• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Beth Cyra

It's not great. It was the worst TF series at the time, but then it was followed up with the first RiD-titled series, which... Wasn't great either, but it was a return to more old-school designs, so it got a bit of a pass it seems.

Then the Unicron trilogy happened, so BM was inadvertently elevated to maybe low mid-tier.
Strongly disagree with this.

RiD and the Unicron triology have issues but are no where near the trash level of BM.

Then again, aside from the humans I think the Unicron Triology has some great story beats so you might want to disregard my thoughts on this matter.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I have a gut feeling that Takara will only do Season 1 figures, and even then, we won't get the whole cast.

Entirely possible, but we probably won't know for a while.

That said, Takara's decision to release one MP per month is almost certainly responsible for the uptick in BW MPs, and I can see that continuing to the point that they have to branch out into Transmetals at some point.

I admit I'm mostly hoping to get an MP Blackarachnia out of it.

RiD and the Unicron triology have issues but are no where near the trash level of BM.

Then again, aside from the humans I think the Unicron Triology has some great story beats so you might want to disregard my thoughts on this matter.

Nah, you're 100% right. RiD and Unicron Trilogy are definitely bad, but Beast Machines is not just a terrible story with terrible execution, but character assassinates the best TF cast of all time from the best TF show of all time. If BM was just a standalone one-shot TF show it would just be another bad TF cartoon, but you fuck with Beast Wars you go in the motherfucking hole.

Mike M

Nick N

RiD I can respect, but the Unicron trilogy? God no. Armada couldn't even get all the names or animation models right for a single fucking episode. Energon had marginally better animation, but was an incomprehensible mess of cars driving in space to resurrect Unicron, only to kill him, only to resurrect him, only to kill him, and still have like a dozen episodes left to go with nothing left to move the plot. Cybertron finally achieved technical competence, but suffered from stupid shit like trying to make it a follow up to Energon when the show was created as no such thing in Japan. That and there was like, what, nearly a quarter of the episodes spent just doing races on Velocitron for no god damned reason?

Beast Machines was an awful ending to the G1/BW continuity, but Unicron trilogy struggled to rise to the level of barely tolerable mediocrity on its very best day. I can at least hate-watch Beast Machines.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I'd love to get into Transformers again, but a quick check showed that IDW Publishing still doesn't have the comics available in Japan. Oh well, TMNT got here eventually, maybe Transformers will too.

I think they go on sale on Comixology every so often, so that might be your best bet.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Digital or importing aren't options?
I think they go on sale on Comixology every so often, so that might be your best bet.
I was talking about IDW's iOS app - don't really want to import paper comics at this point.

Sadly, Comixology won't have those comics up for purchase here until IDW gives them the green light - the only Transformers issues I can find on the Comixology site are those with GI Joe (and "How to draw Transformers").

NEO0MJ

I was talking about IDW's iOS app - don't really want to import paper comics at this point.

Sadly, Comixology won't have those comics up for purchase here until IDW gives them the green light - the only Transformers issues I can find on the Comixology site are those with GI Joe (and "How to draw Transformers").

I see. Doesn't IDW also offer PDF/CBZ files? You can read those without problem I think by using any reader.

It's not great. It was the worst TF series at the time, but then it was followed up with the first RiD-titled series, which... Wasn't great either, but it was a return to more old-school designs, so it got a bit of a pass it seems.

Then the Unicron trilogy happened, so BM was inadvertently elevated to maybe low mid-tier.

I was thinking of giving it another shot, since I never finished it way back in the day. I mean, what I vaguely remember I remember HATING - that they didn't transform but rather..morphed, that they completely destroyed ...well all the characters, but most of all Rattrap, the best character in Beast Wars(in fact most of the characters were in name only), that for the first time ever in TF media I wanted Megatron to win..I never cared much for Primal as a leader in Beast Wars but I couldn't stand him in Machines.

I just feel that there had to be SOME redeeming quality that I may have missed. It's not Beast Wars and never will be, but maybe it could have been something.

Toxi

Banned
I was thinking of giving it another shot, since I never finished it way back in the day. I mean, what I vaguely remember I remember HATING - that they didn't transform but rather..morphed, that they completely destroyed ...well all the characters, but most of all Rattrap, the best character in Beast Wars(in fact most of the characters were in name only), that for the first time ever in TF media I wanted Megatron to win..)

I just feel that there had to be SOME redeeming quality that I may have missed. It's not Beast Wars and never will be, but maybe it could have been something.
It gets better... But never gets good.

The biggest problem is the characters as you said. The core of what makes Beast Wars work is how enjoyable the character interaction is.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I see. Doesn't IDW also offer PDF/CBZ files? You can read those without problem I think by using any reader.
Just out of curiosity I tried adding the comics on the IDW site and got this during checkout:
Unfortunately, your order cannot be checked out via "Credit and Debit Card". To complete your order via "Credit and Debit Card", please remove all products in the "Transformers" category from your cart, or select a different billing country. Otherwise, select an alternative payment method.

NEO0MJ

I didn't watch Beast Machine as a kid and by the time I got older the negativity surrounding it made me hesitant to watch it.

Just out of curiosity I tried adding the comics on the IDW site and got this during checkout:

That's unfortunate. Too bad you missed out on the humble bundle, that would have probably worked.

Cheerilee

I was thinking of giving it another shot, since I never finished it way back in the day. I mean, what I vaguely remember I remember HATING - that they didn't transform but rather..morphed, that they completely destroyed ...well all the characters, but most of all Rattrap, the best character in Beast Wars(in fact most of the characters were in name only), that for the first time ever in TF media I wanted Megatron to win..I never cared much for Primal as a leader in Beast Wars but I couldn't stand him in Machines.

I remember Beast Machines eventually took a massive, steaming shit on Rhinox. Oh wait, that's not a redeeming factor, that's the exact opposite.

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't a fan of the beast modes in Beast Wars. And then Beast Machines comes along and introduces the Vehicons, and I'm like "Damn you, Monkey's Paw!"

Toxi

Banned
The only character who got more likable in Beast Machines was Cheetor.

And when the best character in your show is Cheetor, that's a pretty serious problem.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
C8WAbNG.gif

I'd love to get into Transformers again, but a quick check showed that IDW Publishing still doesn't have the comics available in Japan. Oh well, TMNT got here eventually, maybe Transformers will too.

Buy them digitally at either comiXology (they have 50% off sales often) or the next Humble Bundle that features them. Then you can read them either in your computer or your tablet. Frankly, it's my preferred method, I don't have space for physical comics anyway, and they look much more vibrant and detailed in modern screens.

Edit: Bah, didn't realize there's a new page of discussion. Ignore most of the above. Your best bet then is waiting for the next TF Comics Humble Bundle, there's been two so far and they include a massive amount of stuff (pretty much everything you need) for like 10$. I don't think Humble Store is region locked, either.

Weiss

Banned
So I know this isn't the right place but w/e; is the new ROM comic by IDW comic any good? I don't know anything about the character.

Honestly, Beast Machines deserves it. Other than its ambition and technically fantastic CGI it really has nothing going for it. It really is just bad.

So, Lost Light 3.
I'm so confused about Anode. She's supposed to be a Camien who, in the main universe, travelled to Luna 2 500 years ago. Extremely unlikely in itself, considering there has been supposedly no contact at all between the colonies and Cybertron for the past several million years (so how would a Camien know where Cybertron and Luna 2 are?). But here we learn that her functionist universe counterpart is also on that universe's Cybertron, even though offworld travel has been banned for millions of years. So she would have to have immigrated separately, at a much earlier time than her prime universe self (or perhaps sneaked into Cybertron after the ban?).
Thoughts? This being Roberts (and Anode's backstory being one of the current ontological mysteries in the comic) I'm sure he'll explain most of this in time, but it still looks like quite the chain of unlikely occurrences.

Also no Unicron-related alt form for Rung. Sorry MattKeil!

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
So, Lost Light 3.
I'm so confused about Anode. She's supposed to be a Camien who, in the main universe, travelled to Luna 2 500 years ago. Extremely unlikely in itself, considering there has been supposedly no contact at all between the colonies and Cybertron for the past several million years (so how would a Camien know where Cybertron and Luna 2 are?). But here we learn that her functionist universe counterpart is also on that universe's Cybertron, even though offworld travel has been banned for millions of years. So she would have to have immigrated separately, at a much earlier time than her prime universe self (or perhaps sneaked into Cybertron after the ban?).
Thoughts? This being Roberts (and Anode's backstory being one of the current ontological mysteries in the comic) I'm sure he'll explain most of this in time, but it still looks like quite the chain of unlikely occurrences.

The protester that dressed up as Rung from way back was also female, so I guess Functionist Cybertron already reconnected with Caminus, but yeah, Anode's whole story is really weird.

Weiss

Banned
I'm guessing the Functionists called the colonies back, or they never left at all. Or maybe they're soft-retconning the "No Female Bots" thing.

The Functionists are definitely bullshitting with Rung. They tried to kill him last time for his alt mode, and now they're praising his use? Now Rung is suddenly a giant drill tank even though Swerve could hold him in his hands?

caliph95

I'm guessing the Functionists called the colonies back, or they never left at all. Or maybe they're soft-retconning the "No Female Bots" thing.

The Functionists are definitely bullshitting with Rung. They tried to kill him last time for his alt mode, and now they're praising his use? Now Rung is suddenly a giant drill tank even though Swerve could hold him in his hands?

Though Rungs alt can be bulllshit they only praising him for political use. Rung was supposed to figurehead due to how seemingly useless his altmode and was thus inspiration to redundant transformers and the rebels as a result. To show how useful it is an attempt to demoralise the rebels.

Tizoc

I just started readin Lost Light #3 and just HAD to pause for a bit just to say that James Roberts is an amazing author.
"That...was my recollection."
YOU ONLY HAD ONE JOB WHIRL!

So, Lost Light 3.

In the issue Anode says she abandoned her post so she spent much of her life traveling through the universe without getting in touch with her home planet.
It is very likely she stumbled upon locations of Luna 2 and Cybertron during her travels.

Secondly, regarding the Functionist universe, seeing as Megatron did not rise to power, wouldn't not spending millions of years warring among themselves, they actually managed to get in touch with the other colonies earlier than the main universe?
Also the council is no doubt bullshitting the populace. Rung does not transform into a gigantic drill, nor could he be a part of that drill machine. They likely found a way to penetrate the Ununtrium and decided to take down two birds with one stone by having the whole Rung fiasco.

...but seriously though Whirl, you had one fucking job.
JUST ONE JOB!

Yeah, the whole drill thing is suspect as fuck and most likely a lie. That said, I have to wonder if the council was telling the truth when they told him they had discovered what his alt mode was for (and are hiding it and only lying to the public), or they don't and when they told him that they simply meant they were going to make it up.

Tizoc's theories about Anode make the most sense. It can't be that the colonies never left because the timeline splits with Megatron's death, which is millions of years after the exodus. So either the colonists returned to Cybertron in the time period after Megatron's death but before the council's iron grip, or the council itself found the colonies and forced them all back. The latter would be very much in line with their perception of Cybertron as a holy place and the proper place for cybertronians to live, and their fear of the rest of the universe at large.

NEO0MJ

either the colonists returned to Cybertron in the time period after Megatron's death but before the council's iron grip, or the council itself found the colonies and forced them all back.

I wouldn't be surprised that as part of their alliance with the Black Box they had them bring any colonist they find back to Cybertron. We know from Nickel's backstory that Cybertronians come in contact with other species, and sometimes the ending is not so good.

Tizoc

I wouldn't be surprised that as part of their alliance with the Black Box they had them bring any colonist they find back to Cybertron. We know from Nickel's backstory that Cybertronians come in contact with other species, and sometimes the ending is not so good.

Oh yeah good point about Nickel.
Awesome avatar btw ;)

Having had my recent set of figures a while now, here's my impressions.

Arcee - pretty cool figure, I like that she's armed to the teeth and the model is pretty accurate. Huge case of shellforming though, and her 1986 movie design clashes with the weapon freak.

Windblade - the sword is cool and she looks nice when posed. Hard to balance though, and the plane is practically unusable as a floppy mess. At $9, she will make do for now, unless I really like the comics versions.

Chromedome - A little hollow and the legs give me nightmares of Energon, but overall a nice figure with nice design and very solid G1 homage. Also, an absolute necessity to have together with Rewind.

Brainstorm - I ended up liking this figure a lot. His/Blurr's transformation is really fun and intuitive.

Swerve - small, simple but very Swerve.

Whirl - to be honest I haven't messed around with him. It's quite interesting to see such a non-standard design in modern toylines. I wonder what kids who don't know the comics made of him. For now he'll stick around in the background, and mess with Cyclonus if we get a new comics inspired version of him.

Weiss

Banned
I think I found the best way to sum up how I feel about RiD.

I love the cast, I just wish they were in a better show.

I really like that the cast at large almost views Optimus as a burden instead of Robot Jesus. They're constantly trying to get him out of harms way and putting him in non-combatant roles, and you can tell it actually makes him angry.. And Sideswipe and Strongarm being on different teams and spending the entire time talking about each other was flat out adorable.

I actually like Steeljaw as an antagonist, and it's fine that the show is going for lower stakes, but the S1 finale with Megatronus was just awful.

Oh well, maybe I'll go watch another 80s toy commercial reboot and start Voltron.

FYI, ToysRus Canada is now carrying Twinferno, Hot Rod, Breakaway and Triggerhappy. Triggerhappy is listed on the website but not for sale yet, will probably be available in 12-24 hours I guess. Get ready to buy him before he sells out fast. Breakaway is in a similar boat, listed but not for sale yet. But I doubt you'd have any trouble getting him.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
What's up with the different colored arms? Also Cyclonus got his horn repaired like four years ago!

The negative reception to a repaint of Jaegertron (Lockdown) as IDW Cyclonus caused MMC to change the paint scheme to a G1 inspired version to try and pass it off as "a" Cyclonus rather than IDW Cyclonus. G1 Cyclonus in the cartoon (usually) has different colored forearms.

zi91uFk.jpg

He does come with a two horned head, though.

sC4Folq.jpg

NEO0MJ

I'm surprised they got away with Whirl, but maybe the fandom was more understanding with that one considering how impossibility thin and long he is.

Weiss

Banned
I hope someone does a MTMTE head for the Generations Whirl. It's the only, like, super significant difference the toy has with the comic character.

My Masterpiece Grapple arrived as well. It's a great figure with a distinctly different transformation for the crane, which affects both the torso and the legs. He also somehow ended up shorter than Inferno.

I think ultimately Inferno is the better figure, but then again he's one of the top 5 Masterpieces ever. Grapple is just a very solid figure. I think that if I could choose, I would have had the toy head on him. Hmmm... I don't suppose someone with Inferno could sell a spare one?

transformers_mp_grapple1.jpg

Tizoc

So I read through Transformers Annual 2017
Whadya know seems Bumblebee is alive again, just in time for that Bumblebee movie!

NEO0MJ

Now that it's time to pay the preorder I'm having second thoughts about picking up MMC Not-Tarn. Bought too much stuff this month and don't want to go over budget.
To those who own him, just how good do you consider him?

muteki

It's a little too modern voltron/power rangers movie in proportions for me, but at least it is better than movie devastator.

Mike M

Nick N
Those movie toy pics aren't the best, but I assume Infernocus and what I guess are the Terrorcons are unpainted prototypes?

Drayco21

And another one today; this one is a remold of the new Steelbane mold they just showed off at Toyfair. My guess is this and the T30 Megatron remold are TRU exclusives- they both have hidden glyph gimmicks while the others don't, and TRU has listings for exclusive deluxes.

These awful quality pictures all look awful, here it just looks like someone threw a Steelbane in the oven and baked a battle damage "custom" out of it or something, but if the effect actually works when we see it as intended, that could be cool- I love the idea of a battered, dilapidated knight transformer, it's a cool visage, but it also requires a little effort in the paint department, so we'll see.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Those movie toy pics aren't the best, but I assume Infernocus and what I guess are the Terrorcons are unpainted prototypes?

Nope, that's what they look like. They're repaints of the TF Prime Terrorcons, although it looks like the torso bot is a new mold.

Top Bottom