• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump blames Constitution for chaos of his first 100 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazing how they just keep promoting an authoritarian regime. Screw the press, screw the constitution, barrage of executive orders. It's legit scary.

It amazing how they just keep promoting an authoritarian regime. Screw the press, screw the constitution, barrage of executive orders. It's legit scary.
I'm coming around to the idea that Trump doesn't even understand this is what he's moving toward, he's just so ignorant of politics that the idea doesn't occur to him. He's exclusively thinking about himself.

This is not an article about a man who understands the historical roles and purposes of our checks and balances.

Lucreto

xqFbvmDF3eHBa-LQTWrZxtHCijE=.gif

Which is in our Constitution.

Like, what?

You're pointing to one aspect of the Constitution, one that at least does have an underlying logic to it despite not working out in practice, and suggesting the whole document is bad.

Edit: I'm legit not one bit scared of Trump anymore. The dude doesn't REALLY want to be an autocratic dictator, he is just completely clueless how to get anything done otherwise.

abundant

I'm coming around to the idea that Trump doesn't even understand this is what he's moving toward, he's just so ignorant of politics that the idea doesn't occur to him. He's exclusively thinking about himself.

This is not an article about a man who understands the historical roles and purposes of our checks and balances.

This is pretty evident when you take into a account his past remarks of how hard being President is. Trump thought being President meant making speeches, having unchecked authority thanks to Executive Orders, and playing golf.

theWB27

This line of thinking is worse than what Trump is spewing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He knows what he wants to become, but because he doesn't know how to do it doesn't excuse his intentions.

This line of thinking is worse than what Trump is spewing. He knows exactly what he's doing. He knows what he wants to become, but because he doesn't know how to do it doesn't excuse his intentions.

He has NO clue nor ability how to do it, though, nor does anybody around him. Literally the only thing his admin is any good at is arrest and deportation of illegal immigrants, and that is both shitty and a waste of time and money but, unfortunately, 100% legal and in the presidential purview.

Take a couple of deep breaths and read this and try not to worry so much. The man is an idiot.

https://www.archives.gov/federal-register/constitution

"The Constitution provides that an amendment may be proposed either by the Congress with a two-thirds majority vote in both the House of Representatives and the Senate or by a constitutional convention called for by two-thirds of the State legislatures"

This has happened 33 times in our history with only 27 amendments being ratified by the states.

Chill out
Technically only 23 times and 17 amendments through the proper system. The Bill of Rights (first 10 amendments) was a package deal with getting the Constitution itself ratified.

Tall4Life

I just figured it out

The consitution is considered the law of the land

emphasis on law

executive orders change the enforcement of current laws

he writes an executive order that nulls the constitution

trump wins

I dunno if anyone else's local paper (yeah I know shocking, we still have a paper here in Cleveland!) had an article about the first 100 days, but there was one woman who gave him an A citing that she thinks he's accomplished a lot of stuff.

Pretty much every other person gave him a D, D- or an F. Mostly supporters gave him his one B and a few Cs.

theWB27

He has NO clue nor ability how to do it, though, nor does anybody around him. Literally the only thing his admin is any good at is arrest and deportation of illegal immigrants, and that is both shitty and a waste of time and money but, unfortunately, 100% legal and in the presidential purview.

I understand that....but that doesn't excuse his intentions or what he wants to happen. He sounds like a true republican though...the only thing they're good at is making people's lives worse.

I just figured it out

The consitution is considered the law of the land

emphasis on law

executive orders change the enforcement of current laws

he writes an executive order that nulls the constitution

trump wins

I hope he would write that EO.

Loxley

I think, quite literally, every news story we've gotten about the inner workings and goings-on of the Trump administration before and after he was sworn in have painted a picture of disorder, idiocy, and incompetence. Trump is a dumb, inexperienced person who surrounded himself with equally dumb, inexperienced people (with exceptions like McMaster). The guy doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing and appears to be winging it as he goes.

He signs executive orders with zero comprehension as to what they mean, he pushed that awful healthcare bill when he clearly had no fucking clue what it said or what it did.

If this is a president who knows what he's doing, then I would hate to see Trump on a day where he's completely clueless as to how his job works.

theWB27

I think, quite literally, every news story we've gotten about the inner workings and goings-on of the Trump administration before and after he was sworn in have painted a picture of disorder, idiocy, and incompetence. Trump is a dumb, inexperienced person who surrounded himself with equally dumb, inexperienced people (with exceptions like McMaster). The guy doesn't have a fucking clue what he's doing and appears to be winging it as he goes.

He signs executive orders with zero comprehension as to what they mean, he pushed that awful healthcare bill when he clearly had no fucking clue what it said or what it did.

If this is a president who knows what he's doing, then I would hate to see Trump on a day where he's completely clueless as to how his job works.

I think some aren't getting what I'm saying. So I'll go with this.

Paul Ryan knows what he's doing when it comes to stripping millions of people from their healthcare. He knows what his intentions are when he writes the bill.

The incompetence comes in getting his bill past that stage.

Trump knows what he's doing when he says the crap he says. He knows what he wants to become. The incompetence comes in not having a clue in getting it done. That last part agrees with everything you wrote.

The only part I disagree with is the narrative Trump doesn't know what he's pushing.

ISOM

So how long do we keep ignoring Trump could be America's first dictator and actually take action?

OJHREin.png

The only way we can take action is either a coup or continuing to build resources on the Democrats side for 2018 and 2020. Trump hasn't done enough to incite the former so we just have to be patient.

Ithil

I dunno if anyone else's local paper (yeah I know shocking, we still have a paper here in Cleveland!) had an article about the first 100 days, but there was one woman who gave him an A citing that she thinks he's accomplished a lot of stuff.

Pretty much every other person gave him a D, D- or an F. Mostly supporters gave him his one B and a few Cs.

Those people decided long ago he "accomplished loads of things and is the greatest ever", before he was even elected. Nothing he does in office matters to them, they made up their mind in advance.

Mahonay

Banned
Those people decided long ago he "accomplished loads of things and is the greatest ever", before he was even elected. Nothing he does in office matters to them, they made up their mind in advance.
"I love the poorly educated!" - Donald Trump

Diablos

Yes, well, the Constitution is to blame for his Presidency even being possible. Thanks, Electoral College, for thumbing your nose at the popular vote for the second time since 2000. I was on the fence about it before, figuring 2000 was just a fluke, but 2016 made me see the light: It's a terribly flawed system and needs to be completely abolished.

It is not what he says that amazes me, stupid people saying stupid things isnt really shocking. Its the fact that he can say it without repercussions.

That blows my mind. How does he not get raked over the coals for some of the things he has said.

He knows what he wants to do. More power which means more money for him and his kind.

He doesn't know how to get there but that's why he's surrounded himself with assholes that do.

Extreme right-wingers who want an authoritarian government isn't a new concept. They just finally found a popular figurehead who has sold the ignorant on this idea.

III-V

It is not what he says that amazes me, stupid people saying stupid things isnt really shocking. Its the fact that he can say it without repercussions.

That blows my mind. How does he not get raked over the coals for some of the things he has said.

The same way that other cult leaders and dictators can say anything without repercussion.

I mean cult leaders have convinced their followers of mass suicides. This guy is no different, and moderate republicans have played a dangerous game of bedding this monster.

Obviously there aren't enough checks an balances since we somehow still haven't removed a president who has repeatedly expressed his wishes to be a dictator

Thaedolus

So how long do we keep ignoring Trump could be America's first dictator and actually take action?

OJHREin.png

The one caveat is that he *wants* to be a dictator, thankfully so far our checks and balances have mitigated most of the damage he could be doing right now. It's still a nightmare scenario, but not quite armageddon (yet)

i-Lo

Partially it was because of the constitution that allowed a person like Trump to come into power. The constitution also allows the hateful, the irrational and the ignorant to have the same voice as their counterparts.

While I disagree with the core reason for Trump's berating of the constitution, given how the world has changed since the original was drafted and the numerous times the spirit of the amendments have been violated, perhaps certain parts of it are archaic.

PS: I say this as an outsider.

Obviously there aren't enough checks an balances since we somehow still haven't removed a president who has repeatedly expressed his wishes to be a dictator
Oh, there are checks and balances.

The problem is the country is fucked. We've reached a point where the ignorant mobs who will support a fascist regime have reached a big enough population to elect the president.

I honestly don't see a solution. Trump won because there are enough people in the U.S. with voting power/influence that think being misogynist, racist, anti-science, dictatorial, and outright ignoring fact is okay.

*I'm aware Trump lost the popular vote. But he won the electoral college, and anyone who claims Trump has a small group of supporters is delusional. He has a huge cult. And they are more organized than the Democrats, who right now are powerless and effectively vanquished.

Magwik

Banned

The problem is the country is fucked. We've reached a point where the ignorant mobs who will support a fascist regime have reached a big enough population to elect the president.

I honestly don't see a solution. Trump won because there are enough people in the U.S. with voting power/influence that think being misogynist, racist, anti-science, dictatorial, and outright ignoring fact is okay.

*I'm aware Trump lost the popular vote. But he won the electoral college, and anyone who claims Trump has a small group of supporters is delusional. He has a huge cult. And they are more organized than the Democrats, who right now are powerless and effectively vanquished.
Your concern is entirely justified. It's all out there now, half of the country is this way, and we can't just put the genie back in the bottle and ignore it.

Future

There are more people that don't agree with this nonsense (as popular vote proved). It's just hard to motivate them to get off their asses. Trump was the perfect rare mix of celebrity, non politician not in the system, voice of the "white oppressed" that was able to motivate one side of the country. It won't last.

If it was as bad as you think it is we would have elected McCain and Palin

npm0925

It's on the GOP pigfuckers to solve this problem. They've exploited their low information bigot base for years in order to enrich the 1%, but they have to stop before America goes full blown fascist.

Luckilly, his base can't make laws or touch the courts.

There are more of us than them, our side just need to get out and vote more. And we're starting to see that kind of behaviour with how close the last two special elections went.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Elections are the solution. Mid terms and the next general. Assuming he isn't impeached. Even the media seems to have taken a deep self reflective breath. Trump's assault on the press may have had unintended positive consequences.

Fox is stumbling.

Technology companies are trying to react.

The country is temporarily embarrassed and has clearly marked exit doors.

RoKKeR

“You can't go through a process like this. It's not fair. It forces you to make bad decisions. I mean, you're really forced into doing things that you would normally not do except for these archaic rules.”

This is beyond terrifying.

welcome to centralist trumpland. i truly believe he will force a constitutional change through a coup detat

this will lead to peeople saying the US constitution is bad cuz trump said so.

How did you manage to type this out without stopping and thinking about how dopey this is to post?

Do you even realize the kinds of hurdles an Amendment takes? Considering how he can't get support for even his most basic policy changes, do you really think he could manage to get unity behind an Amendment? We, luckily, do not live in a government where you can just flip a switch and overwrite the Constitution.

So how come this guy isn't impeached yet?

Because impeachment is a long, lengthy process and you usually need something substantial to actually make it stick, as it requires a two-thirds majority vote. It's not a "HE SAID A BAD THING GET HIM OUT" technique.

That said, he is looking down the barrel of a gun with how all the investigations have been going as of late. Just for making the comment, nothing will happen. But as has been seen in the 9th circuit proceedings, his comments can be excellent fodder for a case.

FStubbs

Partially it was because of the constitution that allowed a person like Trump to come into power. The constitution also allows the hateful, the irrational and the ignorant to have the same voice as their counterparts.

While I disagree with the core reason for Trump's berating of the constitution, given how the world has changed since the original was drafted and the numerous times the spirit of the amendments have been violated, perhaps certain parts of it are archaic.

PS: I say this as an outsider.

Nope.

Given how the electoral college works and where people live in the USA, the hateful, irrational and the ignorant have a much louder voice than their counterparts.

Shoeless

I think it's a bit more depressing than that. If the statistics for voter turnout are accurate, then it's not so much that racist-motivated votes outnumbered the others, it's just that the others didn't bother to show up to oppose it.

When you think about other countries that are struggling just to have any kind of democracy then look at the USA and realize that Trump got in power because voters failed to heed the old cliche of "good men doing nothing," it's kind of astounding and demoralizing at the same time. People could have come out and prevented Trump from taking the election, but actually chose to stay home instead, believing that not voting was actually a preferable outcome, and that made all the difference.

Is because hes been speakin to Erdogan and Duterte. Watch. Thats how his mind works.

womfalcs3

Banned
This story has yet to be reported on by CNN. The quote about checks and balances seems made up. Like a child would say it.

Constitutional limitations are the only things keeping Trump from doing what Erdogan is doing and there's actually someone dumb enough on earth to conflate their desire for reforms with what Trump wants?

How can educated people be so dumb in the face of extremism?

Shoeless

Constitutional limitations are the only things keeping Trump from doing what Erdogan is doing and there's actually someone dumb enough on earth to conflate their desire for reforms with what Trump wants?

How can educated people be so dumb in the face of extremism?

Impatience. When people see a lack of action, a lot of red tape, or compromised agendas that ignore what they feel are important issues, they always flock to someone with some variation of the mandate "I can get things done."

People forget after a while that the bureaucracy that's slowing things down is often designed to obstruct people that abuse executive power. But when you want it done, and you want it done now, someone promising to be a "strong leader" who will get fast results often wins people over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom