• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Transgaf, how do y'all feel when cis people tell us what we should and shouldn't be upset about?

Also, I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but you might want to change the thread title slightly.
Binary trans people aren't the only kinds of trans people there are.
Unless I'm in the wrong thread and this is just meant for MTF and FTM : x

I would welcome that change. I know I'm not the only non-binary trans person who posts here.

Giruvegan

A sticky thread that dispels common myths, ignorance and misinformation on transgenders and any other minority group at risk of ignorant prejudice. This way people can't cry ignorance or opinion and get away with it.

That could be included in the first post of this OT. At least in regards to trans people.
That way if people have questions they can be referred to it instead of everyone having to stop their venting or whatever else to inform them.

Also, I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but you might want to change the thread title slightly.

That could be included in the first post of this OT. At least in regards to trans people.
That way if people have questions they can be referred to it instead of everyone having to stop their venting or whatever else to inform them.

If I recall correctly this thread is basically on it's last legs in terms of capacity and will be auto-locked once it reaches the maximum post cap, after that a new one will be created.

The problem here is that the person who originally created this thread has been perma banned since it's creation so OP updates are fairly difficult unless the admins/mods are feeling generous of course.

Transgaf, how do y'all feel when cis people tell us what we should and shouldn't be upset about?

It really depends on intent. I've had people tell me pretty ignorant things and then once I point out why they're ignorant they apologize and understand why it's a big deal, particularly when it comes to things like bathrooms this tends to happen a lot.

However, if I have people drilling me (cis or trans) on what issues I should be more concerned about based on their opinion then I tend to be a bit less patient. Something that usually comes up with people who have had really amazing transitions and privilege telling me where I should spend my limited resources on, what I should wear or how I need X,Y or Z otherwise I'll never pass their "must have" list and I'm not really trans/woman/whatever.

Sibylus

Banned
Thanks, Opiate!
bts_lina.gif

Hollycat

I've had people tell me I can't get upset over them using
tranny
and
shemale.
I told them they're the equivalent of the N word, and they just laughed it off.

"I can say whatever I want, its a free country dude"
"Would you mind not calling me dude"
"You still got your junk dude, you can't get mad about it"
-_-

Anastasia

Okay, we will see if we can moderate these issues more stringently and give people shorter leashes. Thank you for the suggestion, Anastasia

Thank you Opiate. ^^

It depends, but I try to correct them. Some people just don't understand and I think it's better to do that. The ones who are being really inflammatory though can fuck off.

Giruvegan

If I recall correctly this thread is basically on it's last legs in terms of capacity and will be auto-locked once it reaches the maximum post cap, after that a new one will be created.

The problem here is that the person who originally created this thread has been perma banned since it's creation so OP updates are fairly difficult unless the admins/mods are feeling generous of course.
Ah, okay, I understand now, thank you.
The title isn't saying that's all there is. It's just meant as a fun/humorous title.
To an outsider looking in reading the OP, I couldn't help but second guess. There's really no way around this. I'm not trying to attack you or anyone else, but considering that NB and GQ people have to fight to be heard in any capacity, including
and sometimes especially
safe spaces, you'll have to forgive me for not seeing the humor. It's been explained now, and I sincerely doubt anyone wanted to have others feel unwelcome or excluded, but I had to speak up. I don't think me doing so should be brushed off, even if the lack of inclusion wasn't done in bad faith.

It's hard enough identifying with the opposite gender, but id'ing outside ( or some combination thereof ) the binary is akin to being completely erased from society and it was jarring to see that in a thread that's dedicated to trans issues, period. I don't mean any harm, but 'it was only a joke ' is not it. I didn't say what I said to make a jab at you, your friends, or anyone else who has been here long before me. I only pointed out something that I could not help but notice. It's ( read: cissexism ) something that is perpetuated intentionally and unintentionally inside and outside of the community and lines definitely blur when you're deciding on the other party's intent.
I would welcome that change. I know I'm not the only non-binary trans person who posts here
I hate to sound so dramatic here, but, if I hadn't seen some of your posts, I wouldn't've at all.
Representation is somethin' else.
I need to process when and how I'm going to bring it up with them later.
I do my best not to respond immediately, usually. Otherwise my explanation won't come out nicely : s

Beth Cyra

I would welcome that change. I know I'm not the only non-binary trans person who posts here.
I honestly don't know how to react to that.

Then again I wouldn't like that from trains people either. We are each so unique that it is bad for any person to try and say what we should or shouldn't be upset about be they Cis or otherwise.

kaye

Banned
Why was Lexi banned?

I agree that this thread, and the next one, should be more inclusive of non-binary identities. I think this one has run it's course tbh.

Beth Cyra

Why was Lexi banned?

I agree that this thread, and the next one, should be more inclusive of non-binary identities. I think this one has run it's course tbh.
Most often we don't ask about banning info, it's best to take that to a mod in pm.

I'm all about inclusivity, I think m any one who has spent time with me knows this bit I doNY see a single issue with the thread title.

It's a small and good natured joke and shows while this is serious we are not above being light heated and welcoming. Like the LBGT thread doesn't have Gravity Sexual and every listing under the sun nor should any thread title need that.

However I am not the one picked for OT2 so if the next OT feels it should be changed then please no Unicorn in the title :)

Platy

Why was Lexi banned?

When everyone in transgaf is banned my bet is always on random transphobic comment made the person goes berserk on personal atacks or atacking mods for not banning the person

Dai101

Banned
It's a small and good natured joke and shows while this is serious we are not above being light heated and welcoming.

This. I'm not trans but i've always feeling welcomed here, and the first thing that caught my attention was the thread title. Now years after that initial reaction and having read and learned a lot of it i'm glad and want to thank to all the wonderful people that post and has posted here and above all for letting me being a minuscule part of this community.

When everyone in transgaf is banned my bet is always on random transphobic comment made the person goes berserk on personal atacks or atacking mods for not banning the person

Holy shit!! In all my time here this is the first time i've seen you change avatar.

I think it was a fine title for 2010. It's just that we've come so far in our discourse over the last five years that it's starting to seem like something that doesn't reinforce stereotypes and trans people and the gender binary might be a good look for now. At least to me.

Holy shit!! In all my time here this is the first time i've seen you change avatar.

Whoa! That's a striking avatar, I didn't realize it was Platy carrying it. I wonder where it's from. It's similar to but not the same as the Yoshi Doll in Link's Awakening. Maybe something from a Picross game? ~speculation~

Platy

Whoa! That's a striking avatar, I didn't realize it was Platy carrying it. I wonder where it's from. It's similar to but not the same as the Yoshi Doll in Link's Awakening. Maybe something from a Picross game? ~speculation~

xD

The old one was a pixel art drawing that I did of my platypus character... cosplaying megaman after he was announced in smash and then using X colors for the day of future past hype.
It kinda had to go =P

So now I have a Yarn Yoshi costume from Mario maker in the colors of my platypus character !

regular yoshi costume :
hIG1jyg.png

yarn amiibo yoshi costume :
qgWkG8z.png

Dai101

Banned
xD

The old one was a pixel art drawing that I did of my platypus character... cosplaying megaman after he was announced in smash and then using X colors for the day of future past hype.
It kinda had to go =P

So now I have a Yarn Yoshi costume from Mario maker in the colors of my platypus character !

regular yoshi costume :
hIG1jyg.png

qgWkG8z.png

mmmm

hmmmmm

xVtG8Lp.gif

xD

It kinda had to go =P

regular yoshi costume :
hIG1jyg.png

qgWkG8z.png

<3 Ahhhh that's so cute! Mario Maker looks so good. I've been dipping my toes into X3: Terran Conflict, lately, and it's kind of terrifyingly attractive.

forms

Haven't posted here as much as I want to, I always think things through at night and then I just forget about them. Still, it may be good for me as some form of pressure release just to know that you people exist.

As the parent of a transsexual teen I just hope all of you stay strong.

Reishiki

Banned
Yes <3! Kingdom's End made my jaw drop the first time I arrived.

Kingdom End is easily the best sector in the game. The only things that might come close are
Aldrin
and pre-Albion Prelude
Earth

Do you have any thoughts on X3: Albion Prelude? It came in the pack and I'm thinking of switching up to it and trying the x360 controls.

Albion Prelude is the one I prefer to fire up and play as it contains the final state of the X universe before X-Rebirth blew most of it up, so it contains the largest playable area. The plot is pretty passable at this point, but might be worth going through if you've done the plot up to this point.

Kingdom End is easily the best sector in the game. The only things that might come close are
Aldrin
and pre-Albion Prelude
Earth

Albion Prelude is the one I prefer to fire up and play as it contains the final state of the X universe before X-Rebirth blew most of it up, so it contains the largest playable area. The plot is pretty passable at this point, but might be worth going through if you've done the plot up to this point.

I'm so smitten with X3. It's the best thing I never knew I needed in my life.

I was demonstrating emulation and TATE mode for a friend and was fortunate enough to snap this fun picture (titled 'A little queer solo action with a toy').

Beth Cyra

I think it was a fine title for 2010. It's just that we've come so far in our discourse over the last five years that it's starting to seem like something that doesn't reinforce stereotypes and trans people and the gender binary might be a good look for now. At least to me.

Fair enough.

If others feel the same, then I say go for it. The old thread title doesnt make the content inside, so if it would make others feel more inclusive and maybe reach out to more people then it should indeed be changed.

Maybe I'm just getting in that grandma range and am shouting at the clouds by defending the old title. It never hurts to feel more inclusive and make others feel better bout entering either for the first time or the 1000th.

I'm a bit late on chiming in and I don't really post here much these days, but I agree that the current thread title is problematic and can be read as excluding non-binary folk. I mean, I get that it's intending to be playful and not aiming to harm, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved. I'd certainly be behind that.

And, for the record, the thread is only about halfway to the post count cap so it's probably not going to be ending because of that any time soon.

Platy

Okay, we will see if we can moderate these issues more stringently and give people shorter leashes. Thank you for the suggestion, Anastasia.

Closing every trans thread after a few pages because "We've already established this is a conversation the forum doesn't seem prepared to have." seems a little extreme opossite with the "we want to educate people" idea.

I wanted to talk about the metroid thing =(

Opiate

Closing every trans thread after a few pages because "We've already established this is a conversation the forum doesn't seem prepared to have." seems a little extreme opossite with the "we want to educate people" idea.

I got multiple complaints about that thread, and it looked to me that the people who were going to learn already had done so. Don't worry, Metroid will come up again.

Platy

Maybe we should make a Vivian thread first and then a Poison thread and THEEEEN after we all stabilished the transness and canon/how suit dudes hates to talk about this THEN we might discuss metroid ? =P

Amalthea

Banned
I have a small additional surgery tomorrow. My limbs feel like jelly already but I still have to tidy up some stuff at home... &#128565;

Glancing at what ended up in the thread and the article in question, I don't think there was really that much to talk about. Maybe you could discuss people making assumptions based on childhood gender presentation but that's not really a Samus or gaming related topic.

I have a small additional surgery tomorrow. My limbs feel like jelly already but I still have to tidy up some stuff at home... &#55357;&#56885;

Good luck!

Hollycat

I had my Official final Name change two days ago!
Nothing could ruin that day, but the guy at the DMV sure kept trying.
"Please don't say he, I use female pronouns."
"Haha sure Man"
It went on like that for quite a while. You would think the name change and my request would be enough.

Whatever. Got my name change, got my new drivers license, got an awesome burger, got some new forms from my HRT doctor, and then I got to go get tied up.

Over all, one of the best days of my life.

Dai101

Banned
"Haha sure Man"
It went on like that for quite a while. You would think the name change and my request would be enough.

Whatever. Got my name change, got my new drivers license, got an awesome burger, got some new forms from my HRT doctor, and then I got to go get tied up.

Would you say....

3MB4fFh.gif

?

CONGRATS!!!

Beth Cyra

"Haha sure Man"

Yay for name change :)

Sorry for the butt face :(

So I was just told by my mom that I am sick, and that I need to be fixed right away.

It's okay, nothing a few years of HRT and boobs can't fix. :)

I'm so sorry, sadly there are still people out there with an archaic thought process. I sincerely hope she changes her mind and chooses to become a constructive part of her daughter's life.

Just remember that you are not alone anymore Ice, we're here for you.

Top Bottom