• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective season 3 making some progress, Deadwood's Milch joins creative team

Status
Not open for further replies.
He showed up to fight Mann. Like, throwing fists.
He brought a bat!
"There was a day that David was going to kill Michael," Nolte said during a recent interview. "I guess I shouldn’t talk about this, but I’ve heard it going around so I guess it’s not a secret. It’s absolutely true. Michael hadn’t turned the film in [for an episode] and David was livid. He said to John [Ortiz], who plays the other trainer on the show, ‘I’m going to go down to the editing room and I’m going to kill Michael Mann.’"

Nolte continued: "The look on Milch's face was intense, and John was pretty upset and he says, ‘David, you really don’t want to do that. You don’t have a gun, do you?’ And Milch tells him, ‘No, I don’t have a gun but I have a baseball bat and I’m going to kill him. If I’m not back in a few hours, get my lawyers on the phone.’ John was beside himself."

What happened next?

"An hour and a half later, Milch comes back and John asks him what happened," Nolte said. "Milch says something like, ‘I went down there and kicked in the door and Mann was there hunched over the Avid [editing console] and he looked back at me and then he just kept working.’ Milch stood there for something like 15 minutes and Mann kept looking back every minute or two but he also kept working. And finally I guess Milch realized that Mann was working as fast as he could."

The actor said he later confirmed the incident with Milch and Mann and others on the "Luck" team. Nolte, who is no stranger to bare-knuckle, raw-behavior moments, shrugged it all off as just a bad day on "Luck" — and, he added, everyone was fortunate it wasn't worse.

"If Michael had been sitting there eating a sandwich when Milch kicked in the door, well, it could have been bad," Nolte said with a raspy laugh.
All according to Nolte, so take it with a grain of salt.

Zyae

Season 2 was alright, the problem was it had no hook and was just overall really depressing. At the end of the show all I thought was why did I watch this. It felt like it was made just to be made.

kevin1025

Banned
The king of detective shows helping out is a wonderful sign. I really liked the first season (didn't love it like most did), and thought the second was okay despite being super pretentious. But the show and concept is enough to make me interested in more.

I am beginning to think first season was a fluke, not gonna get hype after the colossal disaster that was season 2

They should just put it out of its misery.

OOaCegn.gif

Just like this character, it lives on for some reason.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lmao. Pizzolatto & Milch working together sounds like the synopsis for True Detective Season 3.

I'll stay cautious but optimistic about this one. Perhaps against my better judgment, I'm still excited to see what they can put out given the quality of the first season. Season 2 burned me bad - it's one of the few things where I was there in real time and felt the negativity was earned. Typically, I see internet hyperbole and scoff; here, I was surprised to find that I couldn't be as dismissive since, yeah, it really was that bad.

Obligatory:

Aegus

Will the media be sucking Pizzolatto's dick this time? The shit written about him made it sound like God had descended upon the earth.

And speaking of waiting a long time for dramas to return, any story about Milch and HBO cannot avoid addressing the extremely long-awaited return of 2006’s Deadwood (as a movie or miniseries). There is no movement on any follow-up to Milch’s former HBO show. And with star Ian McShane on the upcoming American Gods over on HBO’s premium cable rival Starz, I wouldn’t expect anything new on that front for longer still (McShane is locked up at least two years, according to a recent interview).

Milch is one of the greatest writers alive and i'll watch anything he has a hand in, but this part makes me sad

Theorry

I'll stay cautious but optimistic about this one. Perhaps against my better judgment, I'm still excited to see what they can put out given the quality of the first season. Season 2 burned me bad - it's one of the few things where I was there in real time and felt the negativity was earned. Typically, I see internet hyperbole and scoff; here, I was surprised to find that I couldn't be as dismissive since, yeah, it really was that bad.

Obligatory:

Kx4PTd7.jpg

On one hand, Milch is prodigiously talented and could conceivably make anything interesting. On the other hand, Milch is so difficult that I can't see this working. Prove me wrong, HBO.

Care to elaborate on Milch's history? Or why he's difficult to work with? I know some stuff from the issues he had on Luck.

I am beginning to think first season was a fluke, not gonna get hype after the colossal disaster that was season 2

I can't remember where exactly, but there were a lot of issues on season 2 that the executive admitted. Stuff like it's not the type of show where you just make it yearly and some shit. It made a lot of sense––it made it seem like Nick was under a lot of pressure to get out another stellar season in half the time and with a less talented cast (apart from Farrell).

kevin1025

Banned
Milch is one of the greatest writers alive and i'll watch anything he has a hand in, but this part makes me sad

As much as I want more Deadwood in any form... it's been a little too long, I think.

Plus Ian McShane on a show again! The writing won't be as perfect and Swearengen isn't in it, but McShane! On a new show!

o7LiZgf.jpg

Care to elaborate on Milch's history? Or why he's difficult to work with? I know some stuff from the issues he had on Luck.
He has a history of substance abuse, a gambling addiction, health problems, and has butted heads with coworkers and the network on just about every project he's been on. His style on Deadwood, which often resulted in extremely late rewrites for the cast, was very difficult for those acting. Granted, he's a genius and produces some amazing television, but there's a burden to working with him. If everything is structured properly for him to work effectively, they might pull it off, but I remain doubtful that they'll be able to do it on this particular project.

pswii60

I haven't watched any True Detective, but I'm considering it. Two questions:

Is Season 1 really as good as everyone says?
Is Season 2 really as bad as everyone says?

ZOONAMI

Season 2 was alright, the problem was it had no hook and was just overall really depressing. At the end of the show all I thought was why did I watch this. It felt like it was made just to be made.

Yeah it had a terrible ending.

Like see here I notice this tracking device, but I'm not gonna get rid of it because reasons. I'm then gonna mention pulling into a parking garage to lose the tail but then I'm just not going to do that either. And Vince Vaughn not driving the fuck away when it's soooooo obvious he is about to get iced. And then stillllll not taking the L and moving on with the jacket and diamonds.

Just dumb all around. Like it had to be depressing just to be depressing when less depressing options were actually more realistic.

They need to do something weird again, the swamps and the weird satanic shit of the first one gave it a sense of mistery that the 2nd season didnt have

He has a history of substance abuse, a gambling addiction, health problems, and has butted heads with coworkers and the network on just about every project he's been on. His style on Deadwood, which often resulted in extremely late rewrites for the cast, was very difficult for those acting. Granted, he's a genius and produces some amazing television, but there's a burden to working with him. If everything is structured properly for him to work effectively, they might pull it off, but I remain doubtful that they'll be able to do it on this particular project.

The story about how a certain character's death in Deadwood was decided is rather hilarious.

Catvoca

Banned

Cornballer has a goodwrite up above but to elaborate on one point, he is often known to come up with scripts like literally the day of shooting. I forget who but some actors hated working with him because of this. The best example of this was on his last episode of Hill Street Blues. He showed up to set with no script and got someone to write down what he says as he went on a 5 minute rant that became the word for word monologue one of the characters gave to end the episode. He's kind of a crazy person but he's also pretty darn talented.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
My biggest issue was to many weird oneliners. Wich is Pizzaman his trademark wich is fine and season 1 had that also. But as a viewer you need a counter for that. Because you are like "wtf did he just say?" and season 1 had Marty calling Rust out on his bullshit. Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z113cALjgl0

He tried to make everyone in season 2 Cole.

Growing up in a shitty ass town in Mississippi made me really love this line from that video you posted, it's maybe one of my favorite lines ever.

"This place is like somebody's memory of a town, and the memory is fading."

It perfectly describes small town southern towns. Pizzaman is an amazing writer, season 1 proves that, he just needs time to work on the scripts unlike S2 where he was rushed.

Rymuth

I know I'm going to sound terrible for saying this - but I'm really hoping it sucks aka on par with Season 2's quality. S2 gave us Vince posting.

I need that kind of comedy back in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom