
Wish they would put the button for records on the screen the whole time per track instead of when you start it up for the first time.
Must say a lot of my PS4 friends have bought this.

Multilap dirt tracks are cronic for this. However once you get a perfect run, it feels glorious.

*Splinter

Yeah just tested and I was wrong. I remember checking the triggers (digital), guess I never checked the steering

Fox Mulder

Yeah. Would have been good if maybe all the top row were unlocked from the start, and each column unlocked downwards - ie complete canyon drift White to unlock the next difficulty in canyon drift.

That's how I'd like it, but i've been putting in gold or silver runs just to get stuff unlocked with the intent to come back later.

Guess that stuff is just broken. That sucks, makes the ranking system much less interesting.

The game says I'm 1st in my state, 2 in US, and 78 in the world on the ps4. I figured it was broken.

Its a shame this game is being largely ignored. Probably more popular in and around Europe, here in the states all anyone plays are fps', Minecraft, or GTA V. They're fine, but branch out and play something new once in awhile.

Tizoc

Getting bronze in these later stages wouldnt be a big issue if i could actually finish the bloody stages
seriously the green 60s drove me insane with some of these narrow paths and gates
That shit is not fun....

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The game says I'm 1st in my state, 2 in US, and 78 in the world on the ps4. I figured it was broken.

The game says I'm #1 in Sweden and #50-ish in the world. It hasn't ever shown me drop a single position, I've only seen myself rank up - meanwhile, I know it has also shown other people that they're #1 in Sweden. The site says I'm #75 in
Sweden and #6,935 worldwide. I'm certain that's completely wrong, as it hasn't changed at all in at least 3-4 days. So none of it can be trusted.

Its a shame this game is being largely ignored. Probably more popular in and around Europe, here in the states all anyone plays are fps', Minecraft, or GTA V. They're fine, but branch out and play something new once in awhile.

Trackmania enjoys a cult status over here (Western Europe), pretty much every one has played it at school or at home at one point. It's also covered a lot by gaming media here, I think it's definitely a European game in that sense.

I'm enjoying this a lot at the moment. The custom track online lobbies are just so much fun.

Lemonte

wLRts9x.png

pff.. can't even get gold anymore in Valley. Black series is serious business.

Freeman76

Is there any way to view other peoples replays?

Also, what are you console players using, Analog/Digi or both?

I have found digital good for the drift events, but Analog is much better for the buggies so far

Lemonte

Is there any way to view other peoples replays?

Also, what are you console players using, Analog/Digi or both?

I have found digital good for the drift events, but Analog is much better for the buggies so far

I always use analog stick in every environment. Use what feels the best.

Freeman76

Damn that's impressive
Edit I'll never complete it lol

I remember thinking I could NEVER even PASS Inferno 2 on Trials HD. 6 Months later I could 0 fault it, one out of 100 times lol. What at first seems impossible often becomes easy with practice.

That said, I will NEVER get gold on all these LOL

Freeman76

I always use analog stick in every environment. Use what feels the best.

That's good to know, I saw you clearly know what you are doing from your screenshot above. I only tried Digital in the first place because I saw someone saying that the console controls were adapted from the PC version which uses keyboard, made sense but was probably not all that accurate.

Where do you see the track master times?

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/...trackmaster-medals-developer-times-list.html?

They're are some people making an effort to compile a list, but the times aren't explicit so it's just narrowed down by what people are getting when earning the medals. Still, very helpful if you're going for them.

They also have video guides on how to get them. Though honestly most of them are pretty easy going. Don't crash and take a good line, and you will get the trackmaster time.

Found some of the craziest lobbies tonight on PS4. Look for the one with the Canadian flag with probably a 100 players in already. Name is something like Le_Gringo_QC. Finishing his tracks are an achievement on its own. On average I didn't see more than 10 finishes every race (with 100 players).

And another lobby which name I forgot had a series of very cool and basic (but hard to master) tracks of 10-15 seconds each. Basically a couple of turns and that's it, but it was amazing to see 64 people going at it.

What a great game this is. Add me on PSN if anyone wants to party up and do online lobbies: ZankFrappa

epmode

That's good to know, I saw you clearly know what you are doing from your screenshot above. I only tried Digital in the first place because I saw someone saying that the console controls were adapted from the PC version which uses keyboard, made sense but was probably not all that accurate.

The earlier PC games also used analog. Lots of people have better luck with digital is all. (I've always used analog)

krae_man

Finally got the game in the mail. Stupid Amazon. Anyway it was weird having my beta times transfer over but not game progress. Tracks were tagged as gold or Trackmaster yet when I clicked on them I was told "you haven't unlocked this yet".

So far I'm mostly just trying for Golds. Every once and I while I replay a level a few times and see how high I can get up the leaderboard.

Managed this on Track 26:
OCpAWwz.jpg

Next goal: crack the top 10 worldwide on a track.

Top Bottom