• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor |OT| Super Giant Sword

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not mine:

Not that hard - but you have to go a little through recursion.

Wow. Yeah, mine was just going for Everything() so I wasn't actually putting too much effort into it and I figured someone could top it, but that's just insane.

MartyStu

So much wasted potential.

The funky menus, the pacing, the obliqueness and the light story/characters would all have been excusable if I thought the game had anything to day.

It does not.

Still, I loved it. I would love to see more of this world.

Grief.exe

No, they had to retreat to their base due to the Process becoming out of control after they lost the Transistor. Asher says they locked themselves in there at one point.

This was a mystery to me as well, something obviously happened as soon as the Transistor impacted Red's boyfriend. Maybe their best laid plans suddenly shifted once the Transistor shifted allegiances to someone noble enough to sacrifice themselves.
Ownership of the transistor was lost during the attack on Red, which is probably what made the process go crazy.

Yes, but the question is why?

Yuterald

I think the combat is interesting/cool in this game, but I can't for the life of me give a shit about the story/setting for some reason. Between the OVC Terminals and the backstory locked away behind your skills, I just have like zero desire to read up on/follow what's going on in this game's world. Maybe it's the pacing or something, I don't know. I sort of just like that backdoor beach/base area with all the cool challenge rooms lol!

Lemondish

The funky menus, the pacing, the obliqueness and the light story/characters would all have been excusable if I thought the game had anything to day.

It does not.

I thought it had a lot to say. I'll ask a few questions though to see if you didn't just miss the cues...

Did you catch glimpses of the 'ghosts' of Red? Did you ever consider what the intentions and motivations were for the Camerata's actions? Did you think about what the Country means to this world? Do you know what Recursion means? What do you think "when everything changes, nothing changes" means?

I think this game has a lot to say if you're asking the right questions. I also think it leaves enough room for each individual to interpret it as they see fit.

teokrazia

I think the combat is interesting/cool in this game, but I can't for the life of me give a shit about the story/setting for some reason. Between the OVC Terminals and the backstory locked away behind your skills, I just have like zero desire to read up on/follow what's going on in this game's world.

My exact feelings.

hydruxo

The art design, soundtrack & aesthetics of this game are truly incredible but the story is just not very good. I wanted to care about the story but the way they told it was just so boring and uninteresting. The Cammerata (sp?) were lame too. That's really my only major complaint though and that being said I enjoyed the ending alot. I'd love to see more of this gameplay system in the future.

MartyStu

I thought it had a lot to say. I'll ask a few questions though to see if you didn't just miss the cues...

Did you catch glimpses of the 'ghosts' of Red? Did you ever consider what the intentions and motivations were for the Camerata's actions? Did you think about what the Country means to this world? Do you know what Recursion means? What do you think "when everything changes, nothing changes" means?

I think this game has a lot to say if you're asking the right questions. I also think it leaves enough room for each individual to interpret it as they see fit.

Those things are why I explicitly brought that point up. The game sure THINKS it has some profundity to bestow upon the player, but pretty much any symbolism, or argument it makes is just surface level.

Damn shame too
because the laconic, languid pace of the first 80% of the game seemed like it wanted to open a discussion on existential ennui and perhaps the folly externalizing the definition of the self.

Lemondish

Those things are why I explicitly brought that point up. The game sure THINKS it has some profundity to bestow upon the player, but pretty much any symbolism, or argument it makes is just surface level.

Damn shame too
because the laconic, languid pace of the first 80% of the game seemed like it wanted to open a discussion on existential ennui and perhaps the folly externalizing the definition of the self.

I must have played a different game because the first 20% was what I would have described as languid and laconic. It felt like the last 80% went by in a flash.

As to what the game has to say, I think I have tendency to gravitate towards properties that don't try and hold your hand when it comes to telling their story. I don't mean that as an insult, there's certainly some level of 'piloting' that I approve of in a story, but only as long as it doesn't actively treat me like an idiot. In any case, sometimes this method makes the story appear as if there's no substance behind the message, but I think that's the draw - you find your own substance. To me, the game was phenomenal, and I'm still playing through it on Recursion to Plat the thing. In so doing, I'm being pushed into areas of narrative that I hadn't previously experienced. What I'm finding there is mother fuckin' tasty.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm really trying to like this game, but for some reason I just can't get into it.

I'm going to look for some skill combinations/recommendations, because I'm finding the whole thing to be a slog.

dralla

Finished this yesterday and started my NG+. Love the way it looks and sounds and the combat is great, I'd like to see other games borrow some of it's combat systems. Not sure how I feel about the story yet, I think I need to finish it again. I do know I'm not a huge fan of the narrator in this game, or the talking Transistor I should say. He talks too much and maybe this was done purposely since he's in the sword now, but his voice is so emotionless so a lot of the story bits fall a bit flat. It was also disappointing
that the last few areas were retreads through earlier areas, only with all the colors removed.

Lemondish

Finished this yesterday and started my NG+. Love the way it looks and sounds and the combat is great, I'd like to see other games borrow some of it's combat systems. Not sure how I feel about the story yet, I think I need to finish it again. I do know I'm not a huge fan of the narrator in this game, or the talking Transistor I should say. He talks too much and maybe this was done purposely since he's in the sword now, but his voice is so emotionless so a lot of the story bits fall a bit flat. It was also disappointing
that the last few areas were retreads through earlier areas, only with all the colors removed.

I get what you mean in your spoiler tag, but let's not lose sight of the fact that Supergiant Games is really only like 10 people.

MartyStu

I must have played a different game because the first 20% was what I would have described as languid and laconic. It felt like the last 80% went by in a flash.

You misunderstand. I refer to the general mood and plotting. Given then events that are unfolding, there SHOULD be a greater sense of urgency.

Hell, aside from the transistor, all the characters speak in a slow, measured, and even pace.

dralla

I get what you mean in your spoiler tag, but let's not lose sight of the fact that Supergiant Games is really only like 10 people.

I know, but the game is very short.
And by removing the color they essentially removed the beautiful aesthetic of the game, which is one of its biggest strengths.

Wunder

People didn't like the Camerata? I thought all of 'em were great, would have liked to
at least meet Grant Kendrell but I guess that was part of his nature.

In the game Royce made it sound like Grant came to him, but in the bios it sounds like Royce found the Process and then went to Grant to explain his plan.

Although there is a lot of information, I still feel that there are a few things that are simply unexplained or don't have enough context.

breakfuss

Man. From the reviews and footage I did not think I was going to enjoy this the combat/function system, but it's brilliant. Loving all the combinations and passive effects. A bit overwhelming at first.

Foshy

Just beat it. Took about 6-7 hours, absolutely loved everything about it except that the story was a bit unclear in parts
(I don't think I caught everything about what the Camerata was actually doing)
. Graphics, soundtrack and atmosphere were all amazing.

And the battle system. Absolutely great, even if it got quite easy towards the end when you figure out some deadly combinations. The last boss fight kinda made me want a 1v1 online multiplayer mode.

I'll go through recursion mode with all limiters on later to get the Platinum trophy, it'll probably get more challenging too.

Conezays

Finishing it didn't really improve my thoughts on the game. The gameplay and the story/style of the game just didn't work for me. Glad others are enjoying it.

Moze

Banned
Yes. Cells are top priority stuff. Especially if you have the limiter that multiplies the cells dropped.

Thanks. I like how the game started without all the crap that usually comes with games, but they could have at least included a manual in the menu or something.

Kid Ska

Okay, all 10 limiters is tough. I think you really have to pick your battles for this one.

Love the art-style, love the music, and love the look of the menu, but I'm having hard time establishing a rhythm with this game. I enjoy Turn(), but I thought it would be more optional than it is. Enemies move and attack so fast, and some enemies will just straight up dodge your heavy attacks unless done in Turn() mode that it feels mandatory, and not only mandatory but *the* primary mode to use. I didn't expect that.

With that mode as primary I just haven't been able to click with moving between Turn() and the cooldown. In cooldown I feel weak, and slow, and I'm usually running away for all or most of that time. I can switch up functions to get more use out of real-time, but at a rather large cost to my capabilities in Turn(), and for not much benefit when the real meat is in Turn() mode. The top heavy hodge-podge between these two modes of play doesn't feel intuitive.

I've got a lot of disparate thoughts after a few hours of starting and restarting the game. In no particular order:

* The death penalty is to have one of your functions removed. This I don't understand one bit - so if a player is having a hard time with a boss or encounter, the idea is to make it even harder? So after that boss depletes your heath bar because you couldn't seem to get enough distance from their attacks the game decides to remove your Jaunt(). That's a real morale crusher right there. I don't get it.

* Sometimes when plotting moves in Turn(), like lining up a Breach to hit several targets, the UI blocks the visuals of the battle space so I can't see if I have that third enemy lined up or not. Turn() mode could use some more controls to shift perspective, or to make player and enemy outlines appear over the environment, and to help plot out moves like Bounce()

* Jaunt() seems fickle in Turn(). I had it upgraded with area effect explosive damage so I was trying to properly aim my jaunts precisely to get maximum damage, but I'd always end up placed somewhere other than my target position, and even if I ended up right next to an enemy sometimes the area effect damage wouldn't fire, or if it did I'd only see the damage numbers on one enemy and not another at the same distance. Don't know why.

Speaking of not firing, sometimes I'd line up a Breach in Turn() but when it actually fired off the enemy would have moved out of the way of the shot entirely. Other times, even against the same enemies in motion, Breach would continue to track to their new location and hit them any way. It seemed very inconsistent.

When viewing your current loadout of functions, is there a way to see each slot's full and combined function data? Like when you're first placing a function you see damage numbers and range and cost, and when you place upgrades you see any additions or modifications to those numbers. But after actually slotting functions and upgrades I haven't been able to see those numbers again laid out anywhere for what I have currently slotted. So if I want to see the range and cost of Crash+Breach, can I only see this data when I'm in the process of slotting them? Or is there another information panel that lays out all of your current and combined effects that I'm missing somewhere?

Is there a way to determine where a bounce ability will actually bounce in Turn() mode outside of lining up a shot and reversing and trying it again and again?

I wish that slotting abilities came with a test chamber to see how things could play out against enemies. The weird thing is, this game doesn't really offer much room for experimentation of your acquired abilities outside of Turn() - there aren't enough "trash mobs" you'd find in other games that give you quality time to learn your moves - each battle is a very specifically laid out encounter, and they don't seem to be immediately replayable (to try different approaches or loadouts), so its just a relentless push forward with new abilities and trials, but not much actual play.

I don't know - such a gorgeous game with so many combinations means that I'll continue to try and crack the puzzle here. Have already restarted from scratch four or five times because I've felt like I was doing it completely wrong each time. I figured I'd start over from a new perspective and have those early battles to do again to experiment and reinforce things. Hopefully it all comes together at some point, because at the moment my experience in game has been as scattered as this post.

aY227

Okay, all 10 limiters is tough. I think you really have to pick your battles for this one.

Nope... Void + Tap + Purge & play in real time.
You may also use some passives for defence and mask for that stealth.

But bassicly combo of Void/Tap/Purge makes You immortal (as long as You wont try to tank Haircuts - just kill and run away from blast)

P.S It makes a combat really boring :/

EDIT: And jesus... for 10 limiters play please, please put Get() as passive :)

Einbroch

Banned
Challenges in Transistor >>>>>>>>> challenges in Bastion. Honestly, my favorites parts of this game were the challenges. Gave me a real Phantom Dust vibe.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I just beat the first boss and hit the first challenge room. The combat isn't fully clicking with me because death results in you losing an ability which feels like an unfair handicap rather than just restarting the fight upon death. Should I stick with it?

David___

Banned
I just beat the first boss and hit the first challenge room. The combat isn't fully clicking with me because death results in you losing an ability which feels like an unfair handicap rather than just restarting the fight upon death. Should I stick with it?

Pause -> Retry. Puts you back to the last Access Point you went to, which is usually seconds before a fight.

Mikey Jr.

But bassicly combo of Void/Tap/Purge makes You immortal (as long as You wont try to tank Haircuts - just kill and run away from blast)

Ok, wow, you were not kidding.

Arkanius

Didn't really enjoy the story on this one compared to Bastion
But the gameplay, artstyle, and everything else was 100x more enjoyable than Bastion. Loved every second of the combat.

Bravo Supergiant.
Also, you have another hit with In Circles. Fantastic track. It resonated with me after the Sybil fight.

Challenges in Transistor >>>>>>>>> challenges in Bastion. Honestly, my favorites parts of this game were the challenges. Gave me a real Phantom Dust vibe.

I'm inclined to agree. I really enjoyed the challenges in Transistor, moreso than most of the game. Bastion's challenges by comparison felt very slow and boring, but I suppose that's as much a symptom of the gameplay as anything.

Kid Ska

EDIT: And jesus... for 10 limiters play please, please put Get() as passive :)

Hmm, okay that sounds like a solid strategy. I was using Void() -> Cull() with Ping() + Jaunt() + Breach() to deal with Badcells and Haircuts in real time. I was thinking of Get() as a passive but would it pull in corrupted Cells?

Blades64

Banned
Love the art-style, love the music, and love the look of the menu, but I'm having hard time establishing a rhythm with this game. I enjoy Turn(), but I thought it would be more optional than it is. Enemies move and attack so fast, and some enemies will just straight up dodge your heavy attacks unless done in Turn() mode that it feels mandatory, and not only mandatory but *the* primary mode to use. I didn't expect that.

With that mode as primary I just haven't been able to click with moving between Turn() and the cooldown. In cooldown I feel weak, and slow, and I'm usually running away for all or most of that time. I can switch up functions to get more use out of real-time, but at a rather large cost to my capabilities in Turn(), and for not much benefit when the real meat is in Turn() mode. The top heavy hodge-podge between these two modes of play doesn't feel intuitive.

I've got a lot of disparate thoughts after a few hours of starting and restarting the game. In no particular order:

* The death penalty is to have one of your functions removed. This I don't understand one bit - so if a player is having a hard time with a boss or encounter, the idea is to make it even harder? So after that boss depletes your heath bar because you couldn't seem to get enough distance from their attacks the game decides to remove your Jaunt(). That's a real morale crusher right there. I don't get it.

* Sometimes when plotting moves in Turn(), like lining up a Breach to hit several targets, the UI blocks the visuals of the battle space so I can't see if I have that third enemy lined up or not. Turn() mode could use some more controls to shift perspective, or to make player and enemy outlines appear over the environment, and to help plot out moves like Bounce()

* Jaunt() seems fickle in Turn(). I had it upgraded with area effect explosive damage so I was trying to properly aim my jaunts precisely to get maximum damage, but I'd always end up placed somewhere other than my target position, and even if I ended up right next to an enemy sometimes the area effect damage wouldn't fire, or if it did I'd only see the damage numbers on one enemy and not another at the same distance. Don't know why.

Speaking of not firing, sometimes I'd line up a Breach in Turn() but when it actually fired off the enemy would have moved out of the way of the shot entirely. Other times, even against the same enemies in motion, Breach would continue to track to their new location and hit them any way. It seemed very inconsistent.

When viewing your current loadout of functions, is there a way to see each slot's full and combined function data? Like when you're first placing a function you see damage numbers and range and cost, and when you place upgrades you see any additions or modifications to those numbers. But after actually slotting functions and upgrades I haven't been able to see those numbers again laid out anywhere for what I have currently slotted. So if I want to see the range and cost of Crash+Breach, can I only see this data when I'm in the process of slotting them? Or is there another information panel that lays out all of your current and combined effects that I'm missing somewhere?

Is there a way to determine where a bounce ability will actually bounce in Turn() mode outside of lining up a shot and reversing and trying it again and again?

I wish that slotting abilities came with a test chamber to see how things could play out against enemies. The weird thing is, this game doesn't really offer much room for experimentation of your acquired abilities outside of Turn() - there aren't enough "trash mobs" you'd find in other games that give you quality time to learn your moves - each battle is a very specifically laid out encounter, and they don't seem to be immediately replayable (to try different approaches or loadouts), so its just a relentless push forward with new abilities and trials, but not much actual play.

I don't know - such a gorgeous game with so many combinations means that I'll continue to try and crack the puzzle here. Have already restarted from scratch four or five times because I've felt like I was doing it completely wrong each time. I figured I'd start over from a new perspective and have those early battles to do again to experiment and reinforce things. Hopefully it all comes together at some point, because at the moment my experience in game has been as scattered as this post.

You pretty much sum up my feelings about the game so far. Especially the part about Turn() feeling mandatory. I thought there would be an option to play the game in real time if you wanted, but that's simply not a viable way of playing the game. You will lose.

Beautiful game, and the soundtrack is really nice, but nothing has happened in the story yet that has really captured my attention, and the Function combinations can be fun, but I really wish that you could be able to play in real time if you'd like. It seems like the enemies have precise aim whenever not in Turn() mode.

Maybe I'm just missing something with the combat because it seems like everybody else is really enjoying it.

Grief.exe

The theory is you have whittled enough of the enemy's health down to limp to the finish line and live to fight another day.

I used that a couple times, but most of the time I would just restart the encounter and try something new.

Sorry if this has already been covered in the thread, but is anyone else having an issue with the PS4 version, where every few seconds, the full display of the game shifts to the left, and a green bar is briefly displayed on the right? Totally taking me out of the game. Thanks, guys.

Shockingly, this isn't clicking for me. It's still quite early, though, and I'm hopeful it does because it looks amaaaaaazing (esp on Vita remote play).

Are you me?? That almost perfectly sums up my feelings about the game so far. I never feel like I'm doing it 'right', and combat feels off somehow. I haven't clicked with anything related to the gameplay itself yet, which is disappointing. It's still early but I get the feeling this is one of those games where I keep waiting for the 'aha!' moment until after it's over. The music is fantastic, though.

Just completed it. Wonderful game. it did feel as if the combat was getting pretty easy towards the end, so I'll be playing through again will all the limiters on!

The ending was great too, I literally gasped when Red sat down next to her boyfriend & threw the Transistor into herself. The feelsssss

Trey

People having the void + whatever revelation tickles me. It's all "welcome to heaven, brehs."

Then game will click to the point you're in real time more than turn. Just keep experimenting.

Stoze

The funky menus, the pacing, the obliqueness and the light story/characters would all have been excusable if I thought the game had anything to say.

It does not.

This sums up a lot of my disappointment with the game. The difference is those things aren't excusable to me, and I don't care if the game has something to say or not.

I actually really enjoyed the challenge rooms. I think they showed the gameplay can be pretty brilliant when encounters are designed around the skills, and when they give you more time to fight enemies. The problem is during the actual progression of the game there's a horrible pacing of shoving constant levels and new abilities down your throat every 3 short, similar enemy encounters. All the while you're trying to mix new ones to try them out together and to read the function descriptions (which all boil down to the same thing and end up not that interesting) so you never have time to get to know a combination you might really like. This also has the side effect of making me spend more time in the awful menu UI instead of playing the game. It needed more, longer encounters that were more varied, and perhaps not de-spawning enemy encounters (could replay them without exp), and a manual save system to truly let you sink your feet in with the gameplay. A problem I had with the core gameplay itself is that Red is stiff, slugglish, and inaccurate in real time. It didn't matter if I was jaunting and moving at 200% speed, stopping every time I have to attack and missing constantly with attacks just made me prefer to make my builds around Turn().

The storytelling and dialogue were sub par and frankly pretty boring, I'd get into detail about that but I felt the writing at it's core wasn't very good which permeated through the story and bland characters. Even after all that I still quite enjoyed the game. The gameplay was just fun enough to carry me through despite my complaints, though I don't know if I feel like finishing Recursion(). The mix and match system is something else, and as I said before the challenge rooms are great. The art, sound design, soundtrack, and worldbuilding/concept of cloudbank were all exceptional. I'm not kidding when I say this is one of the most beautiful games I've seen and heard. It took me a bit longer to beat it mainly because I would just spend time doing nothing while basking in the incredible music and art. So all in all it was pretty good, it's just disappointing to have the ball dropped on the pacing, writing, and story while everything else is good to amazing.

Trey

Transistor's plot is very surface level, but I liked that. What you see is what you get, it's very honest in that respect.

Top Bottom