• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective season 3 making some progress, Deadwood's Milch joins creative team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
We need more Vince Posting in here. It was the best thing 2015 gave to us other than Witcher 3 for best entertainment!

Kx4PTd7.jpg

this isn't even that bad if you read it in Swearengen's voice tbh

As much as I want more Deadwood in any form... it's been a little too long, I think.

Plus Ian McShane on a show again! The writing won't be as perfect and Swearengen isn't in it, but McShane! On a new show!

i'm super excited for that yeah, i just started reading the book today

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HBO should honestly just let it die. The IP has been tainted to such a degree that I seriously wonder whether it's even salvageable at this point.

Theorry

He tried to make everyone in season 2 Cole.

Growing up in a shitty ass town in Mississippi made me really love this line from that video you posted, it's maybe one of my favorite lines ever.

"This place is like somebody's memory of a town, and the memory is fading."

It perfectly describes small town southern towns. Pizzaman is an amazing writer, season 1 proves that, he just needs time to work on the scripts unlike S2 where he was rushed.

Yeah i agree on that. They all had crazy lines. Frank the most tho. It felt after a while way to surreal. Where in season 1 Marty was there to keep it grounded.

We need more Vince Posting in here. It was the best thing 2015 gave to us other than Witcher 3 for best entertainment!

"Early bird catches the worm, right? Well, from where I'm standing, Ray, it's just a plumper dish for the night owl."

"Some people say it's not the size of the boat but rather the motion of the ocean. Well guess what, Ray? I can't even swim. Never even had a bath."

"When I was younger, my uncle Rick took me to the batting cages every two weeks or so. I feel like I'm in the batting cages now, but someone's locked me in the cage and taken my bat. The only question left is, do I catch the balls, or do I dodge them?"

HBO should honestly just let it die. The IP has been tainted to such a degree that I seriously wonder whether it's even salvageable at this point.
They're both under contract right now and not working on anything coming up soon, so I guess HBO just wants to put them together and see what happens? No real risk for HBO aside from some (very minor) bad PR if it doesn't work out, but that's not a big deal in the face of the potential upside. They're paying them anyway...

I am beginning to think first season was a fluke, not gonna get hype after the colossal disaster that was season 2

As someone who knows nothing about the history behind its inception, Season 1 felt like it was years in the making, with Pizzolatto honing the plot and dialogue for ages before ever pitching the script. It was a slowly refined masterpiece, the magnum opus of a practiced-yet-unknown writer.

Then Season 2 came around and HBO was like "Cool, do that again but in one year."

Kinyou

My biggest issue was to many weird oneliners. Wich is Pizzaman his trademark wich is fine and season 1 had that also. But as a viewer you need a counter for that. Because you are like "wtf did he just say?" and season 1 had Marty calling Rust out on his bullshit. Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z113cALjgl0
Yes, exactly this. If this had been in season 2 Marty would have responded with some odd shit like

"It's like a memory of a childhood from a child I never had"

He has a history of substance abuse, a gambling addiction, health problems, and has butted heads with coworkers and the network on just about every project he's been on. His style on Deadwood, which often resulted in extremely late rewrites for the cast, was very difficult for those acting. Granted, he's a genius and produces some amazing television, but there's a burden to working with him. If everything is structured properly for him to work effectively, they might pull it off, but I remain doubtful that they'll be able to do it on this particular project.
Milch sounds like a real life Deadwood character.

Kadayi

Banned
Get a single director for the entire season. S2 was fine; it was just a shadow compared to the brilliance of S1.

^This. The main problem with S2 felt to me to be a lack of coherence when it came to who to give emphasis to. Instead of clearly identifying important characters early on, we were treated to these broad group shots that didn't set up an effective narrative hierarchy for viewers to get behind. That's a directoral issue in terms of execution for sure.

Frost_Ace

Season 1 is probably the most overhyped piece of television ever and season 2 was crap from the start. Not even Milch's involvment can make me hyped.

Fury451

Banned
Timothy Olyphant for one of the leads please.

All I wanted to say.

I would watch it again, which would be a huge accomplishment considering season two was a train wreck. Although since I'm being honest, I didn't really get the massive hype for the first season either, though the performances were quite good.

Thankfully the anthology format lets them cut the deadweight and move on

mlclmtckr

Banned
S2 was indeed quite bad but I thought there were actually a lot of memorable characters and lines. There was something good in there, it was just massively overshadowed by all the ridiculous bullshit lines that Vince Vaughan had to deliver and the weird pointless arbitrary plot turns.

So I'll watch season 3. Even if it's as big a failure as season 2, it will be an interesting and occasionally entertaining disaster.

S2 was indeed quite bad but I thought there were actually a lot of memorable characters and lines. There was something good in there, it was just massively overshadowed by all the ridiculous bullshit lines that Vince Vaughan had to deliver and the weird pointless arbitrary plot turns.

So I'll watch season 3. Even if it's as big a failure as season 2, it will be an interesting and occasionally entertaining disaster.

"Everything is fucking" is my favorite S2 line.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
They're both under contract right now and not working on anything coming up soon, so I guess HBO just wants to put them together and see what happens? No real risk for HBO aside from some (very minor) bad PR if it doesn't work out, but that's not a big deal in the face of the potential upside. They're paying them anyway...

True. I just thought they were busy working on other projects (Milch with the Deadwood movie (lol) and Pizzolatto on that Perry Mason thing), but I guess they both finished or quit or are on break or something.

As someone who knows nothing about the history behind its inception, Season 1 felt like it was years in the making, with Pizzolatto honing the plot and dialogue for ages before ever pitching the script. It was a slowly refined masterpiece, the magnum opus of a practiced-yet-unknown writer.

Then Season 2 came around and HBO was like "Cool, do that again but in one year."

Otherwise known as writing for television. :p

Sojgat

Well, if you're going to have grizzled dudes sitting in a bar spouting flowery dialogue at each other, at least they hired someone who can make that work.

geestack

personally really liked season 2, though i'm a sucker for california noir stories. colin farrell and his mustache carried that shit

hoping someone can reign in pizzolatto's bullshit though, dude got high on his own supply after season 1 when the cast and director clearly carried the show. if they go back to one director with a clear vision and some great actors/actresses, then i'll be interested

I haven't watched s2 yet, but I think Bosch s1 is a proper spiritual successor of True Detective. Who's with me?

i love bosch, excited for s3, and it certainly scratches my LA detective noir mystery itch, but i think true detective has a certain weirdness (especially in season 1) that bosch has yet to approach. bosch to me is like a good pulp novel whereas true d has pulp novel roots but likes to get weird every now and then. true d season 2 definitely has bosch vibes, but i feel like bosch goes with more traditional hero cop motifs

Permanently A

Pizzaman is the more pretentious fucker in the business only outdone by Max Landis. Milch is gonna hightail it out of there once it gets annoying.

Season 2 was off it's rocker. I kind of liked it, actually, in a deeply flawed and frankly absurd way.

Season 1 was great of course. This combo sounds enticing. If Milch actually contributes to the writing to help ground Pizzaman it could be excellent. That's best case scenario.

Brad Pitt and Michael Shannon as co-leads with Ian McShane as the villain.

This is also a good option.

I'd be down with Shannon playing either protagonist or antagonist. Hell, just have Shannon reprise his boardwalk empire character and retrofit him for modern day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom