• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Considering the characters from that leak are all standing together on their own display platform with key art behind them, I'd say the box set is happening.

NEO0MJ

It would be a neat trick if this new Trypticon could transform into the Nemesis.

No chance of that. But seeing this reminded me on checking out what became of Planet X's FOC Trypticon which actually did transform into the nemesis. Turns out they're splitting it into two parts for some reason. First part is out now for $180, while the second part should come within a couple of months. Looks nice, especially with all the LEDs, but I'm still not 100% sure I want it and I have no idea where to put it.

16114933_1248095568590923_6589006259998683836_n.jpg

16114493_1248095541924259_5404861164393017810_n-jpg.27676218

It'd be nice if she wasn't apparently coming in a $150 boxset with a bunch of random characters. Hopefully that leak is wrong, but they've been on the money so far.

Yeah, I really, really hope there is some way to get her otherwise. I get that Hasbro knows that most MTMTE fans are adults and therefore have more cash, but come on.

Drayco21

Optimus Primal wins the vote, Beasts 4 lyfe

Inject TLK Megatron into my veins, plus new Hound and Scorn:

Voyager Megatron and Deluxe (?) Skweeks:

Also Titans Return news:

Titan Masters Wave 2 2017 first, with a look at Ramhorn
Legends class Roadburn
Legends class Cosmos. Re-release of the previous mold?
Legends class Seaspray
Deluxe class Wave 4 was shown next. Krok, Topspin, Quake, Kup...
Deluxe Wave 5 next
Twintwist with Flame Out
Windblade with Scorchfire (new mold)
Voyager class Wave 5
Octone (correct spelling, Octone) with Murk
Blitzwing with Hazard
Blitzwing and Octone are remolds of the Wave 3 Voyager Optimus and Megatron.
LEADER CLASS OVERLORD confirmed.
Overlord's Titan Master partner is named Dreadnaught.
Speed set on show next. Name is officially confirmed as ”Chaos on Velocitron".
Includes Quickswitch, Nautica, Generation 2 Laser Prime (with burning forest sticker), Fastlane, Titan Master Rodimus Prime with diecast
Siege on Cybertron set
Includes Pounce, Metalhawk, Tidal Wave, Magnus Prime (Ginrai), Thunderwing Titan Master with diecast
Chaos on Velocitron is a TRU exclusive. Siege on Cybertron is BBTS exclusive.
Showcasing Trypticon now. Spaceship is based on the Nemesis. Has a seat in the mouth for Titan Masters. Showcased the evolution.
The chest can be opened to retrieve Titan Masters. Has multiple levels in there.
Invitation to come and ”feed" Trypticon after the presentation.

Drayco21

Yeah, Nautica's awful head really ruins the figure for me. Maybe we'll get lucky and she'll be singlepacked elsewhere down the line with another head. Not holding my breath though.

On the other end of the spectrum, new Windblade seems like a massive improvement over her awful first mold:

So I swear a new third party devastator was announced, and it looked amazing but I can't find anything about it. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Oh god, that Nautica is terribad. Hard pass even if she's one of my favorite characters. That doesn't even look like her anyway, that's Blurr with two wings glued and an ugly head. On the flip side, now I don't have to worry about that giftset.

This is quite disappointing as I was really looking forward to her, but the cynic in me already knew she would be a half assed retool. This is even below my expectations though.

That Windblade is pretty amazing though. Is it a new mold?

Edit: Windblade's alt mode in case anyone is interested. It does look like a new mold, although it's kind of funny that it has the exact same problem as her original mold, with her legs being rather conspicuous in jet mode. :)

generations-titans-return-076.jpg

Closer / higher res look at Nautica:

generations-titans-return-139.jpg

Kinda amazing that they have the balls to try to pass this as her. Pretty much the only even vaguely recognizable thing about it is the chin guard.

Windblade works amazingly well as a Titan Master because of her already kind of squarish "hairdo". Also Twin Twist looks great as you guys pointed out. Another new mold? It's hard to keep track considering the crazy deep remolds Hasbro sometimes do when they don't rubberband two puny wings to a character and call it a day.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
So, uh, check out the lower left there.

T8OBZRu.jpg

That Windblade is pretty amazing though. Is it a new mold?

Edit: Windblade's alt mode in case anyone is interested. It does look like a new mold, although it's kind of funny that it has the exact same problem as her original mold, with her legs being rather conspicuous in jet mode. :)

Windblade is a retool of TR Highbrow.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
There are so many accessories I would love for them to include.

At the very least, I want the Voyager golden disc and an alternate face with green eyes.

I'd expect the golden disc, a green eye face plus beam effect, maybe battle damage pieces a la Megatron. For super obscure scene recreation bonus points, maybe the severed Tarantulas legs from his "stalked many a victim" Hamlet paraphrase speech.

Savitar

So, uh, check out the lower left there.

T8OBZRu.jpg

Windblade is a retool of TR Highbrow.

Oh hey Dinbot!

Be nice to get a good quality version of him.

Most of the Hasbro stuff looks pretty good but still suffers from the empty arms/guns issue that drives me batty. The Japan stuff is so much better since they don't have that issue.

NEO0MJ

Overlord is looking good. Seems like a mixture of the IDW and G1 designs.

Metalhawk looks dope, though.

While I prefer MMC's offering, that Overlord's still pretty nice. Biggest flaw is that like most Headmasters his helmet looks too big for his head.

And I wish Metalhawk looked more like his IDW incarnation, I loved that design.

And Nautica is a travesty. How could they get the head so wrong?!

muteki

Hopefully they get the wings the right color on overlord. Show prototypes were painted black while official renders were gray.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wat. I have Highbrow and I don't recognize a single bit of him in her. You mean she has the same transformation scheme?

I mean Windblade is a Highbrow retool. There are no new Deluxe molds left in TR. Every single new TR Deluxe being shown at ToyFair is a retool, and Windblade is a retool of the Highbrow mold. This has been known for a while.

Hero

That new Windblade toy looks awesome. So much new stuff looks awesome. I need to be really pick with what I get though.

Overlord looks really good. Not a fan of Nautica either.

I want a new Sideswipe.

HigXx

Thought they had went downhill with AoE figures, especially the Leader Prime but TLK seems to be a step up again. Especially Megatron and Bumblebee

I mean Windblade is a Highbrow retool. There are no new Deluxe molds left in TR. Every single new TR Deluxe being shown at ToyFair is a retool, and Windblade is a retool of the Highbrow mold. This has been known for a while.

Yeah, I got your meaning, but what do they have in common? I see not one single part from Highbrow in WIndblade.

Edit: And apparently Highbrow himself is a retool of Scourge, which officially means I'm not capable of recognizing retools even when they're literally staring in my face. Hats of, HasTak.

Weiss

Banned
I've read a lot of complaints about it but Robots In Disguise is actually not that bad. I like that it's a series without Megatron and Optimus, Grimlock, Strongarm and Fixit are a lot of fun, and the cel shaded art is gorgeous.

I've read a lot of complaints about it but Robots In Disguise is actually not that bad. I like that it's a series without Megatron and Optimus, Grimlock, Strongarm and Fixit are a lot of fun, and the cel shaded art is gorgeous.

I only watched the first episode but it felt like I'm a few decades too old to be in the target demographic, more so than with Prime or Animated. However the one thing I really dislike are its toys. Animated had really great toys and some truly amazing ones (I own a large percentage of the entire line), and Prime had some pretty nice ones, but virtually all of RiD's feel cheap, oversized and super simple (when not straight autotransforming... or not transforming at all), almost like preschool toys.

This is unfortunate as it means I have no interest in three of Hasbro's four current lines (Rescue Bots, RiD, and Bayformers). Worse, often they are all you can find in local Spain shops, sometimes forcing me to import Titans Return figures that have technically released here.

Weiss

Banned
I only watched the first episode but it felt like I'm a few decades too old to be in the target demographic, more so than with Prime or Animated. However the one thing I really dislike are its toys. Animated had really great toys and some truly amazing ones (I own a large percentage of the entire line), and Prime had some pretty nice ones, but virtually all of RiD's feel cheap, oversized and super simple (when not straight autotransforming... or not transforming at all), almost like preschool toys.

This is unfortunate as it means I have no interest in three of Hasbro's four current lines (Rescue Bots, RiD, and Bayformers). Worse, often they are all you can find in local Spain shops, sometimes forcing me to import Titans Return figures that have technically released here.

It is definitely a kids show but keep in mind that Beast Wars did have that episode where Rhinox farts Megatron to death.

Cheerilee

I only watched the first episode but it felt like I'm a few decades too old to be in the target demographic, more so than with Prime or Animated.
Yeah, I watched the first two seasons of Littlest Pet Shop and found a lot more to appreciate in that show than I did in RID, which I bailed on after the mid-season break of S1, because it just felt so empty.

It is definitely a kids show but keep in mind that Beast Wars did have that episode where Rhinox farts Megatron to death.
SFDebris just reviewed that episode a couple weeks ago, and my main takeaway was that I was really hyped to watch Beast Wars again.

Something about RID just didn't click with me.

mrkgoo

The toy is fine on its own, but it just doesn't look much like the character.

*shrug* IT looks kinda like it to me. I mean, in at least the way a lot of transformers designs are pretty fluid for each character anyway.

Granted, the Titans Return line has been pretty accurate for the most Part I suppose. I don't really follow the comics much, I just like to get cool looking toys.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
If Windblade is any indication, Nautica will get a better version in a couple years, too. I just think it's encouraging that they're regularly mixing female characters into the lines now.

I actually didn't watch Beast Wars, never liked animal shellformers (ducks for cover).

To note, I'm not criticising RiD, I think it's a fine show for its age group. I just wish it also had that "adult watchability" quality that some shows like Phineas and Ferb or Steven Universe have.

If Windblade is any indication, Nautica will get a better version in a couple years, too. I just think it's encouraging that they're regularly mixing female characters into the lines now.

Very true that. We've gone from not even having a toy of Arcee to getting females regularly released.

If Nautica was released standalone I might get her to see if I can mod her to look more like herself.

Yeah, I watched the first two seasons of Littlest Pet Shop and found a lot more to appreciate in that show than I did in RID, which I bailed on after the mid-season break of S1, because it just felt so empty.

SFDebris just reviewed that episode a couple weeks ago, and my main takeaway was that I was really hyped to watch Beast Wars again.

Something about RID just didn't click with me.

I feel like with RiD they tried to break away from Prime, but the gravity of that show is just too great. I've watched every episode of RiD and really tried to give it a chance, but the best episodes always default to the ones that reference Prime in some way.

I wish Hasbro would do more to explain why seemingly every new Cybertronian in RiD is an animal/vehicle hybrid. It REALLY bugs me. Especially since I just finished Fall of Cybertron today, and they way Grimlock and the Dinobots were handled was awesome.

Tizoc

I want the next tf animated series about hot rod and co traveling through space going on adventures and shit
In other words an animated series inspired by lost light

Toxi

Banned
I actually didn't watch Beast Wars, never liked animal shellformers (ducks for cover).
Nothing wrong with that opinion, shellformers suck and a lot of the early Beast Wars toys were pretty ugly.

But quite a few of the Beast Wars toys were really damn good. Transmetal Tarantulas is one of my favorites and he still holds up well (It helps he's 100% show accurate).

BWtoy-TarantulasTransmetal.jpg

Goddamnit I forgot
I wish more third party company would tackle Beast Wars upgrade kits or retools like that recently released Optimal Optimus. A lot of the Transmetal figures could use some new headsculpts. Or how about a Transmetal Megatron figure that doesn't crumble in your hands unless you buy the JP version. Or a TM Rattrap whose backpack actually spins around, with a proper gun and bombs and that shield from his wheel rims he used that one time. Maybe when they're finally done mining G1 they'll look at Beast Wars some more, there are a lot of possibilities.

Cheerilee

I never cared for that part of the show. I was always confused as to how that worked, and the show didn't seem to have an answer... or care. It took some willful suspension of disbelief to get me to go with the flow with them on that.

And I never thought the graphics were impressive. I understood that it was technically ambitious to try and make organics with CG, but I didn't care for the end result, and I thought the show looked way better when it was dealing with robots. Fortunately the animals took a backseat in season two when the Transmetals became Hasbro's newer desire.

But I did like the way the beast modes lent themselves to short, episodic skirmishes in robot mode, with the need to transform back to beast mode and retreat to base by the time the episode was over. Something about that concept made a lot of sense to me and seemed brilliant.

Beast Wars is mostly just great for its enjoyable characters and epic cliffhangers.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I wish more third party company would tackle Beast Wars upgrade kits or retools like that recently released Optimal Optimus. A lot of the Transmetal figures could use some new headsculpts. Or how about a Transmetal Megatron figure that doesn't crumble in your hands unless you buy the JP version. Or a TM Rattrap whose backpack actually spins around, with a proper gun and bombs and that shield from his wheel rims he used that one time. Maybe when they're finally done mining G1 they'll look at Beast Wars some more, there are a lot of possibilities.

At this rate Takara will probably beat the third parties to most of that.

Mike M

Nick N
Was Beast Machines as awful as I remember or am I deluding myself?
It's not great. It was the worst TF series at the time, but then it was followed up with the first RiD-titled series, which... Wasn't great either, but it was a return to more old-school designs, so it got a bit of a pass it seems.

Then the Unicron trilogy happened, so BM was inadvertently elevated to maybe low mid-tier.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'd love to get into Transformers again, but a quick check showed that IDW Publishing still doesn't have the comics available in Japan. Oh well, TMNT got here eventually, maybe Transformers will too.

Top Bottom