• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

tri-Ace acquired by Nepro Japan, becomes dedicated smartphone/tablet mobile dev

klee123

I always hoped SCEJ would acquire them, to finally get an own JRPG team (see Nintendo and Monolith).[/IMG]

SCEJ seems to never buy any dev houses.

That said, Nintendo and Sony needs to act fast, because the way things are going, pretty much every major Japanese developer will be converted to a mobile developer one by one.

jett

D-Member
I'm like, whatever. When's the last time they made something worthwhile. Owners are smart to sell while they could.

Qvoth

Great final list of outings on last gen.These games have some of the finest gameplay.
flG1ysI.png

In addition they created one of my favorite experiences and best ARPGs on PS2.

Radiata Stories.Thank you tri-Ace.You were great and I loved you.

255599.jpg

I guess Radiata Stories has no chance of re-releasing on PSN now...

fuck they made radiata stories? that shit was so fucking awesome

Kyoufu

Any faint hope of a new Valkyrie Profile game is now gone with the wind. :'(

Well I can't say I'm shocked. This was sorta inevitable ever since no one bit on their tech demo from a few years ago. And with no more FFXIII sequels to be the not-so-secret developer of, they had to do something.

Personally, I still blame Star Ocean 4 as the beginning of their end.

Their descent into mediocrity began with Infinite Undiscovery. I remember being excited for that game. Lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well I can't say I'm shocked. This was sorta inevitable ever since no one bit on their tech demo from a few years ago. And with no more FFXIII sequels to be the not-so-secret developer of, they had to do something.

Personally, I still blame Star Ocean 4 as the beginning of their end.

Great final list of outings on last gen.These games have some of the finest gameplay.
flG1ysI.png

In addition they created one of my favorite experiences and best ARPGs on PS2.

Radiata Stories.Thank you tri-Ace.You were great and I loved you.

255599.jpg

I guess Radiata Stories has no chance of re-releasing on PSN now...

I was always afraid of this game. Didn't it have a hundred unique NPC's and it took over 100 hours to 100%?

Cyrano

Guess I won't ever have to worry about the Valkyrie Profile series finishing. Though given how bad Valkyrie Profile 2 was, I guess it's just a merciful death.

duckroll

The acquisition announcement by Nepro also has tri-Ace's accounts for the last 3 years. They're privately owned, so such info would normally not be public.

Accounting Period: 2012 Feb
Net Assets: 146,000,000yen
Total Assets: 372,000,000yen
Book Value per Share: 81,450.99yen
Sales: 908,000,000yen
Operating Profit: 8,000,000yen
Ordinary Profit: 5,000,000yen
Net Profit for the Current Term: 5,000,000yen
Earnings per Share: 3,193.82yen
Dividend per Share: 0yen

Accounting Period: 2013 Feb
Net Assets: 178,000,000yen
Total Assets: 553,000,000yen
Book Value per Share: 99,408.21yen
Sales: 1,333,000,000yen
Operating Profit: 76,000,000yen
Ordinary Profit: 72,000,000yen
Net Profit for the Current Term: 32,000,000yen
Earnings per Share: 17,957.21yen

Accounting Period: 2014 Feb
Net Assets: 140,000,000yen
Total Assets: 589,000,000yen
Book Value per Share: 78,177.89yen
Sales: 1,492,000,000yen
Operating Profit: 21,000,000yen
Ordinary Profit: 17,000,000yen
Net Profit for the Current Term: 38,000,000yen
Earnings per Share: 21,230.31yen

Hope I didn't fuck any of that up...

Eusis

Their descent into mediocrity began with Infinite Undiscovery. I remember being excited for that game. Lol
Kind of crazy how I blew off Vesperia as more of the "same old" yet went with that over IU when reviews came out, and when I tried IU via a rental I gained a LOT of appreciation for ToV.

Still, it's a shame to see this as their fate. Does kind of feel like everything's slowly but surely crumbling in the face of mobile advancement. And it's not even "the kind of games you'd like but on phones/tablets" either most of the time (and pure touch screen controls aren't great for those most of the time anyway.) :/

duckroll

It's also worth noting for clarification that Gotanda, Norimoto, and Goshima don't appear to be selling their entire stake in tri-Ace. They're selling enough to Nepro has a majority stake to acquire it as a subsidiary. In exchange for that they're getting cash and Nepro shares. After the buy out they will still hold about 30% of the company together. So it would appear they at least have some faith in the mobile future the company is going in.

Nanashrew

Banned
I was always afraid of this game. Didn't it have a hundred unique NPC's and it took over 100 hours to 100%?

Requires two playthroughs too since there two different factions (monsters/humans) you can join at certain points in the game which limits who you can get for your team. If you miss a quest at a certain time, you can miss getting a character on your team. It could be frustrating even with a guide or FAQ sheet. Really fun though! I recommend the game.

The acquisition announcement by Nepro also has tri-Ace's accounts for the last 3 years. They're privately owned, so such info would normally not be public.

Accounting Period: 2012 Feb
Net Assets: 146,000,000yen
Total Assets: 372,000,000yen
Book Value per Share: 81,450.99yen
Sales: 908,000,000yen
Operating Profit: 8,000,000yen
Ordinary Profit: 5,000,000yen
Net Profit for the Current Term: 5,000,000yen
Earnings per Share: 3,193.82yen

Accounting Period: 2013 Feb
Net Assets: 178,000,000yen
Total Assets: 553,000,000yen
Book Value per Share: 99,408.21yen
Sales: 1,333,000,000yen
Operating Profit: 76,000,000yen
Ordinary Profit: 72,000,000yen
Net Profit for the Current Term: 32,000,000yen
Earnings per Share: 17,957.21yen

Accounting Period: 2014 Feb
Net Assets: 140,000,000yen
Total Assets: 589,000,000yen
Book Value per Share: 78,177.89yen
Sales: 1,492,000,000yen
Operating Profit: 21,000,000yen
Ordinary Profit: 17,000,000yen
Net Profit for the Current Term: 38,000,000yen
Earnings per Share: 21,230.31yen

Hope I didn't fuck any of that up...
These seem...low to me.

Cyrano

It's also worth noting for clarification that Gotanda, Norimoto, and Goshima don't appear to be selling their entire stake in tri-Ace. They're selling enough to Nepro has a majority stake to acquire it as a subsidiary. In exchange for that they're getting cash and Nepro shares. After the buy out they will still hold about 30% of the company together. So it would appear they at least have some faith in the mobile future the company is going in.
So if they aren't leaving the company outright, aside from the cash, what's in it for them? I mean, there's gotta be better stocks I would think?

duckroll

So if they aren't leaving the company outright, aside from the cash, what's in it for them? I mean, there's gotta be better stocks I would think?

They get to stay in the company they founded, run it, keep everyone employed (maybe), and have a owner which actually has money now? Doesn't seem like that bad a deal.

Labadal

I am not surprised but extremely disappointed that something like this had to happen. End of a long era. They were kings fun and cool of battle systems.

What I will never do again:

Ask for a new Valkyrie Profile
Ask for a new Resonance of Fate
Ask for a new Star Ocean

I even re-bought Resonance of Fate to play it in anticipation for their possible PS4 game. I will probably get it tomorrow.

In their honor, I post this:
ioPBBPA.gif

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Does that mean that any hopes for PSNova localization is now gone?
I mean those hopes should have already been dead when Sega announced they weren't publishing anything in the west anymore that wasnt PC, mobile or Sonic. But otherwise... Yes. You typically need the original developer to input your localization code into the game.

Cyrano

They get to stay in the company they founded, run it, keep everyone employed (maybe), and have a owner which actually has money now? Doesn't seem like that bad a deal.
Well, if they don't have majority control, most of those things wouldn't normally apply (at least initially), especially if Nepro wants to refocus the entire company to work on mobile and tablet games. I half-suspect some people will simply leave, other than those deeply embedded in the company. Granted, I know Japan's economy isn't great right now (and I'm not deeply embedded in Japanese game dev culture) so I may be barking up the wrong tree.

10% stake per person may be reasonable but given they were majority holders by themselves seems like they're expecting the new owners to take on a lot of responsibility that isn't just money-related (and it seems like Nepro wants to do this?).

Always makes me sad when we lose developers to mobile. I don't game on mobile and refuse to until the controls are sorted. Still, thanks for the memories guys and gals.

nampad

I can see JRPGs working well on mobile so I am not that sad about it. Would prefer them working on my favorite platform though.

Steroyd

Yeah it was so gorgeous..I want to replay this game so much

I am not surprised but extremely disappointed that something like this had to happen. End of a long era. They were kings fun and cool of battle systems.

What I will never do again:

Ask for a new Valkyrie Profile
Ask for a new Resonance of Fate
Ask for a new Star Ocean

I even re-bought Resonance of Fate to play it in anticipation for their possible PS4 game. I will probably get it tomorrow.

In their honor, I post this:
ioPBBPA.gif

How the hell did I miss Radiata Stories!?

*checks wiki*

I hate living in PAL land sometimes.

Caronte

I mean those hopes should have already been dead when Sega announced they weren't publishing anything in the west anymore that wasnt PC, mobile or Sonic. But otherwise... Yes. You typically need the original developer to input your localization code into the game.

Wait, does that include Atlus USA?

Top Bottom