• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah Under fire for racist and americanized remark about the World Cup Winner France

Alfadawg

Banned
I think he was out of order and took it too far.

France has racist idiots but the majority are not racist.

I think the French take on race is admirable.

If you're French, you're French, there is no African-French etc. It's a not a malicious thing.

Arkage

Banned
Have no clue what people mean when they say Noah’s views are “Americanized”. It’s like a pretend word that doesn’t actually mean anything.

Noah is an African, and only recently came to America to take over the Daily show. In what bizarro world are his views considered fundamentally “American”?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Have no clue what people mean when they say Noah’s views are “Americanized”. It’s like a pretend word that doesn’t actually mean anything.

Noah is an African, and only recently came to America to take over the Daily show. In what bizarro world are his views considered fundamentally “American”?

People like to paint a picture that only in America do people think like this, and everywhere else in the world is a visage utopia of tolerance and inclusiveness... everyone gets along and contributes... but here.

Dude is South African, if anything that explains more so why he would make this joke, lol.

Last edited:

Hmm, I kinda disagree here on your view of the word (I mean, it's an actual word in the dictionary as well). "Americanized" refers to the export of American cultural and ideological influence. It's not a new idea, it has happened in many areas, like in other countries' film culture and in language (big efforts in some countries to work against anglification that comes most prominently from America) and in general the subjects in popular debate. Globalization and the strong position of America as a cultural exporter and english as a unifying language is the cause of it. Something being "americanized" kind of necessitates that it regards someone/something non-American.
Sometimes even Americans perpetuates "Americanization", in trying to apply whatever is an issue in America to comparable to something in a whole other country. It's something that happens at both parts, either from someone perpetuating that the revolves around America or people themselves repeating things that come from America.

Of course, not saying that Trevor Noah's views are or are not americanized, though I feel it's functioning as a red herring here, as a bare assertion that's not shown much proof behind the accusation. There are ways to argue for his views being "Americanized" that'll be far more persuasive than just throwing it out as your first reaction. First of all, one can attempt to trace language used and concepts from his earlier showings in South Africa. You can use old interviews. Then you can refer to that he's lived 7 years in the US, his social circle, his workplace and other things. That might lead you somewhere, after which you'll have to do the comparison of his views in regards to prevalent American views. That might give you enough to throw it out that his views have a big correlation and a historical trend of being affected by American views. However, there are so many flaws in a lot of Trevor Noah's responses that it's probably easier to focus on that instead of throwing out "americanized" as a bare assertion. Otherwise you open up to people throwing out "masculinized"/"patriarchized", "westernized", "nazified" or "western imperialism" as ways to dismiss your point of view and not address your argument seriously.

Top Bottom