• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Trine' (PSN/PC) Announced

Ploid 3.0

They worked on SSDHD? Ok I'm sold x2 (not buying two, just that I'm confident that it will look amazing, and run amazing).

Ploid 3.0

Holy crap, I just watched the vid. It gave me flash backs of PSX times. Times of Oddworld Abe's oddysee, Tomba, and such 2d 3d looking games (but this is actual 3d). And the puzzles, physics <3

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This game is quickly shaping up to be my most wanted PSN game. Reminds of Rayman so much. I want this now!

iceatcs

That's look so hot. Deffo one day, but I'm wondering if the mouse will work on this game for PSN cos it is look required.

slider

Wow, this came outta nowhere (didn't it?). I haven't even heard of the devs but it looks really pretty. Artistic talent FTW.

Goooo Finland! I have heard that Shadowgrounds isn't perfect but at least it looks fun to play, oldschool style so I wish this turns out to be a great game.

Ploid 3.0

BTW I don't see how it would be hard to draw the gestures with the ps3 controller. using the browser I can draw those shapes and lines with the cursor. Drawing with the mouse isn't a picknick either, although there are some people that can do some good drawing with a mouse in MSpaint.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I want this game. Badly.

And as for making gestures... hello PS3 BT keypad/touchpad support?

1UP: The game's got a distinct look. How did you settle on the visual style?

LH: We wanted to create a fantasy game with familiar elements but with our own touch. We wanted Trine's world to feel magical, like a kind of fairy tale from our childhood. And frankly, lately there have been a slew of games with very grey and "realistic" visuals -- boring and dull, if you will, in our opinion. We didn't want to make a medieval documentary. We wanted to bring a little color and fun! The mushrooms in the game...well, let's just say we didn't go to our backyards and take photographs.

1UP: Please describe the balance between the puzzles, platforming, and action.

LH: We're making the gameplay flexible so that there are multiple solutions to puzzles, and you can play the game very much the way you want. We haven't finalized the balance yet -- we're going to be making changes and tweaks until the final day. The difficulty level also affects the amount of action, so on higher difficulty levels, you'll have more enemies. So if you get the urge to smash a whole army of skeletons, just pump up the difficulty. I get like that sometimes.

1UP: We've heard that you draw items onscreen in the game -- how will players do that with the PS3 controller? It looks like that it'd work better with a mouse on PC?

LH: Looks can be deceiving! Seriously speaking, we're looking into motion sensing, and we're going to try out a few things to see if it'll be viable. As an alternative, we'll map objects to certain buttons, like Square would output a box, and so on. [We're not aiming for object creation to be] a puzzle in itself. The idea is to figure out solutions to the puzzles presented in the game and find a way to [progress].

2dk0pk8.jpg

2pouujk.jpg

21cz83.jpg

2krpdj.jpg

mrxyz7.jpg

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3171869&p=1

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
This is the type of games I want to see down loadable, not the billion old school shooters.
Plz who ever has the Sunset Riders license make a 4 player co-op game for PSN/Xbla pls pls pls :D

dejan

That looks interesting. Any information on the distribution model for the pc version? I assume it will be DD only?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kulock said:
That's a looker, I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this one until now. I wonder if the PS3 or PC version will turn out better.
Unless the PC version has mods or something, I'd say they both look to be equal. PS3 has the pad(which can be mapped on a PC). I have tons of crap off the PSN so that is the version I was always going to buy.

LiquidMetal14

That trailer in the OP is damn awesome. The music is spot on. The gameplay looks highly creative. Right up there as one of my most anticipated network offerings.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Kulock said:
That's a looker, I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this one until now. I wonder if the PS3 or PC version will turn out better.
In terms of control PC will most definitely be better because you use the mouse to draw shapes and blocks that the wizard conjures, I'm not quite sure how well that will work with a game pad.

LiquidMetal14

Trying to absorb info on this and haven't seen any demo info. This is bought no matte what but a demo would be nice. And release it a week before the game goes up.

thaOwner

I almost ignored this thread and man, what a mistake that would have been. I fucking love the look of this game.
Man, the colors, environment, everything looks like its full of life. Will definitely be picking this up when it drops.

Hopefully someone comes out with a Wiimote mod for the PC version as that looks to be the ideal control method if you ask me. Navigating a pointer with analog stick sounds like my idea of hell, so something which incorporates a mouse or pointer looks damn near essential if you ask me. The only problem is of course that a keyboard isn't ideal for a platformer.

Actually, come to to think of it, there's no reason you couldn't just use the left half of a Saturn USB along with a mouse. My MX518 has plenty of buttons so that's not a problem and sice the Saturn pad's are so light, holding it one handed isn't an issue. Sure as hell beats trying to precisely draw shapes with an analog stick.

Daante

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1614

"So many questions! To be honest, we don't want to answer all these questions right now. Some of the answers will be revealed in previews and interviews, and others we will later make official announcements about.

But some answers that I can provide:

- Trine uses our own inhouse game engine (the same as in the Shadowgrounds games) but of course it's been improved a lot.

- We're roughly 20 people strong, a bit less currently but some new blood will come in next year to help finish the game in time.

- Once we launch the website next month, there will be a fansite kit and extra screenshots. And possibly a development diary as well.

- Yes there will be easter eggs. I think it's worthwhile reading this blog post again, now that the game is announced.

- Nobilis is the worldwide publisher for the PSN version and almost worldwide for PC version (only excluding Russia and some minor territories). The game will be distributed in retail and online for PC, and we obviously aim to have the game available at Steam and other download channels as well. You can expect a pretty good selection of choices regarding that. So far Trine has only been announced for PSN and PC, other platforms may be announced later or become available after the original release, but there's no news I can say at this point. We know there's a lot of demand for other versions...

- Sony and Nobilis both have been great to work with and we're really happy with them.

- There will be Trophy support, but the full extent is yet to be determined.

- Shadowgrounds for PSN... let's see what the future holds. :D"

Daante

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1612

- We'll have to see about the Beta through PSN, frankly we don't fully know how that system works. We'll talk to our publisher and Sony and see what's possible.

" - And yeah, Trine uses PhysX just like Shadowgrounds Survivor. Everything's been improved a bit, of course

- Yeah PhysX hardware is supported, to some extent at least. I doubt we have much time to add many new features but we'll see. Our main focus is on making the gameplay as fun as can be."

Top Bottom