• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tropes vs Women author Sarkeesian vacates home following online threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Real Hero

This just makes it plain how childish the video game community is. Can you imagine if some academic received death threats for writing a feminist critique of a H. Rider Haggard novel or something? Sounds ridiculous but that's basically what has happened.

This just makes it plain how childish the video game community is. Can you imagine if some academic received death threats for writing a feminist critique of a H. Rider Haggard novel or something? Sounds ridiculous but that's basically what has happened.

Do you really believe academics never get death threats?

This has nothing to do with a community being childish. There are just a good deal of nutcases out there who will explode at the least occurrence they perceive as utterly wrong and provocative.

Edit: also you can't really compare the nature of an academic feminist critique with the more provocative approach of Sarkeesian. The academic's intention is usually to start an intellectual debate, whereas Sarkeesian is rather out to raise awareness and to shock people until they grow a conscience.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
What would that accomplish? Let's say that 70% of games are neither positive nor negative, 25% are negative and 5% are positive. What does accounting for the neutral 70% contribute to the discussion?

Um. Quite a lot. Because it really changes the landscape of the discussion. If you ignore the neutral games, then you're presenting a world where the vast majority of games are negative. If you don't ignore them, then you're presenting a world where a minority of games are negative. Don't you think that's a substantial difference right there? And don't you think that one of these presentations is more honest than the other?

Carcetti

1. Censorship, oppression, agendas and any Art form do not mix well.
3. Death Threats (if real) definitely not cool.
3. PR agents / Publishers/ Devs pulling strings and manipulating gaming press and consumers also not cool.
4. Gaming press demonising gamers and game culture... just fucking stupid.

Everybody needs to calm down and both sides of the argument require serious looking into in the cold light of day.

What you said last is absolutely true. Your first point, which I bolded, I have an issue with if that's an actual reference to Sarkeesian etc.

Art can absolutely handle 'agendas' because good art is provoking, or at least thought-provoking and not in any sense 'neutral'. Censorship and oppression I'm not seeing. Sarkeesian is doing critique, even if some would argue it's not a very deep critique. Books, movies, comic books, high art, they all can handle being critiqued very harshly, and the same needs to be applied to games.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
That's because experiencing a problem can prove its existence, but not experiencing it can't prove it not existing.

How about if one is experiencing a problem (and acknowledges its existence), but chooses not to act? Or chooses to root out individual weeds of said problem, rather than burning the whole garden (like the poster near the end of the previous page was getting at)?

By 'lazy' I assume you mean 'limited in options due to time/budget constraints'? ;-)

In a lot of cases, yes, those are probably very real reasons.
To be more specific, I think a lot of modern devs are plagued with lazy imagination, or are simply following trends because that's how you "do" gritty in a game world.

I think it really depends on what game world you would like to create. Like in Red Dead Redemption it does make some sense to put in some misogynistic stuff because that's how life was in that era. And the game is somewhat of a Wild West simulation after all.

Sarkeesian's counter-argument is that you don't have to add abuse vs women in those games because there are other non-realistic elements in there like backpacks that can store an unlimited amount of rifles. Only the ocean deep backpack is there for gameplay purposes. It wouldn't be fun to have to temporarily go and hide your weapons into a cave (because you don't own a house yet) then run to said cave every time you need another gun. I'm not saying that abuse against women should be the only element that defines the game world. As you said, clearly if you're creating a simulation, it should be a balanced view. I haven't played RDR long enough to know how balanced the game really is. But it seemed like Wild West tropes were widespread. Not just about women.

I agree about differenciating between mechanics and aesthetics. You do need to make it clear whether you're analysing a "fairly accurate portrayal" or a "straight up simulator". In the case of RDR, it's unfortunate because playing cowboy has always been a male fantasy, and the period it's set in is characteristic of what we'd consider extremely problematic in (western) society today.

Here, it comes down to how tastefully the subject matter is handled, which I suppose could become a question of... taste. It becomes harder and harder to draw the line.

Edit: Although yes, not making a show of it with trophies is a good start ;)

Lime

Interesting perspective on the inherent capitalistic and industrial consumption of the gamer identity and the problematic aspects of defining one's identity on which products you buy and consume.

There are a few small issues with this analysis. One is the notion that the slights imagined by gamers are just that: imaginary. But they aren’t, and gamers must be taken at face value when they claim to feel threatened. Gamer culture is under threat, though the notion that it’s dead or dying is both overstated and premature.

When your identity has been manufactured by corporations urging you to consume certain things in prescribed ways, then any change, no matter how small, is an existential threat. When women challenge decades of almost exclusively male fantasies of sex and power, this alters the content the gamer consumes. And when that content is altered, gamer identity itself under threat. The vitriol isn’t contrived or artificially manufactured. It has a source.

Which brings me to the second problem. There are cries from some quarters that this is not representative of gamer culture, that the word “gamer” should be reclaimed as something good. But it was never good. It was never worth saving.

Gamer identity is tainted, root and branch, by its embrace of consumption as a way of life. If gamers suddenly became completely inclusive, if all of the threats and stamping of feet went away and the doors were flung open, conspicuous consumption would still be the essential core of their identity. The mythical gamer who does not exist to consume is not a gamer. A raisin is not a grape, and no amount of rehydration will turn it into one.

All of this comes with the usual caveats. It’s all right to enjoy video games. I love a lot of video games. I suspect that I’ll love new ones in the years to come. But to define oneself by media consumption is not just unhealthy, it’s vacuous. To do so is to go beyond the necessary distractions from the real world’s tedium and travails. It’s a demand for a Huxley-esque perpetual childhood.

Gamers won’t die because there will always be, in capitalism, people who define themselves by what they buy. When their imaginary identity politics are challenged, they’ll lash out, angrily, with as much vitriol as they can muster.

Their opprobrium points to the silver lining in all of this, small as it is. The open savagery of the gamers’ revolt, coupled with their manifest hypocrisy — embodied by their collective ease with the web of games press, advertising, and corporate access — has laid bare the inherent problems with this mode of identification.

levyjl1988

Banned
Her arguments with games and women are pretty strong. She's just wanting women to have equality with men. What's so hard about that?

Women are your mom, your girlfriend, your cousins, your family, your friends and should get equal treatment.

The world is quite messed up unfortunately. We're simply people. Perhaps the secluded warped peoples mind and they live in a tiny bubble failing to realize the outside world.

Unfathomability

Neo Member
Is this now a thread for general discussion of the value of feminist critique of video games?

Anyway, my feelings on the whole situation:

It seems many people are more interested in arguing about Sarkeesian than about her message. In my mind, agenda, background or previous actions is irrelevant as long as the points made are solid. "Seperate the artist from the art" etc. To my mind Sarkeesian's points are solid.

To the point of "cherry-picking" or "only bad examples": If I have understood this correctly, her mission is not to present the general state of female representation in games. She is not a journalist with a responsibility to give every side equal time. She is participating in a debate on unfortunate (potentially harmful) representations of women in media, and trying to connect these to feminist theory.

To the point of misrepresentation of some games: the Hitman example is often mentioned. I would like to point out that her point does not emerge in the "badness" of a single example, but in the repeated perpetration of the same stereotype, form, representation. That is what a trope is, after all. There exist a "shorthand" for female representation in games, and often it is of a harmful nature. This point does ofcourse become legitimate if the majority of the examples are misrepresented.

To the point of equally bad representation of men: this might be true, but is not within the scope of the "Tropes vs. Women in video games"-series. It also does not disprove or invalidate Sarkeesian's points. If anything, it points out another thing that the industry might consider improving.

I hope that was understandable, english is not my first language.

casmith07

Calling Sarkesian out on her opinions is perfectly fine. People are allowed to debate and disagree.

When it rises to the level of threats of harm, it's obviously gone way too far.

The police are pretty terrible here. She should go to the FBI, which does handle cybercrimes and things of this nature.

BPoole

That's sad. I don't care about anything she says, so I don't watch her videos. I don't know why people can't do the same and refrain from death threats

Cyrano

Interesting perspective on the inherent capitalistic and industrial consumption of the gamer identity and the problematic aspects of defining one's identity on which products you buy and consume.
From another of his articles on how a lot of this is intentionally manipulative regarding consumption politics:
Neoliberalism has made geeks of us all: jocks, nerds, and dweebs alike. In the background are the corporate owners of the media which geeks love, setting man against woman, rich against poor, black and brown against white, all on manufactured lines of consumption. Ideally, the commonalities of working class identity would trump these, easily and swiftly, revealing the absurdity of the heated arguments between consumption cohorts which geek culture identity politics stir up.

RageBot

Banned
OK, I'll bite. How is she a hypocrite? And what specifically in your opinion are the "non-issues" she is complaining about?

Not talking about hypocricy, but these are some of the problems people have with Anita's work:

http://cowkitty.net/post/78808973663/you-stole-my-artwork-an-open-letter-to-anita
http://victorsopinion.blogspot.be/2013/07/anitas-sources.html
http://readwrite.com/2013/03/19/anita-sarkeesian-i-love-you-but-please-show-me-the-money (written by a woman btw)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropes_vs._Women_in_Video_Games#Crowdfunding_via_Kickstarter
She takes way too long to make these episodes, and they don't seem to justify the money that was given to her in any way, shape or form and she steals other people's work.

She also doesn't focus at all (correct me if i'm wrong) about positive examples of the women developers themselves, she never mentioned Amy Hennig, Corrine Yu or Roberta Williams, and completely ignores the recent TFYC, who do give these women attention:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FineYoungCapitalists

Not to mention, that a lot of people think that she isn't even a gamer, and people have a problem with people who don't care about their hobby, coming in and trying to change things for the sake of their ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-69xXD734
A longer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPIu3sDkEw

Basically, a lot of people have no problem with her point of view, with her points and so on, people are just upset (and some take it to the extreme) that she seems like she doesn't care about video games at all, doesn't do her job properly, and she only talking about video games to either further her own agenda, or simply to make money.

I'll take these one at a time.

Not talking about hypocricy, but these are some of the problems people have with Anita's work:

http://cowkitty.net/post/78808973663/you-stole-my-artwork-an-open-letter-to-anita
http://victorsopinion.blogspot.be/2013/07/anitas-sources.html
http://readwrite.com/2013/03/19/anita-sarkeesian-i-love-you-but-please-show-me-the-money (written by a woman btw)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropes_vs._Women_in_Video_Games#Crowdfunding_via_Kickstarter
She takes way too long to make these episodes, and they don't seem to justify the money that was given to her in any way, shape or form and she steals other people's work.

The criticism of her not properly crediting someone else for using their captured gameplay was valid. I believe she has apologized for it, and I believe she has not done it again.

The criticism that the videos don't justify the money she was given is completely irrelevant. She laid out what the videos would be and gave examples of her work. People paid her to do what she said she would. That lots of people were willing to chip in money to get that content doesn't mean she has to change the content, or to work to someone elses timeline. It just means that lots of people wanted to pay her to for the sort of content she was promising to make.

And she is delivering what she promised. This shouldn't be a point of contention.

She also doesn't focus at all (correct me if i'm wrong) about positive examples of the women developers themselves, she never mentioned Amy Hennig, Corrine Yu or Roberta Williams, and completely ignores the recent TFYC, who do give these women attention:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FineYoungCapitalists

Get used to reading this part. Anita laid out very clearly what videos she was going to make. The money she raised was all towards that goal. She isn't obligated to do anything other than what she promised, which was a series of videos focusing on the harmful portrayals of women found in many video games. She isn't obligated to talk about the small fraction of female programmers and designers in lead roles.

Not to mention, that a lot of people think that she isn't even a gamer, and people have a problem with people who don't care about their hobby, coming in and trying to change things for the sake of their ideology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW-69xXD734
A longer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcPIu3sDkEw

And those people are illogical. The criticisms are for the most part valid. Whether the person who raises them is a gamer or not is only relevant if you want an easy way to try to ignore the valid criticism. And you shouldn't want or need an easy way to ignore things which are genuinely wrong with gaming.

Basically, a lot of people have no problem with her point of view, with her points and so on, people are just upset (and some take it to the extreme) that she seems like she doesn't care about video games at all, doesn't do her job properly, and she only talking about video games to either further her own agenda, or simply to make money.

Can't she have a goal based on multiple aims? Can't she want to see games better represent women and make a living championing that cause? How does one invalidate the other?

Why are you talking about it as if she can only be for one or the other?

If you didn't kickstart her videos, you don't have any kind of a say in what sort of content she should be producing. You can critique her content. You can agree or disagree with it...

But no... she shouldn't be making something different. She owes the people who paid her all that money to make videos just like she is making. Because that's what they paid her to do.

That lots of people paid her to do it is MORE reason not to change her product, not less. And that she makes money on her videos? Good for her. Why shouldn't she be able to earn money from her work?

I don't have a problem if she doesn't at all care about games. Sometimes, an external perspective can be valuable. It doesn't make her points any less valid.

I can't comment on the time, or money arguments, other than to say her videos are pretty long and I'm sure a lot of work goes in to making each one.

frequency

Wait..

What does talking about female developers have to do with the scope of her project? That is a ridiculous criticism. It is saying she should talk about this totally different thing instead because......... because!

What she did with the money is none of your business either. She is producing what she said she would in the Kickstarter. Are you a backer? Just because some blog was written by a woman doesn't mean it is somehow more valid. So she is getting paid for her work. So what? This isn't a non-profit charity.

"She's not even a gamer!"
... Ugh... seriously that is what we're going to do?

These videos are having an effect. It is changing minds and having people look at themselves and ask questions. People like Joss Whedon back it. In gaming, Tim Shaefer, Neil Druckmann, Saints Row and Bioshock 2 people (sorry I forgot their names... I'm a bad person) and others are backing it or thinking about their previous works and what they may have done wrong.

So what would the detractors have happen? What do they want of this series? For it to stop? For her to change her scope and message to better suit your beliefs? For her to argue against herself?

RageBot

Banned
Wait..

What does talking about female developers have to do with the scope of her project? That is a ridiculous criticism. It is saying she should talk about this totally different thing instead because......... because!

What she did with the money is none of your business either. She is producing what she said she would in the Kickstarter. Are you a backer? Just because it is written by a woman doesn't mean it is somehow more valid.

"She's not even a gamer!"
... Ugh... seriously that is what we're going to do?

These videos are having an effect. It is changing minds and having people look at themselves and ask questions. People like Joss Whedon back it. In gaming, Tim Shaefer, Neil Druckmann, Saints Row and Bioshock 2 people (sorry I forgot their names... I'm a bad person) and others are backing it or thinking about their previous works and what they may have done wrong.

So what would the detractors have happen? What do they want of this series? For it to stop? For her to change her scope and message to better suit your beliefs? For her to argue against herself?

I only stated why a lot of people have a problem with Anita.

frequency

I only stated why a lot of people have a problem with Anita.

And I only stated why their reasons for it are ridiculous and they seem to just be looking for a way to undermine a good message for change in the industry because of their own ulterior motives. Perhaps that is not the case for everyone but throughout these threads I find it increasingly hard to believe people are arguing in good faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom