• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trek to Yomi | Devolver Digital Showcase

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Sans_titre.png

As a vow to his dying Master, the young swordsman Hiroki is sworn to protect his town and the people he loves against all threats.
Faced with tragedy and bound to duty, the lone samurai must voyage beyond life and death to confront himself and decide his path forward.

Cinematic Presentation
Breathtaking camera angles and striking visuals in the spirit of classic samurai film create a true cinematic experience in Trek to Yomi.

Stylish Combat
Engage vicious swordsmen and supernatural beings with a streamlined combat system based around the traditional weapons of the samurai.

Mythic Storytelling
Experience an enthralling story of Hiroki during his fall against the forces of evil and heroic return to make good on his failed promise to save the people he swore to protect.

Thrilling Soundtrack
The thrilling action and somber moments are set against a memorable score designed to feel authentic to the time and place of feudal Japan.

PS5, Xbox Series & PC

ss_1d5a360df41a82d27e83ca93c920e4c02264b1aa.jpg
ss_27d94d2c809f18510348a30627e58ff077a79f45.jpg
ss_d895ac46da18f50f03ae004dd4c9a3376625537a.jpg
ss_92e881ce6a9187428221a72b6336b541ef295e8a.jpg

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
They really nailed the black and white Kurasawa samurai movie look. I'm kinda blown away.

I'm getting some Kurosawa vibes from this. Color me interested!
What?

The look of the game is great, but I'm thinking you only say Kurosawa because it's monochrome and is feudal Japan right? Kurosawa is all about injecting emotion, personality and character into every scene and I get nothing when watching the gameplay sections with the volume off. If there was to be a Kurosawa "style" game it would be more like LA Noire where you spend way more time interacting and interrogating characters than the action sequences. Again this looks amazing tho.

Will be keeping an eye on this title.

NoPiece

What?

The look of the game is great, but I'm thinking you only say Kurosawa because it's monochrome and is feudal Japan right? Kurosawa is all about injecting emotion, personality and character into every scene and I get nothing when watching the gameplay sections with the volume off. If there was to be a Kurosawa "style" game it would be more like LA Noire where you spend way more time interacting and interrogating characters than the action sequences. Again this looks amazing tho.

Will be keeping an eye on this title.

"because it's monochrome and is feudal Japan right" is what Ghosts of Tsushima did, and while it looked cool, it didn't evoke Kurasawa films. This does because it gets the film look and lighting right. GoT was too sharp. The lighting, shadows, depth of field, grain and artifacts give Trek a mid-century, B&W 35mm look.

kingpotato

"because it's monochrome and is feudal Japan right" is what Ghosts of Tsushima did, and while it looked cool, it didn't evoke Kurasawa films. This does because it gets the film look and lighting right. GoT was too sharp. The lighting, shadows, depth of field, grain and artifacts give Trek a mid-century, B&W 35mm look.
What if I said it look more like a Mizoguchi film? He made black and white samurai movies with more action and is know for long takes. With the film grain shouldn't that be more apt?

I know I'm being pedantic because Kurosawa is the master, but just because I regularly watch his movies I felt like quibbling.

akira kurosawa toshirô mifune GIF by Maudit

GeorgPrime

Banned
Sans_titre.png

As a vow to his dying Master, the young swordsman Hiroki is sworn to protect his town and the people he loves against all threats.
Faced with tragedy and bound to duty, the lone samurai must voyage beyond life and death to confront himself and decide his path forward.

Cinematic Presentation
Breathtaking camera angles and striking visuals in the spirit of classic samurai film create a true cinematic experience in Trek to Yomi.

Stylish Combat
Engage vicious swordsmen and supernatural beings with a streamlined combat system based around the traditional weapons of the samurai.

Mythic Storytelling
Experience an enthralling story of Hiroki during his fall against the forces of evil and heroic return to make good on his failed promise to save the people he swore to protect.

Thrilling Soundtrack
The thrilling action and somber moments are set against a memorable score designed to feel authentic to the time and place of feudal Japan.

PS5, Xbox Series & PC

ss_1d5a360df41a82d27e83ca93c920e4c02264b1aa.jpg
ss_27d94d2c809f18510348a30627e58ff077a79f45.jpg
ss_d895ac46da18f50f03ae004dd4c9a3376625537a.jpg
ss_92e881ce6a9187428221a72b6336b541ef295e8a.jpg

I call it Ghosts of Sushima.

Last edited:

NoPiece

What if I said it look more like a Mizoguchi film? He made black and white samurai movies with more action and is know for long takes. With the film grain shouldn't that be more apt?

I know I'm being pedantic because Kurosawa is the master, but just because I regularly watch his movies I felt like quibbling.

akira kurosawa toshirô mifune GIF by Maudit

Haha, yes I'd say you are bing pedantic. :) I'm waiting for the developer interviews to show up, but I'd make a gentlemen's bet they'll say they are inspired by Kurasawa, and not Mizoguchi, but I'd be impressed either way.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Haha, yes I'd say you are bing pedantic. :) I'm waiting for the developer interviews to show up, but I'd make a gentlemen's bet they'll say they are inspired by Kurasawa, and not Mizoguchi, but I'd be impressed either way.
tumblr_mdrjftf0ii1qfg94wo1_500.gifv

*Laughs in 47 Ronin*

Top Bottom