• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trailer for "10 Cloverfield Lane" (aka Cloverfield 2) airs before 13 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

No, I get you, I'm just saying "the best experience" is so variable from person to person that trying to suggest there's set, standard way (beyond the basics of shut the fuck up and pay attention to the screen) is bound to have a few holes in it.

I feel like the solid bedrock everyone can stand on is "be engaged and pay attention." Anything past that is gonna vary from person to person.

Agreed.

Dalek

The joy of the journey can be appreciated in different ways by different people. Someone knowing the skeleton of a plot might take that knowledge and use it to focus on different aspects of the storytelling now that they don't have to preoccupy themselves with trying to outsmart the movie or stay two steps ahead of it.

There's joy to be found in that, certainly, supposing that the execution of the story is up to snuff.

Right?

There's no one size fits all way to best maximize someone's enjoyment of fiction. People do it differently. Some people want to be "spoiled," some don't, some like a blurry mix of the two.

It's all in how you prioritize the aspects of your storytelling.

Man you're spot on with this Bobby. I hate seeing movies with friends of mine who spend the entire movie trying to guess the plot twist and whisper it to me during the film, just so they can boast that they "called it" afterwards. Just watch the movie!

Calvero

Banned
Not being able to see the spoilers from that reddit AMA is making me want to see them more. :( can anyone who saw them, tell me? And that AMA could have just been a whole farce, right?

Not being able to see the spoilers from that reddit AMA is making me want to see them more. :( can anyone who saw them, tell me? And that AMA could have just been a whole farce, right?

He was verified by the mods over there for what it's worth.

I read the very end of the synopsis. If you want, send me a PM.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
He was verified by the mods over there for what it's worth.

I read the very end of the synopsis. If you want, send me a PM.

Could you PM me if a real monster is in this? Not "John goodman is a terrible person" type of monster, but a real monster.

Magwik

Banned
He still primarily works on television, although he has been inching his way forward in the horror movie genre (which I don't really feel are the best use of his talents).
He can do horror, his Constantine music was ace even if NBC sealed it away in a vault forever

Just saw a commercial which showed some new stuff actually. Can't find any video sources yet for it.

In the commercial MEW is at the bunker door saying
There's a woman outside and that she wants in, Goodman is yelling at her to not open the door and that she's already dead.

Erv

Pretty disappointed

it seems this really has nothing to do with the previous movie and it is actually some type of alien movie with alien ships that show up at the very end of the movie. Doubt I'll even see this now.

dream

It's fascinating to see how Trachtenberg is trying to manage expectations on the press junket

Opening in theatres Friday after being revealed with a surprise trailer just two months ago, the film is a follow-up to 2008’s J. J. Abrams-produced Cloverfield, which tracked a group of twentysomethings during a giant monster attack on New York City. But 10 Cloverfield Lane isn’t a sequel, prequel or side-story set in the same universe. Rather, it’s a sibling of sorts to the previous flick.

“They’re not in the same timeline,” director Dan Trachtenberg confirmed during interviews for the film Sunday. The secrecy surrounding the movie “was very much J. J.’s thing, and it was something I hoped would come to fruition in terms of the marketing and the trailer and all that stuff. It’s so exciting to hearken back to a time when we only found out about a movie from its trailer.”

Shoulda listened to duckroll.

How? It's really hard to catch up on the dead drop stuff and I'm super curious

It was here but I'm having trouble playing the audio files at the moment:
https://www.reddit.com/r/10cloverfi...he_usbs_are_both_copies_of_the_same_wav_file/
But someone transcribed the audio in the comments anyways.
Spoiler alert of course
It's fascinating to see how Trachtenberg is trying to manage expectations on the press junket
This whole "not the same timeline" thing really confuses me since Tagruato is featured in both Cloverfield ARGs.

Toa TAK

Banned
Aw. Was hoping for another Clover appearance. ;_;
Anthology series is still, cool, though. But expectations are lowered for sure.

duckroll

So erm, now that it has more or less been confirmed, instead of telling me how there's no way they will market a movie without a giant monster like this, how do fans feel now? That's really all I was interested in, whether people woild be on board with misleading marketing, or if the backlash would overshadow what could still be a cool movie.

Symphonic

So erm, now that it has more or less been confirmed, instead of telling me how there's no way they will market a movie without a giant monster like this, how do fans feel now? That's really all I was interested in, whether people woild be on board with misleading marketing, or if the backlash would overshadow what could still be a cool movie.

Majority are in some pretty intense denial, some are disappointed.

I'm with the latter; not one for denial. I was expecting something fairly different from the original Cloverfield though regardless, so I think I'll still enjoy it. Likely to be a pretty good movie.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

its a rental now

So appearently another guy came out that is credible in regards to screenings and denied what the last guy said about the ending and all the other spoilerific elements. So who knows, it's all still a big guessing game at this point .

JJ has stayed with his statement from day 1. Not a sequel, has elements and blood line of what Cloverfield is. Plentiful of themes and connections you can make, though they might not seem like the obvious ones.

Honestly just early reaction makes me think this is possibly a decent amount better than Cloverfield so they might have improved on the Cloverfield brand as a whole going forward which shouldn't be looked as negative. We will find out soon.

munchie64

Movie ain't out yet.

Calvero

Banned

I think ever since JJ said it was a "blood sequel," fans perceived it as "omg this is really Cloverfield 2" when it could have just as easily been (especially with all the early script changes that were revealed) what it is. Can't say I'm not disappointed though.

This movie was doomed as soon as people started calling it Cloverfield 2. Not doomed quality-wise, but fan reception and such.

So appearently another guy came out that is credible in regards to screenings and denied what the last guy said about the ending and all the other spoilerific elements. So who knows, it's all still a big guessing game at this point .
I still kind of hope this is still part of the whole mystery box approach that this movie has been. Have "screeners" post and say conflicting info, keep people guessing till the movie is out

Calvero

Banned
This movie was doomed as soon as people started calling it Cloverfield 2. Not doomed quality-wise, but fan reception and such.

I still kind of hope this is still part of the whole mystery box approach that this movie has been. Have "screeners" post and say conflicting info, keep people guessing till the movie is out

Pretty much.

Busty

Banned

This.

After some posters called out Duckroll and I in this very thread it seems to me the classy thing to do would not be saying 'I told you so'.

Yes, yes, that would be the classy thing to do.

Well Patton Oswalt liked it

ggknNIa.jpg

Arkeband

Banned
People expecting the Cloverfield monster to show up in Chicago aren't even using their heads. The Cloverfield monster is amphibious, which is why it crawled out of the ocean and tantrum'd around a coastal city. Why would it trek 800 miles inland and mill around outside of this dude's bunker?

Like I posted shortly after 10 Cloverfield Lane was announced,

The monster needs to be the torso of TJ Miller.

I think finding out if it's related to Cloverfield 1 at all is part of the mystery, but I have a feeling they will explain that before its release. My hunch is that they're trying to branch it off into a whole IP, where the only requirement is it's a scifi thriller and the title incorporate Cloverfield in some way.

Like Black Mirror.

They were HEAVILY hinting that they've turned the Cloverfield IP into an anthology series from the moment this trailer leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom