• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True System Sellers. What systems have you bought for ONE game?

tass0

Banned
PS2: MGS2
PS3: MGS4

I bought PS3 just like the other guy, just to see how the legendary story ended, and to find out who are the legendary Patriots... I was EXTREMELY disapointed with MGS4 :(

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
PSP - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

not a single regret. Damn that game is awesome.

near

Gold Member
I brought a Gamecube for Wind Waker, and a DS for Phantom Hourglass. Will buy a Wii when Zelda Wii hits.

Gamecube : Super Mario Sunshine
Ps2: Metal Gear Solid 2
Ps3 Metal Gear Solid 4
Xbox: Halo 2
Xbox 360: Two worlds (baaaaaaaaaaad idea.)
Wii: Brawl
DS: Pokemon
Ps1 Tomb Raider 4
N64: Mario 64
Dreamcast: Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mega Drive/Genesis: Gunstar Heroes.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
None.

Individual games may have prompted my purchase, but I never bought into a console intending only to enjoy those games.

Dynoro

Dreamcast: Soul Calibur
SNES: Super Mario All Stars
PS2: GTA: San Andreas
PS3: R&C TOD
X360 and Xbox: no specific games
Wii: Mario kart Wii
DS: Professor Layton
PSP: Jeanne D'Arc
PC: GPUs for Crysis/HL2

Redd

NES- Mario Brothers
SNES- ALTTP
GBC- Pokemon
PS1- FFVII
N64- OOT
PS2- MGS2
PSP- Portable Ops
DS- Elite Beat Agents
PS3- MGS4
Wii- SSBB
360- L4D

Basically I go wherever MGS, Final Fantasy, an Zelda show up.

Usually always one game I bought a system for specifically at the time.

360: Dead Rising
GC: Resident Evil 4 + Remake
Dreamcast: Soul Calibur
3DO: Samurai Showdown and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Wii: .... don't know why I even bought this

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
PSX for FFVII
N64 for OoT
DC for Jet Grind Radio
Xbox for Jet Set Radio Future
GBA for Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
GC for Metroid Prime
DS for Advance Wars Dual Strike
360 for Dead Rising

tirminyl

I don't remember what got me on the NES, or Genesis. I was too poor to afford anything else so I always played my friends or cousins systems. I then went years without gaming until Diablo came out.

PC: Diablo
PS2: Gran Turismo 3
360: Gears of War
Wii: Wii Sports & Zelda
PS3: Heavenly Sword
PSP: God of War

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
PS3 for MLB.

I won't say I didn't overpay, and it hasn't exactly turned into the PS2, but it's a cool piece of tech and the series has lived up to my expectations.

Gilgamesh

Wii for No More Heroes, PSP for Megaman Powered Up and Maverick Hunter X.

Edit: Xbox for Halo and a new PC for Half-Life 2.

olimpia84

I got my NES, SNES and N64 without any "one game" in mind. But for the GC, Wii and PS3 it was more like:

GC: REmake
Wii: Zelda TP
PS3: F1 championship edition

However after I bought those consoles I ended up getting multiple games for them that I enjoyed a lot.

Grampasso

Nocebo said:
PC... no wait I bought that for the billions of games I could and still can play to this very day.
How does this fit in this thread? ?_?

Whatever:
SNES: A link to the past
N64: Ocarina of Time
GCN: Wind Waker
Wii: Twilight Princess
Saturn: Shining Wisdom (Yes, it's a Zelda clone, okay? :lol )
and my brother always bought the Playstation family console before the games I wanted to play came out (mainly FF), so thanks to my brother for having saved me a lot of money :D

duckroll

Bought a GC just for Zelda. Will buy a Wii immediately to play a new Zelda game unless I already have one by then.

randomwab

Most of the consoles I've bought have been for multiple games, but there's usually one game that makes me get the console when I do, for example;

NGC for REmake, then rebought for Resident Evil 4
N64 for Goldeneye, then again for Resident Evil Zero (I know)
Dreamcast for Resident Evil - Code: Veronica, then again years later to replay Shenmue
DS for Phoenix Wright/Resident Evil DS (They both hit on the same day in Europe)
Xbox for Doom3 (Cheaper than upgrading my PC to play it at the time, although the Xbox version was horrible)
Xbox 360 for Dead Rising
Super Nintendo for Super Metroid

There was also a ton of stuff I bought knowing games were coming, like both the PS2 and PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 2 and 4 as well as many other titles.

Carlisle

The first system I truly bought only for one game is PS3 for MGS4. I was torn between PS3 and 360, they both had good positives and annoying negatives. Ultimately MGS4 broke the tie.

I eventually got a 360 anyway about 6 months later.

Stealth Edit:
Actually I also got GameCube only for FFCC. But I eventually would have got it for REmake and MGS Twin Snakes. If there's an FF, RE, or MGS game for it, I have to get it.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
gofreak said:
Individual games may have prompted my purchase, but I never bought into a console intending only to enjoy those games
This.
Anyway, with GBA it was SabreWulf that tipped me over, which in hindsight was a pretty poor choice. Thankfully the rest of GBA library made up for that lack of foresight.

Solo

I bought every system for one game. Then more games come out, and you buy them too.

I bought N64 for Goldeneye, I bought PSX for Metal Gear Solid, I bought PS2 for MGS2, etc.

ultron87

The only system I can really think of thinking "I need to play x, so I must have this system" the original Xbox for Halo 2. Though I actually bought it quite awhile before Halo 2 came out, I don't know if I would have had I not known Halo was down the road.

Thankfully the game held up, at least when it came to the Multiplayer.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I can honestly say I've never bought any system for just one game.

It is hard for me to justify the purchase of a system if there is only one game that interests me.

Mithos

Jive Turkey said:
Nothing. A system needs a decent library before I'll consider a purchase. The closest thing I've done would be buying any Nintendo system for the Nintendo games.

I'll sign this petition..

PS2 for GTA3
PS3 for MGS4

I will buy any and all systems that future Kojima Productions games are released on. I will buy any and all future Sony systems if Uncharted will be on them.

JPB 1973

Neo Member
Gamecube: Wind Waker
PSP: FF Tactics

All Others (NES, Genesis, SNES, N64, PS, PS2, XBox, XB360, NDS, GB, GBC, GBA): no specific games

StAidan

I bought the N64 for Ocarina of Time and the DS for Phantom Hourglass.

Probably would've gotten them eventually anyway, but those games spurred the purchase.

Well there are systems where there has been "A game" that I have purchased the system for mainly, but never just one game for the system

Examples:

PS3 - MGS4 and FFXIII
N64 - Zelda OoT
GBA - Castlevania: CotM
Xbox 1 - Halo
DS - Mario 64 DS
PSP - Gran Turismo PSP
Gamecube - RE4
Wii - Metroid Prime 3

Purchased all of these with the soul purpose of buying one game, obviously I've purchased ALOT more since then:

Xbox360 - Ninja Gaiden II
Wii - Super Mario Galaxy
PSP - God of War: Chains of Olympus
PS2 - Rygar (Laugh it up)
PS1 - Soul Edge
Dreamcast - Marvel Vs. Capcom 2

Torrod

Neo Member
XBOX 360 because ... well I bought it because it was first on the market and...well...was bored

Bought the PS3 because of MGS4 and Killzone 2, and it only stays because of FF13 and GT5

Wii only because of the unique controller.

-Amon-

PS3 for MGS4
360 for Gears of War
Wii for Mario Galaxy
PS1 for Tekken 2
Snes for Super Mario World
Intellivision for Pitfall

In all these years i've bought many more, but none apart from these for a single game.

ShinNL

I'm surprised so many can actually list it.

System sellers:
PSP -> Monster Hunter Freedom
GBC -> Pokémon

Not:
GBA -> playing my GBC games on it
GBA SP -> playing my GBA games in visible conditions
GBA Micro -> bringing my GBA games with me
DS lite -> system first, games later
GameCube -> wanted a new-gen system, was the cheapest, had the best graphics imo
Wii -> system first, games later (even then it's 6 months after launch because of the continuous sell out)

Never bought PS2 or Xbox because my brother had them. He bought the PS2 originally as a DVD player.

I think I can't have that must-buy feeling with consoles because with each console I noticed I much rather watch anime or surf the net than sit behind my TV holding a controller. Portables are great for the bathroom, in bed, in the train, during breaks, etc.

bounchfx

ps3 for mgs4. best movie i've ever played.

what a shame the ps3 is :\ though I do have a couple games for it. as in three. :|

Degen

before

I'm getting a PS3 because the best fighters like Tekken are always PS-exclusive. And there's no way the FPSbox is getting RE5.

after
Fuuuu_by_Ku127.jpg

I suck... there is always one game that makes me wanna buy a new system..

Jaguar - tempest 2000 [traded in the SNES for this beast]
GBA - mariobros advance [imported from Japan]
Dreamcast - Soul Calibur [watched the demo and thaded in my PSX with 13 games and added 600 gulden]
DS - Mario64 [never played the game before and remember I said to myself, if this system flops it will be my personal Mario64 handheld]

other systems were bought because of multiple games.

Facism

MasterSystem: Sonic
Megadrive: Sonic 2
Saturn: NiGHTS
Dreamcast: Resident Evil: Code Veronica

N64: Goldeneye
Gamecube: REmake
Gameboy: Pokemon

PS1: Final Fantasy 7
PS2: Devil May Cry
PS3: Uncharted

Xbox: Panzer Dragoon Orta
Xbox360: Gears of War

PC: Quake

Great gaming out of every system listed above. The only real reason there should be for all the console war peasantry is jealousy of missing out on all the awesome games the other consoles have.

I'm pretty gutted i never got my own NES back in the day, but i used to swap my mastersystem with my cousin's nes when i was younger, so i happily enjoyed mario and that cunt Turtles level that was underwater D:

Benson

The only console I bought to play specifically one game was the Atari Jaguar for Aliens vs Predator. All the others I've had have been purchased just for gaming in general.

bryehn

PS3: Disgaea 3
Wii: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
360: Dead Rising
PS2: Grand Theft Auto III
SNES: Super Mario World

nickrempe

Neo Member
I picked up a PS3 for LittleBigPlanet, going to go get a PSP because of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite sometime soon.

Top Bottom