• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling with an Xbox One, and using it in the hotel room?

I've been traveling a lot for work, and I once again have to go out of town for 3 days.

Do you guys have experience/advice for taking a system with you?

1) Should I take it on board the airplane with me? Is security cool about it?
2) Is the hotel room wi-fi usually good enough to get online? Is it easy to get it going?
3)Should I just forget it, and its too much of a hassle?

Macstorm

I've flown with my 360 once and it wasn't too bad. I don't trust the airlines enough to check it, so I did carry on and just had to take the system out like you would a laptop.

Hotel WiFi can be spotty for connecting due to the way some make you register via the web before getting online, so I'm not sure how the Xbox One will work in that case.

So if you don't mind the extra weight and hassle of carrying and protecting the system, go for it.

Soulflarz

Banned
1) You can take a console on a plane. Just check the bag anyways, it's large, just put it in one.
2) Depends on the hotel. Nothing we can say either way on this.
3) In my opinion, it's a huge hassle compared to just taking a 3ds or vita, so I wouldn't suggest it without good reason. I've done it for 10 day vacations with kids who I knew would want to play it, but I would never bring one for a 3 day trip.

Certinty

Wouldn't bother given how big it is and that's not even including the power brick.

I take my PS4 with me when I travel sometimes but would never take my Xbox One, just too much of a hassle.

The Argus

I'd say it's not worth the effort and possibility of it breaking. Some hotels don't allow any extra HDMI inputs (sealed off) on their TVs and I'm sure you know hotel Wifi is generally hot garbage.

Pejo

I was considering bringing my PS4 on a week long trip in a few weeks, but ultimately decided I'll just bring my Vita and do remote play. I feel like it's too much trouble to bring a console on a business trip. Definitely not going to be able to raid in Destiny on a Vita though, guess I'll live!

MrGerbils

I always do this when I travel for work for more than 3 days.

I never check it, because I don't trust it won't break banging around in the cargo hold, not matter how much clothes I wrap around it. So I put it in a bag for the overhead bin and carry it on. Airport security will make you remove it from your bag like its a laptop. A little annoying but so is everything at the airport.

Hotel wifi is good enough to connect to games that require an online check, but rarely good enough to actually play online multiplayer.

Some hotels make it a bit of a pain to get to a TVs hdmi port, but usually it's not a problem.

Have fun! I think it's way worth it, because sitting in a empty hotel room at night many nights in a row can be so lonely.

I was at two different hotels last week for work (Hilton and Holiday) and I brought my Xbox One. I could not connect to Wi-Fi at all, so I just played some Halo campaigns instead of multiplayer. I'm sure there is some way but it probably won't be too easy.

My colleague does it each week when we travel.

He carries it as a carry on. You'll get stopped and searched but other than that you'll be good.

Hotel wifi is a no go. He had to use the ethernet cord to his laptop and use connectify to use the laptop's connection via wifi.

jaxpunk

I've been traveling a lot for work, and I once again have to go out of town for 3 days.

Do you guys have experience/advice for taking a system with you?

1) Should I take it on board the airplane with me? Is security cool about it?
2) Is the hotel room wi-fi usually good enough to get online? Is it easy to get it going?
3)Should I just forget it, and its too much of a hassle?

1- Xbox is huge, though seriously it's heavy.
2- Hotel wifi is spotty at best. Most require a webpage to login to. Did they change xbox IE requiring gold to launch? Could be a hassle getting it going.
3- Yes it's a giant hassle, it's 3 days dude you'll manage without. I would take it on week long trips that I drove to the customers site. I still occasionally left it.

4? - Some hotel tvs are garbage and don't have hdmi ports on the back.

EvB

Last time I took my Xbox one away, I really regretted it. It took up my whole suitcase AND security made me unpack it all because they viewed it as a computer

And unless you are familiar with MAC address changing shenanigans, getting on hotel wifi can be a hassle

Appleman

Tons of hotels now software-lock their HDMI ports from working, sometimes you can bypass it but sometimes not.

3 days is absolutely not worth it

I've tried multiple times and have no luck connecting to hotel Wifi with my X1. If you have a hotspot that it works with go for it but don't count on the hotel wifi.

Overside

Banned
I used to travel a lot and take a game system with me.

Usually it was my ps2, because it fit so well in the bottom pouch of my suit bag.

I would wrap it in the towels I would bring, and have a couple games gamesand all the cables in the pouch.

That ps2 is retired from traveling now, but it still works.

I wouldnt suggest an xbox one, especially with the unreliable wifi of hotels.

Wii u is amazing for traveling, its just damn stupid convenient.

shockdude

For security you have to take the Xbox out of your bag as if it were a laptop, but other than that (and the luggage space the console takes up), traveling should be fine.
Hotel wifi is usually pretty bad. Some hotels have Ethernet connections, so use that if you can
It's up to you if it's worth the hassle.

This is why gaming laptops are great haha.

asocirev

I travel for work as well and usually stay in Hilton brand hotels ( Hampton Inn etc...). As far as hotel connectivity here is some info that I had to look up online:

You may have to use the XB1 alternative MAC address to get online, internet explorer won't load the hotel's auto registering webpage when you initially connect to their WIFI. I use my work laptop to connect to the hotels Internet first, write down the laptop's WIFI MAC address and then disconnect it. Boot up the XB, under network setup use alternative MAC address and enter my laptops MAC address. One more XB1 reboot and it gets online.

A bit of a warning: your NAT translation is spotty at best and I have had issues getting achievements and some social functions to work correctly. Of course this is totally dependent on what hotel brand of Internet you are using.

I have even stayed at a hotel where they give you a 1-800 number for tech support and asked the guy to open up my IP address for me so I could play online games. Good thing he gamed as well and hooked me up :)

see5harp

Most hotels I've been to have those weird gateways like in Starbucks where it opens the internet explorer and has you accept terms and conditions. For whatever reason I couldn't figure out how to get it working with the PS4. For 3 days, I think you should just take a break and read a book.

TSA makes you take the console out of your bag of its in a carry on. Same deal as laptops.

If you have TSA pre-check you won't need to though

1) You can take a console on a plane. Just check the bag anyways, it's large, just put it in one.
2) Depends on the hotel. Nothing we can say either way on this.
3) In my opinion, it's a huge hassle compared to just taking a 3ds or vita, so I wouldn't suggest it without good reason. I've done it for 10 day vacations with kids who I knew would want to play it, but I would never bring one for a 3 day trip.
I'm going to strongly disagree with putting electronics in checked bags. Between sketchy employees stealing items and handling bags so poorly, it's likely t will either get stolen or broken.

My co-worker just had his laptop screen smashed last trip by checking it and the airline reused to take ownership for it. In the fine print it says they are not responsible for damage to electronics.

Put it in your carry on, it should fit easily in a backpack, I've done it

21XX

Banned
Three days? Jeesh, leave that sucker at home. Are you going somewhere you've never been? Get out and see the place. Even if it's just a dingy bar/coffee shop in some little town, you'll have a better experience than sitting in a hotel room.

cakely

Ouch. That thing is big and the power supply is just another kick to the jimmy.

Got any portable games you can play instead?

etta

my hard graphic balls
Just stock up on some great iPad games. Three days is too short of a time to consider the hassle.

Shadders

I've done this. Take it in your hand luggage and tell them at baggage check-in that you have it with you.

I couldn't connect to hotel wifi, but could tether it to my phone and use 4G.

Or, I dunno, buy a 3DS or something.

Wonko_C

Go for Number 3) Don't risk getting your system stolen or broken. That's what handhelds/mobiles are for.

Z_Y

I've tried a couple of times but have never been able to play mp in a hotel. I've spoofed the MAC address of my phone and connected to Live or PSN but never been able to do anything more. Google-fu'ing the error codes always pointed me in the direction of something upstream blocking traffic.

I've done it before with my ps4. I just put it in my backpack and carried it on with me. You will have to take it out at security. The wifi at the hotel I was at was ok but bring an Ethernet cable, it will work better. Every time I have done it I have had to call the front desk to have someone come and "unlock" the tv so I could switch to HDMI. For some reason hotels lock their tvs so you can't change inputs.

Ok, Im glad I asked. Seems like 3 days is not worth the hassle. I guess ill go out and enjoy what Chicago has to offer, as much as it pains me. :(

watership

Some hotels have complex TV hookups or crappy TVs with only hotel specific monitors with only co-ax, that could be a problem. I remember taking my 360 on a trip and one of the hotel has a box locked so you couldn't mess with the inputs.

Internet/online is also a crapshoot. If the hotel is big enough, they may not limit your connectiong to PSN/XBL, but the speed will be crap.

I've done this. Take it in your hand luggage and tell them at baggage check-in that you have it with you.

I couldn't connect to hotel wifi, but could tether it to my phone and use 4G.

Or, I dunno, buy a 3DS or something.

Buy a Used 3DS, play for a few days, wipe and return. I mean, if you were inclined to & absolutely felt the urge to play video games for 3 days but don't want the hassle.

No, I've never tried this before.

Ok, Im glad I asked. Seems like 3 days is not worth the hassle. I guess ill go out and enjoy what Chicago has to offer, as much as it pains me. :(

Quit your aching. Chicago is a pretty nice city.

Top Bottom