• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tri-Ace acquired by Nepro Japan, becomes dedicated smartphone/tablet mobile dev

JordanN

Banned
Absolutely horrible news . These guys were serious tech advocates and very forward thinking at that.

Now we'll never see what they could have done on next gen hardware.

SyA5H8k.jpg

Not super heart broken over this for a lot of reasons (JP mobile development has gotten a lot better over the years, tri-Ace was struggling for a long time, etc), but like Schala, the buyer is what surprised me the most.

I wholly expected SE/Konami/Sega to be the ones to grab it.

Kikujiro

I'm finishing Resonance of Fate and the game is great, such an unique and well-crafted JRPG, gonna miss their works on console.

Makes sense since the market seems to be more or less on smartphones/mobile computers now. A niche genre developer won't last long when the dedicated gaming device market they depend on has more or less migrated over to mobile. Wouldn't be surprised if consoles were basically near non-existent in Japan by end of decade.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Never played one of their games but I know that pain. It's what I felt when Cave stopped porting their arcade games and focused on mobile last year.

Stimpack

Goodbye to best battle systems in the business.
LLShC.gif

Seriously, it's a tragedy. They should've been on top of the world right now. I guess that's pretty much the way most Japanese devs have gone, though. They had everything, and now it's all gone mobile.

my ipad is ready. Tera Battle was pretty fun for a bit and shows jrpg designers can try different things in the mobile space. got my japanese itunes account ready for whatever tri-ace brings to the table

Usobuko

Banned
RIP.

Market shift last Gen as well as cost arises from tech race for AAA blockbuster put them out of flavor with western markets.

Bah ... in this case, a buyout through one of the console makers would have been better. A exclusive console/AAA/"full" game is better than the (possibly) F2P/P2W games they are now going to produce ....

The rights for Baten Kaitos are still in the hands of Namco/Bandai, right? I'm asking for the (foolish, Dan Aykroid-insane type) dream of another Baten Kaitos.

Wow, this bites. I hope Gotanda reinvests his cut of the deal into a new studio, assuming he and other staff leave. Now would be a chance to discuss the games he and others made at Telenet as well.

Neifirst

RIP Baten Kaitos
RIP Resonance of Fate
RIP Star Ocean

RIP true jRPGs

;(

I'm pretty sure Baten Kaitos was developed by Monolith soft, not tri-ace, so at least there's a chance it could reappear when Nintendo rolls out Gamecube VC. Maybe you're thinking of tri-crescendo?

Dinda

Fuck, why didn't one of the healthier Japanese (console) Publishers buy them for these peanuts.... This is so sad:(

RIP in peace.

Console JRPG's are truly going the way of the dodo.

There's tons of good stuff coming out this year alone, both in Japan and especially overseas.

Going to agree Ryouga and a few others: Tri-Ace's output has been anemic for years. Resonance was cool, sure, but it didn't grab people and nobody bought it. PS Nova apparently fell flat on its butt saleswise. Everything else they've done since Star Ocean: TLH has been similarly non-riveting. If anything I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner (in fact for some reason I thought they'd been bought by Square Enix ages ago :V), especially after TLH took so much flak.

Hopefully their mobile output doesn't go too heavily down the wealth-extraction-"F2P" route and remain solid experiences, but it's very hard to say given who bought them. I wouldn't be surprised if Nepro is just in the market for a developer so they can chase those whales as hard as possible.

Top Bottom