• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump administration denies Puerto Rico's request to waive the Jones Act

He suddenly focuses on PR.

Trump announced that he would visit Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands next week. He tweeted about Puerto Rico’s needs. He talked about Puerto Rico during a meeting on tax cuts. He raised the subject at a Rose Garden news conference with the prime minister of Spain.

Trump, who had proposed visiting Puerto Rico earlier this month, said that next Tuesday was the earliest he could get there without disrupting recovery efforts.

Even as Trump insisted he has plenty of time to prioritize both issues — “All I do is work,” he said Tuesday — criticism lingered.

TheContact

45 has the opportunity to do one right thing and finally get a W by helping out Puerto Rico but his white fan base would hate him if he helped out those dirty brownies so he will do everything he can do ignore/fuck them over and take another L

Ponn

Banned
It's okay thought. He got praised by the Governor which is all that matters to him.

The island could sink deep into the ocean for all he cares now.

Did he though? Is there audio of the conversation because Trumps interpretation and skewed reality means the governor could have been calling him a tool.

Whats sad about the whole situation about the USA and its territories is that despite not allowing them to vote in elections, you can bet your ass 100% they would go to war if one of the territories tried to secede.

necrosis

trump's justification for denying the request?

"a lot of people that work in the shipping industry…don’t want the Jones Act lifted."

fuck this horrible orange piece of shit

MaulerX

trump's justification for denying the request?

"a lot of people that work in the shipping industry…don’t want the Jones Act lifted."

fuck this horrible orange piece of shit

Read that earlier. Blatant fuckery right out in the open. Unreal.

MaulerX

thank fuck

im not giving him credit for something that should have done immediately however

Agreed.

Ignoring the hurricane for a second, why was that act still in effect, anyway?

This really should be abolished. It serves no one but only to fill the greedy pockets of a certain industry.

It should be noted that this waiver is only in effect for 10 days.

So Trump gonna Trump I guess.

Really? What a fucking joke.

Trump's handling of this is really upsetting to me. Puerto Rico doesn't deserve to be treated like this. It's indefensible.

BasicMath

Good to see that he waived the requirements. I actually think it's better that he did it now than from the start. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that ports weren't even capable of receiving ships and ships couldn't unload immediately due to damages caused by the storm. Now they're in a better position to take advantage of the temporary waiver.

Trump has his very own Katrina unfolding right now, but Americans don't care, because Puerto Rico is brown people.
It's not a state and a lot of people don't​ even know they're part of America. There's a reason why Obama, Clinton and the like tried to remind everyone of that fact with their statements on the issue.

MaulerX

Trump has his very own Katrina unfolding right now, but Americans don't care, because Puerto Rico is brown people.

It can't be that as ethnically speaking 75% of the population is white.

Ethnic groups

75.8% White
12.4% Black
3.3% Two or more races
0.5% American Indian & Alaskan Native
0.2% Asian
<0.1% Pacific Islander
7.8% Other

If anything it's a cultural and racial bias against native Spanish speakers.

This waiver should be permanent. No value comes out of this thing. Stifles the island economy, and if the President is so concerned with the residents being able to play the debt to wall street, eliminating this should allow them to move towards that .

MaulerX

I think the bigger problem is that most Americans likely don't realize that Puerto Rico is part of America

There are a lot of uneducated people in the US, no doubt. I've literally come across people that didn't realize Hawaii and Alaska were part of the US as well. No kidding.

I like how almost every legit news outlet has repeatedly called Puerto Ricans "American citizens" almost as if they knew dumbass Trump and his supporters would want to deny them sympathy/aid.

Looks like it hasn't worked.

Whether they're American citizens or not, they have brown skin and speak Spanish. That's enough for Trump to marginalize 3.4M people.

MaulerX

What?

This is how I know race is a social construct. Puerto Ricans are brown as hell.... but they identify as white?....

It's not about identifying. It's a fact. Are you forgetting that the US took PR from Spain? They're mostly white there.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Good to see that he waived the requirements. I actually think it's better that he did it now than from the start. I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, that ports weren't even capable of receiving ships and ships couldn't unload immediately due to damages caused by the storm. Now they're in a better position to take advantage of the temporary waiver.

It's not a state and a lot of people don't&#8203; even know they're part of America. There's a reason why Obama, Clinton and the like tried to remind everyone of that fact with their statements on the issue.
God, can you just keep your mouth shut instead of making yourself look like a fool defending Trump for just once? You don’t think that all would have been coordinated? Go away.

Iksenpets

Banned
So, who benefits the most from the Jones Act? US Oil companies? US shipping?

US shipping operators. Gives them control of all inter-US shipping routes by preventing foreign ships from carrying goods between US ports. Which is silly protectionism at best — who really cares if a foreign ship makes a delivery to New York, then picks up new cargo and takes it directly to Houston if they can save money by doing so versus leaving the work for a US-flagged ship — but for small outlying territories like Puerto Rico it's completely destructive. A foreign ship basically can't dock in Puerto Rico without losing its ability to then go directly to the American mainland, so they all opt to go to the mainland and drop any goods for Puerto Rico off to be carried there by American ships.

Top Bottom