• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trudeau: Canada Will Take the Refugees US Rejects

From PBS

TORONTO — Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has a message for refugees rejected by U.S. President Donald Trump: Canada will take you.

Trudeau also posted a picture of him greeting a Syrian child at Toronto's airport in late 2015. Trudeau oversaw the arrival of more than 39,000 Syrian refugees soon after he was elected.

"The Prime Minister is looking forward to discussing the successes of Canada's immigration and refugee policy with the President when they next speak," Trudeau spokeswoman Kate Purchase told The Associated Press.

Good guy Trudeau leading the world in humanitarianism.

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
Yeah, I mean, what does he care? They won’t be living anywhere near his neighborhood

That tweet was 6 months ago. I'm not sure what this thread is supposed to discuss, but if it's Canadian immigration, then the facts on the ground are far more complicated than that tweet indicates.

Edit: 18 months! Ha!

Last edited:

Joe T.

"Last year, about 20,000 people crossed the border at Roxham Road. A large portion of them were Haitians, many of whom spoke French and feared the loss of a protected status they had in the United States. In 2017, Haitians had a 25-per-cent acceptance rate for their claims, down from the average level of about 50 per cent. By the end of last year, federal officials said nine in 10 cases were being rejected." -The Globe and Mail, April 18, 2018

As Yonge and Mayau pointed out above, the situation's more complicated than that old tweet let's on. Liberals just got crushed in Ontario and the tide is rising against them here in Quebec (election's in three months), so I'm not sure it's going to get any easier in the coming years.

Its not that easy.

LOL. That video has a picture of the same Trudeau's tweet in the OP. Then later, Trudeau says with a straight face: Canada is a nation of laws. And we follow them.

Two faced son of Castro. Talks smack to Trump about not taking refugees but then he doesn't take them either. That tweet made that guy from El Salvador drop 15 grand on lawyers for nothing.

Liberty4all

Banned
Meanwhile in Toronto ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ble-to-take-more-refugees-mayor-idUSKBN1JM2N5

The article posted in the OP is from Jan 2017. Trudeau got ALOT of flak for his statements with Quebec taking the brunt of a massive influx of illegal aliens, a direct result of Trudeau’s poor statement.

Many of these illegal aliens were worried about being deported from the US and took Trudeau’s comment much the same as how Germany’s statements were seen several years ago by potential refugees.

Essentially Trudeau virtue signaled with Canadian provincial governments paying the price.

Last edited:

dolabla

Trudeau changed his tune on that quick.

They've been sending out warning messages that warned anybody rushing to the Canadian border while entering illegally will be apprehended and deported.

Dunki

From PBS

IS this why he only took complete families from Syria which they by the did chose in while Europe still have to deal with all the trash people who never wanted to flee from being the opressors and even in refugee camps threatening women and non muslimswith death and rape? Yeah good guy Trudeau..

Here is the funny part. In Germany almost NOONE would not agree to take families in but what we get are 80% young males who even lie about their age to get into Germany. This fucking hypcrite.....

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
When I think humanitarianism, I'm thinking why not put more resources that go into the heart of the issue instead of ignoring it?

The Syrian War has been going on now for what? 7 years? How much longer can it go for, and why is it our job to depopulate Syria and bring people over from a completely different culture?

I really dislike issues that take place half way around the world is somehow more important than issues that currently exist in the country.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
The Love Guru

images

Russia is vetoing every sanction or action against Assad, same as what the USA is doing for Israel since it's inception.

Look at whose causing these issues and then crying and whining about the outcomes. Home of the brave? Nah.

Panda1

Banned
When I think humanitarianism, I'm thinking why not put more resources that go into the heart of the issue instead of ignoring it?

The Syrian War has been going on now for what? 7 years? How much longer can it go for, and why is it our job to depopulate Syria and bring people over from a completely different culture?

I really dislike issues that take place half way around the world is somehow more important than issues that currently exist in the country.

This is a simple one. White troops are worth more than brown black - so although the UN or a country like USA could stop any war it means troops on the ground and some of those going home in bodybags.

zelo-ca

I am from Canada and have to say that I hate Trudeau more than most people but that tweet was from Jan 2017. I came in here expecting he announced that today. You should change your title to reflect that.

bucyou

I am from Canada and have to say that I hate Trudeau more than most people but that tweet was from Jan 2017. I came in here expecting he announced that today. You should change your title to reflect that.

That would make sense, but it doesnt fit OPs agenda so It wont happen

Sakura

That was a year and a half ago. Pretty sure Trudeau changed his tune quickly after that. Recent polling shows people aren't too happy with him either.

bucyou

Lets look at something more recent since the OP is either obtuse or disingenuous

May 2018
Canada is rejecting more refugee claims from people who crossed its border illegally as Justin Trudeau’s government seeks to dissuade, block and turn back thousands more, according to new data obtained by Reuters.

Forty percent of such border crossers whose claims were finalized in the first three months of this year were granted refugee status, down from 53% for all of 2017, according to data provided by Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board. There were no claims finalized in the first three months of 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...laims-amid-border-crossing-influx-under-trump

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Russia is vetoing every sanction or action against Assad, same as what the USA is doing for Israel since it's inception.

Look at whose causing these issues and then crying and whining about the outcomes. Home of the brave? Nah.

So let Russia and Iran take them all since they are the ones who have been supporting Assad and keeping this civil war going on. If Assad wasn't barrel bombing and gassing his own people maybe the entire country wouldn't be running away.

JordanN

Banned
This is a simple one. White troops are worth more than brown black - so although the UN or a country like USA could stop any war it means troops on the ground and some of those going home in bodybags.
If you're talking about regime change, the U.S already did that before and it didn't end well (Iraq). We also had Libya and that too ended in disaster.

I also didn't mean suggesting end the war with force. You can send humanitarian aid like food and water and medical assistance to those people instead.
Other than that, it's not my country's responsibility to babysit an entire country half way around the world. We're not Syrians and our way of life is different.

Last edited:

Mahadev

So let Russia and Iran take them all since they are the ones who have been supporting Assad and keeping this civil war going on. If Assad wasn't barrel bombing and gassing his own people maybe the entire country wouldn't be running away.

Just like with Libya the civil war was orchestrated then funded and armed by the US and its allies that support actual terrorists that often allied with ISIS. Russia in this case is trying to uphold some kind of order in the Middle East by not turning another country into Libya. That doesn't mean of course that Putin is some kind of benevolent leader, Putin was always an asshole, he's just protecting his country's interests that happen to coincide with the Mddle East not turning into a hellhole. On the other hand the US interests seem to coincide with the opposite apparently...

Last edited:

black_13

Banned
hmm 6 month old tweet? Trying to trick people who don't even read past the headlines?

If the US and other western nations had stayed out of the war then Assad would have quickly regained control over the country and it wouldn't have escalated to the situation it is today. But they had such a hard on hate for Assad that they wanted him out so I don't see how it's just Russia and Iran's fault. US meddling in foreign politics once again bit themselves in the ass again but they don't care since they are refusing refugees.

Gold_Loot

Lets look at something more recent since the OP is either obtuse or disingenuous

May 2018
Canada is rejecting more refugee claims from people who crossed its border illegally as Justin Trudeau’s government seeks to dissuade, block and turn back thousands more, according to new data obtained by Reuters.

Forty percent of such border crossers whose claims were finalized in the first three months of this year were granted refugee status, down from 53% for all of 2017, according to data provided by Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board. There were no claims finalized in the first three months of 2017.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...laims-amid-border-crossing-influx-under-trump
“Well, there it is.”.GIF.

JordanN

Banned
hmm 6 month old tweet? Trying to trick people who don't even read past the headlines?

If the US and other western nations had stayed out of the war then Assad would have quickly regained control over the country and it wouldn't have escalated to the situation it is today. But they had such a hard on hate for Assad that they wanted him out so I don't see how it's just Russia and Iran's fault. US meddling in foreign politics once again bit themselves in the ass again but they don't care since they are refusing refugees.
The U.S is in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" position.

Because they're the only superpower left after the cold war, they're now seen as the world police. If they don't intervene they'll get called out. If they do intervene, they'll get called out.
Personally though, I wish the USA would go back to isolationism and let the world fight itself, but that ship sailed after 1945.

Ironically, this is why we should be hoping for more Trumps. He's made it clear he wants to focus on America first, and all bombings and invasions come after.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

US supported some rebels and bombed a bunch of empty airfields. Israel has probably seen more action in Syria then the US.

Meanwhile Russia has SAMS, troops, intelligence in Syria. Iran has troops and Hezbulla in Syria. Both those countries are putting their personal interest ahead of whats best for the Syrian people and prolonging this war. Its more Russia and Iran's fault then anyone elses. Its also those 2 countries that have dragged this out for years and given Assad support to reject ending the conflict and trying to hold onto power. Maybe if it wasn't 7 years millions wouldn't have been displaced. Maybe if Russia let Assad get the boot the civil war would be over. Since Russia and Iran are both allied with Syria and are the big parties keeping this going they should take in the refugees. Outside of supporting Rebels how many missions has the EU conducted in Syria?

cryptoadam

Banned
Just like with Libya the civil war was orchestrated then funded and armed by the US and its allies that support actual terrorists that often allied with ISIS. Russia in this case is trying to uphold some kind of order in the Middle East by not turning another country into Libya. That doesn't mean of course that Putin is some kind of benevolent leader, Putin was always an asshole, he's just protecting his country's interests that happen to coincide with the Mddle East not turning into a hellhole. On the other hand the US interests seem to coincide with the opposite apparently...

And Russian trying to uphold the middle east has lead to Assad emptying his country. So if upholding order in the ME is so important to Russians then take in all the Syrians that are fleeing. If Assad didn't have daddy Putin to give him cover, and Iran to supply him with troops and Hezbulla he would of given up long ago and we wouldn't be 7 years into this mess with millions displaced. Russia and Iran have a lot more to do with this than the EU does, and yet the EU is taking the brunt of Refugees.

Papa

Banned

The fuck is this? I hope you’re suggesting that’s their view and not your own.

May 2018

It's a more generous policy than than the US.

After rising to a high of about 250 people a day earlier this year, the flow of migrants – many of them Nigerian nationals – has stabilised to around 70 or 80 per day, said Goodale.

And that's just Nigerians. Last year, the discussion was about Syrians.

BraveOne

Tweet is from Jan 17 , what a poorly done thread. Old ass news , trying to start a race and immigration thread again on Gaf because you ain't got shit to do m. Abit sad

Last edited:

44Forever

I think he will be surprised when Pres Trump takes him up on that offer and starts shipping all the illegals that our Border Patrol catches to Canada. We will see how long that lasts!

Panda1

Banned
I think he will be surprised when Pres Trump takes him up on that offer and starts shipping all the illegals that our Border Patrol catches to Canada. We will see how long that lasts!

Its easy to virtue signal when you are not affected by it. USA buffers canada hard and you have an ocean to seprate you from Africa/Asia migrants.

Super Mario

Banned
Its easy to virtue signal when you are not affected by it. USA buffers canada hard and you have an ocean to seprate you from Africa/Asia migrants.

Facts don't mean anything to the Liberal agenda. I wish all of these young kids all over Facebook wishing Trudeau was their leader because of statements like that would go let Trudeau be their leader already.

Top Bottom